How To Disassemble A Reel With A Line On A Trimmer
Option number 1
To remove the trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press on the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- Removing the cover reveals a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- When you remove the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flat head screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an asterisk bit.
- Using a screwdriver, choosing the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the part housing and, shaking it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
How to properly wind the line in the trimmer, and what to do if the line is quickly consumed, breaks
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in maintenance, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it.
It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers.
Nozzles and line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
Types of finishing tabs
First of all, in order not to resort to frequent replacements, it is better to use a denser line. The number of its types and manufacturers is simply amazing. The main parameter of the trimmer line is its diameter. It ranges from 1.6 to 3.2 mm. The most common types are 2mm line. However, it should be selected depending on the type of trimmer you have.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer. this will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Changing the line on the lawn mower
How to wind the cutting line yourself on the reel of a lawn mower (trimmer)
Most often in gasoline trimmers with an engine power of more than 1.5 HP. Use cords with a metal cable inside. This thread is ideal for cutting dry grass and small bushes.
The presence of a core has a positive effect on the wear resistance of this material. The disadvantage of such a cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above listed opponents.
Trimmer head with two antennae
Double flute head
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the line (1 or 2).
There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems.
Due to the likelihood of interweaving adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new.
After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the performance.
Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
how wind the line on the trimmer head or lawn mowers
It shows in detail how to wind the line on a trimmer reel or lawn mowers. Filling with mowing line.
How the trimmer works?
The principle of operation of such a device is that the grass is cut with a special line mounted on a rapidly rotating head. The number of revolutions per minute can be as high as 8000. Within a short time, the line becomes useless or rather wears out. Then the gardeners have a question: “How to fill the line in the trimmer spool”?
Second winding method
- A previously prepared segment of six meters in length must be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each line, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small notches (so-called grooves) for fixing consumables. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is loaded. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And at this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And after several refueling operations, all actions will reach automaticity.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different ones with a demonstration of winding fishing line on a trimmer reel.
Learning to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel and lawn mowers installation instructions
Private home owners know how essential a trimmer tool is. It can be gasoline and electric, and they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the spool about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
Method 2. how to correctly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with a photo description and
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. Manufacturers use this method, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the mowing line is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The fishing line should be hooked onto the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. The instruction is presented below.
Method 1. how to wind the line correctly or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out how much line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the equipment inside the coil until it is aligned with the side projections. In this case, the equipment should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the rig used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, the piece of line that was prepared to be installed in the reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- In the inner baffle of the coil there is a slot into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. The direction of winding should be indicated on it (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above, “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then do the same procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, pulling the ends of the line, remove them from engagement with the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- This completes the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of lawn mowers carried out, we will find out in detail.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, before threading the trimmer spool, you need to remove it from there. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head) that are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other
- After that, you can proceed to dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all force, but by slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, such as grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. Below is a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without spring, i.e. On the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- There is a coil inside the head, which is fitted on slots that prevent its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is 1 to 4 meters
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the fishing line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable made of nylon that serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2 to 2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and reload the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Tips and tricks on how to wind the line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injury and malfunctioning of the mechanism. These guidelines state the following:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. over, this is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of latches. If one of the latch does not snap into place, the drum may jump out when starting the tool and injure a person.
- Do not wrap the line tightly, or more than you can push it into place. It is better not to wind up the rig than there will be more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the impossibility of unwinding it if necessary
- If you own a tool not with two line leads, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence, as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle rim between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and after that start mowing the grass. If you do not make a preliminary check, then the scaffolding can unwind and injure a person
The result of the work done is as follows. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to cut thick-stemmed grass with line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.