How to Cut Plastic Sandwich Panels
Features and purpose
A PVC sandwich panel is a material consisting of two outer layers (sheets of polyvinyl chloride) and an inner one (insulation). The inner layer can be made of polyurethane foam, expanded polystyrene. Pvc panels made of polyurethane foam have excellent heat-saving qualities. And also polyurethane foam is an environmentally friendly product.
Styrofoam insulation has low heat conductivity and low construction weight. Expanded polystyrene has differences from polyurethane foam due to the following properties: strength, resistance to chemical influences. External plastic layers have the following qualities: impact resistance, hard coating, refined external image of the material.
Expanded polystyrene is available in two versions.
- Extruded. Such polystyrene is made in sheets, which simplifies the installation technology. But such material is more expensive than foamed.
- Foamed polystyrene is available in sheets or blocks (thickness up to 100 cm). During installation work, the blocks will need to be cut to the desired size.
Sandwich panels made of plastic are used for the installation of industrial and agricultural structures, as well as in the creation of partitions in non-residential buildings.
Multilayer PVC panels are the most popular in use, they are widely used in the decoration and insulation of slopes of doors and windows. Polyvinyl chloride has a high resistance to alkali, as well as to temperature jumps.
The advantage of this material is that PVC is listed as a fireproof material. Withstands temperatures up to 480 degrees.
Installation of PVC panels can be done independently immediately after installing plastic windows. Thanks to the insulating qualities of the insulation, the maximum insulation of the building is ensured. Plastic windows with PVC panels will last quite a long time, without requiring replacement of the material for about 20 years.
Sandwich construction panels are also used:
- In the decoration of window and door slopes;
- In filling window systems;
- In the manufacture of partitions;
- Successfully used to decorate the headset.
The demand for PVC sandwich panels lies in the fact that they can be used at any time of the year and under any weather conditions. Not all building materials can boast of such qualities.
Properties and structure: are there any disadvantages?
The outer layer of the structure can be made of different materials.
- Made of hard PVC sheet. For the production of multilayer material, white sheet material is used. Thickness ranges from 0.8 to 2 mm. The coating of such a sheet is glossy and matte. The density of the sheet is 1.4 g / cm3.
- From the made foam PVC sheet. The interior of the structure has a porous structure. Foamed sheets have a low density material (0.6 g / cm3) and good thermal insulation.
- Laminated, which is created by impregnation with a resin pack of decorative, overlay or kraft paper, followed by pressing.
Multilayer panels can be supplied with prefabricated systems that do not require preparatory work on the assembly of material. Finished structures are attached to the facing material with glue. The second variation of designs. Such panels are assembled using self-tapping screws before the installation technology.
Characteristics and parameters
Pvc sandwich panels have certain technical characteristics.
- Low heat conductivity, which is 0.041 W / kV.
- High resistance to external factors (precipitation, temperature jumps, UV rays) and to the formation of mold, fungus.
- Excellent sound insulation properties of the material.
- Strength. The compressive strength of multilayer panels is 0.27 MPa, and the bending strength is 0.96 MPa.
- Ease and practicality in use. There is a possibility of self-installation without the help of specialists.
- One hundred percent moisture resistance of building materials.
- A wide range of colors. There is a possibility of selection for any interior in a house or apartment.
- High fire resistance.
- Light weight material. Multilayer PVC panels, unlike concrete and brick, have a foundation load of 80 times less.
- Simplicity and convenience in the care of sandwich panels. It is enough to periodically wipe the surface of the PVC with a damp cloth, and the option of adding non-abrasive detergents is also possible.
- The absence of secretions of harmful and toxic substances, thereby not causing harm to the human body during operation.
The standardized parameters of sandwich plastic panels for windows are between 1500 mm and 3000 mm. Standard sandwich panels are available in thicknesses: 10 mm, 24 mm, 32 mm and 40 mm. Some manufacturers make panels of smaller thickness: 6 mm, 8 mm and 16 mm. Experts recommend the use of panels with a thickness of 24 mm.
The weight of a PVC laminate depends on the internal filler. When using polyurethane insulation, the weight of the material will not exceed 15 kg per 1 square meter.
In some cases, mineral thermal insulation is used, then the mass increases by 2 times relative to the previous version.
Sandwich panels have one-sided and two-sided production. One-sided panel production is that one side is rough and the other side is fine, which is thicker than rough. Bilateral production is when both sides of the material are fine.
The most popular color of the plastic panel is white, but PVC sheets are also made, painted under the texture (wood, stone). To protect the PVC sheet panel from various contaminants and mechanical damage, the front part of the panel is covered with special film, which is removed before installing the material.
When choosing a multilayer PVC panel, it is necessary to take into account some of the disadvantages of such a material.
- To cut the material to the required size, you need to act very carefully, it is better for this purpose a circular saw with small teeth is suitable, otherwise the three-layer plates are chipped and delaminated. But you also need to take into account the fact that trimming panels is possible only at temperatures above 5 degrees, at low temperature conditions the material becomes brittle.
- To install the sandwich panel, you need the desired surface area. If the distance from the loop to the wall is small, then the panel cannot be installed, the plate will “walk”.
- Installation is carried out only on the prepared surface. The insulation of the room and the service life of the material will depend on the quality of installation.
- The high cost of the material.
- After a certain time, yellow spots may appear on the surface of the slopes.
- Sandwich panels are self-supporting material, that is, additional heavy load on the panels is prohibited, they can be deformed.
When purchasing sandwich materials, it is necessary to take care of the accompanied plastic profile, which are made of a U-shaped and L-shaped.
The profile of the form P is designed to install the PVC panel in the passage at the junction of the facing material and the window frame. L-shaped rail is needed in order to close the external corners of the joining of the slopes to the wall.
The slope plate is wound under a short feather profile, and a long feather wound on the wall.
Subtleties of installation
Installation of multilayer PVC panels can be carried out independently, most importantly, follow all the rules and instructions for installing such materials. Using window slopes as an example, consider the technique of mounting plastic panels at home.
Necessary tools for installation:
- Self-tapping screws, liquid nails, sealant;
- Mounting profiles;
- Polyurethane foam;
- Sandwich panels;
- Mounting level;
- Knife-cutter, electric jigsaw, scissors for cutting metal materials;
- Electric drill;
- In some cases, experienced craftsmen use an angle grinder to trim panels.
Novice builders need to use such a tool with caution, because overdoing it with pressure will break the material.
Before you start laying sheets, you need to get rid of contaminants (dust, paint, foam). Only sandwich materials are laid on a clean base. If there is mold, it must be eliminated, and the surface treated with special impregnation.
Existing cracks and crevices are sealed with foam. And also it is necessary that the building level is at hand, with the help of which the corners are checked and the workpieces are correctly cut.
- Preparation and measurement of slopes. Using a tape measure, the length and width of the slopes are measured in order to trim the panels to the size of the slope.
- Installation of profiles. The initial U-shaped profiles (starting profiles) are cut and fastened with self-tapping screws, which are installed along the edges of the profiles, leaving a gap between them of 15 cm.
- Side sections and the top PVC panel are installed in the plastic profile. The segments are fixed to the wall with liquid nails or polyurethane foam.
- The areas of adjacency to the walls are covered with facing material from the L-shaped profile. The fringing profile is set using liquid nails.
- In conclusion, the adjacency areas are treated with white silicone sealant.
Use mounting foam with extreme caution., After all, when it exits, it increases in volume by 2 times. Otherwise, large gaps form between the laminated sheets and the wall, and all the work will have to be redone.
Slopes on balconies and loggias from sandwich slabs are performed similarly to slopes of metal-plastic windows in an apartment.
For better thermal insulation in such rooms, experts recommend installing additional insulation material.