How to Insert a Fishing Line into a Trimmer Coil
The speed of the electric and lawn mowers is largely affected by the quality of the fishing line. The consumption of the cord itself, as well as the load that affects the engine, depends on how correctly it is wound on the mower coil. In this regard, each gardener needs to carefully study the rules for the selection and self-installation of fishing line on a reel. This will prevent premature breakage of the spit and make its operation on the garden plot more convenient and efficient.
Which fishing line for trimmer is better?
When choosing a fishing line you need to consider several of its parameters.
The list of the main characteristics of the cutting cord includes:
- Fishing line thickness. The most common threads on the market are threads whose thickness is in the range 1.2–4 mm. A thin cord, with a thickness of not more than 1.6 mm, is intended for trimmers whose power does not exceed 0.8 l. From. Most often, this cord is used in cases where the farm has a low-power electric scythe with fishing line and knife. Cords with a diameter of up to 2 mm to 2.6 mm are used for trimmers with a capacity of 1 to 1.8 liters. From. These fishing lines are able to successfully remove not only freshly grown, but also quite old dried vegetation. Thick fishing lines, with a diameter of 3 mm or more, are intended for use with petrol scythes with a capacity of at least 3 liters. From. Cord with this thickness shows itself well when mowing large and dense wild vegetation;
- Trimmer cord shape. A lot depends on this factor, since when mowing grass, the thread does not cut the stems, but repeatedly hits them. It is the shape of the thread that affects the speed of mowing the grass and the accuracy of the cut line. Most often in the market you can find round fishing lines. This cord is suitable for mowing any kind of vegetation. A little less often on the market there is a square thread. It copes best with the removal of large hard stems, and is often used to mow wild shrubs. There is also a fishing line star on the market. It stands out for its low morbidity for grass, so it is best used for caring for decorative natural lawns;
- Material. In most cases, manufacturers use nylon, polypropylene and polyamide to produce cutting cord. Cheaper trimmer cords are made of nylon with polyethylene additives, which significantly reduces the resistance of the thread to wear and temperature.
Also, when choosing a cord, you need to take into account the type of equipment that will be used to work on the site. If the farm uses electric trimmers with fishing line and knife, then it is best to equip them with thin round cords that create a minimum load on the electric motor. If a powerful brushcutter is used to care for the site, then to work with it you can confidently use a thread with any thickness and cross section, including home-made fishing lines from a plastic bottle. The load on the gasoline engine, in these cases, will be almost imperceptible.
How to insert a fishing line into the trimmer?
Threading a mowing coil with a cutting thread for a trimmer is not a difficult task, however, beginning gardeners will have to work out a bit to be able to quickly insert the cord into an existing household trimmer.
There are several ways to refuel the trimmer head. The first method is the simplest, and is well suited for beginner gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the coil in the following sequence:
- First, you need to rewind about 6 m of fishing line for the trimmer from the common spool, and then cut the resulting segment in half. The result should be 2 threads, each 3 m long;
- Then, at one end of the first segment, you will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the upper part of the spool;
- Next, you need to start winding the fishing line on the spool in the direction indicated by the arrow. During winding, you need to make sure that the fishing line evenly lies on the surface of the spool, and does not go beyond its upper section. It is not necessary to wind up the segment to the end, about 15 cm of thread should remain in the hands;
- The remaining free end of the wound cord will need to be inserted into one of the recesses located in the upper part of the spool;
- Further, the same procedure will need to be done with the second piece of fishing line. It will need to be wound on the lower section of the spool;
- As in the first case, you do not need to wind the line onto the lower section to the end. The remaining piece of thread will need to be inserted into the second groove of the spool.
After the operation, the coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and start it. To check the reliability of the thread fastening, you will need to press the throttle lever all the way so that the engine reaches maximum speed. If the fishing line does not fly out of the head, it means that the fishing line is held securely and during grass mowing it will not fly out of the mowing reel.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel?
The second method is a bit more difficult to do it yourself.
You need to wind the cord for the trimmer in the following order:
- First, you need to cut off from the total amount of about 6 m of cord, and bend it. In this case, one of the parts should be slightly larger than the second;
- Then the thread at the place where it was bent, you need to insert into the recess located on the dividing edge between the two sections of the spool. As a result, the first part of the segment should be in the upper, and the second. In the lower section of the spool;
- After that, you need to start winding the fishing line. This must be done in the direction of the arrow indicated on the bobbin case. During winding, the cord should not be entangled. The upper part of the segment should be carefully wound on the upper, and the lower. On the lower section of the spool. After this, two 15-centimeter segments of the cord should remain free;
- Next, the remaining ends will need to be inserted into the recesses located in the upper part of the spool;
- Then the fixed ends must be inserted into the through holes of the trimmer head.
In the end, you will need to connect all parts of the mowing head, and slightly pull out each of the ends of the fishing line. The finished coil will need to be installed on the trimmer and continue to work on the site.
How to thread fishing line into the trimmer coil?
The third method is suitable for refueling single-section mower coils.
All actions should be performed in the following order:
- First of all, you will need to disassemble the mowing head, after which you need to clean it from grass, small debris and the remains of the old cord;
- Next, you need to cut off from the total amount of about 10 m of new fishing line and bend it in half. As a result, one hand should hold both ends of the fishing line and the place of its bend;
- After that, you need to find a recess in the spool. In a single-section mowing head, it is located above or below. Near the recess should be an arrow that indicates in which direction to wind the cord;
- Then you need to start winding the fishing line. During installation, the line should not bend or hang. Otherwise, it will constantly jump out of the coil;
- After winding the cord in the hands of the operator, there must be 2 ends, 10-15 cm long;
- These ends must be threaded through holes located in the side walls of the upper part of the coil, opposite each other;
- After that, you need to assemble the coil. At the same time, its spring should precisely stand between two metal washers.
The finished single-section coil will need to be installed on the household trimmer, after which it will be possible to continue mowing vegetation on the site.