How to Cut Large Diameter Polypropylene Pipes
Polypropylene pipes are widely used in the organization of water supply systems. To work with such material requires special tools. High-quality cutting tools greatly facilitate the installation process. About what is better to cut polypropylene pipes will be discussed in this article.
In the construction market, most often you can see polypropylene pipes 12 meters long. When installing a water supply system or underfloor heating, the task often arises of cutting products into shorter lengths. For these purposes, a special tool is needed. The speed and ease of installation depends on convenient and high-quality cutting.
There are many types of devices for cutting PPR. Specialized tools are equipped with a sharp blade, as polypropylene is a durable material. Using a poor quality tool can severely damage the pipe. In addition, uneven cut fishing line will negatively affect the quality of installation.
When connecting elements of a water supply system end-to-end, it is important to ensure that the sealing of the joints is at a high level. Otherwise, it may cause leakage. For this reason, it is recommended to use special scissors for cutting pipes.
Instead of special tools, polypropylene pipes can be cut with a hacksaw for metal. However, this method of cutting is more time-consuming and less quality, as roughness remains at the edges of the cut, and the fishing line itself in most cases turns out to be uneven.
There are many modifications of tools for cutting polypropylene pipes. Each type has its own design features and specifications.
The following types of devices can be distinguished:
- Precision scissors;
- Manual roller pipe cutter;
- Ratchet device;
- Cordless pipe cutter;
- Pipe cutter guillotine.
Precision tools have a fairly simple design. You can work with such a device with one hand. Such scissors are suitable for cutting pipes with a diameter of 3 to 41.5 millimeters. The device is equipped with a blade made of alloy steel. This option is suitable for small jobs.
The roll type pipe cutter is an arc-shaped body with a handle, equipped with casters and a flat round blade. The rollers perform the function of rotating the pipe, and the blade is equipped with a retractable mechanism. The cost of this model is low. However, the roller type tool is convenient in operation and allows smooth cuts at an angle of 90 degrees.
Ratchet tools are a more convenient modification of roller scissors. Such devices are easy to use: a support and a cutting rail with a blade make it easy to open and close them without much effort. Thanks to its wide support, the tube is firmly fixed in the device. A sharp blade easily cuts through the material, not allowing it to change position. You can work with such a tool with one hand, without making special physical efforts.
Cordless scissors have a high pipe cutting speed. Basically, such a tool is used by masters in the installation of water supply systems. The device is equipped with a small electric motor. This allows you to quickly and effortlessly cut pipes into a large number of segments.
Pipe cutter-guillotine is used for cutting large diameter pipes (from 63 to 350 millimeters). The cutting tool is equipped with a sharp Teflon-coated blade. When cutting with such a device, the edges of the obtained pipe sections are perfectly flat and smooth.
It is worth noting that various modifications of scissors differ depending on the diameter of the pipes that they can cut. Models for small products (up to 42 mm) cost less than pipe cutters with diameters from 75 millimeters.
Browse Popular Models
Valtec brand guillotine pipe cutter is designed for cutting pipes with a diameter of not more than 3.2 centimeters. The device is equipped with a ratchet mechanism, which ensures high quality cutting of plastic products. When working with a pipe cutter, you do not need to independently open the support and the cutting rail after cutting, since the tool is equipped with a spring that returns structural elements to their original open position.
The Inforce ratchet cutter features a good price / quality ratio. The device is designed for cutting pipes with a diameter of up to 4.2 centimeters. The tool is equipped with a sharpened steel blade, which allows you to make a quality cut without roughness and roughness.
The disadvantage of this device can be considered metal handles, on which there are no rubber linings. With a large amount of work, using such a tool will not be very convenient.
Rothenberger pipe cutters are of high quality and convenient design. A cutter for polypropylene pipes is able to cut through products with a diameter of from 0.6 to 4.2 centimeters. The cutting element of the device is very sharp and durable, which allows you to cut pipes with thick walls, without leaving any defects in place of the cut.
The tool handles are equipped with a latch, which allows safe storage of the tool, and also allows you to carry it with you. There are rubber pads on the handles, which makes working with the tool more convenient. Also on the case there is a special button, when pressed, the support and the cutting bar return to their original open position. The disadvantages of these devices include a rather high cost compared to analogues from other manufacturers.
How to choose?
When choosing the right tool for cutting polypropylene pipes, it is necessary to evaluate the technical characteristics and functionality of each option. Devices may vary in some design features, price and quality.
- Blade quality. It is desirable that this element be made of stainless steel. The value of the sharpening angle of the part, which should be 30 degrees, is also important.
- The handle of the device. She should fit comfortably in her hand. Otherwise, it will be quite difficult to perform high-quality pipe cutting. It is most convenient to work with a tool whose handles are rubberized.
- Reliability of a support for pipes. This element should be stable and fairly wide. Otherwise, the pipe will be poorly fixed between the support and the blade rail, which will lead to an uneven cross-section.
- It is desirable that the device be equipped with an automatic retraction of the support and the rails with the blade, so that these elements return to the open position after cutting.
It is also worth considering the degree of need for adaptation. If you plan to use the tool for personal needs only once, then there is no point in acquiring an expensive model. In this case, it is necessary to select the device with the best ratio of price and quality. Electronic tools are needed for craftsmen who often face the challenge of cutting large numbers of polypropylene pipes.
Another important factor affecting the choice of scissors is the diameter of the pipes. In size and some characteristics, polypropylene pipes, for work with which special scissors are required, can be divided into several types.
- Pn 10. Such products are intended for cold water supply systems, as well as for underfloor heating. Such pipes can withstand the effects of coolant temperatures within 45 degrees and a pressure of not more than 1 MPa.
- Pn 16. This modification is used for laying central heating. The pressure inside the pipe should not be too high.
- Pn 20. This kind of pipe has a universal purpose. The product can be used for laying the system not only cold water, but also hot. Products can withstand the internal effects of temperatures no more than 80 degrees.
- Pipes PN 25 are products coated with aluminum foil. This material makes it possible for pipes to withstand high temperatures (95 degrees) and a pressure of about 2.5 MPa.
How to use?
The process of cutting polypropylene pipes will largely depend on the tool used.
There are several key points of this process.
- First of all, it is important to make accurate measurements of the required lengths and make marks on the pipe.
- Then it is necessary to open the tool and place the pipe with a mark on the blade. To make the blade easier to enter the material, on the marked area, you can pre-make a small incision with a knife.
- With smooth movements, but with the application of certain efforts, it is necessary to press on the tool handles. Acting too fast is not worth it, otherwise the pipe may change its position, and the cut will be uneven. It is also important to monitor the angle of the cut, which should be exactly 90 degrees.
As noted earlier, the intricacies of working with the device depend on its type. After buying a pair of scissors, you should carefully read the instructions. Before the main work, you can also practice cutting pipes on unnecessary cuts (if, of course, there are any).