How to cut tempered glass at home
Cutting tempered glass at home
A lot depends on this step, and the preparation process itself depends on what kind of glass you decide to use for cutting. New glass, bought specifically for the purpose, it is enough to simply wipe, and, for this purpose, it is better to use an old newspaper (this will avoid streaks and settling of small lint). You have to work a lot harder with used glass. Firstly it must be thoroughly cleaned using special glass cleaner. Secondly, degrease it with a cloth soaked in kerosene, for example, and finally dry it in a closed room to prevent dust from getting onto the surface.
In addition, the preparation of glass implies cutting it. As it is known, it is unlikely that you will achieve a completely waste-free production when working with glass, especially if you have in mind to get a product not quite the right geometric shape. However, an accurate calculation will reduce possible waste to a minimum. At this stage, a more sensible solution would be to combine the longer side of the glass with the longer side of the workpiece. Keep in mind that the obtained scraps should not be thrown away, they can be used later for creating new items.
Instructions for cutting tempered glass
The high strength and hardness of the surface determines that the cutting can be quite serious problems. When considering how to cut tempered glass, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Preparation of the workpiece is carried out by annealing. This technology involves uniform heating of the surface. It eliminates the tensions that are built up inside the material when it is hardened. This tension makes it much more difficult to achieve the required dimensions.
- The annealing process involves heating water to a certain temperature, after which the workpiece is lowered into it. Keep in mind, cutting automotive or decorative glass should be done at different temperatures, depending on the brand of the material.
- The holding time of tempered glass in water can vary greatly. In some cases, it takes about an hour, and the heaviest versions are seasoned for a month.
- Once the desired temperature is reached, the workpiece is slowly cooled. The work is done slowly, due to this excludes the possibility of even the smallest defects.
- Once the surface temperature has dropped, you can put on glasses and make the cut when using a glass cutter. You can cut the glass for the phone in a similar way.
- A marking should be made before you make the cut. Smooth and accurate lines are achieved when using an angle and other measuring instruments.
- A medium pressure should be applied to the material, as a high pressure can cause serious defects. Cutting is carried out quickly, trying to make a line for the trimmer is not recommended because such actions can lead to cracks and splits.
- Be careful when cutting, as you will not be able to make a line for the trimmer cut again. After obtaining the required mowing line under it is placed a rod, a sharp push of the product is divided into two parts.
If the work is done carefully it is possible to get a quality cut. The finishing of the end surface can be made with grinding stone.
Tempered glass properties
Before tempered glass is processed, we should consider its main properties. These include:
- The structure is characterized by high mechanical strength. Due to this, they can be used for glazing balconies and loggias.
- Strength and hardness allow the material to be used in the manufacture of furniture and other products.
- To improve the conventional glass is carried out thermal processing in a special furnace. The medium is heated to a temperature of 670°C.
- The thermal resistance index is substantially increased. There are many instances of tempered glass being used in equipment that is used at elevated temperatures. The hardness value remains unchanged by heating.
According to research data, the tempered glass strength index is 7 times higher than that of ordinary glass.
That’s why it is difficult to damage the material and make it mechanically.
How to cut glass without a glass cutter
Before we get into the details of how to cut glass, we want to remind you of safety. Always wear work gloves and goggles when working to avoid cuts and shards in the eyes. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the glass.
Using the flaming thread
This is a very common method mostly used to cut glass bottles. Straight glass can also be cut with this method, but with a few complications. All you need to make an even cut of the glass is a piece of woolen thread, flammable liquid (alcohol, kerosene, etc.), and a bottle of glass.д.) and a container of cold water.
Soak the string in flammable liquid and fix it in place along the cut line. Light it, wait until it burns through, and then immediately place it in cold water or pour it on the heated area. The main thing is that the glass cools down as quickly as possible and breaks from the temperature drop. A loud “click” indicates the success of the cutter. If the glass is not cracked, you can try to repeat the operation. This method fairly even chips bottles, but does not always work with the large size of glass. Just he is very fire-hazardous and requires a fire extinguisher on hand or a container of water, which is already mandatory.
A very interesting, but rather slow way to cut glass thermally. It is more suitable for shaped cuts, but it will also make an ordinary straight line for a trimmer without any problems. This operation requires a file and a heating element (soldering iron or pyrometer).
After marking a line on the glass for the trimmer of the future cut, we take a file and make with it a small groove at the very edge. With 1 to 2 mm away from it, heat the place with the soldering iron until a micro-crack is formed between it and the groove. Then back off from the crack itself the same distance and gradually move to the finish point. It takes a long time to cut the glass this way, but you can get any shape. To speed things up a bit, you can periodically cool the glass by putting a damp cloth over it.
Using scissors in water
The easy way to directionally chip the glass. Makes it easy to cut round shapes, but not perfect for making straight lines. For such cutting you will need usual scissors and a container with water, which will serve as a kind of lubricant. The maximum thickness of the glass must not exceed 4 mm.
The process of cutting with this method is extremely simple. We take a piece of glass to be cut, submerge it in water, and use scissors to cut off small pieces from the edges. The water prevents the glass from cracking, allowing you to make a controlled chip. This way you can get shapes of oval and round shape.
With a diamond wheel
Not the safest way to cut glass, requiring extra care and mandatory safety rules. Can easily chip glass and launch a splinter in any direction. Otherwise, the method is quite effective and can cope with the task. For cutting you will need a special tool (angle grinder, drilling machine or drill) with a diamond disk of thickness 0.1mm. The cutting process itself is quite simple, but requires some skill and a steady hand to guide the tool straight along the line. We put a piece of glass to be cut on a flat place, then we take the cutter and move the disk of the trimmer on the glass surface. The main thing is not to immerse into the depths, but only to touch lightly, so that a small groove is formed, similar to a wide line for a trimmer from the glass cutter. Then we just break the glass in the right place. To decrease the chance of glass breaking and to reduce the amount of glass dust during the work, you can periodically sprinkle the place of the cut with water.
Another way to cut glass at home without a glass cutter or expensive power tools. You will need a file and some experience with glass. Note that a file should have angles, so a round one will not do.
To cut glass, all you need to do is make a few notches on its surface with the angle of a file. You need to press the file a little harder than average to create a clean groove that resembles a glass cutter. When the place of chipping is marked, simply break the glass against the edge of the table or put a match under the place of the cut. This method requires a certain skill, and if you are faced with cutting glass for the first time, we strongly recommend practicing on small, unnecessary splinters before moving on to the main material.
Use a diamond drill
If you know what glass cutting is all about, here’s another way to cut glass without a glass cutter. With some experience, a single pilot drill bit may be sufficient for this operation. The main thing is that the drill should be more or less new, with sharp corners on the head.
The process itself of cutting glass with a glass cutter is much the same as with a regular roller cutter. Of the differences, you can distinguish a higher pressure force, but otherwise all the steps are standard. We lay the glass on a flat surface, mark the trimmer line for the cut, put a plank on it, and guide the trimmer line down from the top. Before making the cut, turn the tip so that the sharpest corner of the tip touches the glass. Using a clear trimmer line we break the glass along the cut line. The method of cutting glass with a pobedite drill, requires skill and practical experience in handling this material. The beginners have very little chance to make an accurate cut with this method, but with patience and straight hands, you can get the desired result.
Properties of tempered glass
Before the treatment of tempered glass, you should consider its basic properties. These include:
- The structure is characterized by high mechanical strength. Due to this they can be used for glazing balconies and loggias.
- Strength and hardness allows the material to be used in the manufacture of furniture and other products.
- To improve the conventional glass, thermal processing is carried out in a special furnace. The medium is heated to a temperature of 670°C.
- The thermal resistance index is considerably increased. When making various devices that are used at high temperature, tempered glass is often used. When heated, the hardness indicator remains unchanged.
According to research data, the tempered glass strength index is 7 times higher than that of ordinary glass.
That is why it is quite difficult to damage the material and carry out its machining.
When considering how to cut tempered glass, you should consider the preparatory stage. Careful preparation allows to achieve high quality. Cutting tempered glass at home is done with the following information in mind:
- Inner areas of tension are created in the production of the material. Rapid heating and cooling causes such areas to redistribute. The inside of the glass is more viscous than the outside.
- The workpiece must be securely clamped at the time of machining. Many different tools can be used for this.
- The surface of the cut glass must be free of any contaminants. Examples are oil or paint, which can significantly reduce the quality of processing.
In general, it can be said that the preparation for the work is quite simple. However, without special tools and equipment, cutting will not be possible.
We use scissors
Material which is not very thick can be cut with scissors. First you will have to make a marking. How to cut glass using this method? You need to immerse it in warm water and cut it into pieces of the required size. If nothing came out or the material began to crumble, then you got hardened glass (peculiarities of cutting are listed below). For cutting a large piece you will need a bath or a large basin with water.
The procedure is performed as follows: the edge of the scissors moves along the marking, and then you break off the unwanted element. This method is suitable for sheets up to 3 mm thick and allows you to cut shapes with straight contours. To facilitate the work, a template is made of cardboard and pasted with glue to the workpiece. You should know that the material will be more pliable under a large layer of water.
The sharp edges and burrs of the glass easily cut through human skin. As protection against accidental injury, use sturdy cotton clothing and gloves or mittens. Take care of good shoes.
Work on cutting glass requires observing all the same safety rules that apply when handling any tools at home.
If, nevertheless, unpleasantness has occurred, it is necessary to treat the wounds with first aid remedies from the first aid kit. It must be at hand.
Particular attention should be paid to eye protection when working with glass. Transparent glasses do a good job of this function
Unfortunately a lot of people don’t follow these simple rules.
All of the above practical tips should help you properly cut with the glass cutter and install blanks in the frame. Watching Andrei Smirnov’s video “Learning to cut glass” will help to improve their perception.
The preparatory step
When considering how to cut tempered glass, you should consider the preparatory stage. Careful preparation allows to achieve high quality. Cutting tempered glass at home is carried out with the following information in mind:
- In the production of the material, zones with internal areas of stress are formed. With rapid heating and cooling, such areas are redistributed. The inside of the glass becomes more viscous than the outside.
- The workpiece must be securely fastened at the time of machining. A variety of fixtures can be used for this purpose.
- The surface of the tempered glass must be cleaned of contaminants. Examples are oil or paint, which can substantially reduce the quality of the processing.
In general, it can be said that preparation for work is relatively simple. However, without special tools and equipment, cutting will not be possible.
The process of preparation and cutting
In order to cut tempered glass, the first thing to do is to lower its strength and change its structure. Annealing is used for this purpose. It eliminates the stresses that were formed by hardening this glass during its manufacture.
Annealing is carried out according to the technology described below:
Before cutting the glass it must be marked out.
- The first important step is to soak the glass. This should be done in water at a constant temperature. Gradually increase the water temperature until the viscosity of the glass equals that of the furnace. This will require careful timing. The viscosity inside the oven is 1013 Poise. Different brands of glass from different companies have different viscosity values, so there is no point in citing them. Also the duration of the procedure depends on the size of the glass to be soaked. Large sheets (window glass) are soaked for an average of 12-16 hours.
- The next step is to heat the glass in the furnace. The glass should be heated to its melting point. Depending on the manufacturer and brand, it varies from 470 to 680 degrees Celsius. It cannot be higher than 680. The necessary figure can be found on the marking or in the accompanying documents on the glass. It is important to remember that the temperatures quoted by American manufacturers are on the Fahrenheit scale, so these values should be converted to Celsius. It is not necessary to keep the glass in the furnace for a long time, it is only necessary to bring it to the necessary temperature.
- When the glass has reached the necessary peak temperature, it is removed and cooled. Let it cool to below its temperature of deformation (1014 Poise). In this case it is necessary to ensure the slowest possible cooling. Next, the glass should cool to a temperature of 20-25 degrees Celsius. To do this, simply leave it in a room (or other room).
- When the glass is at room temperature, you should mark the cut lines on it with markers and rulers. After that the glass is cut. It is done in the same way as for ordinary glass. the glass cutter makes a “groove”, along the cutting line, and then beats off the unwanted pieces with light strokes. For a neater cut, small diameter wooden rods are put under the “groove”. This is required if it is necessary to make a very neat line for the trimmer cut.
- When the glass is cut, you need to take care of quenching. In the first and second stage there was a “simplification” of the texture and the hardened glass has become the most common. Therefore it is necessary to harden it anew in order to give it its former (initial) properties. For this completely repeats items 1 and 2. the glass is prepared by viscosity, then heated in a furnace to the temperature specified by the manufacturer.
- Quenching is quite different from quenching when you give the glass its normal tempering properties. To do this pre-install a ventilation system (powerful) in an open area, and ideally reduce the temperature in the room to 10 degrees Celsius (which does not negate the need for a fan). The glass is laid out on the pre-prepared machine (it should give air access on both sides of the sheet) and turn on the fan for intensive blowing. Both sides of the sheet must be blown at the same time. Once the glass has cooled to room temperature, it is ready for installation.
It is important to observe safety rules and use personal protective equipment when performing all work.
After reading the above method of cutting glass, many people prefer to refuse this procedure. And they will be 100% right. Because it is difficult, unreasonably expensive and dangerous to life and health. In addition, not having experience, a high probability that the workpieces will be spoiled and this “experiment” will come out very expensive. It is much cheaper, easier and safer to go to a company that has a laser cutter, or to order the glass in the required size from the factory.
How to cut glass with a glass cutter at home
Sooner or later in a household, you may have to replace the glass yourself. But working with such a fragile material is very dangerous. In this connection, to avoid injury and unnecessary material consumption, you should know the basic rules for working with this material and the selected tool.
Cutting ordinary glass is very simple and it will not cause a person any difficulties. Cutting such glass can be done with a special glass cutter or even with ordinary scissors.
If you have no idea how to properly handle this tool, you can watch numerous videos on this topic on our website. They will help you cut out the desired shape and provide the necessary information on working with a rather complex and fragile material like glass.
In order for the cut to be of high quality, you must first prepare the material for work. If the glass is new, you just need to wipe it down. Newspaper is best for this purpose, it predominantly wipes the surface dry and does not leave behind lint and streaks.
If the glass has previously been in use, it will take a little more time to prepare the material before cutting it with the glass cutter. In the first place such a surface should be well washed, using special means for cleaning glass. Then conduct a thorough degreasing process. You can also use kerosene. To do this, a rag soaked in kerosene, you need to carefully wipe the glass and wait until it dries completely.
At the same time, the glass preparation phase also includes cutting. There is no doubt that you will be able to achieve the end result without waste, especially if you need to cut the product irregular geometric shape. But if you do the calculation as correctly as possible, you can reduce the amount of waste by several times.
Also, make sure that the work surface is sufficiently flat and without a slope, but also not too hard, preferably the work surface is made of plywood or fiberboard, and cover the top with oilcloth or a soft cloth.
How to cut glass with a glass cutter: detailed instructions
If you have planned to work on cutting glass, the first thing to do is to determine which glass cutter is best suited for your case. At this moment there are two types of tools. diamond and roller.
The diamond model is considered by right the leader among tools of this type. If you are going to use it at home, then the model that has a beveled edge is excellent, which is very convenient for breaking off the cut pieces. You can cut almost ten kilometers of material with this glass cutter, up to one centimeter thick. But at the same time you should take into account that there are also cheap types, in which an artificial diamond is installed, allowing you to cut glass with a thickness not exceeding 5 mm.
Unlike diamond, a roller glass cutter has a working element in the form of a small roller, usually made of hard-alloy materials, usually tungsten alloy with cobalt, which is able to cut material up to 4 mm thick. The advantage of this type of tool is that the roller can easily move across the glass, while not applying much effort to make a furrow.
The work process is carried out in the following order:
Clean and dry glass is placed on the surface of the work table. Using a marker the necessary markings are made. Next, on both ends, small cuts are made along the marked line. Note that the material to be used must be in tight contact with the surface of the work table.
How to use and cut glass properly with a glass cutter video
After that it is necessary to put a ruler on the glass and along it the tool to spend a line for a trimmer. Holding the diamond glass cutter in your hands is just like holding an ordinary pencil, only a small amount of force should be applied when traversing the marked line. As a result, only a barely visible trace remains on the glass, which outwardly resembles a scratch. If the tool is quite serviceable, then there must necessarily be a characteristic sound that resembles a crackling sound. If the sound is squeaky, it means that its cutting element needs to be sharpened on a special bar for this purpose.
To hold such a tool during the work should be at a small angle, the correctness of which is determined by experience. Keep in mind, a tool that is in the correct position relative to the glass will leave a colorless, thin trimmer line.
The roller glass cutter, unlike the diamond cutter, must be held at a right angle to the glass surface, with the middle and thumb pressed down and the index finger pressed up. Take into account that with the roller tool, you press a little more than with the diamond tool, and the notch itself should get a white color.
In order to get a quality and, of course, even cut. remember a few simple rules to follow when working with glass using a diamond tool:
- Do not force the glass cutter when moving it, otherwise the cut will be too deep and the edges will be uneven.
- Never make another cut along this line. Otherwise, the glass can crack. Make the cut as quickly as possible. For example, if we cut a meter length, it takes no more than two seconds.
- In order to break the workpiece quickly and accurately along the line of the cut, you must tap lightly on the underside of the glass. Then you don’t have to work hard to break it off.
How to properly cut glass with an oil glass cutter video
If you are just a beginner, it is best to practice on small pieces, it will help to determine the right angle of the tool, to gain experience, to reduce losses, as well as in the future to avoid mistakes.
How to cut a circle out of glass
In order to be able to cut a circle out of glass, you can use several different methods, which may differ depending on the diameter of the future circle and, of course, the thickness of the glass.
How to cut glass properly with a glass cutter at home with your hands, how to cut a thick sheet
One way or another, all of us are faced with the need to replace glass in doors and windows, glazing bookshelves and other manipulations related to the processing of this fragile material. At first glance, it seems that independent performance of these works is very problematic, but in fact, anyone can master the skills of a glazier.
Of course it is necessary to follow the safety precautions to avoid cuts and injuries, to choose a handy tool and to cut correctly with it. In practice, you will see that using a glass cutter when cutting glass is quite easy. often than not, you can cut a rectangular piece the first time.
Choosing the tool
The tool for dividing the glass surface into parts is the glass cutter. Cutting sheets of glass of varying thicknesses. When choosing a tool, make sure that the fragments can be separated into pieces the first time. Glass cutters come in the following varieties:
- Glass cutters with diamond cutting heads that have been in use for a long time. The high hardness of this stone results in an excellent cut of about ten thousand meters.
- Tools in which the cutting function is performed by rollers made of a particularly tough alloy of tungsten and cobalt.Glass cutters with this hardness can cut through glass up to four millimeters thick.
- In the advanced design of roller glass cutters, a container of oil is placed in the handle of the tool, which is fed to the cutting line. The result is a greater penetration depth of cut into the material structure. Thick glass can be cut at home with an oil glass cutter.
- Circular cuts are made with a glass cutter similar in shape to a compass. One end of the tool is fixed with a suction cup in the center of the circumference to be outlined, its radius is set by means of an adjustable scale, at the end of which the cutting element is located. These glass cutters are usually equipped with a reservoir for oil to the surface to be cut.
The work also requires a long and straight ruler, which will be used to outline a straight line to trim the division. To make cuts of a more complex configuration, a mold of the appropriate shape is used.
Preparing the material and the work table
To make a quality cut, the glass surface must be cleaned well. If the glass has just been purchased, it will be enough to wipe it with newspaper, which does not leave behind any streaks and lint.
Glass that has been used previously needs to be prepared more carefully. To do this, its surface is washed with special cleaners, then grease deposits are removed, for example, a rag soaked in white spirit.
The preparatory phase also includes the calculation of the configuration of the cutting surface. It is not possible to avoid waste completely, but an accurate calculation can significantly reduce the amount of waste. Do not throw the scrap into the trim and use it later.
Carpeting is a good base for cutting glass
Work table must be flat, without any steep slopes. It is not necessary to make the surface of the table top too hard, it is better to make it from chipboard and cover it with soft textile or other similar material on top for more comfortable cutting.
Learning to cut glass with your own hands
The clear surface of glass resists loads evenly spaced on the plane, but pitting causes it to break. Microcracks in the material structure reduce its mechanical strength, so the technology of cutting glass is based on creating a scratch on its surface with a cutting tool and dividing it into parts by bending force applied to the weakened edges.
Before you start cutting glass, you need to make sure the factory sheet has the right right angles. Then it is placed on a flat flat surface, and with the help of a ruler and glass cutter a single cut is made. Then the sheet is broken with your own hands by bending force. If this is not done from the first time, the line for the saw trimmer is tapped out with a hammer, and the attempt is repeated.
A mirror can also be cut with your own hands
It is convenient to work with a diamond glass cutter
The glass cutter, which uses a diamond head as a cutting element, is very convenient to work with. The handle of the tool should be held in the hand just like a pencil, especially since it is similar to it in shape. Then a ruler or a template cut out according to the configuration of the cut is placed on the sheet to be processed, and a uniform scratch is accurately made on the glass surface. The following rules should be observed:
- The tool should be placed at an angle to the plane of the sheet about the same way as when drawing with a pencil on paper.
- Do not apply too much pressure to the handle of the glass cutter. In this case the saw trimmer line will become chipped and uneven.
- It is not permissible to run the cutter blade over an already marked scratch. If the sheet can’t be broken, step aside a little and repeat the procedure.
- Work quickly and carefully. Two seconds is a guide line for cutting a one meter length of sheet.
Then a line for the trimmer of a quality cut is aligned with the edge of the work table so that the part of the sheet that goes to waste is in the weight. The cut on the underside is tapped with the handle of the glass cutter or a construction hammer. When you perform this manipulation, unwanted fragments can easily be separated and fall into the box.
How to cut with a roller tool
Proper operation of the tool, which uses carbide rollers as a cutting part, has its own peculiarities. In this case the glass cutter is not placed at an angle to the workpiece, but vertically.
The roller glass cutter must be pressed hard
over, you need to apply more pressure on the handle of this type of tool, otherwise you will not get a quality cut. The roller cuts the glass well during the first three hundred meters, after that it must be replaced with a new one.
The principle of operation of the oil tool is no different from that of a conventional roller cutter. The lubrication of the work area makes it easier to work and increases the service life of the glass cutter.
How to cut tempered glass at home?
Tempered glass is one of the most common materials. To increase its strength, the hardening technology is used. After this process the workability of the material is significantly reduced. When considering whether it is possible to cut tempered glass, we note that only by using special techniques can you avoid the appearance of the defect. Today, cutting tempered glass can be done at home with a variety of tools.
Even though uranium glassware is not being produced at the moment, it can be found in the possession of our grandmothers. Just in Soviet times made yellowish and greenish vases, glasses, ashtrays, beads. If such things are lying around in the attic, you can consider yourself an honorary owner of a rarity. In order to verify the safety of such products one should use a UV lamp and a Geiger counter. An experienced collector knows that you should buy uncertified items only after checking them with a dosimeter. With knowledge of the nomenclature and manufacturing techniques, it is possible to predict what level of radiation in a particular range of electromagnetic waves is to be expected from various products.
Tempered glass is characterized by increased strength. It is used for glazing balconies, loggias and skylights. This material is used to create a variety of furniture and translucent structures. If it is necessary to cut the tempered glass, it is necessary to prepare for this process by carefully studying all the peculiarities of the event.
The first thing to do is to study the properties of tempered glass. It is essentially a thermally polished material. Unpolished and polished glass sheets are used for its production. Tempering is carried out in specially designed furnaces.
It must be cut on a flat surface with a cloth or a piece of paper.
In such a machine the glass is heated up to 680 degrees. At this temperature, the material softens partially. Then the glass cools down quickly under the influence of steady air currents. First you cool the surface layer. The internal ones are subjected to residual compression stress in the process. This is what makes tempered glass so heat resistant and mechanically strong.
What tools to use?
Many of us are used to thinking that you can cut glass properly and qualitatively only with a glass cutter. But what to do if you need to cut a piece of glass urgently, and this tool is not to hand? There is one more unusual, but no less effective method, which helped our ancestors to get out of this situation. Such tools are usual scissors, available to any owner. Let’s look at each method in detail.
The technology of cutting glass with a glass cutter is quite simple. You have to follow certain conditions and choose the right glass cutter. Nowadays the choice of this tool is wide enough to turn the work into a pleasure.
- Diamond glass cutter, time-tested and still a leader in its field to this day. Glass cutters with beveled cutting edge are suitable for home use. Such a tool is designed to cut glass up to ten kilometers and is suitable for any thickness of the material used. From time to time, this glass cutter needs to be sharpened on a special block.
- The roller cutter. As the name suggests, the cutting part of such a glass cutter is made in the form of a roller made of durable cobalt-tungsten alloy. The number of rollers can range from one to six.
- Oil. This tool works on the principle of the roller glass cutter, with the difference that its handle has a built-in reservoir of oil, which is fed automatically to the roller. Suitable for cutting thick glass.
For how to choose a good glass cutter, see
So, once you have the glass cutter figured out, place the glass on a flat surface. Make a marking of the glass and get to work. To facilitate the task, you can use a ruler. It is worth bearing in mind that the line for the trimmer must be drawn the first time, otherwise a second attempt will lead to a cracking of the surface. The glass cutter should be used with the same force along the entire length of the line it is drawn on.
Cutting glass with scissors like paper is not a fairy tale, but a very common reality. For this purpose, you will need scissors (sewing scissors are best) and a reservoir of water (preferably hot). It is necessary to apply the marking on the glass in advance, and then, elementary physics gets to work: the scissors create a micro-crack, and the capillary effect completes the process. Of course, the result obtained will differ from that achieved by the glass cutter, but if necessary, this method can significantly help.
Types of glass cutters
First of all, remember that there are different kinds of glass: ordinary window glass, tempered glass, plexiglass, acrylic, fluted glass, and about ten other variants. Also, even an ordinary roller can be thick enough or, on the contrary, thin and very brittle. Depending on the type, the tool is also selected, the way of cutting. But using a glass cutter is the most common option.
The construction market offers several options for glass cutters:
- The diamond can cut virtually any thickness of glass and has a long service life. As a working element, a diamond is used, which, if necessary, is easily rotated with a non-stone facet;
- roller and has a working part, which is made of an alloy of cobalt and tungsten, and is characterized by increased strength. The number of rollers varies from one to six and they can be replaced;
- the oil roller has rollers and a reservoir of grease that runs on the surface and reduces friction. When worn, the roller itself and its mount need to be replaced;
- with a circumferential function that allows circles to be cut. Most often, the conventional oil glass cutter is mounted on a special device with a scale that allows you to set the diameter of the circle.
Before you cut glass with a glass cutter, it must be prepared:
- Clean off any dirt, perhaps wash and wipe dry;
- Remove the slightest dust, as the smallest particle that the glass cutter encounters can be source of cracking;
- If used glass is used, it also needs to be degreased with kerosene;
- drawing the cut lines.
Important! It is necessary to prepare the surface on which the cutting will be carried out. It is chosen flat, clean, without height differences.