How To Cut Pvc Pipes In Home
How and what to cut metal-plastic pipes at home
In the process of installing or repairing pipelines made of metal-plastic pipes, it becomes necessary to cut pipes. This is a task that needs to be done as correctly as possible. Inaccurate cuts can ruin products.
There is a misconception that only metal pipes can be cut, and metal-plastic products need to be changed entirely. This is completely untrue. Metal-plastic products are easy to cut. The main thing is to use high-quality tools and to carry out each stage of the task as accurately as possible. In this article, you will learn how to cut metal-plastic pipes.
First you need to collect everything you need to solve the problem.
The list of tools includes:
- pipe bender;
- adjustable wrench;
- any fabric.
As you know, metal pipes include a plastic layer and an aluminum mat. They are solidly soldered by means of laser welding. The frame is an aluminum tube. The core of the product is quite smooth.
However, experts still recommend that before starting cutting, clean the surface of the structure from possible irregularities.
To clean pipe products, you must use a coupling. The process of cleaning the surface of the product itself takes a little time.
To solve the problem under consideration, it is best to use scissors for cutting metal-plastic pipes. This tool is the most convenient. Cutting with scissors is fairly straightforward. To complete the task, you do not have to apply strong physical efforts. The main thing is to perform the operation accurately so that the cut would be even.
To cut the product into the joints, you need to use a pipe bender. This tool allows you to bend structures at the desired angle. Do not try to bend the pipe with your hands. You can damage the aluminum layer, rendering the structure unusable.
Some experts, answering the question of how to cut metal-plastic pipes at home, suggest using various home-made devices or tools that were not originally designed to perform the task in question. We strongly discourage following such advice. To cut pipes, you must use exclusively specialized tools. over, its cost is low.
For cutting metal-plastic products, you will need technical scissors. This tool often comes with welding kits. These scissors are equipped with blades specially designed for cutting structures from the material in question. Their handle is ergonomic. Therefore, it is very convenient to use them.
It is necessary to outline the place of the cut and proceed with the task. No special skills are required for slicing. Anyone can handle this procedure. But if you’ve never done this, practice on any unnecessary or defective pipe first.
You can use an ordinary pencil to mark the place of the cut. The mark can also be made with an angle grinder. In the latter case, it is important not to make deep marks. Since this way you have every chance of seriously damaging the pipe structure. Be sure to use safety goggles when cutting. They will protect your eyes from the ingress of small particles of metal-plastic.
The most convenient for cutting are pipes with a diameter of five to thirty centimeters. If you need to cut a larger piece, it is better to seek the help of a qualified technician.
Pipe cutting should be performed at normal temperature conditions. Performing this operation in extremely cold or hot weather has unpredictable results. Metal-plastic is very sensitive to temperature conditions. In hot weather, the mark may shift. This will cause you to cut off the excess part of the product. Therefore, you need to work either under normal weather conditions, or create them yourself.
You can cut metal-plastic products with various tools. The procedure is very similar to the cutting of PVC products. To perform the operation, it is permissible to use a hacksaw or a knife with teeth. But it is best, as we said above, to use a specialized tool.
If you decide to cut the pipe for dismantling purposes, and you are not going to use it in the future, it is permissible to perform the operation with almost any tool. For all other purposes, cutting must be done with special scissors. Only they will allow you to make a high-precision cut.
During cutting, it is necessary to take into account not only the deformation index of the product under the influence of the temperature regime, but also from physical factors. Too much force during the operation can lead to cracks in the product. Despite the fact that metal-plastic is more flexible than metal, it is subject to various deformations.
Before cutting, be sure to study the specifications of the tubular products. If the material contains more metal than plastic, you need to use tools that create less friction in the process. Products with more plastic compound need to be cut in a faster mode.
Blow or flush the pipe after cutting. Choose a cleaning method based on the purpose of the structure. If this is not done, a small amount of small particles may remain inside the pipes, which in the near future may cause a breakdown of the pipeline or devices connected to it.
The electronic cutting method is not very well suited for working with metal-reinforced plastic. It is best to use a hand tool to trim this material. For example, a ribbed blade lubricated with machine oil.
Basic cleaning methods
If the throughput of the pipeline is reduced, then cleaning the sewer pipes with your own hands will be sufficient. In difficult cases, you will need the help of specialists.
Cleaning of sewer pipes is:
- folk remedies: soda, salt and boiling water; soda and vinegar.
Cleaning the sewer pipes with the last method will prevent unpleasant odors and blockages. At home, you can effectively clean pipes using one of the following methods:
- Soda and salt. Add ½ cup of baking soda solution and half a cup of salt to the drain hole and leave for about 10 hours.
- Soda and vinegar. Place half a cup of baking soda and ½ cup of vinegar in the drain hole, close the stopper and leave for 2 hours.
- Soda and boiling water. Add one glass of baking soda to 3 cups of boiling water and place in the drain hole.
The use of baking soda with vinegar requires caution, as mixing these substances causes a violent reaction.
You can clean the pipe with home remedies that are at hand
How and how to clean sewer pipes with your own hands at home
Blockages are the most common and common plumbing problem. In most cases, its elimination and cleaning of the sewer pipe can be done by hand. Methods for removing blockages in a private and apartment building do not have fundamental differences. The main reason for clogging of pipes is the accumulation of fatty deposits on their inner surface.
There are several ways to clean sewer pipes.
You can mechanically clean the sewer pipe at home. This will require a wire or cable, a plunger, a ruff. How to clean the sewer pipes depends on the severity of the problem. If the blockage is shallow, then you can break through it with a ruff with sharp movements.
You can do the cleaning of sewer pipes with your own hands using a plunger:
- Cover the drain hole with the device.
- Let the water flow so that the plunger bowl is covered.
- Check for lack of water underneath.
- Without lifting the plunger from the sink, make 15-20 vertical movements.
Before cleaning the sewer pipe with a cable, you must try other ways, since this method is the most difficult. The cable has a rigid structure and is a rod with a diameter of 3-5 mm, which is made of twisted wire. Basic rules for using the device:
- remove the sink siphon;
- the cable must be with a handle;
- insert the end of the cable into the pipe and advance it with rotational movements counterclockwise;
- periodically remove the cable for cleaning;
- after clearing the blockage in the sewer pipe, install a siphon and flush the system with hot water.
Next, you should open the water. If it leaves quickly, then the blockage is eliminated. Otherwise, the procedure is repeated.
The rope is suitable for cleaning metal and plastic pipes
Causes of pipe clogging
Most often in the house, cast iron pipes are susceptible to blockages, which have a high resistance to drains. Due to corrosion, over time, irregularities and deposits appear on the walls, blocking the free flow of water. Also, blockages can appear due to rare cleaning of sewer pipes.
With long-term use of detergents containing surfactants, fatty deposits can accumulate in them. They trap small particles and, over time, lead to a decrease in the throughput of the pipes. In case of instantaneous failure of the sewer system in the house, the cause may be the ingress of a foreign object into the pipe. Sometimes the reason for the decrease in the permeability of the pipeline is in soil displacement, freezing, damage to the sewer system. A blockage in plastic pipes appears due to improper installation and non-observance of the required slope.
Cleaning the sewer pipes is necessary if the following factors occur:
- the appearance of an unpleasant odor;
- decrease in the rate of water withdrawal;
- raising the water level when it is turned on somewhere under the grates of the drainage drain.
If you do not take action immediately when these signs appear, then very soon the pipe will be completely clogged.
Important! The reason for the decrease in the rate of water withdrawal is sometimes a siphon. It needs to be disassembled and checked before cleaning the pipes.
The cleaning method largely depends on where exactly the pipe is clogged and what.
Often a blockage forms in the siphon, so it should be checked first.
How to make PVC pipe cutter at Home DIY | PVC pipe Cutter Homemade | Soldering Iron | Tech Patakha
You can clean the sewer pipes both in a private house and in an apartment using chemicals. Before using them, it is important to take care of your own safety. to wear gloves, maxi, glasses, and also to ensure good ventilation of the room. It is better to use some other method to clean the sewer pipe at home than chemical. Modern substances include acid or alkali. It is impossible to use agents of different chemical compositions in the house at the same time, since the components can react with each other and harm the system. The procedure is as follows:
- pour or pour the required amount of the product into the drain;
- add about half a liter of water;
- wait 10-15 minutes;
- flush the sewerage system with water in the amount of 2-4 buckets.
You can clean the sewer pipe both effectively and quickly with the “Mole” tool. It contains caustic alkali. Mix one. two tablespoons of the substance with 200 g of hot water and pour into the drain. After that, clean with a plunger and rinse with water.
There are other chemicals on the market for cleaning at home sewer pipes, for example, Domestos, Mr. Muscle, Toffix, etc.
Chemicals are widely used for quick pipe cleaning
If there is a very dense blockage, then it is better to use mechanical cleaning.
Important! It is unacceptable to clean old cast-iron sewer pipes with chemicals.
For domestic sewage, a hydrodynamic machine and pumps are used that create a powerful jet of liquid. Hydrodynamic cleaning of sewer pipes is performed using devices with spiral nozzles of various diameters. They are installed near sinks or toilets, a spiral is inserted into the drain hole, which, when the machine is running, rotates and breaks through blockages of any density. Hydrodynamic cleaning is used for pipes with a diameter of 5-30 cm.
A spiral machine is a device with nozzles of various diameters, which is used to clean the sewer pipe at home. The device is installed opposite the drain hole, a spiral is inserted into the pipe. The machine effectively breaks through the blockage by rotating movements and is applicable both in a private and an apartment building. If there is no special machine, then you can simply clean the pipes with a spiral, slowly rotating it in one direction.
Important! Hydrodynamic cleaning is suitable for any pipe configuration and is not very expensive.
Hydrodynamic cleaning is carried out with special devices. Currently, plastic pipes are used to install sewer systems in a house or apartment. Twists and turns are usually prone to clogging, so there is no need to clean plastic sewer pipes like cast iron.
Cleaning pipes with a special machine is an effective and quick way to get rid of blockages
In addition, inaccurate use of any cleaning devices can damage communications. It is good to clean plastic pipes using a chemical method, since it will not damage their structure.
Prevention of pipeline blockages
It is better to carry out regular blockage prevention than to clean the sewer pipes:
- rinse the drains with boiling water twice a month;
- do not throw household waste, food waste, chemicals into the toilet, sink;
- use a fat separator.
Both plastic and cast-iron pipes in a private house should be periodically washed with vinegar and soda. Sometimes a powerful flow of water is sufficient to maintain good permeability of the pipes. The industry produces special cleaning agents in the form of granules or gel. When processing the sewer system in a private house, substances are placed in pipes for a certain time and prevent the accumulation of fatty deposits. The vinegar treatment is done about once a week.
It is effective to use fat separators in a private house. They can be used for industrial and domestic purposes and are installed under the sink. The device operates in 2 stages:
- Oily and dirty water passes through the filter system, gets rid of various debris.
- Water is purified from fat, which then enters the sewer pipes.
Preventive measures will not only increase the service life of the pipeline, but also save time and resources. You can often do the cleaning yourself. In difficult cases, you should immediately contact a specialist.
Gypsum fiber sheet or gypsum fiber board is actively used in the production of work related to finishing. This material was created later than drywall, so it has not yet managed to become so popular. Gypsum fiber sheets have a special composition, which provides them with completely new characteristics of strength and resistance to fire, exceeding the gypsum board several times. GVL is considered an indispensable material when creating bulk floors, the initial decoration of walls, ceilings, as well as in the process of constructing various boxes.
In the process of working with such a valuable material, only one important question arises. how to cut GVL?
How and how to cut GVL at home
Features of gypsum fiber sheets
To understand what and how to cut gypsum fiber, you must first understand the essence of this material itself. The production of gypsum-fiber sheets, like drywall, is carried out from gypsum, which limits their similarity. GVLV plates are distinguished by the following features:
- Loose cellulose is used as a reinforcing material,
- The material is characterized by an absolute homogeneity of the structure,
- No coating is used on top,
- The material is completely non-flammable,
- The density of the material is higher than that of traditional drywall.
This building material is produced by many companies, but the sheets, which are made by Knauf, have earned the greatest demand. If we take for comparison the gypsum plasterboard and gypsum fiber sheets of this company, then we can understand how ideal complement to each other they are, and when they are used as finishing materials in the repair process, you can get only a positive effect.
Despite the fact that GVL is an excellent material for making any box, and the walls will turn out to be strong and practically non-combustible, this material differs in that it cannot be bent like drywall. It turns out that it is not suitable for the installation of structures with rounded shapes and complex elements.
The use of gypsum fiber sheet is advisable on the floor, in dry screeds, where there is expanded clay, where they show all their best qualities. When using them in the process of constructing a subfloor, excellent results can be obtained. Floor elements obtained by gluing a pair of GVLV sheets with a total thickness of 20 mm have the following useful properties:
- They are resistant to loads, that is, they do not break during operation,
- Resist the penetration of cold,
- Perfect surface smoothness,
- GVL can withstand humidity up to 70%.
What is required to work with GVL?
Usually, craftsmen who independently carry out the preparation and installation of drywall believe that work with GVL is carried out in a similar way.
However, certain troubles may await them here. With all the available strength characteristics, gypsum fiber sheets demonstrate increased fragility to fracture, therefore they easily break at the same time. For this reason, GVL sheets do not bend like drywall.
Before cutting GVL, you need to figure out which tools are suitable for this?
So, the tools with which you can cut the GVL:
- Sharp construction knife, the thickness of which is at least 12 mm. Blades will dull quickly and will need to be changed frequently.
- For the gypsum board, there is a special hacksaw with which you can cut the material with virtually no dust.
- The use of an angle grinder or a circular saw is only advisable in well-ventilated areas, if the end really justifies the means. This is a very noisy and dusty method, but it is the fastest of all. If you decide to opt for such a tool, then be sure to use respiratory and eye protection.
- A jigsaw with a built-in vacuum cleaner is the most ideal option, especially when using a saw for wood with a 4 mm tooth pitch. However, even in this case, a lot of dust is generated, which requires the use of a respirator and goggles.
After you decide how to cut GVL, you must be sure to take care of caution and accuracy when working with these materials. When using a special hacksaw or cutter for work, it is recommended to proceed as follows:
- GVL sheet is marked in the way it needs to be cut,
- the line is used to apply a rule or a straight line to it,
- The knife needs to be drawn over the sheet so many times so that a furrow is formed on it with a depth of at least 2/3 of the sheet thickness,
- A special rail should be placed under the formed cutting line.,
- Further, through a sharp upward movement, you need to gently break the sheet.
You can watch the corresponding video before starting cutting.
Gypsum fiber sheets are characterized by the formation of even edge edges, so there are usually no problems with joining. If a slight adjustment is required, you can resort to using a roughing planer. A chisel or a boot cutter is best for creating a fold. If the volume of work is quite large, then it is recommended to use a router. When using a groove cutter with a pitch of 3-4 mm, all the necessary work can be done in 2-3 approaches.
Asbestos cement pipe cutting angle grinder
The most common way is to cut asbestos-cement pipes with an angle grinder (it is also an angle grinder, an angle grinder; something like BOSCH GWS 850 CE Professional or MAKITA GA5030K).
In this case, there are 2 types of work, depending on the equipment used:
- angle grinder with stone disc. Cutting in this way will require two people. One of them should cut the pipe with an angle grinder, and the second should use a very thin stream of water to the cutting site. At the same time, dust from cutting will not scatter around the room, but flow down in the form of dirt.
- angle grinder with diamond disc. Here you will need a respirator, construction goggles, and other protective equipment. To reduce the amount of dust that falls on a person when cutting, you need to perform this process in an open space on the leeward side, so that all the dust flies to the side. If you cut the pipe in winter, then you can put it directly on the snow so that the particles of the material remain below.
How to cut asbestos-cement pipes with your own hands without a power tool and with its help
In the past 50 years, asbestos-cement pipes have been very popular in various works. This is due to the fact that such products are easy enough to mount, they are resistant to aggressive environments and last longer than metal counterparts. However, the problem of sawing pipes made of asbestos cement often arises. How to do it right?
And if not. alternative technologies
If you don‘t have an angle grinder, you can use a cutter or hacksaw. Consider these technologies for cutting asbestos cement pipes.
- Hacksaw. It is quite possible to cut the pipe with an ordinary hacksaw, but it will take quite a lot of effort and time. Initially, the pipe should be wetted, since asbestos cement is cut much easier in its raw state, and if the pipe is sawn dry, the process will become extremely tedious and ineffective. Then it is necessary to outline the line of the cut, moisten the rags in water and lay them for several hours along the intended place of the cut. Wet asbestos cement will be much more elastic and easily cut. Do not put too much pressure on the pipe when cutting, so that it does not split.
- Cutter. To do this, you need a cutter similar to a plastic cutter, but large and made of high quality metal. Place the pipe on a flat surface and use a straight edge to scratch the cutter in a straight line. Then deepen it a millimeter and further. Under the scratch, you can put a small rail inside the pipe and break it along the mowing line of the cut. This process does not generate much dust.
The above methods for cutting asbestos cement are the most popular, but if they do not suit you, you can use alternative technologies:
Classic ax. You need to take an ordinary ax and cut the pipe with it along the intended lines. It should be understood that many blows must be applied to the same place in order to initially break through the pipes, and then the process will go much faster. Of course, it will not be possible to cut the pipe exactly, but it will work out efficiently and quickly.
Circular. You can cut a pipe made of asbestos cement using a circular cut. Instead of the usual disc, you need to install a disc with carbide teeth on it.
Slate nail. If you do not have all the listed tools at hand, you can use the most primitive method. First, a cut line is outlined on the pipe, then a slate nail is taken, with which the line is pierced along the entire circumference. The more often the holes are located, the better. It is best to place a thin, oblong object, such as a block of wood, under the pipe. At the end, you need to gently break the pipe along the mowing line with holes. the cut line will not be perfectly flat, in any case, it all depends on the number of holes made and the accuracy of the break.
Carpet edge finishing
This task is easy enough to accomplish. Mechanically, this can be done using an ordinary gypsy needle and a strong nylon or synthetic thread. In the second case, equipment is used to process the edges, which is a sewing machine.
Processing the sides of the material can be done in several ways:
- Edge trim can be done using a seam called “over the edge”. It is made with even sewing ties in such a way that the warp thread is located on the top of the material, and the stitch looks like a horseshoe.
- “Loop seam”. To do this, you need to use a needle and thread and start creating even, frequent ties at the edge of the flooring material. In this case, it is necessary that the central thread is located at the top of the seam, and the additional thread is fixed at a distance of up to 0.5 cm from the edge of a row in a row.
- Fabric overlay. Is the easiest way. Sewing on the fabric overlays is performed at different distances from the edge of the carpet with an even regular stitch along the entire perimeter.
Cutting the carpet under the skirting board
In this situation, the work must be done as follows:
- Initially, you need to start laying the carpet from the even and longest wall, right next to it.
- At the next stage, it is required to smooth the canvas to eliminate all existing waves.
- Next, you need to adjust the other three sides of the material.
- Fitted to the opposite side of the carpet in the place of its intersection with the floor, you should fold the folds with your hands and fold the excess covering over it.
- The resulting hall acts as a strip along which further cutting is required.
- After that, it is necessary to carry out a neat cutting of the carpet, checking after every 10 cm the correct direction of the cut and compliance with the line made.
Easy Ways To Cut PVC Pipe for your Home or Business
Professionals who know perfectly well how to trim carpet argue that it is extremely difficult to carry out these works without a certain tool. For this purpose, a significant number of different knives are presented on the market, which fully cope not only with cutting this, but also other floor coverings, for example, linoleum, and are suitable for many other tasks. Basically, their average cost varies in the range of 7-15, although you can find more expensive products.
Carpet cutting tools
For cutting this material, there are a variety of cutting devices, therefore, in order to determine the best way to cut carpet at home, you should consider each of the available options in more detail.
With their help, it is convenient to cut carpet and linoleum, as well as many other flexible materials. Unlike a regular knife, electric scissors have the following positive qualities:
- Safe use when working with materials intended for installation as floor coverings.
- Compact dimensions and ergonomic tool design.
- Ease of use and high quality cuts.
- Electric shears operate on rechargeable batteries, so they can be used freely, regardless of the presence of an electrical network.
Due to its multitasking ability, after repair tasks, the tool can be used at home for a number of other purposes. In addition, electric scissors have replaceable attachments, which can be easily replaced if necessary.
Hand tools, through which you can effortlessly make a straight cut of carpet. They come in several varieties and are suitable for certain types of this flooring:
- Universal cutters for carpet and linoleum. They have a trapezoidal cutting element, made in such a way that when cutting, the pile does not fall under it.
- Universal cutters for textile coverings. They can be used to cut carpets, PVC and materials with a foam base.
- Jute floor cutters. In addition, they can be used to cut PVC, but such a tool is not at all suitable for those that have a foamed base.
Most of them come with a set of interchangeable blades.
How to cut carpet at home: choosing the right device
Before cutting the carpet at home, you need to choose the best tool for this task, having previously considered the available options, as well as clarifying the important accompanying nuances for high-quality work.
Often at home, carpet cutting is also done using ordinary knives with a sharpened blade, and in some cases even scissors, but with the help of the latter it can be difficult to cut a dense and thick floor covering. In addition to them, a suitable option is the use of a boot and high-quality office tools with replaceable cutting elements.
Regardless of the device chosen, before cutting off the carpet, it should be borne in mind that it is better to carry out work from the inside out and choose a device specially designed for this task, since in such a situation it is possible to significantly reduce the likelihood of damage to the material, the replacement of which will cost much more.
How to cut PVC panels
Among the variety of finishing materials used in construction, plastic panels occupy a separate category. It is a modern coating that is used for interior and sometimes exterior walls. They are made from polyvinyl chloride by extrusion. Before performing installation work, it is important to decide: the better to cut PVC panels. The assortment of tools and accessories offered on the market is full of offers, both general and special. Among all the inventory, you can choose what will cut the plastic panels.
How can PVC panels be cut
Plastic finishing material can be cut both lengthwise and across. Of course, the main blanks are cross-cut. When you want the sewn surface to be completely covered, you have to use a longitudinal cut. Before starting work, it is determined how to cut plastic panels at home or at an industrial facility. The number of blanks required for wall cladding is of no small importance.
Using many years of experience in the use of PVC materials in interior decoration, we highlight what can be used to cut plastic panels:
- construction knife;
- hacksaw for metal;
- Angle Grinder;
- hacksaw for wood.
The use of any of these tools will help solve the question of how to cut PVC panels, but each of them has features that must be taken into account when performing work.
In any household, you can find a kitchen knife, sharpen it and use it to solve the problem than to cut off a plastic panel. But, to get a high-quality cut, it is better to use a construction or clerical knife. Replaceable blades, which are supplied with the tool, will allow you to get an even, smooth surface. Cutting with a knife is faster than using sawing devices. But, when you have to deal with the honeycomb structure of plastic panels, the use of such a tool becomes inconvenient.
When using a construction or clerical knife, the panel is marked out, then laid on cardboard or the cut part is left hanging. After that, pushing through the front and back sides of the finishing material, they separate the unnecessary parts. If a large area of unclaimed plastic part remains, then it is better to place or substitute a support under it, in order to avoid kinking or skewing the workpiece.
To carry out such work, it will be inconvenient to use a large-sized angle grinder, and it is useless. angle grinder of small size with a thin disc for metal (0.8-1 mm), will fit in the best way.
If it is necessary to simultaneously cut a large number of panels, they are fastened together, markings are applied. The cut is made from the front or back. The end quality is obtained without defects. Such a power tool allows you to cut a panel with high quality or several at once.
Such a device is convenient when speed and high-quality cut of the end face of the workpieces are important for solving the problem. The speed of such a tool is high, while the quality is better than any of the ones described above. But, when working, you need to carefully inspect the panel for possible chips and lay it inside out to the cutter, and face down to the supporting surface. This is due to the fact that the cutter can push the surface of the PVC workpiece by 2-5 millimeters.
The tool simplifies and speeds up installation work. Buying a cutter will forever close the question of how to cut off a plastic panel, and other methods will no longer be relevant. When using it, it is important to remember that such a tool will not be able to trim in place with such a tool.
Using such a power tool will help to cope with cutting panels and reduce labor intensity, compared to a hacksaw or a construction knife. Convenient to use a jigsaw when preparing a large number of workpieces.
When performing work, the place of the cut is first marked on the front surface, and then smoothly cut to the required size, passing the tool along the marking mowing line. Cellophane or other material is placed under the jigsaw support foot, which will prevent the possibility of scratching the PVC panel. In the case of simultaneous cutting of several blanks, they are fastened with plastic clamps or wrapped with transparent tape. At the same time, it is better to isolate the front surface from the adhesive tape (lay a sheet of paper).
If, when performing finishing work, the question concerns how to cut the panels exactly, then for such a case, it will be correct to use a hacksaw. When the edge of the panels is hidden from the eye by the starting or corner finishing profile, then a hacksaw is used for wood. If the cut area remains in sight, then use a tool for metal.
When choosing what to cut plastic panels, attention is paid to the convenience of work. When using a hacksaw on wood, the workpiece will vibrate strongly and must be held firmly. And when using tooling for metal, the vibration effect will be little noticeable, but the tool will need to be held almost parallel to the plane of the workpiece. This is due to the thickness of the blade holder, which is larger than the blade.
In both cases, the panel is placed facing the cutting tool so that all chips and imperfections remain on the wrong side.
If necessary, this tool can be independently made from available tools, for which it is enough to adhere to the following recommendations:
- it is necessary to prepare a metal strip, the thickness of which is at least 2 mm, and the width is 1 cm;
- then one of the edges of the workpiece should be cut off at an angle of 45 degrees;
- it is necessary to sharpen the edge of a homemade product using a grindstone;
- the opposite side should be wrapped with electrical tape, which will allow you to protect your hand from damage during operation.
A professional cutter for plastic has a relatively low cost, so purchasing it can be a profitable investment, because thanks to such a tool, the process of cutting PVC panels becomes not only more convenient, but also quite fast.
For quick sawing of PVC panels, a power tool at hand is best. For this purpose, you can use almost any device, which will help to significantly reduce the time spent on preparing for installation.
Often, cutting is performed using the following devices:
- Angle Grinder;
To work with plastic material, it is allowed to use only low speeds, because with significant heating it begins to melt and release fumes that are toxic to the human body, and the cut in this case will turn out to be torn.
Using a jigsaw will help make the process of preparing PVC panels for installation much faster than using a hand tool.
However, with this method of processing, the following nuances should be taken into account:
- even before starting work, you must turn off the pendulum stroke;
- a file with as small teeth as possible should be used;
- you need to set the lowest speed of the file, which will avoid excessive heating of the plastic at the cut.
Using a jigsaw is very convenient to cut stacks of panels, but you should make sure that their height does not exceed the length of the file installed in the tool.
The angle grinder is recognized as the most convenient and practical power tool with which you can cut PVC wall panels. By installing a cutting disc, you can make not only straight, but also curly cuts on the surface of the plastic. When processing plastic in a circle, the angle grinder turns on only at low speeds, which will avoid material damage due to melting of the edges.
In the absence of more practical and convenient tools, PVC can be cut with a knife.
To solve this problem, the following types of cutting products are suitable:
- Kitchen knife. This tool is suitable for cutting multiple panels in the process of repairing or replacing them. For large-scale wall decoration, such a procedure is unnecessarily long and painful.
- Construction knife. Among hand-held cutting tools, such a device is one of the best options for achieving an even cut with relatively little effort.
- Stationery knife. Using a wooden ruler or square, this tool allows you to achieve a perfectly even cut of the panel, therefore it is often used to cut them.
PVC panels are one of the modern types of finishing materials that are made by extrusion and are used both in the bathroom and in the living room. The main raw material in the production of such products is polyvinyl chloride, which is used to fill the mold. To give the panels the desired color, a certain amount of crushed natural chalk is added to their composition.
Decorating PVC panels can be done in one of the following ways:
- thermal printing;
- offset printing.
Thermal printing is applied to the plastic surface using a special roller heated to high temperatures, which presses the film to the surface of the product. Thanks to this technology, it is possible to quickly and clearly apply a pattern without losing the brightness of the image. The panel itself does not need additional varnishing. Offset printing is used much less often due to its high cost.
Choosing a cutting tool
Specialists in the implementation of repair work, who have to carry out the installation of PVC panels in their professional activities, know many secrets regarding the correct cutting of plastic materials up and down. After analyzing them, each owner who wants to make repairs on his own will be able to choose the most suitable professional tool for him or use the tools at hand.
The choice of a method for cutting panels usually depends on the tasks and capabilities of the master. Below are the types of cutting materials.
Basic cutting rules
So that the efforts on cutting PVC panels are not wasted, and the result of the work meets expectations, experts recommend adhering to a number of rules for working with plastic. These little secrets will help not only to significantly reduce the amount of spoiled material, but also save the master from unnecessary financial expenses and injuries.
When carrying out work during the heated season, do not start cutting panels that have recently been brought into the room. The plastic should naturally warm up to room temperature, which is achieved in at least 12 hours. The fact is that at low temperatures, the plastic panel becomes fragile, and therefore it can crack and break off in large fragments.
Regardless of the chosen method of processing the material, it should be placed with its front side facing you, which will avoid deformation of the panel and difficulties during its further installation. When cut from the seamy side, you can find microcracks on the front part, which will manifest itself over time and significantly spoil the interior.
It is necessary to mark in advance the straight line of the planned cut, which can be done with a simple pencil and a stationery ruler.
To speed up the process of preparing the material for installation work, you can cut or saw several PVC panels at the same time. To do this, simply stack them in a pile and create a two-point support. It is best to rest the opposite edge of the stack against the wall, which will help avoid shifting the products, respectively, as a result, parts of the same length will be obtained.
One of the universal devices for cutting any material is a hacksaw, which is sure to be found in the arsenal of any craftsman. It is she who will help, if necessary, cut the plastic wall panel. Such work will take longer than using a special cutter, but with significant volumes of cladding, this will not significantly affect the total repair time.
When using a hacksaw, you should listen to the following recommendations of experts:
- for working with plastic finishing materials, you should use a tool with small teeth, which is usually designed for working with metal or wood;
- to shorten the PVC panel, there is no need to apply strong physical forces, which can lead to damage to the material;
- you can cut several parts at once with a hacksaw by folding them in a pile and securing them to avoid bending or displacement.
To prevent the cut from being serrated, it is not recommended to use a tool with teeth set apart in different directions.
How to cut PVC panels?
- Material features
- Choosing a cutting tool
- Power tool
- Basic cutting rules
- Safety regulations
PVC panel is one of the most popular materials for interior decoration. Its use in the interior attracts not only by its appearance, but also by its affordable price, ease of maintenance and installation. Due to the listed characteristics, many people prefer PVC panels, rather than tiles, when decorating personal hygiene rooms.