How to Dilute Gasoline with Chainsaw Oil
Oil and how to dilute it with gasoline for chainsaws
chain saw requires engine oil for uninterrupted chainsaw operation. The engine oil is responsible for stable operation of the garden tool motor at higher rpm, fuel consumption and emissions of chain saw processed gases. The correct oil will substantially prolong the life of the important components of the chainsaw and make it work more effectively and efficiently on the site.
The lubrication of the engine components can only ensure proper operation of the factory mechanism if it meets certain requirements.
- ability to lubricate parts. the composition must create a uniform oily film that will penetrate into the smallest grooves of the engine, as well as prevent friction of internal combustion engine components and the effects of high temperatures on them;
- smoke formation. quality lubricant must not smoke. If black smoke comes out of the chainsaw’s muffler, it means the engine lubricant needs to be replaced;
- absence of fouling. during operation the oil should not form fouling, which, deposited on the walls and the carburetor and muffler, reduces their performance and life;
- Washing properties. at the same time as keeping the engine running, the chainsaw engine oil must clean the walls and parts of the engine from accumulations of tar and dirt;
- The ability to work at extremely low and high temperatures. a quality product for engine parts lubrication must not freeze in the cold or boil under direct sunlight. It is best to choose compounds that are able to work in the range of.20 to 40 ⁰C;
- The ability to protect against corrosion. when the chainsaw is used in conditions of high humidity, condensation inevitably seeps inside the engine, which provokes the formation of rust. An engine oil should protect internal combustion engine parts from rust. For this purpose it must contain the appropriate additives.
The type of engine oil plays an important role in your own choice of lubricant. Most often you can find mineral and synthetic oils on sale. The first type has a less balanced composition. Lacking most of the useful additives. Synthetic oil is more popular, because it protects engine parts from wear, corrosion, and fouling more reliably. That is why synthetic oil is more expensive than mineral oil.
There are a number of oils that are popular among both ordinary users and experienced woodcutters.
- STIHL HP lubricant is a high-temperature stability and reliable engine protection in all weather conditions. The oil resists corrosion well and has little or no smoke. The product contains all the necessary additives for engine operation, including components that prevent the formation of carbon deposits;
- STIHL HP Ultra is a high-performance lubricant. The product has excellent lubricating properties, good resistance to wear and corrosion. It contains ash-free additives to ensure that the carburetor and muffler are free of soot;
- Husqvarna HP. agents of this brand are distinguished by the presence in their composition of additives designed to compensate for the poor quality of gasoline used. Lubricant is made on a semi-synthetic basis and is highly resistant to corrosion.
When choosing oil for a 2-stroke chainsaw engine, it is very important to learn its shelf life beforehand. Remember that high-quality lubricant does not last more than five years, even if it is kept in a sealed container. That is why it is better to buy products with a shelf life of 2-4 years.
What kind of gasoline to put in a chainsaw??
Gasoline is just as important as the engine oil you use. The quality of the fuel largely depends on the traction of the engine and the speed of its operation in different modes. In addition, it is the gasoline that affects the coherence of the ignition system elements of the garden tool.
Different chainsaws should be filled with different octane values of gasoline. Some equipment manufacturers advise to use AI-80 gasoline for refueling, others. brands that produce newer gasoline saws, recommend preparing a fuel mixture based on 92-gasoline.
In any case the only thing that is required from the owner of a chainsaw is not to experiment with the octane number of fuel. If the manufacturer advises to fill up the fuel tank of a chainsaw only with 92-i gasoline, then that is what you need to pour. Otherwise the owner of the saw risks damaging the cylinder-piston group of the engine and violating the factory settings of the carburetor.
Choosing the Right Mineral Oil
Before you dilute the gasoline in the oil, you need to choose the right raw material. It will not only ease the process of its work, but also increase engine life.
First, it should be emphasized that almost every model of gasoline saws is armed with a carburetor 2-stroke engine. There are two separate containers in their design. For gasoline and oil. Domestic appliances require the use of ordinary oil consistencies that are used to fuel bikes. At the same time, devices of zabugornaya brand require the use of only branded oil for chainsaws. If Russian manufacturer’s greases were used for this equipment, its performance will decrease and its life will be shorter.
If we talk about what gasoline pour in a chainsaw, it is good to use fuel with an octane level of A-95. As for oil, it is better to use a branded product.
Usually users of machinery dilute gasoline with a chainsaw engine or transmission oil product. Any brand has personal properties that can be studied in the added annotation. For example, the 1-st version is used as fuel for tools Husqvarna
, and STIHL saws are only fueled by the box.
Engine manufacturers recommend the use of high-octane gasoline brands AI-92, 95. It is not permitted to use fuel with various octane improver additives. During this time, it may undergo tarring and polymerization, which adversely affects the operation of the engine.
We do not recommend the use of gasoline that has been stored for more than 60 days
Most chain saw engines are designed to use leaded gasoline. If you have purchased this machine with a catalytic converter (the fuel filler cap will be green), we recommend unleaded gasoline.
Important: Do not skimp and use gasoline below 90 octane. It is also not recommended to use gasoline with an octane rating higher than 95. This leads to premature wear of the engine piston group.
Air-cooled two-stroke motors are not designed with a separate lubrication system. Lubricates moving parts with the oil in the fuel mixture. That is why it is essential to use only quality oils from proven manufacturers.
Recommended oils for chain saw lubrication:
- STIHL HP. developed especially for chain saw engines. proven in all weather conditions, ensures perfect engine performance.
- Husqvarna HP. oil from renowned manufacturer of gardening equipment. Special additives reduce fouling of the engine crankcase, which can be caused by low-quality fuel.
- Oleo-Mac Prosint 2T. multifunctional oil with synthetic esters. Protects engine parts from corrosion, reduces wear on machinery and parts.
- Champion JASO FD is a quality oil from a well known company. Provides good protection for all moving engine parts;
- Vitals Semisynthetic is a multigrade oil for low-cost chain saw models, suitable for use at temperatures starting20 to 40C 0.
Important: Do not use mineral, semi-synthetic or synthetic automotive oils. They are designed for a different type of engine and do not have the necessary properties.
The consequences of wrong dosage
Many chainsaw users don’t pay enough attention to the proportion. 50 grams more or less. who cares?? And in vain: often the cause of chain saw malfunctions is the use of an improperly mixed fuel. It is possible to make a mistake or deliberately breach the ratio upwards as well as downwards.
If there is a lot of oil.
There is an opinion among chainsaw owners that “you can’t spoil the engine with oil”. But it is not for nothing that they devise the necessary parameters of the ready mixture. Too much oil can also cause harm and inconvenience. After all, despite the improved combustion without residue, some of the hydrocarbons still turn into soot and soot. If their concentration is low, they are not much, but if you enrich the mixture with oil twice as much against the norm, you get coking. It is especially dangerous for cheap mineral oils, which have no “flushing” effect.
Also with a high degree of probability you will find oil in the air filter if the carburetor is overfilled. The spark plug will also be soiled and need to be cleaned, rinsed and dried. Also the vapors of unburned oil will be deposited in the muffler and will burn off during intensive work, creating a plume of soot and sparks.
After such refueling almost all the insides of the saw will have to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed. The most cheerful “surprise” will be “dying” of piston rings. but that is in case of systematic abuse of oil overflow and operation under high load.
“Greedy” cooking of the fuel mixture has ruined more than one piston. That’s where it’s really better to be overdone than underdone. After all, if in the first case you are threatened with a thorough “washing” of the machine, in the second case you will have to change the cylinder head, and this is unprofitable for many saws, and for others costs quite a lot of money.
Conclusion: economy is senseless. In the absence of sufficient oil, the piston begins to rub heavily on the cylinder, because at high temperatures gasoline is too fluid to perform the function of lubrication.
Tragic results: Scored piston, ruined saw engine. In the case that the owner has come to his senses in time, he will find that the piston and the cylinder have a beautiful blue color. No mechanic can guarantee how long they will last.
Even a chainsaw owner who observes the proportion to a gram can do harm to his tool if he is using low-quality or inappropriate components. The use of special liquids is the general recommendation.
Two words about the oil.
Oil for two-stroke engines is mainly produced for gasoline-powered household tools. It is always colored in some bright color. blue, green, red, pink. This is done so that when you add it to the gasoline, it becomes clear that it is a ready mix that can already be poured into the gas tank. The big manufactures, like STIHL, have several kinds of oil which are differentiated by color.
If you have a chainsaw for which this oil is recommended, if you are a beginner, follow this recommendation. Only by trial and error experienced “sawyers” find the oil that suits them the best.
Don’t put car engine oil in a two-stroke engine! The Internet is full of those who say “I’ve been using it and it’s been good” but believe me: they haven’t even shown the mechanic the piston of their tool yet. And the smoke from the muffler is unlikely to please you.
and about gasoline
To say that in oil-producing and refining Russia gasoline is mostly of bad quality is to repeat the obvious. You can “get” in a bad fuel is possible not only at anonymous gas stations, but also at large gas stations with a big name. High-quality gasoline is very important in modern high-tech chainsaws. it allows them to work with maximum efficiency and minimum wear. Nowadays it is common requirement to use gasoline with octane number not less than 92. It has optimum values for chain saws.
In old soviet machines you could fill up with 76th gasoline. Do not do it today even with cheap Chinese saws. you will only speed up their “death”. It is also not recommended to run to the other extreme. to pour the 95th or even 98th into an expensive tool, thinking that it will be better for him.
We recommend pouring into the two-stroke engines the 92nd gasoline, bought in the checked up places, in the quality of which you have no doubts.
Customers come in and ask: the better the gasoline, the better the saw? Why not pour the 95th then? In fact more advanced cars only need it.
The answer is that most Russian gasoline 95 is the same as 92, but with detonation reducing additives. The chainsaw does not care about that parameter, it needs the purest possible gasoline, because gasoline additives are absolutely unnecessary. That is why the logic is simple: better a pure 92 than a more expensive 95, but with unnecessary additives.
Is it possible to fill a chain saw with the 95th petrol??
This question is most faced by chainsaw beginners. Quite often they buy the 95th gasoline instead of the 92nd, recommended by the producer, thinking that the higher octane number the better is the quality of fuel.
But in fact it is not. The fact that the fuel of the 95th brand in its quality is sometimes not only not superior, but also significantly inferior to the 92nd gasoline. This is due to the fact that the composition of fuel grade AI-95 is often enough “caught up” by adding various additives designed to increase the octane number of gasoline.
For this reason it is best to only use AI-92 gasoline to fill up the chain saw. This will prevent serious damage to the chain saw’s mechanisms and will improve the chain saw’s performance in difficult working conditions.
Assembling a chainsaw using the Fubag FPS 56 as an example
The popular FUBAG FPS 56 chain saw with a 2 stroke engine helps to describe the basic steps involved in assembling a tool.5 kW.
Like most chain saws it comes disassembled: body, guide bar and saw headset separately. In addition to the main parts, the package includes a tool kit, fuel tank, guide bar cover, sprocket, file for sharpening the chain and safety goggles.
Everything is clear with the kit. let’s move on to the assembly: 1. Slide the chain guard toward the front handle to make sure the chain brake is engaged.
Loosen the nuts and remove the chain guard.
Fit the cutting link (included with the FUBAG FPS 56 chain saw).
Turn the chain on the chainwheel, and at the same time set the bar on the body of the saw.
Check that the direction of rotation of the saw chain is correct.
Put the chain guard on the main body of the saw and hand-tighten the nuts.
Adjust the chain tension by turning the tensioning screw until the connecting link touches the underside of the guide bar.
Lift the end of the bar and finally tighten the nuts.
Check manually that the chain rotates evenly and that the saw has sufficient tension.
If your chainsaw is equipped with the gasoline tool tensioning system, like the FPS 37, this does not take more than a minute. To do this, you need to:
Position bar and chain on chainsaw pins in the correct direction (cutting teeth must point in the direction of rotation).2. Install the cover. Adjust the position of the guide bar cover to the correct position. place the pins on it so that they fit into the holes in the guide bar.3. Pull out the screw stop and tighten a little so that the bar and chain do not wobble, but, there is some freedom to adjust the chain tension.4. Adjust chain tension by turning the wheel.
Pull out the stop and tighten the cover, making sure that the equipment is properly secured.
Do not pull the chain as far as it will soon be stretched out again. The chain should have some slack in it. It’s not hard to check by hand. It’s ideal if it lends itself to a millimeter of pulling away from the guide bar.
Step-by-step instructions for priming
If you want to put gasoline in the saw, it’s a simple procedure:
- Prepare fuel in the recommended proportion of gasoline and oil for two-stroke chainsaws.
- Prepare the saw for loading by cleaning sawdust and shavings from the surface of the saw.
- Place the saw on a flat, stable stand with the gasoline canister up.
- Carefully place a small funnel (plastic or metal, resistant to fuels and lubricants, you can easily buy a suitable one in a car supply store) into the open throat of the tank
- Carefully pour fuel into the tank without overflowing. Do not pour under the cap. it will cause spilling when the cap is screwed on!
- Close the cap on the fuel tank
- Change the chain lubricant (must)!)
- Try to start the engine at idle rpm.
After a long period of non-use it is necessary to drain the fuel mixture from the tank. Do not use it. as gasoline loses its properties rather quickly in such a mixture. The consequence will be unstable operation and risk of breakdown.
What gasoline to fill in a chainsaw?
According to experts, unleaded gasoline with lead-free additives and an octane rating over 90 should be used. Foreign models require higher brands of gasoline and branded oils from the tool manufacturer. The perfect fuel is AI-92. How to thin the gasoline for your STIHL 180 chain saw? In this case, oils in a 1:40 mixture are implied. It is quite suitable for it and fuel AI-95, but according to professionals it is better not to use it for chainsaws.
The thing is that it is made on the basis of AI-92 with the use of certain additives, which change the quality of the fuel. These components are deposited on the inner parts of the tool and when they reach a critical mass, they begin to flake off, disrupting the operation of the mechanism. The best option is to follow the instructions that come with the chosen model. It is recommended to use fresh gasoline, because the octane properties are lost with prolonged storage in tanks.
The dosage of oil in the Chinese version
Many chainsaws made in China are simplified copies of popular European models. Lack of special materials and proprietary technology contributes to the preservation of the outdated ratio of gasoline and oil in the ratio of 25:1.
Twice as much engine oil consumption is compensated by its lower cost. On assurance of the developers the Chinese oils contain original components which improve durability of power units and increase their original life time.
According to the conclusion of independent experts the best Chinese brands of engine lubricants correspond in quality to mid-priced European counterparts. This is the level of branded motor oils of the Standard group and partially. Super.
Beware of counterfeit!
Small private companies from China and other Asian countries specialize in production of motor oils that are sold at lower cost in the markets under the brand name of the leading producers.
- The characteristics of counterfeit products are much lower than the branded originals. Continuous use of counterfeit products will impair the performance and durability of the chainsaw.
- Only an experienced technician can determine the status and quality of the oil, so you can avoid possible risks by buying consumables from a network of branded and licensed retailers.
- The use of substandard lubricants by service technicians is legal grounds for voiding the warranty for the owner of the faulty saw.
Oil to Gasoline Ratio or How to Remember the Proportion
The most correct proportion of gasoline to oil connection is the value specified by the manufacturer.
If you bought a chainsaw, then do not be lazy to open the manual, and find the recommendation from the manufacturer. how much oil per liter of gasoline to mix into the chainsaw. These recommendations can be found in the machine’s technical documentation. However, many people often lose the instructions, so they have to ask for help from acquaintances or the Internet.
If you don’t know how much oil to add to gasoline when making fuel, then you should use universal data. Such data provide for the following ratio. 1 to 50 or 1 to 40.
What does it mean?? Let’s understand this in detail.
The ratio 1:50 says that 20 ml of oil should be added to 1 liter of petrol. The ratio 1 to 40 is characterized by the use of 25 ml of oil per 1 liter of gasoline. Why two universal values are indicated? It depends on the time of year, so if the tool is used in summer, 20 ml of oil per 1 liter of gasoline is added, and if in winter, 25 ml. It is easy to remember this ratio, for which you can use a marker to draw the designations on the plastic body of the tool. Below is a table of ratios of oil to gasoline for chain saws. Ratios of 1 to 35, 1 to 30 and 1 to 25 are appropriate for high power units.
How to dilute oil for a chainsaw. tips of masters
5 / 5 ( 2 votes )
In this publication we will explain in detail how to properly dilute oil for a chainsaw, grass trimmer or any two-stroke engine. What oil is better to dilute petrol with, what proportion to keep, and what an incorrect dosage can lead to. you will find answers to all these questions here.
Oil, or as it is also called an additive, is the most important component of the fuel mixture for a chainsaw. During two-stroke operation, oil molecules settle on the engine (cylinder walls, crankshaft, connecting rod) and create a sliding protective film. Thus the physical contact of the rubbing parts is considerably reduced.
- Adjusting the oil to petrol ratio
- What’s the best oil to use?
- How to easily dilute the additive with gasoline
- How to store diluted gasoline mixture
- The consequences and signs of wrong oil ratio
- Can you mix different colors of oil
- Conclusion and Комментарии и мнения владельцев
- Chinese-made chainsaws. is it worth buying (for the inexperienced user)
- Choosing the right chainsaw guide bar and chain for your chainsaw. Size chart
Proportion of oil and gasoline for a chainsaw
Many users simply forget in what proportion it is required to dilute oil with gasoline for a modern chainsaw or grass trimmer. Nothing shameful here, as most ask this question literally a few times a year. This information can easily be found in the instruction manual to the equipment, but there is not so simple. For example, Chinese manufacturers often confuse us and prescribe a 1:20 or 1:25 ratio in the data sheet. This ratio is dangerous for the mechanism, as we will tell you a little further.
The correct proportion:
for our conditions (current market oil brands and gasoline quality) it’s only 1:50 (rarely 1:40). In other words, 1 gram of oil per 50 ml of gasoline.
|amount of AI-92 gasoline, l||Amount of 2T oil, ml|
|1:50 ratio||1:40 proportion|
|0,5||10 ml||12.5 ml|
|1||20 ml||25 ml|
|1,5||30 ml||37.5 ml|
|2||40 ml||50 ml|
|5||100 ml||125 ml|
|10||200 ml||250 ml|
Only Ai-92 gasoline is used
No 95-th, which in fact is the same as 92-th, only with a bunch of additives, extremely harmful for the two-stroke engine (as these additives dampen the correct detonation of the mechanism).
Important: In some cases it is allowed to add a little more 2-stroke oil than usual (not 20 grams per liter, but 22-25 grams). For example, during the break-in period after the piston group repair or when using cheap Chinese oil.
What is the best oil to dilute gasoline for a chainsaw?
It’s no secret that every chainsaw manufacturer recommends using a two-stroke additive of its own production. But it’s not all so clear-cut. If you buy an inexpensive Chinese chainsaw, it is certainly not unreasonable to dilute the oil of famous and tested brands for it. So what’s the best oil to dilute your gasoline with??. there is no one right answer and it is affected by a number of factors:
- During warranty. Most big-name manufacturers recommend to use only their own oil. In case of a warranty case, if the service will find out that you have filled other oil brand, they have the full right to refuse the free service.
- Checked brands. STIHL, Echo, Husqvarna. well-known and trusted brands. It is the best on the market. Using company two-stroke oil you can not worry about your equipment at all.
- Cheap oil (Russian or Chinese). Champion, Rezer, Krotof, Patriot and many others. It can be used quite well, in some cases, slightly increasing the proportion of oil in the mixture. It is worth to choose carefully. read reviews, ask around. For example, two-stroke oil “Gazprom” has not impressed our service at all. in 2-3 days after dilution with gasoline it starts to lose its properties.
- Beware of counterfeit. STIHL oil is mostly counterfeited. Similar products can be found at collective farmers’ markets or at gypsies. Try to buy 2T oil in specialized stores from authorized dealers.
- No 2-stroke oil for boat engines. It is not suitable for chainsaws and trimmers, t.к. Designed for a water-cooled system, not an air-cooled one.
How to dilute the additive with gasoline easily
To dilute two-stroke oil with gasoline “by eye” is possible only for experienced users who can accurately determine the proportion with an experienced eye. But even they are often wrong in this case. Here are a few options on how to properly and quickly dilute the gasoline mixture:
- Syringe and a small container. relevant for those who rarely use a chainsaw or trimmer. It is better to buy a 20-gallon syringe from any drugstore.
- The pre-packaged oil dispenser is a little bit more expensive than a regular bottle but very convenient.
- A special canister, the kind preferred by professionals, who saw all day long and most likely with more than one chainsaw.
- The single package is in bottles and sachets of 20, 50 or 100 grams. In comparison with a big bottle it is not very profitable, but someone doesn’t want to bother with the proportion measuring.
How to prepare fuel mix for your chain saw
Gasoline must have octane number not less than АI92. It is possible to fill in AI95 as well, but its quality at our gas-filling stations leaves much to be desired, that is why if you are not sure in quality of 95-th it is better to take AI92 gasoline for preparing gasoline in a gasoline saw. Do not take gasoline which has stood in a can, tank or any other container for a long time. Gasoline for the preparation of the fuel mixture in a chainsaw must be fresh, otherwise it loses its properties, in particular the octane number and even if you start the chainsaw on such fuel, it will not give full power. And the saddest thing in this case is that the failure of the chainsaw because of low-quality fuel is considered a non-warranty case and leads to expensive repair. Sometimes it’s easier to buy a new chain saw than to have it repaired after such a failure!
Read more about chain saw gasoline here:
2-stroke engine oil according to the American Petroleum Institute (API) classification is API-TB, there are also API-TC oils, but they are designed to work with lower loads than most of our common chainsaws. If you take power class according to classification of Japan Automobile Standards Organization (JASO) then JASO-FB and JASO FD classes should be taken as a guide.Table 1 below.).Do not use four-stroke oil under any circumstances! Remember that in a two-stroke engine the oil must be completely combustible, and therefore it is better to use synthetic oil, because it produces less smoke and combustion residue. And if you put four-stroke oil in your chainsaw that doesn’t burn completely and you end up with carbon deposits, you will have a failed cylinder block. The best guide for chain saw oil is in the instruction manual.
When making a fuel mixture of gasoline and chain saw oil, be sure to look at the manufacturer’s recommendations. Why is it important to follow these recommended ratios?? With a small amount of oil in the gasoline will heat the cylinder and piston and respectively will cause scoring, and it is failure of the cylinder and cylinder gear and repair. If there is a lot of oil in the gasoline, however, it is fouling and will fail again.Each manufacturer has its own recommendations for proportions (see Table 2 below).Table 2 below). Try not to store the ready blend for more than one month. Do not store it in direct sunlight or in open air. Always keep clear of water and dust as this would damage the carburettor, as the fuel filter is often incapable of cleaning the fuel.
Since often come from search engines on queries like “how much oil to pour for 1,2,5 liters of gasoline,” then I add another table under which you can find out how much oil to add to gasoline according to the accepted proportions. For proportions see table 2 or more accurately see your chain saw Instruction Manual.
Of course you can use a canister, syringe, or measuring jug, but there are more convenient ways. The STIHL oil is available in two containers, one with and without dispenser. The price difference is not much, but the proportioning bottle makes the blending process much easier. There are also many different dispenser jerrycans with separate oil and petrol compartments. All of these components reduce the time it takes to get your chain saw up and running.
STIHL dispenser canister with oil and petrol compartments
The canister has two compartments for storing oil and gasoline separately. The gasoline can has a capacity of 5 liters, while the oil can has a capacity of 3 liters. Often many owners of gasoline tools with two-stroke engines in this canister carry oil in one compartment, and in the other already prepared fuel mixture.
Husqvarna oil canister with separate compartments for oil and fuel mixture.
Husqvarn jerrycans have a special feature: the oil canister can be separated from the main can and used separately.
How to dilute correctly?
The figures for the oil proportions are not given with such precision for nothing. That is, it does not say “take about this amount of oil”. It is impossible to follow the exact ratio by eye, so you have to use something that allows you to measure the exact amount of oil and gasoline.
Some inexpensive chainsaws usually come with a measuring jug with risks. As a rule, it has several scales for different proportions. Or one if the manufacturer implies that the oil can is to be used only with the saw it comes with. There should be two horizontal dots on this scale. The lower one shows how much gasoline to pour. The upper one is the level to which the mixture should reach after adding oil to the gasoline.
For more accurate measuring of oil, you can use a syringe of medicine. Preferably not less than 20 ml.
In general pour petrol in measuring container, add the required quantity of oil measured with a syringe and shake.
Always mix in a separate container, not directly in the gasoline tank. Otherwise oil may get into the carburettor before it is diluted with gasoline, making it difficult to start, up to the need to remove the carburettor and clean it.