How To Cut Stone At Home
How and what to cut porcelain stoneware at home: 4 proven methods
How to cut a porcelain stoneware angle grinder without chips
Almost every home craftsman has an angle grinder, or an angle grinder. Therefore, it is she who is most often cut porcelain stoneware. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to make such a cut without chips, but minimizing their number is quite realistic. For this it is very important to choose the right disc. He must have:
- high-quality diamond dusting;
- marking confirming that the device is intended for cutting porcelain stoneware;
- the minimum possible thickness;
- continuous cutting edge.
An angle grinder is a potentially dangerous tool, so do not neglect the safety rules. You should take care of the means of protection. The kit includes:
- Respirator, as a lot of dust is generated when cutting.
- Safety goggles to prevent possible exposure of disc fragments to the eyes.
- Special clothing.
- Earplugs or ear muffs to protect your hearing from loud noise.
It is not recommended to neglect protective equipment, even if it is planned to cut several plates.
Cutting porcelain stoneware tiles correctly with an angle grinder is quite simple if you follow the instructions:
- Preparing a place to work. Lay a substrate on the leveled surface, which will protect the base. You can choose penoplex, polystyrene, etc.
- We put the part on the base with the front side up, mark the section of the cut on it. So that there are fewer chips, we glue a strip of masking tape on it, draw a cutting line along it.
- We put a metal corner on top of the tile along the cut path, fix it with clamps. This will allow you to make an accurate cut. This must be done when cutting products with a large thickness.
- We start the angle grinder. We cut the part at a time, direct it “away from ourselves.” To get an even edge, cut off the fragment so that the line of the marking remains on the product. It will be removed during the sanding process, and the tile will retain the specified size.
- We remove the masking tape, if necessary, grind the end of the part.
If the plate is thin or you don’t need a perfectly straight cut, you can make your job easier. The angle grinder does not make a cut, but only a cut. Then the fragment is broken off with a sharp strong movement.
It is very convenient to use a grinder to cut porcelain stoneware tiles. First of all, because it is the most affordable of all the devices that can be used. They can make cuts of various shapes, including any curved. However, the angle grinder is traumatic, you need to work very carefully. It is very dusty and noisy.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a glass cutter
This is the easiest tool to use. It also gives a minimal effect. With the help of a glass cutter, you can cut off porcelain stoneware, but provided that its thickness is small. This is how the wall cladding is most often cut. Glass cutter will not cope with floor tiles.
There are two types of tools: with a hard metal roller and with a diamond cutter. The latter option cuts better, but breaks down faster. Its cost is higher than that of a roller analogue.
With a glass cutter, you can make a straight or figured cut. In the latter case, you will also need special nippers. To cut the tiles in a straight line with the mowing line, proceed as follows:
- We lay the cladding on a flat base. Determine where the cut line will go.
- We take a ruler, lay it along the future cutting line of the cut and press it with our fingers.
- Gently, but with strong pressure, draw the line along the ruler with the tool. We try to scratch a deep enough groove at a time. Otherwise, chips cannot be avoided.
- We put the part on the edge of the table or workbench and press firmly on its edge. So that the liner splits along the intended mowing line.
- Grind the edge if necessary.
If you want to make a curved cut, a line is drawn with a glass cutter. Then you need to take nippers and use them to remove sections of the tile. The closer the cut is to the mowing line, the smaller the pieces should be cut off. The edge with such processing will turn out to be sharp and not entirely even, so it must be sanded.
Tools for cutting porcelain stoneware
Before determining how and how to cut porcelain stoneware at home, it is worth understanding its features. It is a composite material that successfully combines the properties of natural stone and ceramics. It is made by pressing a mixture pre-fired at high temperatures. The result is a very strong and durable material. In the production process, it can be given a wide variety of colors and textures.
The surface of the ceramic is matte, glossy, structured, etc. Consider this when choosing a cutting method.
You can cut a fragment of a tile using various tools:
- glass cutter;
- electric tile cutter (also known as wet cutter);
- mechanical tile cutter;
- Angle Grinder;
- waterjet cutting attachment.
The latter method is not used in a home workshop, since it is assumed that special expensive equipment is available.
Cut off the plate without chips
Porcelain stoneware belongs to the materials of increased strength. There are practically no pores in it, it does not absorb water and does not crumble. It is very difficult to even scratch it. Therefore, home craftsmen have the question of how to cut off porcelain stoneware without chips and is it possible at all. It must be admitted that theoretically it is possible, but in practice it turns out very rarely. often, small chips remain on the cut, which have to be sanded.
To keep them as small as possible, experienced craftsmen advise you to follow these recommendations:
- Cut the part from the top side. Most material chips appear where the cutter exits the plate.
- The smaller the thickness of the selected cutting disc for the grinder, the lower the chance of chipping.
- Reduce torch speed at the beginning and end of the cut line.
- When working with a mechanical tile cutter, push the lever harder than when cutting a regular tile.
- Cut slightly to the right of the intended mowing line so that it remains on the cut piece. Then it will be possible to remove unwanted chips with a sander.
It is very important that the tool is of high quality and suitable for the material of choice. Otherwise, it is almost impossible to get a beautiful cut without chips. If, nevertheless, they do appear, which happens most often, the defects should be sanded down. You can use sandpaper or a diamond sponge.
The best option is a grinder with a special attachment. This is the so-called turtle or flexible diamond circle. They are distinguished by the diameter of the particles deposited on the surface of the diamond coating. The turtle can only work with a grinder, the model of which provides for the ability to adjust the number of revolutions. If it is higher than three thousand per minute, the nozzle may fly off the axis.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with an electric tile cutter
In the recommendations on how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home, you can read that it is convenient to do it with a wet cutter. This is the name of the electric type tile cutter, for which a diamond cutting disc is used. To cool it down, water is supplied to the part during the cutting process (hence the name of the device).
There are two types of equipment: with an upper and a lower supply of tiles. The first ones make the cut as accurately as possible and are more expensive. For household chores, budget devices are more often purchased that feed parts from the bottom.
Devices of any type make it possible to make cuts not only straight, but also curved. To cut a piece of porcelain stoneware tiles, do the following:
- We outline the cutting line.
- We fix the part on the bed using special clamps. If you have to make a curved incision, you will have to hold it with your hands.
- We start the device. First, we select the minimum disk speed, so the part does not deform.
- Increase the cutting speed gradually. Make sure that the element does not move from vibration.
An important point. The product should be stacked so that the cutter starts to cut its front side. That is, on equipment with an upper cutter, the part is laid face up. On a bottom disc appliance, place the tiles face down.
Cuts made with such equipment are more accurate and better than with a mechanical device. It is especially appreciated by beginners because it is able to completely eliminate the so-called shaking hand factor. In addition, the device allows you to cut fragments less than 6 mm wide, does not generate dust or noise. The main disadvantage of the device is the high price of quality models.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a tile cutter
The principle of the tool is somewhat similar to the glass cutter. There, too, there is a cutting roller that moves along the guides. In addition to it, there is a bed on which the part is laid, a lever and guides. It is very important that the diameter of the cutting element matches the height of the tile.
In addition, when choosing a device, pay attention to:
- The base of the device. The metal from which it is made must be thick enough so that the base does not vibrate or sag during cutting.
- Strength of guides and supports.
- Smooth movement of the carriage. It is desirable that special bearings provide this.
- No backlash when moving the carriage. If it is available, it is impossible to make a straight cut.
Tile cutters vary in length and it is best to choose a long model. This will make it possible to cut porcelain stoneware of different sizes, not only along the side, but also diagonally.
To cut off a piece of porcelain tiles with your own hands along a straight mowing line, you need to follow these steps:
- We put the tile cutter on a solid, even base.
- On the product we outline the line of the cut.
- We lay the part on the bed so that the trajectory of the roller moves exactly along the basting.
- We make an incision by pressing on the carriage and moving it away from us.
- We release the handle and break the part with strong pressure.
- Grinding the cut to remove possible chips.
Working with a mechanical tile cutter is very simple, even a novice master can handle it. There are, however, some drawbacks to be aware of:
- A fragment already 6 mm wide cannot be cut in this way.
- It is also impossible to chamfer or make a curved cut with a mechanical tile cutter.
- If the cut falls on an edge for glue or the surface of the material is ribbed, there is a very high probability of chipping.
How and what to cut plexiglass?
One of the most common synthetic materials used for domestic and industrial purposes is plexiglass, which is produced by polymerization of methacrylic acid and ether components. Because of its composition, plexiglass got the name acrylic. You can cut it using a special device or improvised means. When cutting plexiglass with a power tool, difficulties often arise due to the fact that the material begins to melt and stick to the cutting blade. Nevertheless, there are still ways to help cut acrylic at home.
What to cut?
Colored and transparent organic glass has certain properties that affect the electric tool at the moment when the material is cut. The fact is that acrylic tends to melt at 160 ° C. If you want to bend a flat sheet, then this can be done after heating it to 100 ° C. When exposed to the cutting blade of a power tool, the cut site heats up and the material in molten form sticks to its surface, so cutting off the plexiglass is a rather problematic task.
Despite the complexity of processing, acrylic glass has a wide range of applications. To cut the material, thereby giving it the desired size, modern equipment is used in production conditions:
- a CNC laser machine, where a laser, like a knife, cuts an acrylic surface;
- an electric cutter with which you can make holes or a curly cut;
- machines equipped with a band saw;
- disk type electric cutter.
Laser cutting and milling are highly productive and are used in mass production. This equipment is capable of cutting acrylic material with a high degree of precision and accuracy. Most of all, laser processing is currently widespread, the accuracy of work is achieved due to the fact that a beam is formed, the thickness of which is 0.1 mm.
The cut edges of the material after laser work are absolutely smooth. Most importantly, this cutting method does not generate waste.
Mechanical cutting of acrylic glass is accompanied by heating of the material, as a result of which it begins to melt, while forming significant smoke. To prevent the melting process, the cutting operation must be accompanied by cooling the acrylic, which is carried out using the supply of water or a stream of cold air.
Home craftsmen often perform organic glass processing on their own, using available tools.
- Hacksaw for metal. The cutting blade is characterized by the presence of small teeth located at a minimum distance from each other. The hacksaw blade is made from a tough, hardened steel alloy, so the cutting edge dulls slowly. Using it makes it possible to get an even cut due to a smooth tangential motion. In the process of work, it is not recommended to saw quickly so that the acrylic does not heat up and undergo plastic deformation. The finished cut is obtained with roughness that will need to be sanded with sandpaper.
- Acrylic glass cutter. This device is sold in retail chains and is intended for cutting plexiglass with a small thickness. up to 3 mm. To obtain an even cut, a ruler is fixed on the surface of organic glass, then a cut of the material is made using a cutter (approximately half of its thickness). After that, the cut sheet is broken off along the intended mowing line. The finished cut turns out to be uneven, therefore, in the future, the workpiece will have to go through a long grinding.
- Circular saw. The disc for cutting plexiglass should be with small, frequent teeth. If you use a disc with a large pitch between them, then chips and cracks may appear on the processed material. After receiving a cut, the workpiece requires finishing grinding.
- Milling cutter with bearing. This power tool makes a high-quality cut on plexiglass, but at the same time, the cutting knives quickly become dull and become unusable. When working with a cutter, acrylic heats up quickly, this process is accompanied by strong smoke. To avoid heating the material, use water to cool the work surface.
- Electric jigsaw. This tool is convenient in that it has the ability to adjust the feed speed of the cutting blade. To work with organic glass, special cutting blades are used, which are fixed in the jigsaw holder. You can replace such files with a blade for wood, the main thing is that the teeth of the blade are often located and have a small size. You need to work at low speeds, otherwise the material will begin to stick to the canvas. Once the cut has been made, the workpiece can be sanded or flame treated with a lighter. You can make straight or curved cuts with a jigsaw.
- Angle Grinder. For cutting a thick sheet of plexiglass, you can use a disc with three large teeth, which is designed for woodwork. Such a tool does a good job of making straight cuts. During operation, acrylic glass does not melt or stick to the disc. It can be used to process acrylic with a thickness of 5-10 mm.
Some home craftsmen use a regular glass cutter to cut organic glass. The results of the operation of the listed tools completely depend on the experience of the master, and no one is insured from the possibility of spoiling the material in this case.
In order to cut high-quality plexiglass with your own hands at home, experienced craftsmen advise you to adhere to some rules (they apply not only to acrylic, but also to plexiglass, as well as cellular polycarbonate).
- It will be much easier to cut a curly workpiece to size or saw off an even piece of acrylic glass if, before starting work, you warm up the material over a heat source: a gas burner or a hair dryer. This must be done at a considerable distance so as not to melt the material.
- Cutting out a workpiece from plexiglass with a small thickness from 2 mm to 5 mm can be done using an electric jigsaw. With its help, you can not only make a straight cut, but also cut out a circle. For work, you need to take a narrow and thin canvas with fine teeth.
- It is easier to cut the glass with a blade marked MP. S. Steel for the production of sheets is hardened and high strength.
- Sawing glass is necessary at low speeds of the cutting blade feed. You can find the speed for each tool in the process of work in a practical way. During the sawing process, it is important to ensure that the acrylic glass does not melt.
- Work on cutting organic glass should be carried out in goggles or a mask. When cutting the material, a large amount of small flaked chips is formed, which scatters in different directions at a high speed.
The greatest difficulties in home cutting of organic glass arise when creating complex curved cuts. The easiest way to solve this problem is using laser industrial equipment, where automated control allows you to perform all the necessary functions with the highest accuracy and without human intervention. Hand curly cutting of acrylic is performed according to a pre-made template. The easiest way to make such a cut is a cutter. The contours of the resulting workpiece will be with jags and roughness, which are eliminated by grinding.
At home, you can speed up the process of cutting organic glass using a hot nichrome wire connected to a 24 V voltage source. The heated nichrome wire melts the acrylic material through and through in the right place of the cut. At the same time, the cut edges are smooth.
It is quite possible to assemble such a device on your own at home, the main thing is to choose a high-quality nichrome wire with the correct diameter, which would withstand heating to a temperature of 100 ° C.
In order to cut the acrylic sheet straight, it is important to monitor the feed speed of the cutting blade during work. It is best to start the cutting process with the lowest rotational speed of the power tool. You can choose the optimal mode only experimentally. If during operation the acrylic material began to melt and adhered to the cutting blade, then the work must be stopped, the blade must be cleaned of contamination, and the workpiece to be sawn must be allowed to cool down.
When cutting acrylic, it is best to work in a well-ventilated area, since organic glass, when heated, smokes very strongly and releases chemical components that are harmful to health into the environment.
You can use a slotted screwdriver to cut a small piece of organic glass. The screwdriver is heated over a gas burner and held with its slotted part along the ruler attached to the workpiece.
Under the influence of the heated section of the screwdriver, a shallow groove will appear in the material. This groove can be deepened even further and then break off the edge of the glass, or take a sawing tool and cut the material further in the direction of the groove. After the cut is made, the edge of the workpiece will be uneven. It can be leveled by long grinding.
This method takes a lot of time, but it allows you not to spoil the glass by the sudden appearance of cracks or chips.
In the next video, you will learn how to quickly and easily cut plexiglass.
The better to cut porcelain stoneware
Sizes of ceramic granite tiles (cm):
The last size of the porcelain stoneware tile belongs to the so-called thin porcelain stoneware, which is most often used in the renovation of residential premises. It is especially beautiful when decorating walls and plinths of facades of private houses. There is another way how to cut porcelain stoneware tiles, but with small amounts of work, this is working with a glass cutter.
Porcelain stoneware cutting: 8 kinds of material
Complex shaped cutting of porcelain stoneware
Very often it is necessary to cut curly cuts in porcelain stoneware tiles. For example, for curved steps, holes in tiles for columns or pipes. How to do it?
What way to choose to cut the porcelain stoneware tiles figuratively:
- Hole saw;
- Angle Grinder.
What is the advice of a specialist in these cases? Hole saw. perfectly copes with the task when it is necessary to make round holes in porcelain stoneware. But alas, it works slowly but neatly. The ballerina also copes with the task of sawing round holes in the tiles, but she does it very carelessly, the edges remain uneven and often have to be refined by hand, and trimming is inevitable. an angle grinder is the best option for curved cuts.
When cutting tiles, the cutter should go a little further than the mowing line of the cut by 2-3 mm towards the chips.
Thus, it is possible to correct the unevenness of the cut with a grinder. It is necessary to work with a grinder “from yourself”. All tile ends must be sanded with a grinder or sandpaper. Next comes the final processing of the tile cuts. it is necessary to finish with a grinder, using flexible grinding wheels with a grain size of 0-100.
How and how to cut porcelain stoneware floor tiles
It is best to cut your porcelain stoneware floor tiles using an angle grinder with a diamond wheel. But at the same time it is necessary to use personal protective equipment against dust and noise.
Personal protective equipment when working with an angle grinder:
- Protective gloves;
Experts give a few tips for beginners when working with an angle grinder, if you need to cut porcelain stoneware floor tiles, because these tiles are thick. Place polystyrene under the tiles on a hard, flat surface. To reduce the number of chips, in the place of the cut on the tile on the front side, it is necessary to stick masking tape and apply a cut thread with a pencil on top of the tape.
The tile must be cut only on the front side.
With a large tile thickness, to control the accuracy of the cut, it is necessary to use a metal building angle, it is attached with clamps to the tile, on the front side, and thus it is possible to correctly cut the tile.
How to properly cut porcelain stoneware tiles at home
Porcelain stoneware is an excellent finishing material that combines the best qualities of ceramics and natural stone. The material is stronger than granite, wear-resistant and resistant to aggressive environments. The tile is produced by the industry various.
Types of porcelain stoneware:
- Technical porcelain stoneware;
- Structured or patterned porcelain stoneware;
- Slim. Slim.
You can cut any shapes and configurations from porcelain stoneware tiles at home. Porcelain stoneware tiles are often used in the design of the floor, stair steps, porch, walls and plinths of the house. Although the material is very hard, it often leaves unclean chips in place of the cut. Types of cutting porcelain stoneware tiles at home. using an angle grinder with a diamond disc (diamond), tile cutter, glass cutter, jigsaw, waterjet cutting (only industrial cutting with professional equipment).
An angle grinder with a diamond wheel is often the only option for cutting porcelain tiles. But when working with this well-known tool, there are some nuances. The fact is that when tiles are cut, this work is associated with the release of a huge amount of harmful dust, an unpleasant burning smell and wild noise. Therefore, when working with an angle grinder, you must protect your eyes with protective goggles, and also wear a respirator.
When cutting tiles, you need to know that the diamond wheel must be kept straight without moving and clearly follow the mowing line, which is held on the back of the tile.
It is necessary to work with the disc carefully, guide the disc along the mowing line, retreating behind the cut line 2-3 mm from the mowing line towards the chips. It is also necessary to press the tool firmly and guide it along the mowing line calmly, with great pressure. If you make a cut in this way, then the cut will be neat, without chips. There is another tip when working with porcelain stoneware. The ceramic granite tile must be rigidly fixed, clamped with clamps and screwed to a fixed surface, for example, to a table. The fact is that this must be done according to safety precautions. after all, when cutting, you must press hard on the tool.
Simple cutting of porcelain stoneware with a tile cutter
It is necessary to find out what kind of tile cutters are. The types of tile cutters are manual and electric (this is a stationary machine). Basically, the principle of operation of an electric and manual tile cutter is almost the same. But they differ in price.
An electric tile cutter has more convenience and quality in cutting tiles, compared to a manual tile cutter, but an electric tile cutter has a rather high price, no one leases it, and it has a high energy consumption. But the quality is of course excellent. When working, there is practically no dust from the tiles, since when cutting, water is supplied to the wheel and cools it.
Granite processing at home
It is clear that cutting porcelain stoneware tiles is quite difficult. And more often than not, beginners should seek professional advice. They have special tools and experience.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a circular saw
Porcelain stoneware tiles can be cut and cut without any problems using a more powerful cutting tool, such as a hand-held circular saw. Engine speed and power allow you to cut almost everything at home, from wood to metal profiles.
In order to cut porcelain stoneware, the tool must be equipped with:
- First, a standard carbide-tipped saw blade must be replaced with a diamond disc;
- Secondly, a bandage ring is placed under the disk mounting, thanks to which it is possible to damp vibrations and uncontrolled bending of a thin and flexible diamond wheel.
Alteration of the saw for porcelain stoneware
The process of cutting material is not much different from working on an electric tile cutter, the only difference is that the engine power is noticeably higher. Therefore, you need to carefully control the supply of the diamond wheel with minimal effort, otherwise the porcelain stoneware quickly overheats and splits.
If you want to cut large quantities of porcelain stoneware, then there is no better option than an electric machine.
This method of sawing porcelain stoneware is considered the most productive, but at home it is used for short-term cutting of a small amount of material. You can work only in the yard, in the garage, in the shed, but in no case inside the dwelling. The amount of dust that is generated when cutting even a small amount of material is about an order of magnitude higher than all other cutting methods. The only undeniable advantage of this option is that with the help of a circular and a diamond wheel, you can cut porcelain stoneware at 45 degrees.
Water cutting of porcelain stoneware
The most efficient and at the same time accurate method of sawing very hard natural and artificial granites is the waterjet system. It allows you to cut out entire designs and 3D images. The system is powerful enough to cut porcelain stoneware up to 200 mm thick. At home, such equipment is not used for obvious reasons.
Cutting with water can be done on a hydromechanical machine. The use of water or water emulsion can significantly reduce the heating temperature of the tool and the porcelain stoneware itself. The result is less wear and better surface quality. The emulsion is applied to the edge of the wheel, but not to the surface of the ceramic.
The diamond wheel, mounted on the rotor of the motor, is fed along the guides of the machine along the surface of the porcelain stoneware, the coolant is supplied from a special reservoir directly to the cutting zone. This method is considered the most harmless, since almost all dust is washed off with water and removed from the surface of porcelain stoneware. It is clear that you can cut the material in this way if you can find a separate room at home, for example, in a garage or in a barn.
Such machines have very high characteristics and cutting speed, therefore, if you plan to cut porcelain stoneware of complex shapes and sizes at home, then using a hydromechanical machine will be the best option.
HOW TO Cut a groove on a stone without a machine
Oddly enough, but most of the problems arise not even with the drive or the tool used to process porcelain stoneware, but directly with the diamond disc. The main complaint about the diamond is the rapid loss of cutting ability. As a result, with an increase in feed and force, the edge of the wheel heats up and begins to lose diamond powder. If you try to cut at home in this mode for at least 10-20 seconds, then nothing will remain of an expensive disc.
In this case, before each cut, the edge is cleaned and restored; at home, this can be done on an ordinary red brick by performing several small cuts. This removes soft material adhering to the diamond strip.
Experienced craftsmen, before cutting porcelain stoneware tiles, soak the material in water for 10-15 minutes. Artificial granite absorbs moisture very poorly, but a small amount of water still remains on the edge of the slab. As a result, the first time the cutting edge touches the surface, a beautiful, chip-free entry hole is guaranteed.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a jigsaw
Quite an unusual way of sawing porcelain stoneware slabs. Using an electric or hand jigsaw to cut very dense and hard material always raises some doubts among beginners. Nevertheless, it is quite possible to cut ceramics and porcelain stoneware with a jigsaw even at home, but only if certain requirements are met:
- The tool must be prepared for sawing porcelain stoneware. A thin, necessarily soft material is glued to the sole, you can use paper or rubber. This is done in order not to scratch or damage the front surface of the plate;
- The second step is to turn off the pendulum vibration-movement on the hacksaw blade feed mechanism, otherwise the saw will cut chipped into porcelain stoneware;
- A special type of diamond-coated hacksaw blade is used for sawing tiles.
In addition, the slab itself must be securely fixed on the countertop using clamps, and a rubber strip must be placed under the porcelain stoneware to reduce vibrations. The method for cutting porcelain stoneware is quite simple and does not require special skills, ideal for use at home. It is valuable that curly cutting of porcelain stoneware is very easy to perform with a jigsaw.
You can also cut tiles with a hand jigsaw, sometimes there is simply no other tool at home, however, it will take several times longer, but it is possible to get a very accurate and high-quality cut. In this case, the side edges of the hacksaw blade are ground off, and emery powder is fed into the seam during sawing.
Curved cutting of porcelain stoneware
It is believed that this method is the cleanest of all mechanized options, which is especially important if you have to work at home, without a hood and vacuum cleaner.
Where to cut porcelain stoneware tiles
Oddly enough, but it is the smallest ceramic dust that is formed when cutting artificial ceramic granite turns into the main problem. At home, it is most convenient to cut the material directly at the place of its laying.
If you plan to cut tiles with a tile cutter, then you can cut out porcelain stoneware in any place suitable for this. The amount of shavings and dust in this case is insignificant, but the performance at home is relatively small.
For curly cutting or cutting sufficiently thick slabs of porcelain stoneware, you will have to use an angle grinder or machine. You will have to work at home either in the courtyard of the house, or you will have to sacrifice a bathroom or a toilet.
How to cut porcelain stoneware with a glass cutter
The technology of cutting tile material using a manual glass cutter is not much different from the previous method. The only differences are that, instead of a carriage moving along the guides, you have to cut porcelain stoneware with a small tool held in your hand.
In fact, this is ideal if you want to cut material at home. Instead of a frame fixture, a regular table, a metal ruler and the glass cutter itself are used. In order to cut the porcelain stoneware, it is enough to lay a ruler on the mowing line of the marking and draw a diamond along the mowing line of the cut.
To break the material, the tiles are laid on the table so that the scratch line coincides with the edge of the table top, pressed on top with a board and with a sharp movement break the material into two halves. For home conditions, there is no easier way, but in order to master the technique, you need to practice cutting on the waste of porcelain stoneware or glass.
The advantage of this method is the simplicity and the minimum amount of equipment required. It is easier to store a manual glass cutter with a diamond at home than a tile cutter. The disadvantage of this method is that it is necessary to learn how to draw the line with a diamond along the markings at a constant speed, and most importantly, to do it continuously, in one motion, while accurately metering the force applied to the surface of porcelain stoneware.
In addition, it is very difficult to cut the material with a glass cutter without chips, therefore, if possible, it is best to use a diamond rather than a carbide roller.
Cutting porcelain stoneware tiles at home
Anyone who prefers to make repairs or do minor work with their own hands must have had to cut porcelain stoneware at home. In the first trials, cutting of porcelain tiles is more difficult than in the case of cutting tiles. It turns out a lot of scrap, but in general, the process itself is not much different from working with high-quality ceramic tiles.
The cutting line should be marked with an allowance for finishing.
Features of cutting porcelain stoneware
It should be noted that cutting a very dense and hard porcelain stoneware slab is sometimes even easier at home than in the case of ceramic tiles. Those who don’t believe can try to cut overheated ceramics made on old Soviet or Chinese equipment at home. In comparison, cutting porcelain tiles does not look so problematic.
It is quite possible to cut porcelain stoneware without chips, although some masters argue that it is impossible to achieve this in principle. If this were really the case, then most of the walls and steps tiled with porcelain tiles would be with wide seams, curves and unattractive.
It’s not even about the hardness of porcelain stoneware. The technology for the manufacture of artificial granite is such that as a result of pressing and deep firing, material is obtained practically without internal stresses, and this is the guarantee of high quality mowing line sawing.
In order to accurately and accurately cut porcelain stoneware at home, only two conditions must be met:
- Choose the right cutting mode, ensure constant and uniform pressure with the cutting tool on the line of the cut of porcelain stoneware;
- Choose the right tool for your specific cutting conditions.
It is clear that at home, the possibilities of cutting the material are significantly limited, but even in an apartment it is quite possible to cut porcelain stoneware without a tile cutter, although initially the amount of dust generated when working with electric machines is frightening.
Most plumbing fixtures are resistant to small deposits. But despite this, the mixers easily lose their appearance, and the “affected” toilet looks unpresentable.
There are several reasons that contribute to the most plaque formation.
- The more often family members use the water, the thicker the lime layer in the toilet.
- Lack of filters makes things worse.
- Toilets with a rough surface due to old age or damage quickly become covered with lime, urinary stones, and are more difficult to clean.
If the plumbing is in poor condition, water is constantly dripping from the toilet bowl or sink, then the paths of the lime layer will always be on the walls of the plumbing equipment.
If the drain system does not function well, and water constantly flows in trickles along the walls of the toilet bowl, then ugly yellow smudges are formed. All methods of combating limescale and rust will help with this problem.
Ordinary baking soda is also considered a good remedy, which will cope with fresh dirt.
- Dissolve a couple of tablespoons of baking soda with a teaspoon of water to form a thick gruel.
- Apply to smudges.
- After an hour, wash off with a sponge and warm water.
Unfortunately, you will have to deal with the “yellow tracks” constantly and often, if you do not fix the toilet.
They have two main advantages:
- Thanks to the curved neck, the gel penetrates under the rim of the toilet bowl and into hard-to-reach places.
- Low substance consumption. To cleanse you need very little product. There are clear instructions on the back of the bottle, which describe the different options for washing plumbing.
All the cleaners sold are aimed at more than just getting rid of plaque and urinary calculi. The secondary tasks are the freshness of the toilet, the elimination of unnecessary odors, and most importantly, the disinfection of the surface.
The most common and effective gels:
- Duckling 3 in 1;
- Toilet Yplon;
Despite the many advantages. from ease of use to amazing efficiency, there is a significant disadvantage. All products are chemical products, moreover, caustic, which can cause allergies, damage to the skin and respiratory tract.
Plaque removal products
To combat urinary stones or an unsightly lime layer, both purchased and folk remedies are used that can cope with the task no worse.
To make cleaning easier in the future, you need to do this more often, using special tablets for the cistern. They are formulated with anti-limescale components.
An additional advantage of such products is aromatization, that is, the toilet will be clean and pleasantly smelling. Pills are easy to purchase at any department in the supermarket.
- Coca Cola. A drink with such a famous name is used not only as a thirst quencher. The substances included in its composition contribute to the removal of a thin layer of lime. For cleaning, you need to pour Coca-Cola directly into the toilet along the rim. Leave for an hour. Then wipe the surface with a sponge and rinse.
- Vinegar. A glass of 9% vinegar is heated in a saucepan until warm. After that, 1 tablespoon of baking soda is added to it. The resulting solution is applied to areas covered with dirt, left overnight. In the morning, all that remains is to wash off the product.
- Lemon acid. This is the most popular method. Sprinkle limescale with citric acid. After 3 hours of exposure with a sponge, residues of deposits are easily removed. The only drawback is the inconvenience of use on vertical surfaces.
- White. This liquid helps housewives when it is necessary to bleach things or wash stains on light surfaces. For the best effect, you must first rid the toilet bowl of water, dry it with paper towels. Then apply whiteness generously to the stains. For exposure, the plumbing is left alone under a closed lid for 8-12 hours.
- Oxalic acid. Another effective way to clean the toilet is to use oxalic acid. Just before using it, you should know that it is necessary to work with this tool in rubber gloves. Oxalic acid is applied to the abrasive side of a damp sponge, which is used to rub the damaged areas. After the end of the procedure, the toilet is washed abundantly with water.
Stopping the choice on any of the means, regardless of whether it is professional or folk, you must first try it on a small and inconspicuous area of plumbing equipment. If there is no negative reaction, then you can start a big cleaning.
Remove plaque quickly
For toilet cleaning, it is recommended to purchase cleaners in curved end vials. This configuration of the container helps to get to all corners, including under the rim, without getting your hands dirty, using gloves and a sponge.
Removing limescale in the toilet
No matter how women try to wash all the plumbing, limescale and urinary stones in the toilet are a constant phenomenon. Fortunately, there are proven ways to deal with this scourge.
Prevent the appearance of plaque
In order for the toilet bowl to glow clean, exuding a pleasant aroma, it is enough to follow a few simple rules.
- Once a week, carry out a general cleaning of plumbing with limescale products.
- If necessary, clean the toilet with a brush after each trip to the toilet.
- Monitor the serviceability of the drain tank, eliminate the breakdown in a timely manner to avoid the appearance of drips.
- Use special tablets intended for the cistern.
You should also avoid the use of abrasive cleaners, hard sponges, brushes that damage surfaces.
Limescale makes even beautiful, expensive plumbing fixtures look ugly. You don’t want to touch it and use it often. Therefore, you need to quickly remove all deposits, as well as regularly clean.