How To Fix A Fishing Line On A Gas Trimmer
How to replace a fishing line in any trimmerSo, first unscrew the nozzle. Do this by rotating the drum to the right. Here we have a drum in our hands with the remains of an old fishing line. We open it. Most often, the lid closes with latches, which can be opened with a screwdriver by threading it through the holes and pressing lightly. Or you need to squeeze the lock and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. At the same time, the lid itself must be kept, as in drums with automatic supply of fishing line there is a spring, which, when straightened, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. Gently pulling out the reel, we remove scraps of fishing line from it.
Now you need to take 5 meters of new fishing line and fold in half (to find the middle). In the middle part of the reel there is a recess (in some designs. A hole), for which we need to hook our fishing line. There is also an arrow on the reel showing the direction of winding. An important detail. If the reel has two compartments, then one half of the fishing line should be wound in one direction, and the other in the other. Finishing the winding, you need to leave 15-20 cm of fishing line free. There are also two recesses on the upper ring of the coil through which these free ends must be drawn. We coped directly with the winding itself.
The last step in the fishing line replacement process is to assemble the drum. First you need to put the spring and washers in their place. Then, holding the reel with one hand, with the other you need to thread the ends of the fishing line into the corresponding holes on the sides of the nozzle. After that, install the coil in its place, pulling the fishing line and trying not to displace the spring. When all the internal elements of the nozzle take their places, you can close the drum with a lid. You just need to make some effort so that the latches fall into place. Voila! The mowing nozzle is ready to go!When choosing a fishing line for your motor scythe (gasoline or electric), you should dwell on some points, which we will discuss in detail.
Diameter of fishing line.Engine power determines what maximum fishing line diameter can be used for a given scythe. For example, the manufacturer of an electric trimmer with a power of up to 1 kW recommends using a fishing line ø2 mm, and at values of about 500 W. Only ø1.5 mm. Also, the manufacturer of any powerful trimmer with a curved bar recommends using a ø2 mm fishing line.A gasoline engine is more durable than an electric one. Because there you can install a thicker fishing line, which means stronger, which allows you to mow more grass and work longer.For straight grass barrels, you can select the fishing line according to the following simple algorithm: the engine size in tens of cubic centimeters corresponds to the diameter in millimeters. For example, for a Husqvarna 128R lawn mower with an engine size of about 25 cm3, a ø2.5 ± 0.2 mm fishing line should be used. For more powerful brush cutters with volumes of more than 40 cm3, only the geometric dimensions of the outlet openings of the mowing head. No more than 4 mm, are used to limit the diameter of the line.So, a thin fishing line (about 1.5 mm) cuts well the cultivated lawn grass, and thick (for example, 22.214.171.124 mm) successfully destroys weeds and even young shrubs.
The shape of the fishing line.The simplest and cheapest in production is a round fishing line. However, the requirements of ergonomics and environmental protection limit its use. Due to its physical properties, it creates an unacceptably high noise level (which is comparable to the noise of the engine itself). These are the classic Husqvarna round fishing line or Oregon RoundLine or Chipmaster.To reduce the noise level produced by the fishing line, they give it a special shape. Make it spiral like Oregon DuoLine Plus (noise reduction by 15 dB) or with special transverse grooves like Husqvarna Whisper (-8 dB).Following the school laws of physics, “working” part of the fishing line during mowing is only the end surface, and not the side surface. However to enhance “pungent” fishing line, i.E. To increase efficiency, the cross-section is changed to faceted: star-shaped, square or square with teeth. Oregon StarLine, Nylsaw or Flexiblade.For example, according to experts, the Oregon Nylsaw fishing line, thanks to its square profile, is 27% “sharper” its analogue of circular cross section, which clearly affects the increase in the speed of mowing.
Guaranteed production of a factory trimmer refill will inevitably require replacing the fishing line. Having a very rough idea of how to fill the fishing line into the reel of the trimmer yourself, beginners are reluctant to take up this matter. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar instruction presented below will facilitate this process as much as possible.
First of all, for winding fishing line it is required to remove the reel (bobbin, spool) from the trimmer. Specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
- Small electric trimmers with a working arrangement of the engine and the coil in the lower part, as a rule, have side keys on both sides of the bobbin. By pressing them simultaneously, the upper part of the reel, together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, is disconnected, while the lower one remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on an even smooth place so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and is not lost;
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved rod without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have coils with a special wing: in such designs, you should hold the spool in one position with one hand and rotate the locking reel on the wing nut with the other counterclockwise. After disconnecting the nut, the entire reel is removed.
- Electric and petrol trimmers with the possibility of installing a knife on a straight bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. For the motion of the rod to be stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and with a slow rotation, such a mutual arrangement is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body scrolls clockwise (with the left thread) and is removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in various ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is twisted, in coils with latches, latches-clamps are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the spool are threaded, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
We carry out winding fishing line
Slowly completed disassembling the spool reel without losing its spare parts allows you to go to the main task. Winding fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the design of the spool and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Coil with one working antenna
The simplest option and a simple sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the bobbin and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended fishing line length for winding. 2 5 m.
- One end of the fishing line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the reverse direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer product. As a rule, on the inner side of the bobbin an arrow indicates which direction the winding is going.
- A small section of fishing line is left free to bring it out. It is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the reel, designed to hold the winding when assembling the spool in working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the bar of the trimmer.
Coil with two working antennae
In this type of spools, you should determine the number of grooves for winding fishing line lying on the inside of the reel:
- One groove. Both antennae are wound together along one groove;
- Two grooves. Each antennae is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a 2-3-meter-long fishing line is taken. In single-groove reels, the fishing line is pulled into the through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the side of the bar. The correct direction of winding is usually indicated inside the arrow. In the presence of fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded into them or held by the fingers of their free hands, threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the bar of the trimmer.
The difference between winding fishing line in two-groove reels is that initially a piece of fishing line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle bend), and the bend loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each in its own groove, the fixation of the antennae and the reel assembly are similar to the one-groove variant discussed above.
The first implementation of this procedure may seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The below will clearly show how to put the fishing line into the reel of the trimmer and wrap it correctly. This operation is not difficult and with some patience will certainly succeed:
Automatic reeling of fishing line
There is a variety of coils in which the automatic mechanism makes winding on its own. From the user it is enough just to properly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through the hole on the inside of the case, its antennae without winding is passed through the hole on the external case, the spool is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the line inside is wound up independently. In such a spool, it is impossible to make the winding incorrectly: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only turn in one direction.