How to Install a Canvas in a Hacksaw
Canvas for hacksaw for metal. What you need to know when choosing?
A blade for a hacksaw for metal is one of those parts that quickly become unusable and require frequent replacement. However, knowing the subtleties of choosing a product, you can ensure a long and high-quality work!
Universal saw. Hacksaws for all occasions
Even an ordinary, at first glance, a hacksaw can cause confusion among the average consumer; on the shelves he will find many different tools! To simplify the selection, we list three main types of tools into which, depending on the purpose, they are divided:
- Hacksaws for metal. A narrow saw with thin teeth. It has a characteristic recognizable appearance, mainly a C-shaped or U-shaped frame, between the ends of which a stretch is attached to the canvas. Old hacksaw models often have a handle that runs parallel to the blade, modern products are equipped with a much more ergonomic “pistol” handle.
- A wood hacksaw is a classic carpentry tool used for sawing wooden building materials, as well as plywood sheets. As a rule, carpentry hacksaws have a wide beveled working part, on the edge of which cutting teeth are located. The teeth are divided alternately left and right to facilitate cutting. At the same time, straight teeth in some models help remove chips from the cut line.
- The hacksaw on concrete looks similar to the device of a carpentry saw, with the difference that the first tool has larger teeth. Quite often, they have hard metal alloys, so this tool can be used to saw foam blocks and sand concrete structures.
The quality of the tool is determined by the following indicators:
- Web length. Depending on the size of the workpiece, the corresponding tool is also selected. On average, the length of the working part ranges from 300-700 mm.
- Teeth pitch. This indicator determines the thickness and hardness of the materials with which the tool is able to cope. For example, a pitch of 3.5 mm is suitable for sawing wooden materials from soft woods; five-millimeter hacksaws work with hardwoods.
Hacksaw. Cut steel in slippers!
With the advent of hacksaws for metal, working with various metal products has become much easier. Even at home, in your garage or workshop, you can saw off the desired piece of reinforcement or thick wire.
And even the appearance of mechanical analogs did not affect the popularity of hand tools: firstly, the cost is affordable for almost any master, secondly, high precision is achieved in the process, thirdly, the tool is almost impossible to break, and fourthly, the independence of the product from the mains makes it indispensable in the field.
Modern hacksaws differ not only in their “pistol grip”. Manufacturers come up with and improve blade fastener systems. The threaded clamp, which is present in all old models, is gradually replaced by a lever mechanism, due to which the installation of the blade is several times faster. True, they are more expensive than hacksaw with a “lamb”.
However, the design features by and large affect only the ease of maintenance of the tool, the quality of the cut and the speed of the work depends, first of all, on removable hacksaw blades. There are plenty of them on sale, you can find the product on any wallet and any purpose.
The cost of the blades depends on the alloy from which they are made and the number of teeth per inch. Basically, there are parts made of red-hot steel and bimetallic products.
The disadvantage of hardened steel is its fragility, which is why products, although they are cheaper, they break more often, while bimetallic ones boast good flexibility and hardness, which is why they cost more.
Choosing a Hacksaw for Metal. Don’t Overpay!
Even the choice of such a simple tool as a hacksaw for metal, you should approach the knowledgeable.
Remember that the seller’s task is to sell the most expensive instrument possible, the capabilities of which you will use by almost 10%.
Use the rule of the middle ground. Avoid absolutely budget models and do not buy the most expensive ones. The tool should be practical, provide for the ability to work at different angles and with different canvases.
The popularity of some models is due to the ability to work with canvases of any length, and this is indeed a very successful move. Also pay attention to the ability to change the angle of the canvas in the frame itself. This function allows you to work with metals even in hard to reach places.
Take the tool in your hands, grasp the handle with your palm. The palm should completely cover the handle, while the fingers should not interfere with each other and should not rest on the parts. Avoid hollow handles. A little passing, you will break the tool.
The product should not be loose, all parts are fitted and create a feeling of reliability.
Hacksaw blade for metal. The choice based on knowledge!
When buying a canvas, pay attention, first of all, to its appearance. Even the smallest flaws can affect its work. Avoid canvases with traces of corrosion, cracks, roughness.
The ideal canvas should be smooth, clean, with even teeth, and when bent, instantly restore its original shape. The more teeth per inch, the faster you can cut a part.
So, there are canvases with 18 and 24 teeth per inch, most often they are bought for the home, but 32 teeth per inch is the lot of professionals.
Avoid buying black goods. They are enough for several visits, then crumbling teeth make work impossible. Red-hot products, although not very flexible, are much more convenient to work with.
In appearance, they look like a nickel-plated strip of metal made of stainless steel with dark teeth. It is precisely by the color of the teeth that it is easiest to guess about their hardening. Bimetallic canvases are usually painted in some colors, and although they cost more, they will last much longer.
After choosing the right material, make sure that the length of the product matches the length of the hacksaw.
Using the tool. Patience and work will grind everything!
Hacksaw for metal does not require any special skills in operation. You will only have to monitor the condition of the canvas and change it in a timely manner. By the way, due to its small teeth, the tool is suitable for working not only with metal; it will also show excellent performance in cutting polystyrene, plastic, chipboard, PVC, laminate and even ceramics and plexiglass. In this case, the edges of the cut will be quite smooth.
The biggest difficulty that beginners encounter in the process of cutting metal and other materials with a hacksaw is the flicking of the blade from side to side.
If this happens, check the condition of the fasteners. Wagging may mean that the lamb is not tightened enough. By the way, you should not rely on the effort of only one hand. Use at least pliers to increase pressure.
Unlike a carpentry hacksaw, you won’t be able to sharpen the sheet after it is dull, you just have to replace it with a new one.
You can find the optimum tension only by experience. The hacksaw blade should lie on the part during operation. You need to work at an angle of up to 45 °. So you get less vibration and noise, and the cut will be even.
During the first movements, the canvas should not be pressed. Excess power is useless here, the canvas will only begin to slide in different directions. Increase the pressure when moving forward, when you return the saw to its original state, do not use any pressure at all.
And already when the canvas cuts a good edge, you can work at full strength.
Hacksaw blade: the choice for the processed materials and their classification (105 photos)
When cutting material, we use various types of hacksaws. The most important component on which the quality of work depends is the canvas. It provides the result, but at the same time it is most affected, which leads to frequent breakdowns. How to choose the right blade for the hacksaw and what to pay attention to, we will talk in this article.
The choice of canvas for the processed material
You can saw a wide variety of materials. Wood, metal, drywall, plastic, etc. For blanks of various types, the following applies:
Hacksaw blade for metal. Made of durable materials, depends on the factor of tensile strength of the sawed workpiece. On the plate itself, the teeth can be bred according to the principle “tooth through tooth” or “two adjacent through one”.
Joiner’s hacksaws have an extended beveled work surface. Teeth are fixed on the edge, which are alternately bred in different directions. The presence of straight teeth is associated with the ability to eliminate chips during operation.
Canvas for concrete. Resembles a carpentry tool. However, the teeth here are larger and have solders made of metal of a solid structure.
Hacksaw blade classification for metal
Such a product is easy to determine by the presence at the edges of two holes for mounting on the base. Despite the fact that such a strip is narrow enough, its strength is not in doubt, although replacement is periodically required.
Cloths can be intended for use as part of a hand tool or for mounting on mechanical units. In this case, the type of tool affects the overall characteristics of the interchangeable cutting equipment.
Its length in mechanical tools can be in the range of 250-300 mm, and the width is 12-25 mm. The thickness of the hacksaw blade in mechanical devices varies between 0.63-1.25 mm.
But in electric-type units, cutting inserts are installed more than 150 mm in length and not more than 55 mm in width. Tooling thickness 1.25-2.5 mm.
Durable material must be used for the production of paintings. That is why the choice fell on steel. But its type may vary:
Hcs carbon steel products are used to process non-ferrous and softer metals. Such canvases are characterized by low strength compared to other analogues.
Hss blades are characterized by a high level of wear resistance of the teeth. However, such a tool will be expensive, and the tooth plate itself will be brittle.
Products of bimetallic type BIM. The hacksaw blade steel is carbon, but a strip of quick cutting material is mounted on top to strengthen the tooth structure.
Hm alloy steel. Used both for metal processing and for cutting concrete or brick.
Hacksaw tooth sizes
The size of the teeth in the hacksaws of this type is 2-2.5 mm. This characteristic must be taken into account when buying, paying attention to the marking.
In the international classification standards, another type of marking is used, indicated as PPI or TPI. It is customary to determine the number of teeth per 1 inch of the blade. With a higher value of this parameter, the blade is equipped with smaller teeth.
According to the requirements of GOST hacksaw blades, plates for sawing of various types are produced. Depending on the ratio between the tooth pitch in mm and their number, two options are distinguished:
- For single paintings up to 265 mm long, models 0.80 / 32, 1.00 / 24 and 1.25 / 20 are possible;
- For single and double plates up to 315 mm long, sizes 1.40 / 18 and 1.60 / 16 are provided.
How to install the snap
If a threaded fastener is provided in the hand hacksaw, then it is necessary to stretch the canvas between the borders of the base and fix it on the holes with a nut with a wing.
The plate must be fixed so that the teeth are directed to the edge opposite the handle. In this case, moving forward means removing the metal layer, and moving back to yourself is idle. In the latter case, no effort should be made.
When using an electric tool, the process of replacing the blade will be approximately the same:
- Rotate the holder head in the direction against the arrow until the slot comes out;
- Remove the blade from the tool;
- Install a new snap-in and press until it clicks, indicating the slot mounting.
Features of plate selection
Before you install a new snap-in tool, you need to understand which canvas to choose for a specific purpose of use.
But there are general rules:
- The canvas must be intact, free from defects, chips, rust;
- The file must be checked for elasticity. High-quality equipment after bending comes to its original state;
- The number of teeth determines the speed of work. If you need to cut a workpiece quickly, choose a plate with a large number of them;
- strong and durable are red-hot iron and bimetallic products;
- For the specific parameters of the hacksaw, the length of the product corresponding to the marking should be chosen;
- High-quality equipment can not be too cheap, but it is not worth it and overpay for it.
For high-quality and efficient work when sawing metal, you need to choose a strong and reliable hacksaw blade. At the same time, one should not only choose it correctly, but also follow the rules of operation and storage. A regular change of equipment will help you keep the tool operational for a long period of time.
Hacksaw blade photo
Manual hacksaw for metal: basic characteristics, selection criteria for a quality tool
Hacksaw, designed to work with metal alloys, is a device that is available in the arsenal of many owners. Without this tool, it is difficult to imagine the performance of a large number of household work.
Currently, the assortment of this variety of saws is very wide, and, as a rule, there are no difficulties when choosing a device. The main thing is to take into account some parameters and characteristics of metal saws.
In the market, hacksaws for metal are available in two versions. Electric and hand tool. The manual solution can be used for any job, as this hacksaw is very compact and light. The advantages also include its low cost. Only disadvantage. Significant effort and time in the process.
Varieties and areas of use of the tool
The purpose of this tool is considered to be cutting products made of strong metals, cutting grooves and seams, cutting metal blanks, etc. In addition, using a hacksaw you can cut metal alloys, and, for example, ceramics, plastic, polystyrene, wood and organics.
There are three varieties of metal saws:
- Models for home use. The most affordable and popular option, suitable for solving simple homework tasks. It is characterized by ease of use. In most cases, such devices are equipped with screws and a wooden handle, which is located longitudinally to the cutting blade.
- Professional hacksaws. Can work for a very long time, creating high-quality cuts. Professional hand saws for metal are often equipped with a convenient and durable handle and allow you to set the blade at a certain angle, which is required to create cuts of an unusual shape.
- “A pen”. Has a special shape resembling a bracket. This allows you to use this kind of hacksaw in hard to reach places. Such a tool is perfect for internal cuts.
The tool has a fairly simple design. Manual models resemble a bracket, between the ends of which a stretched canvas is fixed. The tool includes a frame and a blade with teeth.
Each of the elements of the tool has its own characteristics and characteristics:
- The handle is very important in the process. This applies to convenience during long-term operation. The best grip options are two-component, equipped with special inserts made of soft but durable rubber. The handle is located on top or side of the hacksaw.
- Frame securing saw blade. It can be made from different materials. For cutting solid products, a frame of high-strength composites is used. The design of this element is directly dependent on the conditions of its use. So, if you regularly have to saw metal in hard-to-reach places, it is better to purchase a device with adjustable tilt of the cutting blades or a small frame.
- The canvas is a thin steel tape. This is the thinnest and most fragile element of the instrument. Therefore, in the process, you need to be as careful and accurate as possible with fasteners. Sloppy will cause damage to the canvas. Wedge-shaped incisors (denticles) are located on this part. When choosing a saw, you should pay attention to whether the teeth of the cutting blade were hardened, which allows to increase the service life and performance indicators of the tool. For cutting hard metal products, blades with small teeth are used, while soft structures are processed with large cutters. It is recommended to take bimetallic or red-hot options. The canvases are installed in the frame so that the teeth are in the opposite direction from the handle.
How to work with a manual hacksaw
Working with a hand saw for processing metal alloys does not require special knowledge and skills. But there are certain rules:
- Do not forget about the importance of the correct positioning of the torso of the master relative to the cut sites. The arm should be bent at right angles, and the feet slightly deployed. So you can increase stability.
- Before installing the cutting blade, it must be spread across the width of the frame. Then the element is fixed with nuts. Proper fastening of the canvas makes it possible to avoid all kinds of vibrations during operation. But excessive fixation often breaks this part. It is better to adjust the tension with the very first tightening of the nuts.
- When cutting, the tool must be held with both hands. The movements should be uniform and calm.
- The workpiece to be processed is recommended to be fixed with a special vice. This minimizes the likelihood of damage to the cutting blade.
Criterias of choice
So, you need to select a tool, guided by the following characteristics:
- The shape of the teeth. Varies depending on the inclination of the front cutting element.
- Teeth pitch. The characteristic determines the thickness and strength of the materials with which the tool can work. The choice depends on the size and material of the workpiece. When working, two to three cloves should be involved.
- The size of the blade. Depends on the size and volume of the workpieces. The average length of the saw blade varies from 290 to 700 millimeters. The canvas must be flat, clean and keep its original shape. There should not be any cracks or traces of rust on the surface.
- Handle. Try to avoid hollow variations. Such a tool may break even with slight pressure. When choosing, hold the device in your own hands. The palm should fit the handle tightly.
- Price. The cost of a saw for processing metal products depends on the material and type of blade, as well as on the configuration of the cloves. It is undesirable to choose too cheap models, as well as to follow eminent brands.
Having chosen a good hacksaw, do not forget to timely replace the sawing blades and correctly use the tool.
Hacksaw is a hand tool that is used to cut profile metal and pipes. The simplest hacksaw for metal consists of a machine tool and a hacksaw blade.
The machine, in turn, consists of a frame into which, on the one hand, a handle is inserted that has a device for fixing the web, and on the other hand, a device for fixing and adjusting the web tension.
How to Install a Canvas in a Hacksaw
The tensioning device, on the one hand, has a groove for inserting and fixing the web, and on the other hand, a screw with a ram which is used to tension the web.
The hacksaw blades for metal differ from each other in width, long, thickness, distance between the teeth and their height. The use of a particular blade depends on the thickness, hardness and shape of the material to be cut.
Manufacturers of paintings made sure that you could pick up a canvas just for the material that you need to cut, whether it be aluminum, copper, bronze or even plastic.
The dimensions of the blade, namely the length, width, dimensions of the teeth and the grade of steel, can be found on the hacksaw blade purchased.
How to set the blade in a hacksaw for metal?
As shown in the first picture of the article: the teeth are down (if the blade is one-sided) and the teeth are directed forward from the handle. When you saw, you apply pressure down and forward. The hacksaw teeth should be directed in the same way, down and forward.
To install, loosen the tension screw, remove the old canvas from the pins, put on a new one and tighten it so that the canvas rings like a string from the click of a fingernail. The main thing here is not to overdo it and not break the canvas.
Empirically, you will find the optimum tension.
The tension is made using a ram on the adjusting device, that is, spinning the ram you will pull the canvas. So when pulling a hacksaw blade you need to find a middle ground. Also, make sure that the blade is installed evenly, without distortions, as the distortion will result in uneven cuts during cutting.
How to cut?
Since you were interested in the question of installing the blade, then the advice on how to use a hacksaw for metal would not hurt. Grasp with one hand (right, if you are right-handed or left, if left-handed) by the hacksaw handle, with the other. By the vertical edge of the hacksaw arc opposite to the handle. Place the blade on the cut line.
Guide the blade exactly in the direction of the cut line. Make the angle of the hacksaw small. The canvas should almost lie on the part, usually at an angle of 30-45 degrees. So there will be less vibration, noise and a smoother cut line. Cutting across the material, with an angle of 90 degrees, is only necessary in emergency cases, for example, when turning the cut line.
The smoother you need the cut line, the smaller the angle.
The first movements need to be done with little effort so that the blade crashes into the material and does not slip away from the cutting line. Making smooth movements, strictly progressively, press the hacksaw to the part when moving forward and weaken the pressure when returning to its original state. When the canvas clings to the material. You can work at full strength.
The range of motion is maximum, from the edge of the blade to the edge, without hitting the part with an arc of a hacksaw. No need to “stomp on the spot”. So you quickly erase the canvas in one area and have to throw it away, because it is impossible to use a flawed canvas.
Keep the hacksaw arc straight, do not let it bow in different directions. The direction of cutting corresponds to the plane of the hacksaw’s arc, therefore, chatter here is contraindicated. In addition, the blade breaks easily with sharp jerking jigsaws to the side.
The properties of the web material are such that it holds the longitudinal tensile force very well, but is very brittle to bend.
Cut with a hacksaw along a curved line.
A hacksaw for metal is also valuable in that it allows you to cut in almost any curved line. In order to cut along an arc without stopping translational movements with a hacksaw, align it perpendicular to the end face of the material of the part (i.E.
Angle of inclination 90 degrees) and gradually smoothly turn the hacksaw arc so that the blade follows the intended line. Yes, it is always necessary to mark the cut line with anything. With a pencil, marker, scratch with a nail. The main thing is to see it when you work.
Turning the canvas should be done as gently and smoothly as possible, otherwise it will break; turns are extreme for a hacksaw blade for metal.
If you need to make a sharp turn, say, by 90 degrees, you will have to practically “stomp on the spot”, continuing to saw and smoothly turn the hacksaw arc, periodically stepping back so as not to go far from the turning point, using the other side of the material to turn the canvas which is external to the part.
To cut the inner corner, you first need to drill a straight line with a thin drill slightly longer than the width of the blade, thread the blade into this groove and cut further with a hacksaw. In general, practice will show how this is done. Nothing complicated here.
The figure below shows another way to use a hacksaw for metal. For this method, you need to reinstall the canvas by rotating it 90 degrees.
Hacksaw blades for metal
Manual hacksaw 150 mm: choice, the nuances of work
Every home craftsman who has to regularly perform housework must have in his arsenal such a useful tool as a hacksaw for metal.
At first glance, it may seem that she does not need it, but this is not so. If you think about it, then a hacksaw can be used to saw not only metal, but also other materials.
This feature turns it into a universal tool.
Today on the market there are a large number of varieties of hacksaws for metal, so choosing the most suitable model is not difficult. It is only necessary to consider the characteristics of the tool when choosing the appropriate option.
Manufacturers produce two types of this construction tool. Hand and electric hacksaws.
The first option is suitable for use in any conditions, because it has such important advantages as low weight and mobility. Another important advantage of a hacksaw is its affordable price.
Of the shortcomings, we can only note that working with this tool requires a lot of time and physical effort.
Types and scope of the tool
Hand hacksaws are used for cutting metal products, cutting seams and grooves, cutting workpieces along contours, etc. With this tool you can cut, in addition to metal, a lot of other materials: wood, organic glass, plastic, ceramic and polystyrene.
- Home models. The most popular type of tool with which you can perform simple tasks in fairly comfortable conditions. Hacksaws designed for domestic use often have additional screw tensioning devices that are installed longitudinally to the blade.
- Professional models. They are used mainly for performing longer work, as well as when it is necessary to perform precise cuts. Manufacturers install convenient rubberized handles on such hacksaws. Hacksaws of this type not only differ in ease of use due to the presence of a rubberized handle in them, but also allow you to saw products at an angle.
- Hacksaw. This type of tool is made in the form of a bracket and is used to perform work in hard-to-reach places. These hacksaws use equipment with a cantilever version of the arrangement, which is fixed only on one side. Due to the existing design features, these hacksaws support work even with broken off saw blades and can easily perform internal cuts.
Design features of hacksaws
This tool has a fairly simple device. The hand saw is made in the form of an arc of a C-shape, in which a blade is fixed between the edges. The basic elements that make up the hacksaw are a removable blade and a special holding frame. The main working unit is a blade with teeth. Each part of this tool has its own characteristics and features:
Lever. Gives inertia to the tool, allowing it to do the work of cutting the material. It is especially useful when you have to perform product processing for a long time.
It is best to choose hacksaws with two-component handles equipped with special rubber inserts. The tool handle can be fixed both on the side and in the upper part.
Models with a top handle are especially in demand when working in places with difficult access or where it is necessary to perform particularly labor-intensive operations.
Frame. An important working part of the tool necessary for attaching the blade. It can be made of different materials. For some models designed for cutting hard workpieces, the frame can be made of high strength composites. The design of the frame is determined by the operating conditions of the hacksaw.
If there is a task of cutting metal in hard-to-reach places, then a hacksaw is selected with the ability to select the angle of inclination of the blade or a short frame. Depending on the design, the frame can be solid and sliding. Most preferred models with sliding frames, because their design allows you to fix hacksaw blades.
Canvas. It has the appearance of a thin tape made of hard steel. The most fragile and delicate element of the instrument. This requires the master to be extremely careful and attentive. It is also important to verify the reliability of the fasteners before starting work. Otherwise, with a sharp jerk, the canvas may break.
The edge of the blade contains wedge-shaped teeth. When choosing a hacksaw, it is necessary to pay attention to such an important characteristic as the presence of hardening of the teeth of the blade. This will ensure a longer tool life and increase its productivity when sawing hard materials with a high degree of rigidity.
If you need to cut metal products with a rigid base, then usually use blades with small teeth. For soft workpieces choose cloths with large incisors.
Most preferred are bimetallic, which can be painted in different colors, or red-hot, made of nickel-plated stainless steel. Particular attention should be paid to the correct fixing of the canvas in the frame.
This must be done so that the teeth are located in the direction opposite to the handle.
From the design of a manual hacksaw for metal (GOST defines all its main parameters) depends only on its ease of use. As for the other characteristics. Cut speed and quality of cuts, they depend on the type of hacksaw blade used.
The scheme of work with a hacksaw
The hacksaw is not only universal, but also easy to use tool, which you can start working with without preliminary preparation. But it is necessary to observe a number of important rules:
- Particular attention should be paid to the correct location of the body of the master in relation to the places of cut. At the time of sawing, the arm should be bent at the right angle at the elbow, and the feet should be slightly deployed to increase stability.
- Before you fix the hacksaw blade in the frame, you need to push it along the width of the blade. After it is in place, it is finally fixed with nuts to create the necessary tension. With proper mounting of the web, various kinds of vibrations can be avoided. However, it is important not to go too far. If the canvas is fixed too tightly, then it can break quickly during operation. To properly set the degree of web fixation, nuts are used.
- In the process of cutting, the tool is held with two hands. Hacksaw movements should be uniform and calm, without sharp jerks. When the hacksaw moves forward, it is important to press it against the workpiece as hard as possible, and when returning to its original position, the pressure on the tool must be reduced.
- Before cutting the workpiece, the latter must first be fixed in a special vice. This will reduce the risk of damage to the blade and damage to the processed product.
Choose the right one
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a hacksaw for metal 150 mm, it is necessary when studying different models to pay attention to the following parameters:
- Tooth shape. Depends on the level of inclination of the cutting edge located in front of the part and usually ranges from 0 to 10 degrees.
- Tooth pitch. A characteristic that affects the degree of hardness and thickness of the material with which the tool can work. Measured by the number of teeth per inch of cutting blade. When choosing a step, you need to look at the type of material and the dimensions of the workpiece. It is very important that only 2-3 teeth act on the workpiece during sawing. To comply with this condition, you need to cut at an acute angle. The more teeth the working blade has, the less time it takes to cut the product.
- Blade length. Here it is necessary to pay attention to the volume and size of the workpiece. On average, a hacksaw blade may have a length index in the range of 300 to 700 mm. For the blade, it is important to have even teeth and a clean, even surface. During bending, the surface of the web should immediately restore its original shape. For a hacksaw blade, the presence of signs of corrosion or cracks is unacceptable.
- A pen. Hacksaw models that are equipped with solid body types of handles are most preferred. When working with hollow handles, even a slight pressure will be enough for the tool to fail. Choosing a hacksaw, you need to take it in hand. If the tool is good, then the palm will completely cover the handle and fingers will not cross and interfere with each other.
- Price. This parameter is influenced by factors such as the number of teeth, the type of blade and the material of manufacture. Experts do not recommend choosing too budget models. At the same time, buying an instrument of well-known trade brands may not always be the right decision.
After you select the model of a mini hacksaw for metal suitable for your needs and buy it, regularly look after it. Monitor the condition of the paintings and change them if necessary. Also observe the rules for working with the tool when sawing various materials. This will help ensure its high performance over time.
The best mechanical models
Topex 10A 130
- Compact sizes (515 × 130 × 35 mm);
- Available consumables;
- Light weight. 700 g;
- The possibility of rotation of the cutting blade;
- Cost up to 500 p.
This model of a mechanical hacksaw can be noted only one serious drawback. Due to the rapid wear of the file for work you will have to buy quite often.
However, in general, this is a rather high-performance tool, in which the manufacturer provides the ability to change the position of the blade and has an ergonomic handle.
All this provides the necessary conditions for comfortable and safe work.
- Allows you to perform sawing even in hard to reach places;
- Small dimensions (340 × 100 × 25 mm);
- Low weight. 260 g;
- The design includes fixing screws for the blade, increasing the cutting ability of the tool;
- The use of a durable Sandflex blade provides the hacksaw with improved cutting accuracy;
- The cost of about 900 p.
The main disadvantage of this model is the inability to rotate the canvas. Unlike cheap counterparts, this sawing tool is equipped with a bimetallic hardened blade, which due to the increased resource does not have to be changed often. This is what determines the higher price for this tool.
A mechanical hacksaw for metal is a very useful tool for any craftsman. With it, you can perform a wide range of work. Over, the possibilities of its application are not limited only to sawing metal billets. It can also be used to create a cut in other materials. Wood, ceramics, plastic, PVC, etc.
But like any other tool, a hand saw for metal has its own characteristics, which must be taken into account in the process of its selection. This is especially important for home masters who have to perform work of low complexity.
But in any case, everyone wants to get a reliable and easy-to-use tool. Therefore, when choosing a hacksaw for metal, the price should not be the main criterion.
It is necessary to pay attention to the blade, which is the main working unit of the hacksaw, and the handle.
How quickly the master will get tired in the process of work and how much time it may take him to cut in the product depends on the version of the latter.
Hacksaw for metal. Canvas for hacksaw for metal:
Saw (hand saw for metal). A tool whose purpose is to cut thick sheets of profile, round and strip metal and to cut groins, splines, cutting / trimming workpieces along the contour, as well as other works.
The hand-held hacksaw includes a hacksaw blade and a frame (machine). At one end of the frame is a fixed head with a handle and a shank. And on the other. A movable head with a nut for web tension and a tension screw.
In the heads, the hacksaw for metal has slots: a hacksaw blade is inserted into them, attached with the help of pins.
Frames for hacksaws are made sliding, which allow you to fix the blade of different lengths, and one-piece.
To extend the hacksaw, it is necessary to bend the knee until the rivet is removed from the cutout, and then shifted. The rivet is inserted into another notch, then the knees are straightened.
A machine having a mobile holder includes a square with a handle. On it you can fix and move the holder in the desired direction.
Canvas for hacksaw for metal: what is it?
Hacksaw blade. A narrow and thin steel plate with 2 holes and with teeth on one edge. Cloths can be made of steel of the following grades: X6VF, P9, U10A, the hardness of which is HRC 61-64. Depending on their purpose, the canvases can be machine and manual. They are inserted into the frame with the teeth forward.
The length (size) of the hacksaw blade can be determined by the distance available between the centers of the holes allotted for the pins. Hacksaw blades are almost always used, designed for hand hacksaws with a thickness h. 0.8 and 0.65 mm, a height L. 16 and 13 mm, a length L. 250-300 mm.
The work of the hacksaw blade differs in the working conditions of the cutter itself, for this reason there are other values of the angles.
When cutting metal with a large width, it is possible to obtain cuts of considerable length: each tooth of the blade will remove chips, which should fill the chip space until the tip of the tooth comes out completely from the cut. The amount of chip space will depend on the step S of the tooth, the front angle Y and the rear angle A.
Depending on the degree of hardness of the metal being machined, the rake angle available on the hacksaw blade can be negative, positive and zero.
The cutting efficiency of a blade having a zero rake angle will be lower than that for which the rake angle is greater than 0 °.
To cut harder materials, use canvases, the angle of sharpening of the teeth of which is greater. And for the purpose of cutting soft, this indicator should be less. Wear-resistant are paintings with a larger angle of sharpening.
The required number of teeth of a hacksaw blade for different metals
For the purpose of cutting metals, in most cases, hacksaw blades are used, the pitch of which is 1.3-1.6 mm, and on a length of 25 mm there are 17-20 teeth.
The thicker the cut workpiece, the teeth should be larger, and on the contrary, the thinner the workpiece, the smaller the teeth of the hacksaw blade.
For metals of different hardness, canvases with such a number of teeth are used: angular, strip and hard steel. 22, tool steel, cast iron. 22, hardened steel of medium hardness. 19, mild metals. 16.
300mm metal hacksaw: working with tools
In the case of cutting with a hand hacksaw, at least 2-3 teeth should be used during operation (simultaneous cutting of metal). To avoid pinching (seizing) in the metal of the hacksaw blade, the teeth must be parted.
Tooth set-up is performed so that the width of the cut, which was done with a hacksaw, was slightly greater than the thickness of the blade itself. This can prevent jamming in the section of the canvas and greatly facilitates the process.
Hacksaw blades having a tooth pitch of 0.8 mm (a 1 mm pitch is also permissible) should have a wavy tooth layout, i.E., every 2 adjacent teeth should be bent in opposite directions by about 0.25-0.6 mm.
A blade for a hacksaw for metal, having a tooth pitch of more than 0.8, is bent along the tooth (the so-called corrugated bend). With such a divorce, 2-3 teeth are moved to the left and 2-3. To the right. With an average step, one tooth is taken to the left, the second is not taken, the third is to the right. With a large step, one tooth is removed to the right, and the second to the left. Tooth wiring is appropriate for paintings with a pitch of 1.6 and 1.25 mm.
It is necessary that the wiring of the hacksaw blade be completed at a distance from the end of no more than 30 mm.
Preparation for work
Before starting work with a hacksaw (a hacksaw), it is necessary to firmly fix the processed material in a vice. The degree of fastening of the material in them should correspond to the growth of the employee. After that, a hacksaw blade is selected in accordance with the size, shape and hardness of the metal being cut.
If the rafters are long, then hacksaw blades having a large tooth pitch are taken, in the case of short ones, a fine tooth pitch should be used.
A hacksaw for metal (photo above) is installed in the slot of the head so that the teeth are not directed to the handle.
However, initially the end of the web is inserted into the fixed head, after which the position is fixed using the pin tab, and then the second end of the web is placed in the slot of the pin, secured with a pin.
The canvas is pulled by hand without much effort (the use of a vice, pliers is unacceptable) by rotation of the wing nut. A 300 mm hacksaw is kept away from the face.
If the skew is slightly skewed, the tightly stretched fabric and with increased pressure, the slightly stretched fabric causes an excess, and a kink can occur. The degree of tension of the web should be checked by lightly pressing a finger on the side of the web: the tension is sufficient if the web does not bend at all.
During metal cutting using a manual hacksaw, the vice becomes steadily, freely and straight, half-turn with respect to the axis of the workpiece or vice lips.
The left leg is slightly advanced forward approximately along the line of the workpiece and rested on her body.
The feet should be placed so that they form an angle of 60-70 degrees (there should be a certain distance between the heels).
Hand position (grip)
It is possible to consider the worker’s position to be correct if the right hand with a hacksaw, which is set in its original position (on the jaws of a vice), bent at the elbow, will form a right angle between the elbow and shoulder parts of the hand.
The handle must be grabbed with the right hand so that the handle rests against the palm of your hand. It is wrapped around 4 fingers, and the thumb should be placed along the handle on top. The fingers of the left hand should grab the movable head of the hacksaw and nut.
During cutting with a hacksaw, like filing, strict coordination of efforts should be observed, which consists in the correct increase in manual pressure. The hacksaw should move strictly horizontally. The machine is pressed with both hands, however, the greatest effort is made with the left hand, and the reciprocating movement of the tool is mainly carried out with the right hand.
Cutting includes 2 moves:
They do not press the hacksaw at idle, as a result, the teeth only slide. And in the case of a working stroke with two hands, they provide light pressure, and the tool moves linearly.
Rules for working with a hacksaw
Follow these instructions when working with a hacksaw:
- Cutting short workpieces should be done on the widest side. In the case of processing of rolled channel, T-profiles and corner profiles, it is recommended to change the position of the workpiece, and not to carry out cutting on the narrow side.
- Hacksaw metal cutting should be carried out without jerking, smoothly, slowly, you need to do no more than 40-60 double strokes in 1 minute.
- All hacksaw blade should participate in the work.
A hacksaw handle for metal is the best helper if you need to cut metal in hard to reach places.
Hacksaw for metal. A selection of optimal models from leading manufacturers (85 photos)
This type of hacksaw is used for processing various metal blanks. It is very in demand in modern realities, with its help you can do a lot of things.
The right choice of hacksaw
Unlike a hacksaw for wood, the blade of a hacksaw for metal does not have such significant significance when choosing a particular model, since it is often replaced. It is worth paying attention to the mount with which you will change the canvas.
Also, be sure to check how the saw lies in your hand, you still have to work with this tool. The handle should lie comfortably in your hand and fit any size.
The blade tension nut is one of the main parts. It should be easy to unwind and twist so that you can easily change the canvas.
The canvas should go in all directions without difficulty, so that it would be more convenient for you to use the saw.
All hacksaws for metal are divided into two categories: simple and electric. In the first case, they can be called mechanical or manual. They are already divided into hand saws, professional and home.
Electric saws are divided into network saws (just plug them into an outlet) and cordless (they have a built-in battery that allows you to work somewhere in the field or on a site far from home).
Your task is to choose a hacksaw suitable for your specifics.
First of all, pay attention to what type of equipment you need. If you work not so often, about 1-2 times a day, then a classic household hacksaw will be enough for you.
Everything is simple here. The greater the power of the tool, the easier and more active the cutting will occur. Hacksaws with a power of 800 watts or more are recommended to be bought only by professionals who will use it in business every day.
Fixture of a cloth to the handle
Pay particular attention to the fastening of the canvas itself, because the canvas you will have to change quite often. The mount should be easily untwisted and twisted accordingly.
Comfort to use
Check this aspect more carefully, your hands should not flow when working with the tool for a long time. If the model of the hacksaw that you require involves the use of one hand, then pay attention to its weight, it should be minimal.
When choosing a tool, look what functions it has, they should bring even more convenience to your work.
Absolutely any tool you need to be able to choose, to know the main aspects when choosing, to have at least some idea of working with the tool.
Even while at home, you can take a look at the photos of various metal hacksaws and understand which one is required specifically for your needs.
Choosing a replacement blade for your hacksaw
Pay special attention to choosing a blade for a hacksaw, because even the smallest flaw can ruin your entire future work. It should be smooth, not have various cracks.
Also check the number of cloves per 1 inch or per TPI unit, because the more there are, the more active and better your work will go.
It is also recommended to look at the material of the canvas itself, it should be bimetal, or in another case, choose a red-hot canvas. Such blades will last much longer than usual, it remains only to make sure that this blade fits your hacksaw.
To use a manual mechanical hacksaw it is not necessary to be a specialist, the course of work is quite similar to an ordinary hacksaw for wood. Due to the very small teeth, this tool can be used not only in working with metal products, but it can also be used in working with chipboard, polystyrene and even ordinary wood.
This tool is one of the most versatile on the market, but working with the metal itself is not an easy task.
One of the most important problems is the constant replacement of the blade, as it quickly becomes unusable. Unfortunately, there is no way to sharpen such a hacksaw, but various tools can be made from used canvases.
At the moment, the market provides completely different models and types of hacksaws for metal, but each consumer seeks to choose a more convenient and high-quality tool for their work.
If you have a need to cut any small parts, then a mini hacksaw from Stanley is suitable for you, they produce high-quality and durable tools. The Stanley Mini Hacksaw is designed to work with small metal parts, and it does an excellent job of this.
The best models of hacksaws for metal are provided by the following brands:
Bahco. Offers us a model 208, the price range varies up to 900 rubles. The hacksaw produces high precision cutting, thanks to a particularly durable blade. It is quite light and compact, which is why it gained due popularity.
Bahco also has a representative on the metal hacksaw market in the form of the ERGO 325 model, which is gorgeous thanks to its long blade that allows you to work with any size material.
Like most hacksaws for metal, it has a removable blade. At the moment, this is the most expensive hacksaw of all of the above, its cost is about 2000 rubles.
Save the article to your page:
Join the discussion: