How to Fill a Fishing Line into a Mower
To wrap a fishing line on a gas or electric trimmer, you do not need to have any special skills. To begin with, it is important to determine the appropriate consumables, and then choose the best method. Fill fishing line into the reel of the device using two different methods.
Types of Trimmer Heads for Coils
The main elements of the trigger is a mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a coil (bobbin) inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is refueled into it. The heads differ from each other in the way the cord is fed and refueled. There are three types of heads:
- Automatic. Submission of fishing line is carried out after this, as the user reduces engine speed. Automatic feed of the cord is very convenient when you need to perform a large amount of work. The disadvantage of such a head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its work is arranged so that the fishing line begins to automatically lengthen at a time when the trimmer is working at full speed. It is only necessary to slightly hit the head of the apparatus on the ground (this will remove the blockage of the fishing line), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the fishing line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective casing.
- Manual To lengthen the cord, you must stop the device. After that, the fishing line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trim coils
Fishing line selection
To ensure that the fishing line in the trimmer head is successful, it is important not to lose money with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you fill, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often used universal fishing line, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can select the diameter suitable for the mower in the following ways:
- See the line thickness information in the instructions that came with the trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it displays information about the possible diameters of the fishing line.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet. If it easily passes into it, then the selected diameter of the fishing line is suitable for use.
You can pick up the cord by the type of engine. If the fishing line is too thick, the rotation resistance will increase. The engine in this case will overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electrical device with an engine less than 500 V, a thread 1.3 mm thick is suitable. If this was not found, then you can use a 1.6 mm fishing line. If the power is greater than 1 kW, then select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- For a gas trimmer, a shaft mower matters. For a bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install a thread of 2.4–2.5 or 3 mm. The thickest fishing line is installed on powerful devices. From 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord. Some popular options:
- The most common fishing lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh herbs well, but do worse with shrubs, dead trees.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can even mow the lawn with a rectangular, star or square fishing line for a trimmer, but they are not very durable.
- The most durable is a two-component cord with an inner core and a round cross-section.
Types of fishing line for trimmer
Please note that instead of fishing line, wire, metal strings and cables, as well as ordinary fishing thread, cannot be used. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the cable or similar products will gradually start to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will fly apart at high speed.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not in every model), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electrical unit, be sure to disconnect the trimmer from the mains. The disassembly method depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches), which are located on its two sides.
- Remove the cover under which you will see the spool. Remove it from the housing. For some trimmer coils, there is a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- Having removed the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, swinging it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second embodiment, the trimmer head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, a hole is provided in such devices through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief Instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding fishing line on a reel
Winding fishing line
Filling the fishing line into the reel of the trimmer is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it onto the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Having determined the cord length, follow the following instructions:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- You need to start charging with the central side, which divides the trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the latter in half.
- Decide in which direction you need to wind the line. To do this, look at the bobbin, which may be an arrow or an inscription. She indicates the side of the winding. If there are no signs on the reel, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. Carry out the winding in the opposite direction.
- Wash the consumables carefully, turn to turn. Try to maintain maximum thread tension.
- After laying the cord, fasten the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the coil, which will fit in diameter. Second end (genuine), attach to the groove on the other side of the trimmer bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends. Remember to leave allowances of approximately 10 cm.
- Install the refilled coil to the mower head of the device. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet of the head, then to place the bobbin of the device in the skin.
- After applying the required force, pull the cord out of the locking grooves and tighten the material. At the end of this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of fishing line onto a reel
You can wind the cord on the trimmer in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. Replacement is as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole that is designed to fix the fishing line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the trimmer coil.
- The same actions need to be done for the second bobbin cell.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
In 1971, an American entrepreneur George Ballas invented a grass mower, where a fishing line served as a cutting knife. Since then, a lot of time has passed, the drive has become more powerful, a modern trimmer can easily damage the bark, so the idea itself was transformed into mowing grass around obstacles without damaging the cutting machine itself. For accurate mowing around obstacles, you can have a head with fishing line of a smaller diameter, it is easy to change it when switching from mowing large areas to delicate mowing. However, periodically, the cutting tool itself requires replacement. We tell you how to disassemble the head of a lawn mower (trimmer) and wind a new fishing line.
All about replacing the fishing line on the trimmer head
Choosing a fishing line for the trimmer head
There are many types of heads that are designed for different types of fishing line. The latter is also available in several diameters: from 1.0 mm to 3.2 mm. At the same time, its cross section is round (including with a special groove to reduce noise), square, twisted and star-shaped.
There are no clear preferences, this explains the wide variety of shapes and diameters on the market. The round shape is usually stronger, but has the worst cutting ability, in addition, when rotating it makes a characteristic sound. Therefore, sometimes an acoustic groove is made on it, however, the use of this fishing line makes sense only on battery trimmers, in vehicles with a gasoline-powered and network drive, the sound level of the drive itself almost drowns out the sound from the fishing line. A square has a good cutting ability, and despite the fact that such a fishing line is less durable than a round one, it consumes less on average. A square fishing line quite easily cuts the shoot of the same willow to 1 cm in diameter. A star has the maximum number of cutting faces, mows best and is consumed most quickly.
The next nuance when choosing is rigidity. The fact is that in the manufacture of nylon, a modifier (often maleic anhydride) is added to it, which improves its strength and prevents tearing. However, modifiers are not the cheapest component, they are trying to save on it. Therefore, it seems that a good fishing line that remained for the winter unexpectedly behaves completely differently in the spring. It breaks, ceases to normally exit the reel. There is a recommendation to soak a fishing line in water before work, but I don’t see much sense in it, maleic anhydride interacts with water, but if it is not enough in nylon, then there will be nothing to interact. Therefore, it makes no sense to stock up fishing line for a long period of time, breaking or constantly tearing fishing line, which also does not want to leave the reel itself, can significantly complicate the work.
The trimmer is the most widespread unit used for cutting grass and cutting small bushes. This unit is distinguished by its own ease of maintenance, easy operation at the time of work, and due to its low weight, even ladies are able to control a child. Everyone understands that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of a cutting tool is required. As the last in trimmers, special cutting nozzles (discs, knives) are used differently trimmer heads with fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line. This is a consumable tool, if the knives have the option to grind, then when spending fishing line it needs to be changed. Here we will tell you very carefully how to change the line correctly.
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body where a reel (bobbin) is inserted with fishing line (cord) tucked here. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electronic trimmers. The heads differ in the method of filling and feeding the cord and there are 3 types.
- Automatic. The cord is supplied if the user lowers the engine speed. Although automatic feeding of fishing line is comfortable if huge amounts of work are being done, there is one drawback to such bobbins. High thread consumption.
- Automatic. The introduction of this type of head does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their work is arranged so that the cord is extended automatically as an office, when the device runs at full speed. Quite a little hit with the trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the fishing line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, after which it is cut to a suitable length with a knife placed on the protective cover.
- Hand held. To lengthen the cord, the machine must be stopped, after which the fishing line is stretched manually.
For the above reasons, automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be noted that the coils for the trimmer are single-string (used only for trimming grass) and two-string, which are used to mow the highest grass and small, with thin trunks of bushes.
In advance, before starting the process of changing the cord, users of trimmers need to remove and disassemble the coil. Let’s see how to do it.
The mowing head of the trimmer consists of several parts: casing, springs (not on any models), bobbins with cord and covers.
Attention! Before proceeding with any maintenance of the electronic unit, it must be disconnected from the network.
In trimmers, in most cases, 3.5 mounting options for the mowing head are used.
To remove the trimmer head, you will need it complete disassembly.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you need to press on the latches (latches) located on 2 of its sides.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you will need This common rumor lock the shaft. For this purpose, in similar trimmers, for example, in Huter and Champion devices, a hole is foreseen through which you can stick either a narrow screwdriver or an iron bar.
What is needed to remove the bobbin, follow the 3.5 normal steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head housing and start twisting it clockwise. Twist in this direction should be due to the circumstances that the thread cut on the shaft, left.
What is the duration of the project, what kind of trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the fishing line are selected. The diameter of the cord and possibly from 1.2.7 to 4 mm. It is easy to think that the thicker you fill the cord, the more hard and thick grass it can cut.
Almost always use a universal fishing line with a diameter of 4.5 mm.
There are 3 methods to find out which cross line is used on your mower.
- See the information on the thickness of the cord in the annotation to the device.
- Take a look at the bobbin itself. On its surface a, information on the probable diameter of the fishing line is probably applied.
The line is wound on a reel located in the mowing head. Therefore, at first it must be opened (this was mentioned above). There are 2.4 cord winding methods.
How TO CHANGE THE FISHING LINE FOR THE TRIMMER Electronic
In order to correctly find how many meters of fishing line will be needed for a certain reel, you need to wind it on a bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the fishing line peeks over the edges of the reel, you cannot stick it in the casing. When you are determined with the length of the material, it needs to be tucked into the bobbin, so do the following.
- Necessary fold the fishing line twice, so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Be careful that the bobbin is divided into 5 parts by the central side, from which charging begins. Find a groove in it and stick in the cord, bent twice, with a little effort.
- It is of fundamental importance to find, in which direction is the fishing line wound to the reel. If you look closely, then of course you will find an arrow or an inscription on the bobbin with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. Under these circumstances, look for the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be carried out carefully, turn to turn, with the greatest tension of the thread.
- When the laying of the cord is completed, it will be necessary to first fix the small end of the fishing line by inserting it into a suitable groove across the recess on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is authentic, is mounted in a groove on the back of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving allowances of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install a seasoned coil in the mowing head. For this purpose, by inserting and pulling the thread alternately at the head outlet, place the bobbin in the casing, then, after applying the required force, pull the fishing line out of the locking grooves and tighten it.
- Now there is an option to put on a cover and fix it with latches.
In some coils, a second method of securing the cord is provided: 4 pieces of thread can be charged, instead of the 1st folded in half. The change of fishing line occurs according to the subsequent method.
- Before changing how it is also called, charge the newest thread into a spool, determine how many meters it will be needed by the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord in the shape of a hook.
For Shtil lawn mowers There is a very ordinary and quick method of changing fishing lines without disassembling the mowing head, to find out everything about which there is an option by watching this.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing, of course cut to the desired length, already when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are 2 methods to do this:
- Turning on the trimmer (during rotation, the ends of the fishing line are cut off against a knife fixed for such purposes on the protective casing);
- By cutting off excess ends with scissors in such a way that they do not touch the housing body.
The second method is used if the passage, if you had to put a cord of a huge diameter, and the edged knife is not able to shorten it.
Petrol trimmer / How to fill a line in a lawn mow / lawn mow / How to properly fill the line with a
If the thread is charged into the mowing head, however, the length of the protruding ends of the cord is insufficient, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. This applies to the head with manual adjustment. But there are cases with the use of an automatic mowing head when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they are not extended automatically. Here you need to turn off the unit (on an electronic device you definitely need to pull the plug out of the socket), manually push the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line. After this procedure, the cord will again be able to advance due to centrifugal force, if you set the highest spindle speeds.
No matter what thickness you put the line, you should keep in mind: in order not to interrupt the work all the time and not even change the cord, you should avoid areas where the working tool touches hard surfaces (pebbles, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
Some users of trimmers wonder: what of course to replace the cord for deflot used in this type of apparatus? They begin to carry out dangerous experiments, installing iron or copper wire in the mowing head, iron cables, as it is also called strings, in addition to the ordinary fishing line.
If you install instead of fishing line metal cable, then the trimmer is converted into a dangerous device, not only for the user, but for others. This fact is explained by the fact that at the time of operation of the unit, the metal cable will evenly operate, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly apart in different directions at high speed.
A similar thing happens with the use of metal or copper wire, only with the difference that the detached pieces will be larger, and will cause significant injury.
If you accidentally hook your own foot, in other words, working with an iron cable (wire) unit, then a strong and deepest tissue incision, and sometimes amputation of your toes, is provided for you. The manufacturer does not use nylon for such purposes in vain, since it is quite light and strong, and when it breaks far away it does not fly away and cannot cause injury.
Use fishing line instead of the standard trimmer, of course, of course, however, this will add unnecessary trouble for you, as it rapidly wears out, tears, mows slowly and also does not work for cutting hard grass. And additionally, when carrying out work, a long period disappears in order to never change a broken tool.
Actually, the installation of an ordinary fishing line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if it is from a netting net. Then, in order to protect the standard, and with an expensive cord from wear, it changes to a fishing line, which is not a pity. Usually, in order to change the cord to the fishing line, it is necessary to select a larger thickness. 2-3 mm.
When upgrading a site, park areas and other places where it is necessary to mow various plants, it is often necessary to change the cutting tool in the trimmer. This is dictated by the fact that the standard cord installed in the mowing head can only be controlled with weed. However, when a shrub appears on the way of the worker along another young shoot of trees, the fishing line has no right to cope with such a task, and its change to a more effective cutting tool is required.
Manufacturers of domestic trimmers provided for such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of nozzles in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of disks similar to circular saws.
If you replace the fishing line with a knife with several “petals”, then with such equipment there is an option to mow both higher grass and plants with thick and dry trunks. And changing the fishing line to the disk, the user has lawn mowers easily cut down bushes or small trees.
Knives and discs are installed according to the following method.
- First, you will need to remove by locking the shaft, mowing head (turn clockwise) or a nut with anther, if the unit has not been used yet.
For the best understanding of the tool change process, see this.
In users of trimmers, both gasoline and electronic, when there are obstacles with cord. “Advanced” owners of mowers without any difficulties manage in the difficulties that have arisen, understanding why this is happening, for beginners this is a problem that does not have an optimal explanation. Alas, in essence, what remains to be done is easily solved for our client. The most common tasks that happen with fishing line are the following.
If the fishing line is often torn, this of course causes the following prerequisites:
- Pebbles, small branches, and other hard obstacles come across in the grass;
- The user mows the grass close to the fence, if it is mesh, it breaks the “antennae” even faster;
- Poor cord quality (recommended to purchase high quality);
- The outlet openings in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the fishing line is erased against the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete change of part will be necessary).
Mostly, the cord ends rapidly if often pounding the ground with an automatic head either push it down very hard. The reel is unlocked, and the fishing line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord is rapidly ending is the incorrect operation of the device with an automatic head: when mowing, the user often slows down the engine speed. Alas, as we recall, the automatic head is designed in such a way that, with each decrease in speed, a brand new portion of fishing line is fed, because it is rapidly consumed.
It happens that the thread is unwound if in the automatic head the spring has loosened. The fishing line is constantly extended and trimmed with a knife mounted on the casing, due to which its consumption increases. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the fishing line “climbed”, then a spring change will be necessary.
A prerequisite for the cord to unwind after starting the unit will also be the weakening of the spring inside the head. And in addition, there are cases when, when the unit is turned on, the mowing head scatters, and the spring installed here disappears. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Because the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies.
Automatic, in other words, the automatic head must feed the line without stopping the unit. If it does not exit, then the following are the prerequisites:
- Incorrectly wound fishing line in the reel, for which reason the latter does not rotate;
- The cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between turns (the thread should be wound carefully, turn to thread, without distortions);
- Very short ends of the thread come out of the holes, for this reason there is a lack of centrifugal force to remove them, and the fishing line is not fed (it is recommended that the cord length is always adjusted before starting the unit, pulling it a little);
- The fishing line stuck together (to be discussed later).
This problem occurs in most cases due to the use of poor cord. During the operation of the apparatus, the trimmer head is heated, and the bad fishing line melts here, sticking together. Also, sintering of threads occurs when meeting fishing line with a hard obstacle. In this case, a sharp braking of the cord occurs, after which it is pulled into the head, where it is attached. Some owners of aggregates advise lubricating the cord with mineral oil as it is also called pouring silicone spray there after winding on a bobbin. Others recommend winding less thread on a bobbin. Alas, it is better to immediately take a high-quality product, during the manufacturing process of which the manufacturer took into account the head overheating factor, and the thread will not stick together.