How To Disassemble A Chuck From A Drill Video
How to disassemble a chuck from a drillHow to disassemble a chuck from a drill Main page »Articles» How to change a drill chuck on a drill: remove, install, disassemble from How to change a drill chuck on a drill: remove,
Drill chuck replacement and repair
How to change a part?
The threaded fastening of the cartridge to the gearbox shaft is carried out using a thread with a short pitch and additional control fixation with a screw with a reverse (left-hand thread) in the outer end of the shaft.
Since when switching speeds and modes, the chuck rotates in both directions, a rigid fixation of its working position is provided.
To do this, when assembling the tool, a sealant is additionally applied to all threaded joints, which, when dried, plays the role of an adhesive layer.
This should always be remembered when assembling and disassembling an electric drill. When repairing a cartridge, it is most advisable to use silicone-based sealants. This will allow for routine repairs with the least effort, and will also protect the metal from corrosion and oxidation when moisture gets in.
In order to disconnect the chuck from the rotary mechanism, you must:
- Open the cam clamps as far as possible inside the chuck to gain access to the test fixing screw.
- Unscrew the fastening screw. As a rule, the slots of this screw are cross-shaped. Therefore, a screwdriver of the correct configuration should be used. Often during operation, under the influence of centrifugal forces, this screw is tightened in the seat too much. Then you have to apply considerable effort to unscrew it from the socket.
You can use a mechanical impact screwdriver, but be very careful. In case of damage to the splines on the screw, removing the chuck will become much more difficult and you will have to change not only the chuck, but also the gearbox shaft. Among other things, such “jamming” indicates that during the previous assembly no sealant was used or it was not given time to dry out.
Using counterclockwise rotational movements, unscrew the chuck body from the thread of the working shaft. To do this, it is necessary to keep the shaft from rotating. This can be achieved in several ways:
- Hold the shaft with one hand using an adjustable wrench and unscrew the chuck with the other.
- Remove the gearbox cover and keep the gears from turning by hand.
Methods of fixing the working tool
All chucks clamp the tool between the jaws (jaws). The three cams approach each other evenly, the tool is fixed strictly along the axis of rotation. According to the method of fixing the drill, the chucks are divided into:
- Clamping. In them, the sponges are tightened with a special wrench;
The jaws of the chuck are tightened with a wrench
- Quick-clamping. The master spins the cartridge by hand;
Keyless chuck hand-tighten
Self-tightening. The chuck is equipped with a ratchet wheel that prevents the drill from spinning;
Self-locking ratchet chuck
Sds and SDS-max cartridges. The chucks have no jaws; the drill is inserted into a special slot and fixed. These chucks are developed by Bosch and are used in rotary hammers and high-power drills. The tool will never fall out of the holder.
The SDS chuck is used in heavy duty rotary hammers and drills
With a hammer
This disassembly method is very similar to the previous one, but not all users have a hammer drill, so you can use a hammer instead:
1. First, you need to “hide” the cams inward, spreading them to the required position.
2. Place the chuck vertically on a set bench vice until the body can pass between the jaws, and the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) rests against them.
3. Quickly warm up the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) with a construction hair dryer. Instead of a hair dryer, you can use a blowtorch.
4. Place the shock absorber in the form of a soft metal plate (aluminum or copper alloy) on top of the cartridge.
5. Knock the body out of the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) with a hammer blow.
6. After that, clean and lubricate the parts and assemble in the order indicated in the perforating method. In this case, you can reheat the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) using a hot air gun or blowtorch.
The disadvantage of this method is the increased “invasiveness” of parts.
Also, it is advisable to use heating only if absolutely necessary, when it is impossible to knock down the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) without this. After all, exposure to high temperatures can lead to a change in the structure of the metal, which will make the parts soft.
In order to disassemble the cartridge in the easiest, perforating, way, you must perform the following steps:
1. Spread the cams until they are completely hidden in the body.
2. Fasten a metal blunt insert of such a diameter in the hammer drill so that it fits freely into the threaded spindle hole of the chuck.
3. Support the cartridge on a massive surface, having previously substituted a shock-absorbing gasket (for example, in the form of a rubber plate several centimeters thick). As a stop, you can use a thick metal plate held by your free hand, table, workbench, floor.
4. Start the punch, and after two or three seconds the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) will be knocked off the chuck.
5. The cams can now be removed from the housing. Attention! Performing this operation, it is necessary to make the appropriate marks on the body and on the cams so that during assembly they fall into place. Otherwise the fixed drill will not be centered.
The disadvantage of this method: when the clip is knocked down, some parts may fly apart (for example, a ring with teeth; it usually consists of two halves), and an inexperienced user will add the hassle of collecting all the components together.
Having disassembled the cartridge, it is possible to clean it from dust, rust and dirt, as well as lubricate the parts.
The cartridge is assembled in the following sequence:
1. Extend the cams manually to maximum.
2. Place the two halves of the serrated ring in the corresponding groove in the body.
3. Holding the ring with your fingers, it is necessary to hide the cams inward, rotating the chuck body.
4. Put on the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) until it stops. This cannot be done completely. Must be pressed in with a hammer.
5. To do this, install the cartridge vertically on a special washer so that the sleeve (shirt, adjusting sleeve) rests against it, and the body can freely pass into the hole. Instead of a washer, you can use a bench vise with jaws diluted to the required size or a pipe cut of a suitable diameter.
6. Place a gasket in the form of a thick plate made of soft metal (aluminum or copper alloy) on the chuck from above, and press the body into the sleeve (jacket, adjusting sleeve) with hammer blows.That’s all. The chuck can be attached to the spindle and operated.
How to disassemble a drill cartridge with your own hands
Manufacturers of electric drills do not intend to disassemble the chuck, therefore, this information cannot be found in the operating instructions for the tool. But there may be cases when it is necessary to perform such manipulations. For example, for lubrication and cleaning of component parts, when the chuck has become tightly clamped, and it is necessary to apply great force to bring the cams together. This can happen due to its contamination with construction dust or rust after moisture ingress.
Seemingly non-separable, the cartridge can be divided into its component parts. The most common three-jaw assemblies of a household electric drill are of two types: key and quick-clamping.
Instructions: how to disassemble a drill chuck
The tools are popular in the countries of the former Soviet Union due to their good quality and inexpensive prices. The Russian manufacturer, which produces both a drill mixer and a screwdriver, distinguishes between impact and non-impact drills. Impact is distinguished by the presence of an additional function. Impact movement.
Depending on the model chosen, it varies:
- Electric motor power;
- Chuck diameter;
- Rotational speed.
The simplest and most efficient parsing method is as follows. You need to take a hammer drill, remove the boot from it, install the adapter and put the cartridge on it, which was previously removed from the drill, press the cartridge against the wall, not forgetting to lay a rubber shock absorber between them.
Next, we press against the wall and turn on the perforator in impact mode. That’s it, the cartridge is dismantled. We clean it from the garbage with which it was clogged. It is optimal to lubricate all the insides before assembly. An important point is not to confuse the jaws in the chuck, each jaw must be in its place.
Steps: how to remove the cartridge from the Interskol drill
Drill Interskol has several advantages. It is lightweight and easy to operate, when working at height, it is possible to hang it on a belt, thereby freeing your hands. You can change the number of revolutions.
First of all, it stands in the segment of the most inexpensive in comparison with such competitors as:
- Bosh (Bosch);
- Metabo and others.
There is a function of fixing the engine speed: press the switch lever until it stops, then press the fixing button and release the lever. The revolutions will be fixed and you can continue to work, at this time you can concentrate not on the pressure of the drill, but on the material with which you are working.
The main thing is not to hit the chuck with a hammer or other tools when unscrewing it. You can break not only the chuck, but also damage the axle. So, first of all, you need to unscrew the bolt, as usual. Then you can take the gas wrench, grab the edge of the part you want to remove, and unscrew the cartridge either with a jerk or with slow progressive movements. In order not to face the problem of the impossibility of removing the cartridge in the future, be sure to lubricate all parts with lithol or other grease.
How to remove a chuck from a drill from 4 manufacturers
It is necessary to disassemble such a structure in this order.
- Carefully unscrew the locking screw.
- We unscrew the chuck counterclockwise, if the thread is tightened conscientiously, we clamp the tool shaft in a vice. A gas wrench is used to unscrew. Then we remove the device and examine it for integrity and serviceability.
- If the drill is jammed in the jaws, then we apply not strong, but accurate blows with a hammer using a punch on the cams from above.
Installation is carried out in the reverse order. When tightening a new device, the shaft must secure against turning free hand. We tighten the locking device last. To help home craftsmen:
Dismantle the cartridge
Disassembly methods will vary depending on how the cartridge mechanism is attached.
The chuck on the shaft of an electric or manual drill is attached in two ways. A tapered connection and a thread, so there are a minimum of varieties. In practice, there are devices with metric or inch threads, and on the body of the product, even the smallest, there is always a marking.
For example, a designation of this type 1.5-15M13x1.2 is deciphered as follows:
- 1.5-15 is the diameter of the tail of the cutting tool in millimeters;
- M13. Metric thread with a diameter of 13 mm;
- 1,2. Thread pitch.
Using threads in inches. Unf and indicates diameter: 1/2 ”. This type of connection is considered international and is used in all tools from foreign manufacturers. For special reliability, a stopper is placed on the shaft, in the form of a screw on the left-hand thread. This must be taken into account when you are confused how to disassemble the chuck of an imported drill. It is necessary to unscrew it only clockwise.
The second method uses morse taper, which today is more often called an instrumental cone. The shaft has a tapered part at the end, on which the device is pushed, while it is necessary to apply a small force for a tight connection. The marking is as follows: B10, where the letter indicates the use of a cone, and the number indicates the diameter of the tail of the cutting tool. This type of fastening is common with screwdrivers.