How To Cut Tiles Under 45
How to make a tile burr correctly
Whatever tool is chosen, it is advisable to practice on unnecessary tiles before the main work.
Features of mosaic cutting
Mosaic tiles are often used in modern room design. It is used for facing columns, bathtubs, boxes, allows you to finish in the original style, to create whole pictures. For convenience, ready-made modules from 30×30 cm are produced, consisting of small elements. When trimming, the main task is to securely fix small fragments.
Biting on the machine is done as follows:
- The mosaic module is placed between two sheets of plywood about 1 cm thick, face down. In this case, you should retreat 1-2 cm from the edge of the tile.
- The whole structure is fastened with self-tapping screws in 3-4 places, depending on the size of the module.
- The workpiece is placed on the working surface of the electric tile cutter. Cutting disc is set at a 45 degree angle and all fragments are cut evenly.
- The final grinding is done by an angle grinder with a diamond disc.
- If necessary, the surface is additionally processed with sandpaper.
- Masking tape is glued to the front side of the mosaic module: 2 overlapping strips. Distance from the edge. 1-2 cm.This ensures sufficient fixation of small fragments.
- Grinding is done on an electric tile cutter from the back of the tile. The module is placed on a solid base such as large format tiles.
- To obtain a more uniform and smoother cut, an angle grinder is used.
- Final finishing is done with a piece of wood and sandpaper.
Mosaic burr angle grinder consists of the following steps:
- The ceramic module fits between two plywood pieces of the same shape and size. The upper element is placed at a distance of 1-2 cm from the edge of the mosaic.
- From above, the entire structure is closed by a board and clamps are securely attached to the table.
- An angle grinder with a diamond disc is used for gouging in two steps: first, the entire module is sawn off at an angle of 45 degrees. Then the surface of each fragment is leveled more carefully.
- To make the cutting site smooth, sandpaper is used.
How to avoid chips
Chipping is the most undesirable result when grinding tiles. You must not close your eyes to them, as negative consequences are possible:
- The service life of the coating is reduced;
- Everything clings to the corners of the notches,
- The tile breaks down quickly;
- Hard surface maintenance due to sharp edges.
The recommendations of the masters will help to do the work without chips:
- The tile is cut only from the seamy side, a distance of 0.5-1 mm is left to the glaze;
- For an angle grinder, a new diamond-coated disc is taken;
- Work must be done slowly.
Electric tile cutter
The gash consists of the following operations:
- The processed tiles are placed on the work table.
- Cutting wheel is set at a 45 degree angle.
- Tiles are cut with a saw head with a diamond cutting blade, similar to the operation of a circular saw.
- Only the clay layer is cut off, the glazed surface must remain intact.
- The cut point is ground with an angle grinder with diamond turtles or emery wheels.
Tile burr at 45 degrees: tools and cutting rules
Ceramic tiles are the most popular and practical finish for kitchens, bathrooms and toilets. When working with tiles, it is necessary to cover the inner and outer corners, niches, and pipe boxes. In this case, it is required to cut the ceramic tile at an angle of 45 degrees. As a result, the joint between the elements will look neat, the grout will tightly close the seam and protect it from moisture. The article discusses how to grind tiles at 45 degrees at home without using expensive tools.
How to trim tiles at a 45 degree angle
To work in one apartment, it is not rational to purchase an electric tile cutter. You can qualitatively cut ceramic tiles at 45 degrees using an angle grinder (angle grinder). It is easier and faster to get the job done with a diamond blade. The edge is likely to be uneven. Such defects are polished with turtles. If the volume of work is one apartment, you can use a cheaper option instead: replaceable emery wheels with Velcro.
Models that are acceptable in terms of price and technical characteristics are:
- Caliber MSHU 125 / 900E 00000000955, 0-11000 rpm. 900 W;
- VORTEX angle grinder-125 / 1200E, 1200 W, up to 12000 rpm.
Quality diamond discs:
- BIZON 0512003, thickness 1.8 mm;
- Union 9020-04-150x22K, h = 2 mm;
- Expert (180×25.4 / 22.2 mm) PRACTICE 034-793 (for porcelain stoneware);
- Professional KEOS DBP01.200 for porcelain stoneware (180×25.4 / 22.2).
The quality of work depends on the type of attachment on the angle grinder for the final stage of cutting at 45 degrees. A good result is provided by a diamond wheel (flexible, grinding) AGSHK 100 No. 30 “Turtle”.
Electric tile cutter
An electric tile cutter is an expensive but essential tool for cutting large quantities of tiles. Performs straight saws and burrs at the selected angle. You can set a value from 0 to 45. In practice, tiles are most often trimmed at 45 degrees. Quality models are equipped with a cooling system. Thanks to this tiles and tools, there is no danger of overheating and dustiness of the workplace is reduced. Water supply does not affect the quality of the cut.
Consider buying an electric tool if you are trimming a hard and expensive material. porcelain stoneware. The following models are most popular:
- ZUBR EP-200-1000S (Russia). stationary floor tile cutter. The machine is expensive (21-22 thousand rubles), designed for professionals and allows you to saw off tiles of any thickness.
- ZUBR EP-180-600N (Russia). compact desktop model. It is used to cut and grind tiles straight from 0 to 45 degrees. It has a low noise level and no dust: water flows to the cutting site. Affordable price (4000 rubles) can be attractive for novice craftsmen.
- Models Feida TC 200 and Feida TC 250 (China). help to accurately cut high quality chamfers at an angle from 0 to 45 degrees.
- Tile cutting machine Einhell TH-TC 618 (China). allows you to saw and cut various ceramics, provided that the cutting depth does not exceed 22 mm.
If you cut the tile slightly less than 45 degrees, it will be easier to form a right angle.
an angle grinder to perform this task is more difficult than on a machine, but possible. During work, a lot of dust is generated, so you should use personal protective equipment: a respirator, goggles and gloves.
Burr step-by-step with an angle grinder for beginners:
- A diamond wheel is installed on the angle grinder.
- The tiles are placed face down on the table. The edge where the burr will be made hangs down slightly.
- The filing is in progress. the angle grinder moves from top to bottom, visually check the machine, it should be at an angle of 45 degrees in relation to the tile. We retreat 0.5-1 mm from the glazed edge of the tile.
- The place is washed down with a nozzle with sandpaper or diamond “turtles”.
- If there are small errors, it is better to use a wooden block with sandpaper and eliminate them pointwise.
With enough experience, you can reduce the number of steps.
- The tile is placed so that the cut edge is oriented vertically.
- Angle grinder is buried. from the seamy side of the tile at 45 degrees.
- When the corner is well defined, the cut edge is machined with the angle grinder again.
- Irregularities are polished with diamond turtles. With a small amount of work and time availability, a good result is achieved by using emery wheels.
How is cutting done?
How to cut the corner of a tile for installation on a wall, the instruction will help:
- When cutting, do not touch the glazed part, at least 0.5 mm and maximum 1 mm do not reach;
- If the coating layer is touched when cutting with the UCA (i.e. at 45 degrees), then sandpaper, giving the edge an attractive appearance;
- The tile, especially the domestic one, has a concave shape, therefore, in principle, it is impossible to make an ideal cut on the machine, the area that is concave is processed manually using grinding, but if the tile has a deflection, it is better to use a traditional plastic corner, it will be cheaper and faster;
- When cutting, there is a secret. cut the tiles with an angle of less than 45 degrees, but for a ceramic plinth this tolerance is not applicable;
- The painted end is better suited for cutting, it is not brought to the end, a gap of 1 mm is left;
- The tile cutter cuts the edge of the tile without dust, if you use water when cutting, the angle grinder leaves much more dust, therefore they work in a sealed mask or respirator.
Laying on corners is a costly and time-consuming method. In some cases, it is better to go the usual way. pick up plastic corners. But there are options when you can’t do without pruning. This refers to a tile for a decorative stone. In this case, only a 45 degree cut of the tile edge is possible.
How to get a quality 45 degree tile cut?
It is always problematic to decorate the corner of the wall with tiled tiles, since you have to select a special plastic corner to close the joint. And if you just cover it with tile glue, it looks ugly. There is another way to handle this type of joint. cutting the tiles at 45 degrees. This may initially seem like a tricky business, but it is not entirely true because there are obvious benefits.
What tool to cut?
In this variant of the tile undercut, the lower part is trimmed to use only the lower tile layer. And the upper glazed part is not affected. Tools with which we cut the corner:
- An electric tile cutter is a convenient, practical tool that cuts an angle at 45 degrees, because it cuts tiles in a range of up to 45 degrees and in this position firmly fixes the cutting edge;
- an angle grinder, with which you can also cut a corner, but this is much more difficult than on a tile cutter, but for home conditions an angle grinder is the most reasonable option.
Trimming tiles 45 degrees with a tile cutter
It is clear that the tile cutter is used by those who are engaged in professional tile laying, and the angle grinder is suitable for those who decide to make their own repairs in the bathroom or in the kitchen. But professionals also use an angle grinder to make final work on grinding the cut corner. But it is not easy for an unprepared person to make an incision on a tile with an angle grinder. So practice on the used pieces of pottery before starting your finishing work to help you cut the corner correctly.
Tile Cutting 45 Degree Angle Grinder
How to shape a corner?
Lay the cut tiles at an angle so that they look perfect, which is important, since the profile of the connecting edges has been changed and it is necessary that the tiles fit exactly to each other at the junction.
- The first tile is glued, the position is fixed with the level, the cut edge goes beyond the edge of the wall, which is normal.
- Until the glue has hardened, the tiles are glued on the other side of the wall, the cut edges are tightly connected, and then the tiles are glued in this order.
- It is important that the wall is even on both sides, otherwise the tiles will not be able to form the correct angle.
Laying tiles butt
What are the advantages of the method:
- Outwardly, aesthetically pleasing, and if the cut corner is made correctly, neatly, the wall is even, then it seems that the surface of the wall is monolithic;
- There is no need to match a plastic corner to the tile so that it matches the color of the facing, which reduces the time.
Tile decoration with a plastic corner
But the tile processed in this way also has disadvantages:
- Such an angle is located in the passage part, and since the cut part becomes thin, it is more vulnerable, a small blow with an empty bucket is enough to make a chip in this place, which will lead to the need to replace the tile;
- Work with sawing a corner is laborious, time-consuming, the price will increase compared to using a plastic corner.
Where it is impossible to lay tiles with an undercut on the USA?
Tile trimmed at 45 degrees is used to decorate the corner parts of the interior that go out. But it cannot be used in all cases.
Processing of tiles at an angle of 45 degrees using special tools such as a tile cutter or an angle grinder is performed in cases where it is necessary to form an angle. But the method of such decoration of the premises is not applicable in all variants. suitable for living spaces. In situations where increased corner protection is required, a plastic corner is better.
You can learn more clearly about how to cut tiles at an angle from:
The main advantage of this tile cutter is a clear and high-quality cut on the tile, which is carried out in two directions: an ordinary straight cut and a special cut at an angle of 45 degrees. Thanks to the turning of the cutting wheel at a certain angle to the cut-off part of the tile, it is easy to make a cut, starting from 0 to 45 degrees. The electric machine can have a water supply function, due to which less dust is emitted, or it can have a conventional design. However, both versions of devices provide the same quality of work and guarantee a large volume of tiles was washed down in a short time.
- Special masking tape;
- Simple pencil;
- Small ruler;
- Tile-cutting machine;
- variable speed angle grinder.
On the part of the tile where the cut will take place, you need to stick masking tape. Make the necessary markings with a pencil and a ruler. Then place the tile on a specific area of the device at a 45 degree angle. On the principle of a circular saw, tiles are cut with a diamond band. In some models, water is supplied during the cut, which protects the tiles from melting and washes away dust.
In case of damage to the glaze of the outer part of the tile, the cut will turn out to be ugly with the presence of cracks and chipped edges, which, when laid to each other, will have a sloppy appearance. Therefore, when working with an electric tile cutter, you need to carefully remove only the clay layer.
Professional Secrets of Experienced Tilers:
- With the help of a tile cutter, it is necessary to achieve an even cut;
- Then form the required angle on the back of the product;
- Glaze, which was touched in the working process, is rubbed with sandpaper.
Manual tile cutter
The manual tile cutter is popular not only among professional tilers, but also among hobbyists. Many models of such tile cutters are equipped with a special rotary base and a built-in ruler, which allow you to make a high-quality cut of tiles at 45 degrees. After inserting the tile into the tile cutter at a certain degree, it is necessary to align the mark on the tile and on the construction tool. Having lowered the handle down, you need to move it in a direction away from you with slow movements at the same speed and even pressing.
Slicing without special tools
It is not necessary to grind the tile using special devices. At home, you can easily hand-wash the tiles at 45 degrees. To do this, proceed as follows:
- On the outside of the tile (glaze), a line is drawn with a glass cutter;
- Using an angle grinder, a small V-shaped groove is formed on the back of the tile, which is positioned across the width of the entire tile;
- Then you need to gently break the bend of the cut and process it with sandpaper.
To make a high-quality and even cut without chips and cracks is possible only with the help of special devices, each of which has its own advantages.
Despite the fact that such a building device is present in almost every home, it is very difficult to cut tiles independently at a 45-degree angle with an angle grinder.
For a quick and even cut of the tile, it is necessary to install a diamond wheel on the device. In this case, the tile should be placed under the rib with the outer side to the bottom. Now the angle grinder needs to grind off the back of the ceramic tile at an angle of 45 degrees.
From the first time, it will not work to make an even and clean cut. Therefore, after the corner has been formed, it is necessary to repeat the process and walk with a diamond wheel of the angle grinder along the cut edge. Only in this way will the angle become even.
To form a corner on a tile, it is necessary to choose the right angle grinder, since not all models can perform the necessary functions. In this case, it is worth purchasing a construction tool from which you can adjust the speed.
How to cut a tile at 45 degrees?
The presence of corners or bulges on the wall, different ways of laying tiles, as well as non-standard room dimensions play a huge role in the cladding workflow, causing additional difficulties. Therefore, you often have to deal with the need to grind tiles.
Outside straight corners, which are filed at 45 degrees, form a neat right angle with a smooth transition, so there is no need to resort to using overhead aluminum or plastic corners. However, for the cuts to be accurate and in line with other parts of the tile, special tools must be used.
How to form an acute angle correctly?
The next step after the process of cutting the tiles to a degree of a certain angle is its worthy use, as well as the organization of a right angle. To do this, the following points must be observed:
- With the help of a special building level, it is necessary to evenly glue the first part of the tile. Its trimmed edge should slightly protrude beyond the base of the right angle;
- The second tile should be glued opposite in the same way, the fixing period of the glue allows you to move and adjust the touching tiles in order to achieve a tight contact.
Before you start facing the corner, you should check the vertical consistency of the wall. Even with the lowest elevation differences, the angle at the top may not converge and turn out to be even. It will be impossible to disguise or repair this flaw in the future.
The scope of use of a sawn-off tile at an angle of forty-five degrees has certain limitations. As a result of the cut clay on the back side, the narrowed edges of the tile become thin and brittle, so they can easily break off.
When grouting tiles, it must be remembered that only clay can be cut, not reaching the glaze 0.5-1 mm. In this case, the corner of the tile will turn out beautiful and smooth, without damage or chipping.
Modern capabilities and the skill of specialists allow you to cut tiles at 45 degrees not only from the edge, but also in the middle of the product. To do this, the tiles must be measured and cut in accordance with the required size, and then cut at 45 degrees. To get a high-quality result, you should close the cut edge with sandpaper.
What is it for?
Basically, the corner edge of the tile is washed down at 45 degrees in the following cases:
- To match the inner and outer corners of a rectangular tile when they are joined during installation;
- For the formation of a beautiful beveled edge;
- With a diagonal tile layout.
How to properly trim tiles at 45 degrees?
In order for the corner of two tiles to look beautiful, when trimming the tile, you need to slightly go to the glaze (0.5-1mm). That is, only clay is cut. If you walk over the glaze (the front of the tile), it will be “torn” and chipped. It will immediately catch your eye, it is not beautiful.
We are faced with such a problem about cutting corrugated tiles. But more on that later.
Surely many of you have seen such “art”, but more often than not everyone thinks that it should be so. And the tile-maker with twenty years of experience assures that it cannot be otherwise.
Even if there is a need to cut the corner of the tile not from the “factory” edge and you have to cut the glaze, there is still a way to do it beautifully.
First, to do this, you first need to cut the tiles exactly (to the desired size), and then, again, before reaching the glaze, cut it at 45 °. This cut will be much cleaner and more beautiful.
You can also process the edge of the glaze with fine sandpaper, this will make it even smoother.
Secondly, you can still cut off the corner from the beautiful edge (factory end), and sand the trimmed opposite edge with sandpaper and hide it in the other direction. It will be less conspicuous.
So, for example, we once did when facing a toilet installation. Because the beautiful corner is more important than the bottom seam. over, it turned out to be also very neat, and if you do not know that it is cropped, you will never pay attention to it.
Electric tile cutter
Electric tile cutter, or as it is also called by tilers. wet cutter. It has a water-cooled disk, and the same water extinguishes all possible dust. The tile cutter cuts along one clear, fixed path and minimizes human error such as hand shake, etc.
The tile cutter has two working positions. a straight cut and a 45 ° cut (in fact, you can set any angle from 0 to 45 °, but this most often does not make sense).
The easiest way is an angle grinder
an angle grinder is more difficult to achieve a high-quality result, but, in principle, it is also possible. This is the easiest way to sharpen a 45 degree tile corner with your own hands at home.
The process of grinding and grinding porcelain stoneware below.
First of all, you must have a good diamond disc for tiles.
Place the tile on the edge (perpendicular to the one that is being trimmed) and grind the back part (clay) at an angle of 45 degrees.
If it turns out a little uneven, then large rough irregularities can be passed again with a disc, and in order to get a cleaner and smoother edge, you can use this (pictured below) grinding attachment with sandpaper or diamond “turtles”.
Velcro emery discs, worn out. removed and attached a new one. The base itself with Velcro is screwed onto the thread of an angle grinder. Diamond tips have a much longer resource, but they also cost many times more. If you are constantly laying tiles, then it makes sense to take diamond turtles. If you are doing the first and last repairs in your life, then it is quite possible to do with emery wheels.
When working with such a thing, you need an angle grinder with adjustable revolutions (revolutions to a minimum!) Otherwise the edge of the tile will melt and burn, and not grind.
You can buy excellent “turtles” here!
How and what to cut tiles at 45 degrees. Tile burr
In order to beautifully revet any right outer corner with ceramic tiles (porcelain stoneware, mosaic), the end of the tile is cut at an angle of 45 ° and a neat right angle is formed from the two tiles.
A plastic corner is no longer fashionable, not interesting and not beautiful.
All the more it will not be beautiful if you just attach one tile to the end of the other. But this is also very common.
How to veneer and form a right angle?
First you need to glue the first tile and set it in level. The trimmed edge will “fly out” beyond the plane of the wall.
Then immediately you need to glue the second (reciprocal) tile on the other side of the corner. While the glue is fresh and amenable to adjustment, you need to form a beautiful right angle.
And so we gradually move up, row by row.
An important point!
Before tiling the corner, make sure that your walls are vertical.
Because if the walls are at least a little overwhelmed outward, then the corner will no longer converge without steps. And this is not very beautiful, believe me! And you won’t cover it up with anything or make up.
How to trim (sharpen) tiles at an angle of 45 degrees?
Everyone calls this action differently: washed down, sharpening, trimming, burr, Kremlin corner. the meaning is the same.
For high-quality trimming of the tile end at 45 degrees, you will need an electric tile cutter (tile cutting machine) or, in extreme cases, an angle grinder (angle grinder) with a disc on the tile.
Where a 45 ° chiseled angle cannot be used?
An angle of this type becomes quite fragile due to the thinned (narrowed) edge of the tile, so it is undesirable to use it when facing steps. In the place of the greatest traffic, the tile will surely beat off, the corner will be chipped. it’s only a matter of time.
The steps are laid with an overlap of the top tile on the end tile (on the riser) or using aluminum corners / profiles.
And in general, before making such corners, think carefully about everything. If there is a big threat of hitting and knocking down this corner, then most likely this is not your option. In this case, you can try using an aluminum corner (but not plastic).
Tiles are cut with a glass cutter in a similar way to cutting glass. To do this, lay the material on a horizontal surface, make the mark an erasable element (pencil, marker) on a glossy surface.
In order for the cut to be correct, you should use the corners. This will provide a more accurate result. The product must be applied to the tile and the tools must be held from the far side to the near one, once. In this case, try to distribute the effort evenly.
As a result, you should get a fishing line with a depression. Then we lay the tiles on a table or chair. It is important that this is one plane. Indeed, sometimes there is a protective strip on the furniture at the end, which can protrude above the plane of the table or chair. As a result, the tile will be unstable. It is worth considering.
So, we move the product so that the cutting line falls on the edge of the furniture. After that, we press the tile to the table or chair, and with the other hand we press on the other hanging side. If the edge is not flat enough, it can be corrected with sandpaper.
If you need to bevel the edge, then the glass cutter will not help. It is better to use either the same sandpaper or a file.
What is it for?
You may need to cut a tile at 45 degrees in two cases:
- When, for example, a diagonal layout is implemented. Accordingly, the products themselves will have to be cut diagonally, at 45 degrees.
- When the outer or inner corner meets. And the bevel is needed for the edge so that a beautiful and even corner is formed, without plastic and other corners.
Since the goals are defined, you can move on to the base. how to cut the tile at 45 degrees.
Now let’s get acquainted with the instructions with a photo of how to use an electric or manual tile cutter. It allows you to do this with a normal perpendicular line or diagonally, as we need. The tool is pretty easy to use.
And first, let’s figure out the design of the tile cutter. It looks like a base with fixed runners that play the role of guides for moving the roller. First, markings are applied to the tile, then it is laid on the base. And then you need to try on the roller and use the handle to cut along the mowing line. It is also important here to perform the operation once. Therefore, the condition of the must be satisfactory. Otherwise, either the cut will not work the first time, or it will be of poor quality.
But the cut is not all. The product should be broken qualitatively. For this, there is a tubercle in the structure. This lip helps to make a break along the cut line.
We have described the procedure for working with a manual tile cutter. But what about the electrical analogue? Working with him is inherently no different, but requires more professional skills.
This tool is especially effective when cutting large volumes of tiles. The peculiarity of the electric tile cutter is that it allows you to make a high-quality cut with a slope, which is what we need.
Perhaps the simplest tool. At the same time, it is also lightweight and affordable.
The quality of material processing directly affects the quality of the cladding. You can use the following tool to cut tiles:
- Glass cutter;
- Tile cutter (electric and manual);
- Angle Grinder.
Such tools allow not only making a 45-degree cut, but also performing more complex manipulations. Let’s consider the possibility of using each in more detail.
Such a tool allows clear and easy cutting of tiles. In this case, you can also make a bevel at 45 degrees. The only thing is to use a new diamond disc and cut from the back. In this case, the tool can be equipped with a cooling system.
Bevel if necessary. Then it is best to do this together, or, if possible, fix the angle grinder, and slide the tiles along the disc. This will allow better beveling of the edge.
How to properly cut tiles at a 45 degree angle
Tile is still in many cases the optimal material for interior decoration, especially in the kitchen or bathroom. And therefore, many are interested in the styling procedure and everything connected with it. For example, it is difficult to cut tiles at 45 degrees. Therefore, it is worth considering this issue in order to understand it in more detail.
So, there will be an instruction with photos and materials, but we will start with a little explanation.
Let’s sum up
To date, several options have been invented on how to cut tiles at 45 degrees.
All of these tools allow you to get a quality cut that will allow you to create a decent surface finish. This means that there are all the prerequisites to make the interior to the highest standards.
How and how to cut tiles at home
The question of how to cut tiles arises not only among professional tilers, but also among ordinary people who are going to do the finishing work at home with their own hands. Today, several types of tools for cutting tiles are produced, differing in the method of performing the operation, the quality of the cut that they give, the price.
In order to choose a device consciously, not to be mistaken either in the price, or in the convenience of use, or in the quality of the resulting tile seam, you need to get acquainted with the features and capabilities of each type of cutting tool.
Cramogranite must be fixed with clamps on a reliable, not shaky base
The cut lines are marked with a marker on the surface. If an internal cutout is made in the tile, then a small hole is pre-drilled into which the file is inserted. Then, inside, a curvilinear cut is made along the intended mowing line.
The marking process is standard. a line is marked on the upper surface along which it is supposed to make a cut.
You can mark the cutting line of the cut directly on the machine, where there is a system of rulers, transported with clear and precise divisions. Therefore, the tiles are immediately laid on the machine.
Turn on the tile cutter and make sure there is water around the cutting blade. Then move the tile to the cutting disc in the required place and push the tile through the disc to cut.
Electric tile cutter. a tool for professionals
An electric tile cutter belongs to the class of professional equipment, therefore it is expensive. Its purchase justifies itself if the master is professionally engaged in finishing work on laying tiles. The electric cutter is a full-fledged machine on which you can cut any non-metallic material: ceramic tiles, porcelain stoneware, natural stone, concrete, porcelain.
The machine performs a large number of operations: straight cuts, cuts diagonally, saws at any angle, makes chamfers up to 45 degrees, notches, grooves, technological cuts. the cutting line turns out to be perfectly flat, smooth, without chips. The electric machine does not make curved cuts.
The design of the electric cutter is complex: there is a bed, an electric block with a diamond-coated carbide disc, a fixing system, a water pan. There are two kinds of electric tile cutter models.
The most common are models in which the disk is fixed at the bottom of the case and comes out halfway from the base. The other half is at the bottom and is constantly in contact with the water poured into the pan. In electric tile cutters of this type, the cutting disc is rigidly fixed, and to make the cut, you need to move the tile.
Under-disc electric tile cutter.
Less common are glass cutters in which the disc is located on top of a special guide and moves along the working surface on which the tile lies. Water in these models is supplied directly to the cutting disc.
Top Disc Electric Tile Cutter.
Let’s consider step by step how to make tile cuts with an electric tile cutter:
Manual tile cutter. traditional tool
The manual tile cutter offers more comfort and ease of use than a glass cutter, as it is specially designed for cutting ceramic tiles and porcelain stoneware. It is a bed with guides along which the carriage moves with a cutting roller and a lever. Models differ in design: available with two guides and monorail.
Single rail tile cutter.
Tile cutter with two guides.
The manual tile cutter can handle all types of ceramics and porcelain stoneware, regardless of the thickness of the material. it can cut wall and floor tiles up to 40 mm thick. A tile cutter makes straight cuts, at an angle, diagonally. Curved cuts are not performed.
The equipment of specific models is individual: a protractor, a ruler, a device for drilling holes (ballerina) can be built into them. It is necessary to choose a model according to the size of the tile material: the width of the table of the tile cutter is from 30 to 70 cm, the tile should be placed on the table along the length with a margin. The cost of a specific model of manual tile cutter depends on the number of functions that it can perform.
Let’s consider step by step how to cut a tile with a manual tile cutter:
To fix the tile, hold the tile with your left hand, attaching a ruler or a flat strip to the cutter line as a stop so that the roller does not slide off the smooth tile surface.