How to Get a Nozzle from a Screwdriver
The design and purpose of the power tool
The screwdriver is used to twist and unscrew various fasteners. The tool can thread and drill. It significantly facilitates and speeds up the work. Screwdrivers are used in everyday life, construction, furniture assembly, in auto repair shops, wherever you need to work with a large number of fasteners.
The main elements of a screwdriver:
- Torque adjustment clutch.
- Speed shifter.
- Engine in the body of a screwdriver.
- The gearbox is enclosed in the tool body.
- Reverse switch.
- Power button.
- The handle is rubberized to eliminate slipping.
- Power cord.
Screwdrivers are powered by batteries or by mains.
Types of bits for a screwdriver: how to choose
To choose the right nozzles, you need to study their varieties. First determine the type of shank shape and diameter. It happens from 1/4 to 1 inch.
Types of core bits:
- Slotted. They differ in the width and thickness of the slot;
- Cross. They have a different angle at the base and shape;
- Hex. The main characteristic of a bit is the distance between the sides of the hexagon;
- Stars. This shape improves adhesion between the nozzle and the fastener.
Types of special bits:
- Tri wing or trihedral;
- Double pin. Like spline, but with a recess in the middle;
- Torq set. As trihedral, but with four rays;
- End. Usually performed with a magnet;
- For drywall. Have a persistent limiter;
- With spring clip.
Combined bits have two types of shank shape or one, but different sizes. For example, splined shank and sprocket.
Combination nozzle example
Determine the bit length that you need to work. It ranges from 10 to 200 mm.
Depending on the shape of the shank, the nozzles have a certain marking:
- Sl (Slot). Slotted;
- Ph (Philips). Cross-shaped universal;
- Pz (Pozidrive). Cruciform with additional thin ribs;
- T (Torx hole). Stars;
- H (Hex). Hex.
An important characteristic is the steel grade of which the bit is made. The nozzle may have a protective coating. The strength of the tool depends on this. The main types of steel and coatings, which should be preferred:
- Cr-v. Chrome vanadium steel. The most common, with increased hardness;
- Cr-Mb. Chrome-molybdenum steel. It is less common. Very durable material;
- Ni is a nickel coating. Increases corrosion resistance;
- Wc. Tungsten carbide coating. Increases Strength;
- Tin is a nitrite-titanium yellow coating. Increases Strength.
Nozzles vary depending on the purpose:
- Twisting and unscrewing;
Given all the parameters considered, you can easily select the necessary bits.
How to work with nozzles
Different chucks are installed in the screwdrivers. Consider how to change the nozzle in all types.
- Keyless chuck. It happens single-coupled and double-coupled. It is installed most often. To release the cams and remove the old bit, rotate the front coupling counterclockwise. Insert a new bit and screw the coupling back;
- Hex cartridge with magnet. The nozzle is simply inserted and pulled out;
- Snap clip. It is found in pneumatic screwdrivers. The nozzle is inserted and latched. To extract, pull the bit while holding the clamp head.
Magnetization and hardening of nozzles
A large number of nozzles are made in China from soft material. Therefore, they quickly lose their shape. A new bit is missing for quite a while. To extend the service life, the nozzle must be hardened. You will need: engine oil, a gas burner or gas stove, a small oil tank from any can, a piece of steel wire.
- Wind the wire onto the bit so that it does not fall out.
- Pour oil into a container. Ignite the gas in the burner and heat the bit red. The main thing is not to redo it.
- Dip the red nozzle into the oil for 5-6 seconds. Take out for 2-3 seconds. Repeat this several times.
The hardened bat will last longer than usual.
For convenience, especially in hard-to-reach places, nozzles are magnetized. There are several ways to do this.
You will need to purchase a special device for magnetizing and demagnetizing screwdrivers. Insert the bat there. A square window magnetizes, and a stepwise window. On the contrary.
Device for magnetization and demagnetization
- Take the magnet and rub the nozzle against it from all sides.
- Now it is magnetized. Try to hold fasteners. Repeat as necessary.
Video: magnetizing nozzles with a magnet
As a result, the nozzle will magnetize the fasteners better than the new one.
Video: magnetization of bits with neodymium magnets
How to use a screwdriver: useful operating tips
After acquiring a screwdriver, follow simple recommendations for use. And then the tool will work for a long time and efficiently:
- Turn off the screwdriver before connecting and removing the battery;
- Do not bring the tool to overheating, take breaks;
- Correctly adjust the torque adjustment clutch;
- After applying high revolutions, set the minimum and idle the engine for several minutes to allow it to cool;
- Check the cable of the power screwdriver, and the battery cable has the power cord of the charger. If the tool or charger periodically loses the network, then the wire must be replaced;
- Do not use a screwdriver in the rain and snow. In a humid environment, you can only work under a canopy.
How to adjust speed and effort
The speed of rotation is changed by a switch, which is located on the body of the screwdriver. High speed is used for large bolts and screws, as well as for drilling, if such a function is present.
Many models have a force limit clutch. Its presence in the power tool can be determined by a rotating ring with numbers. Some users do not understand the meaning of the coupling and do not touch it. Using a ratchet, you can adjust the screwing depth of the screw. In too soft material, the fastener cap is easily recessed and can pass through. When using small fasteners, very high torque can destroy it. A ratchet prevents slotting of the screws and wear of the screwdriver bit. To determine the desired value on the adjusting ring, make several starts from the minimum. For drilling mode, maximum torque is used. But only if there is such a function.
The start button also controls the speed of rotation, but no more than that set by the switch. Suppose you set the switch to the first speed, which is declared up to 800 rpm. When you pull the trigger the maximum speed will not rise. And the torque in maximum mode will be low, that is, you can not twist large screws and drill. And if you set the switch to maximum speed, you can drill and the speed will be much higher.
Adjust speed, torque and reverse when the tool is off.
Tool Use Options
The screwdriver can not only twist and unscrew the fasteners. So that the tool does not lie down, it can find a lot of applications.
Can I use a screwdriver as a drill
You can only drill with a screwdriver if this mode is provided by the manufacturer. Then drilling will be safe. Read the instructions carefully. On the sleeve, this is the last position or pictogram showing the drill.
In screwdrivers with a drilling function, a keyless or key chuck is installed. A magnetic or snap-in chuck will not be able to hold the drill and ensure safe operation. To replace the snap-in, do the following:
In the double-coupled keyless chuck, hold the rear clutch and rotate the front one counterclockwise.
Using various nozzles, the tool can perform the following work:
You can still find a lot of uses for this tool. But remember that you need to work with safety glasses and gloves.
Hello everybody ! So there was a need to buy a power drill more powerful than mine now.
Now I have a weak Bosh model I don’t remember (not a big little blue gun at max. 30 Nm at 10. 4 V) I use it to assemble and disassemble furniture. But here the work was painted in the country such as the promotion of rusty bolts, screwing in large self-tapping screws, etc. In short, not my Bosch. As a result, I looked at two impact drivers Metabo SB 18 LTX LB QUICK and Metabo SB 18 LTX QUICK, i.E. The first one whose LB index has a brushless motor, the second with a conventional (brush) motor. Can someone tell me whether it is worth overpaying about 4000 rubles for a model with a brushless motor? For several days now I have been studying the characteristics of these models and “I want to” as they say and “pricks” The brushless has a maximum torque of 90 Nm for the brushless 110 Nm, although the idle speeds of the brushless are slightly higher at the first speed, higher by 100 rpm at the second speed by 300 rpm. In the shock mode, the brush one produces fewer beats per minute than the brushless one; therefore, according to the idea, the brush will strike harder (i.E., in the shock mode the brush is more powerful). And so it turns out this situation. In favor of the brush is 1) the price 2) the maximum moment 3) a more powerful shock mode.In favor of the brushless 1) type long-lasting (brushless motor) 2) A little higher idle speeds (which suggests that the engine is a little more powerful) 3) the brushless model is a little lighter by 100 grams well and it has an additional indicator button for easy connection and turning off the pulse mode (although it is not clear to me whether this is plus or minus).To be honest, 90 Nm is enough for the eyes, it remains to understand what kind of beast the brushless motor is, is it true that it is so durable or is it just a marketing ploy. In short, who in the topic help with the choice, I will work with the tool as usual not so often but very actively (not often but a large amount at a time)
Later added by the author:
Here’s what we found out about the brushless model of a screwdriver from an advertisement.
One of Metabo’s iconic news is the brushless motor. So far, we have implemented it only in screwdrivers. Compared to competitors, our model will be the most compact, but at the same time with one of the highest torques. Another advantage of the new screwdriver is an increased number of revolutions and, as a result, increased productivity.
The use of “brushless” provides an extended range of tool operation. It is effective for wrapping both small and medium and large fasteners. Over, I note that the main gain is achieved mainly with loads close to maximum, when a large current is consumed.
However, in practice, the benefit from the “brushless” is not as significant as many of our competitors “draw”. Over, often in advertising materials they mix in one pile the advantages of switching to a brushless motor and 4.0 Ah batteries. In reality, the “brushless” provides a gain of 10-15%. In addition, the use of a brushless motor allowed us to implement another energy-saving idea. The recovery of braking energy. Like in a car! “
Varieties of the tool: characteristic features
The screwdriver can be classified into the following varieties:
- Cordless screwdriver
- Standard screwdriver
The working principle of the tools is similar to each other, but still there are differences in functionality.
A drill / driver is able not only to tighten the screw, but also to drill a hole. The wrench specializes in bolts and nuts. The third representative is a cordless screwdriver, designed exclusively for twisting / unscrewing fasteners with a Phillips head. The latter species is characterized by low power, in contrast to the above.
What does a screwdriver consist of? Device setup.
In the plastic case there is an engine and a gear mechanism that drives a bit, which is installed at the end of a screwdriver. The device is provided for by the presence of a start toggle switch, a direction and speed switch, diode illumination and a tightening time regulator.
The principle of the tool is very simple. The nozzle, previously fixed in the cartridge, moves with the help of a shaft, which starts moving from the motor through a gearbox. Before using a screwdriver, you should find out if the battery is charged, and whether the correct nozzle is installed.
Immediately before doing the work, you need to look at such a nozzle so that it matches the head of a self-tapping screw or screw.
To install the desired nozzle, you should select it by the size of the cap of the fastener element and fix it in the magnetic holder of the cartridge. First, the cartridge with the coupling must be removed from the device, and after fixing the bits, the cartridge must again be secured to the body of the screwdriver.
Then you need to assign a suitable bit speed. Adjustment is carried out through a special knob. The required mode is set in the off state of the tool.
Before using a power tool, it is necessary to adjust the screwing depth of the fastener. After some time, you may need to replace the magnetic holder. To change it, the cartridge, magnetic mount and coupling are removed. Further chuck sleeve secured back to block screwdriver housing.
How to change / insert / pull out the nozzle (bit), drill
After you select the right nozzle (bit) for the drill, taking into account the size of the screw head and the configuration of the recesses (straight, cross), it must be installed in the center between the open cams, and secured in the cartridge by turning the sleeve clockwise. If the key type cartridge is selected, then the key is installed in the recess on the cartridge, and then it is turned clockwise until the nozzle is fixed. The end of the nozzle is placed in the groove of the screw. Before the device is started, check the accuracy of the installation of the direction of rotation, the direction should coincide with the screw tightening.
Increasing the pressure on the start button controls the optimal rotation speed. When the screw is completely immersed, the force limiting mechanics are activated, and then the drill stops.
How to work with a screwdriver
After completing all the settings, you can take up the use of a power tool. Having studied the operating instructions of the screwdriver, it is possible to prevent possible malfunctions in the process of handling the device, thereby increasing the tool life.
It is not allowed to adjust the frequency and direction of rotation of the nozzle in the on state of the device. Do not touch the grounded objects with a power tool, otherwise a person may be shocked. Do not use the appliance for a long time, as it may burn out.
The room in which it is best to use a screwdriver should be well lit, and the power supply network should be constant, without jumps, this will avoid equipment malfunctions. Work should take place in specialized clothing and only with serviceable tools.
Can I use a drill as a screwdriver
A screwdriver can also be used as a drill. The mechanism of the cartridge makes it possible to firmly fix the drill with a cylindrical tail. To get started, you need to install a drill in the chuck.
Be careful, as the design is not intended for making holes, especially for hardwood, metal or concrete, because there is a high probability of damage to the planetary gearbox.
There is nothing remarkable in the maintenance, since today modern models have increased strength and can withstand even falls from a small height. The cartridge should be regularly lubricated and cleaned. Avoid getting moisture, dirt, sand in the middle of the tool. Watch the overload of the screwdriver, if you feel that the screwdriver starts to work with effort, lower the speed of revolutions.
The device and principle of the screwdriver
According to the method of nutrition, screwdrivers are divided into two varieties:
- Network connected to 220 V networks;
- Rechargeable, using the energy of the accumulated charge.
Recently, tools with a combined feeding method have also appeared. They combine all the advantages of both varieties.
The external and internal devices of the network and battery models are almost the same. In general, a power tool consists of the following structural elements:
- Power buttons;
- Switch of the direction of rotation of the electric motor (reverse);
- Speed controller (number of revolutions);
- Power lock buttons;
- Torque regulator (torque switch).
The photograph below shows the design of a cordless screwdriver.
A number of models optional equipped with backlight, which is constructively implemented in various ways. Not every product has a speed controller and a power lock button. Networked electric screwdrivers have a power cord, and battery-powered ones have a charge storage instead.
Power Tool Housing most often made of plastic, much less often. From alloys of different metals. For convenience, it usually consists of 2 halves. Inside the case there are such main details:
- Electric motor (direct or alternating current);
Electrical connections depends on the model.
An electric screwdriver can be equipped with different types of cartridges. The most widespread keyless three-jaw variant of this part. The cartridge also consists of individual parts, which are presented in the following photo.
It should be borne in mind that if the purpose of the screwdriver is highly specialized, this can make some design changes.
Pprinciple of work both network and cordless screwdrivers are the same. It lies in the fact that electrical energy drives the electric motor. Through the gearbox and shaft, the force and speed are transmitted from the motor to the nozzle fixed in the cartridge. She is already drilling a hole or screwing or unscrewing the fasteners. A feature of the process is that the electric motor for network models operates at an alternating voltage of 220 V, and for battery models. At a constant voltage, the value of which can be in the range from 3.5 V to 36 V.
Changing the nozzle on a screwdriver is not difficult. The tool can be equipped with a keyless chuck or a key. Replace the snap in both cases in a similar way. To pull the drill out of the screwdriver with keyless chuck and insert a new or different type of snap-in proceed as follows:
- First, they select a bit for the size of the cap and the type of slot on it (cross, straight or other) or a drill of the desired diameter corresponding to the material in which the hole is to be created;
- Untwist the cartridge against the clockwise direction;
- In the middle, between the diluted cams mounted species selected tooling;
- Rotating the cartridge sleeve in the direction of the clock, clamp the nozzle.
You can pull out the drill from the screwdriver (or another nozzle) by holding the moving part of the chuck with one hand, and pressing the start button with the other. Only previously should switch the direction of rotation to untwisting.
When the drill / driver is equipped with a chuck Full construction, then, to change the snap do this:
- Inserting the key into the recess for him, untwist the cartridge;
- Install the nozzle;
- Clamp it by rotating the key clockwise.
There are models in which you can remove the cartridge of the same type, for example, quick-detachable, and replace it with a turnkey analog. Choosing any option, it is necessary to focus not only on convenience at work, but also the pros and cons of each of them should be taken into account. So, a turnkey chuck reliably clamps the equipment, which is important when drilling, and a quick-clamping allows you to quickly replace, even with one hand (the other holds on to the handle, pressing the start button as necessary).
Scope of the screwdriver
Correctly using a screwdriver. This means performing with it only those operations that are indicated in operational instructions manufacturer of this product. The main (as intended) for this tool is the following types of work:
- Screwing or unscrewing fasteners of various types, including tightening and unscrewing bolts with nuts;
- Drilling holes in materials of different hardness.
The use of a screwdriver for its intended purpose is the most common way to use this device, both at home and in construction, furniture manufacturing, electrical installation, in the assembly and repair of cars. The scope of the product is not limited to these areas: a drill / driver is useful wherever it is necessary to work with fasteners (assemble disassemble various structures, equipment, machines) and drill holes of relatively small sizes.
The scope of the possible application of a particular model is determined by what category it belongs to: household or professional. The tool, designed for home use, is relatively cheap, has little power and torque. Household models have low performance, as well as limited functionality.
Screwdriver from occupational category It has advanced functionality and high technical performance. Such a tool is intended for continuous, effective use for its intended purpose. He also has much wider opportunities for unconventional exploitation.
Unconventional use cases
In addition to direct use, an electric screwdriver is used to perform various non-traditional operations. These include the following types of work:
- Polishing a car and its headlights;
- Stirring small volumes of various building mixtures and paints;
- Drilling holes in ice (for this the tool is equipped with a special nozzle. A drill);
- Knitting reinforcement;
- Thread cutting;
- Mowing the grass cover (for this purpose, the device is converted into a trimmer or lawn mower, or simply a nozzle with blades is inserted into the cartridge);
- Chopping soft grass or thin branches (for this, a garden shredder is created on the basis of a drill / driver);
- Grinding surfaces;
- Cutting materials;
- Twisting of wires.
This is an incomplete list of non-traditional work performed using cordless or network models of electric screwdrivers. Inventive thought does not stand still. Almost every specialist has options for work atypical for this power tool.
Using a screwdriver, you can return the car to its original color and shine. To polish the car, apply such varieties of nozzles:
- Leather or fabric circles, with their help perform the initial cleaning of surfaces;
- Felt. They are used for initial processing and finishing polishing (nozzles made of sheepskin are suitable);
- Foam rubber.
Together with snap is also used polishing pastes and polishes. They are of the following types:
Using similar tools, headlights are polished.
The quality of the result is determined by the correct combination of nozzles with polishing agents, as well as accuracy and skill of the work.
Knitting reinforcing bars using steel wire is very common in the construction industry when erecting reinforced concrete (monolithic) structures, for example, foundations, houses. Even if you have to do a small amount of work, then working with a manual hook or pliers is not quite productive. A cordless or cordless electric screwdriver equipped with a hook-shaped nozzle will help to knit fittings much faster. At the same time, the power indicator of the tool is not particularly important.
Twisting the cut ends of wires, for example, in junction boxes. This is also quite a routine. You can speed up the process using a screwdriver with a special nozzle. How the twisting is done is shown in the below:
Features of drilling with a screwdriver for concrete, metal, brick
Using electric screwdrivers, drill wood, metal, concrete and other materials. At the same time, the functionality of the model used depends on its technical indicators: power, magnitude, torque, the presence of shock mode, speed. The instruction manual contains precise instructions on whether this or that material can be drilled with a screwdriver. It also provides the maximum diameter of the holes created, and in some cases, the restrictions on the depth.
Brick or concrete wall Only a sufficiently powerful drill / driver can drill. In most cases, such devices can operate in shock mode. But to drill a concrete wall with a screwdriver, even an impact type, is quite problematic. This tool is only suitable for one-time operations. This time-consuming job is best done with a hammer drill.
In softwood even battery products from the household category are capable of creating holes with a cross section of up to 20 mm. Using budget models from the rating of the best electric screwdrivers of 2017, various metals are drilled, including steel. In this case, the holes in diameter can reach 10 mm.
Drills of a certain type are used for drilling each material. Nozzles differ not only in the material from which they are made, but also in design and sharpening.
When working with a tool, a rotating drill should enter the surface of the material perpendicular to it. This allows you to evenly distribute the load on the tooling, to create more accurate holes.
When drilling metal it is recommended that you first make a small indentation in the center of the future hole using a core. This will prevent the drill from sliding over a smooth metal surface. If you need to make a hole of a sufficiently large diameter, then you must first drill a smaller one. Also, when working with metal, it is recommended to lubricate the nozzle regularly with a special compound.
Using a drill screwdriver, it should be borne in mind that it is impossible to exert strong pressure on it, because it not only does not accelerate the work, but also can damage the drill, as well as the power tool itself. The effort must be kept constant at the same level. To avoid jamming or breaking the nozzle, you need to get it out of the drilled hole only during rotation. If the drill is still stuck, then you can get it by performing a reverse.
Drilling small parts It recommended to perform pre-fixing them grip. If you have to make a through hole in a thin sheet of metal or in a thick wooden blank, then under them you need to adjust even pieces of plywood or boards.
Recommendations for the proper care of the tool
Both battery and network models require periodic maintenance and ongoing care. Together with the proper storage and lack of operational overload, these factors can extend the life of the screwdriver.
Quality care is as follows:
- Water must not fall on the instrument. Therefore, the product should be stored in a designated, dry place.
- It is forbidden to throw an electric screwdriver.
- Do not overload the power tool: you can navigate while partially heating the case. Use only sharp drills.
- Must be done periodically cartridge lubrication: the frequency of the event is indicated in the operating instructions.
- If dirt, dust, chips or other contaminants get in, they should be removed with a dry cloth (especially carefully fuels and lubricants). You also need to wipe your device at the end of the day. Equipment should also always be in a clean condition.
- Batteries be stored so that there is no short circuit between their terminals. Do not allow deformation of drives, and also leave them under the direct influence of sunlight.
- Lithium-ion batteries are recommended to be stored half-charged from the maximum capacity, nickel-metal hydride batteries are fully charged, and nickel-cadmium batteries are partially discharged (but slightly).
- After storage (or new), nickel-cadmium storage devices should be subjected to 3 cycles of full charge / discharge before use so that they retain their capacity, and nickel-metal hydride. 4-5.
- Manufacturers recommend storing and operating electrical screwdrivers at temperatures from 5 to 30 degrees.
- Charger After charging the batteries, disconnect them from the battery models to prevent overheating.
- Before and after work, it is recommended to check the integrity of the product in use, especially its moving parts.
- When drilling is recommended periodically cool nozzle different ways.
Compliance with the given care recommendations does not take much time, but it contributes to a significant extension of the period of use of the product.
Before you start using a new screwdriver, it is recommended that you first familiarize yourself with the operating instructions for it from the manufacturer. It already indicates the design features of the model, its technical characteristics, a suitable field of application, frequency of service, recommendations for transportation and storage. The safety rules that must be followed are also mandatory.
If the smell of melting plastic or insulation, smoke, uncharacteristic noise, excessive vibration appears during the work with the tool, then you should immediately stop using it.
When the product is under warranty service, it is best to take it to a after-sales service. Otherwise, you can try to repair it yourself.