How to Cut OSB Plate Video
Oriented particle boards are often used for exterior decoration of building facades and interior work. Their characteristic, rough structure does not always correspond to the style of the room or the desire of the owner of the house, so the surface is covered with paints and varnishes. Tips on how and how to paint OSB, properly prepare the material for coating, are collected in the material.
Osb (OSB) or oriented particle board. This is a sheet of building material from woodworking products (most often, flat coniferous shavings) glued in 3-4 layers.
The material is formed by hot pressing. A water-resistant phenol-formaldehyde resin with the addition of synthetic wax and boric acid acts as a binder.
The whole plate has a thickness of up to 3.8 cm and a length of up to 2.5 m. For production, chips of a strictly defined size are used: from 0.6 to 4 cm in width and 18 cm in length. The order of the layers in the sheet also matters: the inner ones are laid transversely, and the outer ones along.
This structure gives the material the properties of a sheet of plywood:
- Increases rigidity
- Prevents deformation during installation
- Increases resistance to mechanical damage
Application of OSB panels
Osb is used as a rough flooring (under a laminate, carpet, linoleum) or wall material for construction:
- Temporary structures
- Small architectural forms
- Converting an attic into a living room
The material is also used as raw material for the production of sandwich panels, I-beams, wooden beams, as a roofing under a bituminous tile on a roof and the bearing designs of a shield formwork.
Osb competes with bakelite and ordinary plywood as a structural material, and fiberboard, particleboard and drywall. As a finish.
Advantages and disadvantages
Pressed chip sheets
Oriented particle boards in some operational characteristics surpass other building materials from woodworking products:
- Show higher fire resistance than fiberboard, particle board, incombustibility
- Do not have defects in the structure of the material (delamination, air voids, knots), unlike solid wood
- Lower time costs compared to other finishes
- Provide high heat and sound insulation
- Cost less than other wood chip materials
- Outwardly little different from a tree
- Not affected by woodworm insects
- Easy to process (drill, cut, glue and paint)
- Lighter than cement bonded particleboards /
- However, OSB does not provide vapor permeability.
- When heated, it can release harmful substances (due to the phenol-formaldehyde resin in the composition).
- When used in interior decoration, sheets must be painted or covered with other decorative material.
Types of plates
There are 4 types of plates, depending on the indicators of resistance to moisture and mechanical stress.
Sheet material depending on the outer coating is:
According to the method of decoration, the elements are distinguished:
- With straight edges
- Milled (to simplify installation) on both sides
- Milled on four sides
Manufacturers and prices
The most widespread on the market are chip sheets produced in Germany, Romania, Canada and Russia. The main brands with for 1 sheet are presented in the table:
The most high-quality (but also the most expensive) are the German sheets of Glutenz, Canadian products have proven themselves well: Arbek and Norbord. Among the Russian-made building materials, OSB brands of Kalevala and Talion are popular.
Preparation for painting
Painting Chip Sheets
Before you start applying the coloring product to the material indoors, it is prepared. The quality of the preparation depends on the adhesion of the paint and the durability of the structure.
Prepare already mounted elements in the following sequence:
- Sanding with sandpaper or a grinding machine to eliminate unevenness and mask the recognizable texture of OSB. Especially carefully polished sheets OSB-3 and OSB-4, where you need to remove the wax (varnish) protective coating. Skipping this step, there is a risk of flaking chips and large chips
- Blowing joints from wood dust after grinding
- Alignment in places of fastening with screws using putty mixtures based on glue and oil, “liquid nails”
- Stripping dried putty with a fine sandpaper to get a flat surface
- Processing with specialized emulsions, which give the material additional resistance to moisture, burning, fungi, mold
- Primer with a mixture of alkyd varnish with water or white spirit (in a ratio of 1 to 10). An adhesion primer is also suitable, which will not allow the essential oils in the plate structure to appear through a light pigment. If OSB-3 and OSB-4 are primed, then compositions are chosen for applying decorative plaster or mosaic
- Along the perimeter, each element is painted over with a brush in 3 layers, the inner space is worked out with a roller in 1 layer in one direction
- Allow the paint to dry completely and coat it with a second coat
How to choose a composition for coloring
Choice of paint for wood-based panels
To choose a paint for coating sheet chip material, it is recommended to pay attention to its properties such as:
- Uv protection negative effects of the atmosphere (rain, snow sticking), fire, rot, mold
- The presence of flame retardant additives, as well as hitch-boosting characteristics
- Traction parameters
- Number of layers (to calculate the consumption per 1 m2)
It is also worth considering the age of the plates (the older the OSB, the worse it lays on the surface) and their condition (before painting, the surface is cleaned of dirt, a layer of old paint, treated with antiseptics).
Ways of painting indoors
Chipboards in interior decoration
Osb is coated with paints and varnishes so that:
- Additionally protect the material from moisture and reduce the risk of fire
- To mask the texture of the plates for interior decoration and add decorativeness
- Save on plasterboard or MDF paneling
Osb Wall Panels
For internal work, particle boards cover:
- Oil paint. It has high viscosity and is not absorbed into the material. Provides a reliable, durable coating, but dries for a long time
- Alkyd paint or enamel. It penetrates deeply into the structure of the chips, so the material does not need to be varnished on top
- Stain. With this type of painting, the natural texture of the slab remains visible. On top of the building material is coated with polyurethane or vinyl varnish for fixing. The desired tone can be obtained by diluting the composition with water, acetone or a solvent
- Glaze azure. Transparent thin paint allows the chip to retain its structure and only slightly shades the color
- Transparent varnish or impregnation to preserve the natural texture of the plates
How to paint the panels outside
Paint plates outside
For external finishing works. Facade decoration, installation of partitions and flooring. Oriented particle boards are coated with impregnations, varnishes and paints:
When choosing a material for painting, it is better to dwell on such compositions that contain special additives, protective boards against UV radiation.
The coating must also be vapor permeable, otherwise mold will form on the boards. An impermeable coating may cause warping of sheet building materials.
It consists of vegetable resins, film formers (glyphthal or pentaphthal), pigments, refined kerosene, fillers and antiseptics. After coating and drying, a film remains on the surface of the material, which provides additional OSB strength.
Quickly dries, non-toxic, creates a waterproof layer, protects against temperature changes. However, it has a pungent odor and is prone to fire.
If such a composition is applied to the plate until completely dry, then bubbles and peeling form on the surface. Such a coating significantly reduces the cost of finishing, because the alkyd composition eliminates the final impregnation of varnish.
Water emulsion mixture
The composition of the two-phase mixture includes water and acrylic, fillers, film formers, pigments and a number of functional additives. After drying, the water evaporates, and the polymer layer gives the stove improved performance.
In addition to such advantages of the paint as quick drying, nontoxicity and the absence of a pungent odor, the advantages include:
- Low price
- Variety of colors
- High resistance to fire and moisture
- Ease of application
- Service life up to 10 years and above
Water-dispersed relief paint with the addition of marble dust or fine fractions is also used for decoration. Its cost is higher than that of traditional water-based paint, but due to the relief, a beautiful decorative look is obtained.
A kind of water-based paint, but instead of acrylic, the latex additive (based on vinyl, polyvinyl, silicone) acts as a binder. The composition is elastic, viscous and durable, gives the surface the characteristics of resistance to moisture, aggressive chemicals, UV radiation and temperature changes.
The paint is non-toxic and odorless. Using latex, you can get both a smooth coating and a relief.
Acrylic based coating
Acrylic Copolymer Paints
Such raw materials well cover roughnesses of the structure and give a uniform tone. It consists of polymers, water and dye, after drying it leaves a durable film on the surface of the material. It can be matte and glossy, in the assortment there are many colors that do not need additional tinting.
The acrylic composition does not spread, does not fade, dries quickly, has the ability to pass steam, but be resistant to moisture. It is often used for internal work, as it is non-toxic and does not emit harmful substances into the atmosphere when heated.
Raw materials using drying oil are rarely used due to their high toxicity and long drying time.
The oil composition leaves a lot of smudges and bumps, while the coating does not last long, quickly sprinkling and peeling off the surface.
Paint and varnish material Soppka
In addition to adding decorativeness to the plates, painting can also be aimed at improving the operational characteristics of OSB. Chipboards when ignited emit corrosive phenolic smoke, which is dangerous for humans, so it is important to cover the material with fire-retardant solutions.
Especially for increasing the resistance of the chipboard to fire, Soppka paint is produced. The composition also prevents the development of mold in poorly ventilated rooms.
The paint is much more viscous and thicker than conventional antiseptics, and creates a protective transparent film on the surface of the material. The mixture is evenly absorbed in the OSB, despite the presence of resins in it, and is not washed out by the rain over time.
For fire protection, a non-specialized, but high-quality facade azure Valtti Color Sateen from the manufacturer Tikkurila is also suitable. It has high hiding power, does not fade in the sun and prevents rotting of wood.
The best paints for OSB
Paints and varnishes that are best suited for painting OSB-plates with their operational characteristics:
- Cetol Filter 7 Plus from Sikkens. Transparent paint for outdoor use based on alkyd resins. The composition includes inhibitors and additives that enhance the moisture resistance of the material. Drying at 20 degrees Celsius and 65% humidity occurs after 15-16 hours
- Topazur from Belinka. Thick coating with natural wax in the composition. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It dries completely in 10-12 hours after application. When updating, you only need to sand the surface from dirt and dust, and then block the old layer of blue with a new one
- Drevolak. Water-based protective acrylic varnish. Elastic, antiseptic and moisture resistant, gives dirt-repellent properties. To achieve the desired consistency and viscosity, the composition is diluted with water
- Oil paint MA-5 from Lacra. Linseed oil based coating. It dries completely in 24 hours, consumption with a single-layer coating is 1 liter per 10 m 2. It is characterized by high abrasion resistance, high adhesion
- Front silicone paint from LLC Southern Accent. Water-dispersion paint, which combines the performance characteristics of acrylic and silicate coatings. Reduces the effects of mold, mildew, UV radiation and moisture on chip sheets
- Front latex Element F-8. Coating based on acrylic copolymers. Weatherproof, consumption is 1 liter per 8 m 2
The nuances of painting
For applying each coating, it is better to use a separate tool suitable for the characteristics of viscosity, bump and absorbency.
Apply coloring formulations using:
Recommended combinations of paint and tools are shown in the table.