How to cut masking tape in half
Stock of soap bubble solution
Bubbles can be blown almost endlessly. At least until the solution runs out. For this to happen soon, make a large supply: 3.5 liters of water, a glass of dishwashing liquid, a tablespoon of glycerin. The barrel of solution is ready!
Frozen Dinosaur Egg
If your child loves dinosaurs, show him how ancient dinosaurs hatched from eggs. Put a dinosaur figurine in a balloon and fill it with tinted water, then send the balloon to the freezer. When the water freezes, call the young paleontologists. Remove the “shell” of the ball from the eggs, examine the dinosaur in the ice. You can get the toy with a small hammer (only you need to do this with swimming goggles so that small ice floes do not damage your eyes).
Science experiment with balloons
Show your child a chemical experiment in the kitchen. Put a spoonful of baking soda in a balloon and vinegar in an empty plastic bottle. Place the ball on the neck of the bottle and secure it tightly. Gradually pour the baking soda from the ball into the bottle. The neutralization reaction will lead to the release of a large amount of carbon dioxide, which will inflate the balloon.
DIY mass for modeling
Stir the glue and water in a bowl, add a few drops of dye. Dissolve borax in half a glass of warm water and pour the solution into colored glue, continuing to stir the mass. When the mass thickens and begins to stretch, knead it with your hands like dough, and in a few minutes you will have a plastic mass in your hands that does not stick to surfaces and does not smell! You can even inflate bubbles from it.
Speed games: be in time in one minute
Almost any object in the house can be turned into play equipment if you collect something at speed for one minute.
- Collect candies and marshmallows with Chinese sticks. who is more?
- Build the tallest tower from coins or plastic cups.
- Throw more socks into the laundry basket.
- Don’t let the ball fall to the floor for a minute.
Painting without spots
If you pour a little shower gel mixed with dyes into a sturdy, hermetically sealed bag, your child will be able to draw futuristic pictures with their fingers and not get dirty.!
Drawing on sandwiches
Rainbow on toast and to do, and there is a lot of fun. Ingredients: loaf, condensed milk, food coloring. Dissolve a few drops of paint in condensed milk, paint the loaf with clean brushes. Enjoy your meal.
Drawing is fun when you turn drawings into stickers. To do this, you just need to give the children self-adhesive paper instead of a regular album.
How to wipe scotch tape from glass?
There are different ways to wipe the tape off the glass surface, the choice of which is determined based on its type.
The most easily removed rubber adhesive. So, if you wipe the glass with a cloth immediately after removing the mounting tape, all traces of the tape will be removed. If the traces are old, you will need to use the following methods:
- Rub the dirty areas with a stationery eraser.
- Treat traces with a rag dipped in a mixture of turpentine and R-5 solvent.
- If vegetable oil or drying oil was used to remove the masking tape, in order to wash off the traces, you will need to wipe the glass with a soft cloth dipped in a degreaser. It can be a common dishwashing detergent.
How to wipe scotch tape from glass and wash glue from it?
Depending on the base of the adhesive tape, the ease of its removal from the glass base is determined, therefore, below we will consider how to wash the glass depending on the type of adhesive tape. It is equally important to successfully cope with traces of scotch tape, because if they are not eliminated, dust and dirt will subsequently accumulate on them, black spots are formed.
After successfully removing the tape, you can remove the remaining glue by the following means:
Composition used in everyday life: White spirit, solvent, kerosene, gasoline.
How to deal with traces of scotch tape, you can learn from the following
Industrial products for removing adhesive from surfaces
The industry produces special products for removing adhesive from adhesive tape from any surfaces:
- The most famous is Sticker Remover. It removes glue from any surface. Available in various forms: pencil, spray and liquid. This product can be applied to different types of adhesives.
- The most difficult stains can be removed with the Kiehl Tablefit. This product is available in the form of a liquid, applied to a napkin using a spray bottle.
- In just half a minute, you can remove dirt from the glue using the Taygeta C-405 stain remover. It is applied with a spray gun to the surface of the glass, wait a little while the glue reacts with the agent and wipe it off with a dry cloth.
- Masking tape traces are removed with Formula X-5. It comes in liquid form.
- Super CMF-240 is considered a dirt release agent but does not remove adhesive quickly enough. However, this remedy is considered hypoallergenic and is suitable for everyone.
- Merida Impet is an alkaline remover that removes stubborn dirt and can be used to remove adhesive traces from adhesive tape. It is applied to the contaminated surface and wait about 2-3 minutes.
- Profoam 2000 multipurpose agent can perfectly cope with glue-soiled surfaces.
How to remove traces?
What traces remain from the tape? These are traces of glue, the type of which depends on the type of adhesive tape:
- Packaging and stationery tape is greased with acrylic glue. They are also covered with double-sided tape, as well as assembly, that is, construction.
- Masking tape is lubricated with rubber glue.
Next, let’s look at how to remove both types of tape marks:
It is easiest to remove masking tape from glass, because it is made of paper and absorbs moisture and oil well. Before removing the masking tape, which has already been glued for a long time, it must be moistened with hot water and wait until it is absorbed, after a few minutes the water will reach the glue. Once the tape is wet, it can be easily removed from the glass.
If the simplest method did not help, then you can resort to other cleaning methods:
- Use refined gasoline and ethyl acetate. Mix them in equal proportions and wipe the problem area.
- Apply vegetable oil. The scotch tape must be greased with oil and wait until it is absorbed, then try to remove it with a rag dipped in oil or drying oil.
- Apply essential oil. When working with essential oil, you must wear rubber gloves, and then act as with vegetable oil.
It can have a different basis, from crepe paper to fabric.
It is used as an alternative to glue, since the adhesive layer is applied on both sides of the base material.
There are also varieties in the form of an adhesive strip without a base at all.
For clear lines
There are, in turn, two categories: budget standard and expensive premium.
The last version is super-thin, made on the basis of Japanese paper, the thickness of which can be compared only with tissue paper, designed to create especially precise lines.
, depending on the winding.
What you need to know about masking tape?
In the production of masking tape, the following adhesive layers are mainly used:
- Rubber (rubber). the least heat resistant, however, has the best adhesion.
- Acrylic. has good tack over a wide temperature range, from minus to about 150 degrees above zero.
- Silicone. capable of withstanding up to 260 degrees, and therefore is applied to a heat-resistant base, used in appropriate conditions.
Within each listed type, there may be minor compositional variations.
Suitable for outdoor use, as it is often not easily resistant to moisture, and completely waterproof.
In addition to painting work, masking tape is successfully used to solve a wide range of other tasks:
- If suddenly any small parts turned out to be without packaging, they can be glued to a piece of masking tape to avoid loss. Convenient when organizing a temporary workplace.
- With the help of a crepe tape, you can apply markings and make notes, any inscriptions on any basis, including a wall with wallpaper, glass, tiles. This feature is extremely useful both in everyday life and in logistics.
- In order to carefully collect the resulting dust and debris while drilling the wall without using a vacuum cleaner, it is enough to make an envelope out of a sheet of plain paper, and then glue it with crepe tape under the entry point of the drill directly to the wallpaper. By the way, by pasting the drill with adhesive tape in a circle at a certain distance from the edge, you can create an impromptu drilling depth limiter.
- Fix the edge of a long tape in a certain place, masking tape is also suitable, with which the measuring cloth is fixedly glued to the measured surface.
- If you want to perform precise drilling of a smooth material, on the surface of which the drill simply slides (glass, tiles), it is enough to stick a crepe tape on it. This will allow both to mark the point of entry of the drill into the material, and to prevent it from sliding.
Among other things, with masking tape you can seal windows for the winter, safely collect fragments of broken glass.
You can also protect the door leaf with tape during installation by pasting it along with the frame around the perimeter.
Crepp is used when sealing seams and joints with a sealant, which avoids the latter from getting on the adjacent surface.
How to choose masking tape?
The choice of masking tape should begin with determining the width and length of its tape, which will be required to complete a particular task.
The standard winding is 50 mm by 50 m.
Wide options are suitable for insulating windows, while narrow ones have sufficient lateral flexibility to form curved borders in long sections.
Nevertheless, to create curly lines, it is better to buy a radius masking tape created for these purposes.
The thickness of the base of the adhesive tape is already its qualitative characteristic, it directly affects its tensile strength.
In domestic use, the optimal choice between thickness and quality is 125 microns, but for reliability it is better to look towards 135. 140 microns.
Craftsmen who have increased requirements for the result of painting work are advised to give preference to high-quality brand names.
Depending on the conditions of use of the masking tape, it is important to pay attention to its moisture and heat resistance, resistance to ultraviolet radiation, as well as the recommended gluing time, after which it will be rather difficult to get rid of both the tape itself and the remaining adhesive.
According to GOST 18251-87, the labeling of the adhesive paper tape contains its brand (A, A1, B, B1, B2, B3, D, depending on the purpose) and width.
On the packaging of modern masking tape, its technical characteristics and purpose are usually indicated, and on individual reels the width and length of the wound tape.
Common specification for masking tape is paper crepe.
This is a tape made of crepe paper, on the surface of which a layer of adhesive is applied in the form of an adhesive made of natural or synthetic rubber.
- High adhesion to both smooth surfaces and materials with porosity.
- Frost resistance up to 10 ° С, temperature ceiling 60 °. 120 °.
- Resistance to weather conditions, moisture, direct UV rays (not always).
- Relatively high strength, however, low edge tear resistance.
- Resistance to solvents, compatibility with all types of paintwork (also not always).
In addition to paper, creped tapes are made from aluminum foil, polyethylene foam, polypropylene and a multi-colored fabric base.
For solving special problems, the buyer is offered a bitumen tape.
How to replace masking tape
In everyday life, we often come across such a thing as masking tape. There are many options for its use, it is especially often used when performing construction work.
What is masking tape
Masking tape (crepe) is a special tape with an adhesive layer on a paper, slightly rough basis of light weight.
On one surface there is a natural rubber glue, on the other. a corrugated base, which is made of paper. Due to its structure, this layer is capable of absorbing paint and other liquids and prevents them from spreading.
It is worth noting that any repair leads to two main problems:
- How to clearly set paint boundaries so that they do not flow and there is a clear border.
- How to smoothly glue the wallpaper.
Crepe tape is necessary in order to produce an even pasting of wallpaper, as well as to paint the walls correctly and evenly, especially if it is necessary to apply a geometric pattern.
At the same time, the tape is made of a material that does not leave glue marks on the surface. Often, the tape is not always enough, but it is necessary to complete the painting or pasting. The question arises: how can you make a replacement??
What can replace masking tape?
Is it possible to replace masking tape with something else? In this article I will describe the main ways to replace the well-known masking tape.
Most often, people use sliced newspaper strips soaked in a saturated soap solution as an alternative material. This allows newsprint to adhere to glass and mirror surfaces. This method is good to use when painting window frames.
After carrying out a number of necessary work, the paper can be easily removed. When used on other surfaces, in some cases, you can get by with ordinary electrical tape made of polyvinyl chloride.
It should be noted that the electrical tape can have different adhesive properties and a different adhesive composition in structure. Therefore, it is worth conducting a preliminary experiment for residual traces on the proposed working surface.
In the event that you use masking tape for packaging something, and not for construction purposes, you can use another alternative solution.
Either paper or plastic wrap is placed under ordinary scotch tape, leaving insignificant areas for a more reliable attachment.
In this case, even if there are minor traces of the glue base, they can be easily removed with a solution of warm soapy emulsion, and if the glue is old and dry, then with special chemical compounds.
In extremely rare cases, especially in car services, you can find examples of replacing masking tape with a metallized tape with an adhesive layer, which is usually made of thin aluminum and looks like a foil wound into a roll.
Due to the additional properties associated with the transfer of such a tape of high temperatures, it can be used not only for marking elements in a car, but also for working in the engine compartment.
How to wash scotch tape: testing 10 products on different surfaces
How to remove scotch marks
The school eraser works wonders for removing even the oldest scotch tape. The dirt is removed like pencil marks in an album, and all that remains is to brush away the specks with a damp soft cloth. This method is equally suitable for electrical engineering, and for plastic windows, for furniture or for toys.
To begin with, we will list the means that help wash the glue from the adhesive tape, and how to use them.
- Vegetable oil
Pour directly onto the trail or attach an oiled cotton pad. Leave to soak for a couple of hours. Then wipe off the remaining glue, and wash off the oil with soapy water. Suitable for removing adhesive tape marks on all hard and leather surfaces, except for those that absorb liquids. For example, not suitable for untreated wood.
- Natural essential oil
Try to use colorless and with a smell, from which you will not turn back later. It soaks glue more effectively than edible oil, making it easier to wipe off the tape. Evaporates quickly from the surface, but cheap ones contain non-volatile resins. so that there is no stain, carefully wipe the surface with a dry cloth.
Circle / Round FACE MASK PATTERN for Beginners (A Quick STARTER Guide!)
- School eraser
Removes marks on any surface where it is possible to rub properly. Disadvantage: It takes a lot of effort and time if the tape is large. Women’s fingers will definitely get tired.
- White spirit, refined gasoline for lighters, kerosene
Apply to a cotton pad and wipe the dirty area. These powerful solvents can remove adhesive tape marks even a century ago. But toxic (it is better not to use it indoors and on children’s things), flammable (you cannot process surfaces near a fire), can leave traces. They also need to be washed off with soapy water.
- Rubbing alcohol, acetone, nail polish remover
The most versatile tools, slightly less powerful than the previous ones. Suitable for removing adhesive from tape on most surfaces, including fabrics. But they can spoil plastic, varnished and painted surfaces.
- Vinegar, window cleaner
They do not cope with all traces, but they are quite sparing. Can be used on delicate materials.
- Household detergents
Apply regular dishwashing gel foamed in hot water to the remaining glue and leave for a while. A slurry made from water and baking soda will also work. But after these funds, the surface must be rinsed and wiped dry. As with all abrasives, use baking soda with caution on varnished, painted and glass surfaces.
- Special label removers
Sold in spray, liquid or pencil form. For what surfaces they are effective for and how they are applied, read the instructions for the product.
- Cleaning Powders
They remove traces of adhesive tape both by chemical action and mechanically, like abrasives. Scratches delicate surfaces.
Will rub for you. Use a special rubber grommet or adapt the valve for tubeless tires. Run at medium speed to avoid damaging the surface.
The trickiest method is another scotch tape. Place a fresh piece of duct tape on the glue stain and tear off sharply. The result is not always guaranteed, but no surface is harmed.
Products containing alcohol
If you hesitate and the glue has long been absorbed into the surface, you can try to remove it using alcohol-containing liquids. It can be ordinary vodka, alcohol, alcohol-based lotion (the lotion should not have a color, otherwise it may negatively affect the painted surface).
Soak a sponge or cloth in liquid and carefully remove any traces of masking tape. First, this must be done in a place that is out of sight, since the result may not be the best, because not all types of plastic are equally well tolerated by alcohol compounds (deformation may occur or the color may change)
Tip: rubbing alcohol is best suited for this purpose. Moisten a cloth with it and the glue remaining after the tape, rinse it with detergent.
Removal with soda
Another safe method is to prepare a composition to remove traces of masking tape with your own hands. You can use ordinary baking soda for this purpose, dilute it with water to get a creamy mass. Now apply on tape marks, wait about 2-3 minutes. The composition is removed with a cloth soaked in water. Repeat the procedure if necessary.
The most popular, but at the same time unusual, way to remove traces of masking tape on plastic is to use regular toothpaste. Toothpaste is applied to the traces of glue, wait from 5 to 10 minutes and wipe with a dry cloth. Finally, the surface is rinsed with clean water.
This method is dangerous in that there is a great chance to put a greasy stain, which is much more difficult to remove than the remains of masking tape. But nevertheless, despite this, painters resort to this method. Any vegetable oil (sunflower, olive and any other) will do. Soak a scotch tape in oil, wait 15 minutes. Then start peeling off the tape. Traces can be easily erased with a sponge. After that, you need to rinse the surface with soap and water.
White spirit and gasoline
Gasoline or white spirit is sometimes used to clean up traces of scotch tape. The main thing is that they are free of various impurities. These substances quickly dissolve the glue and effectively remove it, but they are very dangerous in terms of damaging the surface, so you need to be very careful when applying them. It is better to try it on some test piece of material, otherwise you can ruin the product. If after 10 minutes the color and shape of the material has not changed, then the work can be carried out.
How to remove traces of masking tape
When painting surfaces, masking tape is often used. It greatly facilitates the work, allowing you to get a clear border for the separation of colors. It is a tape of different widths, on one side of which an adhesive is applied. Having a huge number of advantages, masking tape has one significant drawback. it sometimes happens that it partially remains on the surface after an attempt to remove.
In such cases, you need to immediately remove the masking tape. This is done first with a spatula or razor blade, be very careful not to scratch the surface. After removing the masking tape itself, traces often remain. Let’s consider several ways to remove them.
Removing scotch marks with acetone
You can also try to remove glue marks using acetone, but this is quite dangerous, as it can damage the surface or paint with this substance. As a safer option. wipes or liquid intended for nail polish remover (different types of formulations may contain acetone in small amounts or not at all). It may be better to play it safe and take without acetone.