How to Insert a Cord into a Stihl Trimmer
The effectiveness of the trimmer on the adjoining and garden plot largely depends on the quality and strength installed on its cutting line. There are different types of cords on the market. Having studied their features, it will be easier for the gardener to choose exactly the cord that is suitable for specific operating conditions.
According to the type of factory section, cutting cords are divided into the following types:
- Round. This type of fishing line is most often used by professionals on powerful lawn mowers. These cords are considered universal, as they equally effectively cope with freshly grown grass, as well as with small woody weeds. Another advantage is the dense uniform stacking of fishing line with a circular cross section. During operation, it is quickly fed from the mowing head, without jamming and not jumping in too much;
- Square. Used primarily for mowing old overripe grass with a small amount of hard weeds. In the manufacture of this fishing line, faces are formed that effectively cope with the removal of thin young shoots of wild shrubs and trees. Thanks to this, square fishing line can be actively used to care for remote areas where it is not possible to regularly mow the grown grass;
- Twisted. The second name for these cutting cords is silent. Their main advantage is low sound pressure on the operator. They effectively mow woody weeds and thick overripe grass.
Gardeners use reinforced cord to remove particularly large weeds and cut thick young shoots of wild trees. It stands out for its high strength and tear resistance. The main disadvantage of this type of fishing line is a significant noise level, as well as the required high power of the lawn mowing engine. In this regard, a low-power electric scythe with fishing line and knife cannot be equipped with a thick reinforced cord.
What is the effect of cord thickness?
Its effectiveness in mowing different types of wild vegetation depends on the diameter of the fishing line.
Today in the market you can find cords of such thickness:
- 1.6 mm. Fishing line for mowing young soft grass;
- 2 mm. Cord with this thickness is mainly used for mowing young wild vegetation and small weeds;
- 2.4 mm. This line is designed to remove young weeds and mow large volumes of overripe wild vegetation;
- 2.7 mm. This type of cord is used to effectively control large weeds;
- 3 mm. Fishing line with this thickness effectively copes with the removal of small shrubs and thick old weeds;
- 3.3 mm. This cutting cord is suitable for removing thin shoots of young wild trees;
- 4 mm. The large thickness of this fishing line allows it to cut large, woody weeds and thick shoots of wild trees.
It is important to remember that the larger the diameter of the cutting cord, the higher its noise during operation. In addition, thick fishing lines can only be installed on trimmers with high engine power. For example, only mowing heads with a cord thickness of not more than 2 mm can be placed on electric trimmers with fishing line and knife. Otherwise, the garden tool motor will overheat quickly.
Which fishing line for trimmer is better?
To answer this common question, you need to consider the main operating parameters of the cutting cord in turn.
- Thickness. The larger the diameter of the fishing line, the higher its effectiveness when working with thick weeds;
- Cross-section. Cords with twisted and round cross-sections are best proven. Another popular option is the star. Cords with a section of this type successfully cope with tall dense grass and young shrubs;
- Manufacturer. The cutting cords of the Husqvarna and Stihl brands stand out for their high quality, strength and durability. Their only minus is the high price. In such cases, you can choose inexpensive cords of the brands Sturm, Forte or Intertool.
When choosing a fishing line, it is desirable that the gardener had the opportunity to check the cord with his own hands. It is important to stretch the cutting cord and try to break it. If the fishing line does not lend itself, then it can withstand a fairly high load.
How to insert a fishing line into a trimmer?
There are 2 common ways to wind the cutting cord onto the trimmer coil, which depend on the type of mowing head. To choose the appropriate method, you need to study the design features of the spool. This will help to understand how to quickly and easily insert the cutting cord into the trimmer coil.
How to wind a fishing line on a trimmer reel – first way
For heads of the first type, the dividing line between the upper and lower compartment has a recess and does not close into a ring.
Fishing line on such reels is wound in the following order:
- First you need to cut off a 6-meter piece of cord from the general coil. The resulting segment must be doubled. As a result, one side of the line should be 15 cm longer than the second;
- Next, the cord, in the place of its bend, will need to be inserted into the recess provided on the verge between the upper and lower compartment of the coil. As a result, one part of the cord should be in the upper, and the second. In the lower compartment of the head;
- Then you need to start winding the cord on the trimmer. This should be done exclusively in the direction shown by the arrow on the reel. In this case, the cutting cord should not be intertwined, and its lower and upper parts should be wound into the corresponding compartments of the spool. After that, 15 cm of free cord should remain in each compartment;
- Recesses are provided in the upper compartment of the reel, which are designed to fix the fishing line. The ends of the cord must be inserted into these recesses. As a result, they should be located opposite each other;
- After that, the operator must assemble the mowing head and install it on the trimmer.
Before operating the lawn mowers, the operator must extend the free ends of the cutting cord so that they stretch. Due to this, when mowing grass, the line will be evenly fed from the spool, without delaying the operator.
How to Fill a Fishing Line into a Trimmer Coil – second way
In coils of the second type, the dividing face is solid. On both sides of it are located through the recesses, which are designed for winding new fishing line.
HTo install a cord on such a head, the operator must act in the following order;
- The previously prepared 6-meter piece of the cord must be bent exactly in half and cut. After that, the operator should get 2 identical pieces of fishing line;
- Then at the end of each of the pieces you will need to make a small hook;
- Next, the hook of one of the piece of fishing line for the trimmer will need to be inserted into the hole located in the upper part of the head;
- After that, you can start winding the cord. This is done strictly in the order indicated by the arrow on the spool. The cord used must be wound evenly on top of the coil. As a result, approximately 15 cm of cord should remain free;
- The remaining end of the fishing line will need to be fixed in the recess of the upper part of the spool;
- In the same way, you need to wind the second piece of cord on the bottom of the trimmer mowing head.
This method is suitable for all types of cords, including homemade fishing line from a plastic bottle.