How to Install a Chain on an Electric Saw
The tire and the chain are the working “duet” of the electric saw, which is responsible for the efficiency and accuracy of sawing wood. The modern market is literally filled with all kinds of tire and chain models that are suitable for one or another purpose. How to choose suitable parts from the entire range of products? We will give answers to this and other questions together.
How to choose the right chain for the electric saw. We understand the details
In its importance, the chain is often put by experts on a par with the electric saw engine. Therefore, if you want to choose a suitable saw element, you should approach its selection with particular responsibility. To choose a chain for an electric saw, you should pay attention to such parameters:
- Compatibility with a power saw. In other words, you should choose the part that was released by the manufacturer of the tool itself. In this case, the risk of making a mistake and acquiring an unsuitable saw element is reduced to zero;
- Decide on the tasks of the chain. If you are looking for a saw element with high performance, then select the part in increments of 3/8 inch. If the electric saw is used only to solve simple domestic problems, then the optimal will be the purchase of a saw element, the chain pitch of which is 0.325 inches;
- Sharpening angle. This parameter is important for further repair, maintenance and restoration of the saw element. Productive chains have a sharpening angle of 30 °. Such saw elements are easier to accept high loads. However, for complex wood processing. If it is frozen or wet. You should stop on a chain with a sharpening angle of 10 °;
- The length of the saw element. Must match the length of the tire electric saw. Even if, over time, the chain stretches and sags, this problem can be solved by removing several links.
In addition to these parameters, the cutting method and material that can be processed should be taken into account. Be sure to keep in mind that for the purpose of longitudinal cutting, a chain with a small sharpening angle will be optimal. The performance of such a chain will be slightly less, however, its service life will increase significantly.
Features of choosing a tire for an electric saw
When buying a tire, the first thing you should pay attention to is the material from which it is made. If it is strong enough and reliable, then the part will serve for a long time and in good condition. In addition to the material, when choosing a tire, you need to study its following parameters:
- Shank. With its help, you can determine the correspondence of the tire with your model of electric saw. It’s all about the location of the tensioners of the electric saw and the holes for supplying oil to the chain. Most well-known brands produce branded shanks for their models of electric saws. At the same time, shanks from different companies can replace each other;
- Groove width. In today’s market you can choose tires with a groove width of 1.1 and 1.3 mm for low-power household electric saws, as well as 1.5 and 1.6 mm for more powerful electric saw models;
- The length of the tire of the electric saw. This parameter is one of the most important when choosing a part. To determine the length of the tire of the electric saw, you need to measure the distance between the extreme point of the toe of the tire and the gear. Most often, it is 12-20 inches. It all depends on the model of the electric saw. The longer the selected tire is, the larger the tree you can cut.
Properly selected and compatible bus, chain and power saws will allow you to work efficiently and quietly without the extra cost of money and time.
How to properly put a chain on an electric saw. A detailed algorithm
Choosing a saw element for your tool, you probably wondered how to put the chain on a power saw with your own hands. In fact, there is nothing complicated in this procedure. All that is required of you is to carefully study the specified algorithm and observe it when working.
To install the circuit on an electric saw, you need to act in this order:
- First you need to move the protective shield, while lowering the brake lever;
- Next, use a screwdriver to turn the tensioner and unscrew the nut. Thus, you loosen the tension of the old chain;
- Remove the cover and separate the tire with the chain from the sprocket;
- Then remove the old chain and install a new saw element in its place;
- After that, install the tire on the electric saw, and adjust the chain tension with the screw. Try to pull the new chain smoothly, avoiding jerking.
- Lower the brake lever and unscrew the nut;
- Remove the cover and push the tire back a little;
- Remove the old chain and install a new saw blade. In this case, the new chain is mounted first on the dismantled sprocket, and then along the entire length of the tire;
- After that, the sprocket must be replaced and the nut tightened.
At the end, it remains to turn the tension wheel in the direction shown by the arrow on the housing, and tighten the wing to the end.
How to sharpen a chain of electric saws with your own hands?
Many craftsmen sharpen the chain of the electric saw at the first symptoms of wear of its cutting teeth. However, using a specific tool for this procedure does not work. To work, you need to stock up on a whole set of special equipment. To do this, you will need:
- Flat file. It is needed to adjust the depth gauge;
- A round file having landmark lines;
- Mandrel. It will help in determining the angle.
Using a round file, be sure to protrude above the chain teeth by no more than 1/5 of its length. The first sharpened tooth of the chain needs to be marked with a marker, so as not to go in the second round.
Do-it-yourself sharpening the chain of the electric saw should be done with precise and rhythmic movements and only in one direction. After making a few sharpenings, proceed to the processing of the limiter. Over time, it wears out and loses its shape. When working, attach the gauge with the end side to the edge of the stopper. If the limiter greatly extends beyond the caliber, then it will have to be trimmed with a flat file. In this case, the gauge should be located strictly perpendicular to the tire of the electric saw.
Determine the result of sharpening the chain visually does not work. You can only find out if you did everything correctly when sawing wood.
How a chain is lubricated. A procedure for beginners
As a rule, the chain saw is lubricated using high-quality automotive oil. The only important point is that you should not use the used compounds, as they will only harm the garden tool.
Before adding oil, disconnect the power saw from the power supply. If the electric saw is equipped with an automatic oil supply system, the lubricant must be poured into a separate container of the tool, and then start work.
If you notice that the chain on the electric saw is not lubricated even if there is a large amount of oil in the tank, then first of all you will need to check the tool plunger pump. In most models, it is made of soft plastic, and the teeth on it very quickly become unusable. In such cases, replacing the part will be quite expensive, which is why many owners prefer to buy new electric saws.
If there is no such automatic lubrication system in the electric saw, the chain is lubricated in a completely different way. To do this, you need to dip the chain in oil, and then install it back on the electric saw. The chain lubrication must be plentiful, otherwise, due to lack of oil, the saw engine will be subjected to heavy loads.