How to install a spring on a STIHL starter motor
How to repair the starter on a chainsaw
Chain saw starter system malfunctions can be the cause:
- Drive pulley. This part is subjected to high axial and radial loads, so it is recommended to inspect the pulley for damage and cracks on the backside of the housing before starting work. If necessary, repair the part or replace it with a new one.
- Spring mechanism. If it has lost its properties, or there are cracks or breaks in it, it is necessary to replace this element. It is also recommended to inspect the fastening points for defects.
- Rope starting system. Inspect the rope for wear and damage. If necessary, replace the part and install it on the pulley.
Diagnosis of the starting system of the tool is carried out as follows:
- Unscrew fixing screws and remove the cover.
- Unscrew the screw that secures the mechanism to the protective cover.
- Smoothly start the starter by removing the spring and clamps.
- Remove the coil and cable for inspection for wear and defects.
- Check the fuel system for the presence of water in it. If there is water inside the system, the fuel fluid must be replaced.
- Inspect the power unit for overfilling with fuel fluid. In this case, unscrew and dry the spark plug, pull the starter, removing the air damper.
- Check the spark plug for spark.
How To Assemble A Recoil Starter System. TreeStuff.com Chainsaw Maintenance Video
The rotation does not develop
If the file does not support standby, the following may have occurred:
For self-repair, do the following:
- Flush or replace the fuel hose.
- Clean the filter.
- Check the quality of the gasoline and oil.
- Check carburetor and spark plugs.
STIHL chain saws will operate correctly when repaired.
If the saw does not rotate, it could result in:
- malfunctioning engine;
- cylinder wear;
- Piston rings have failed;
- spark plug failure;
- a faulty coil;
- Carburetor imbalance screw.
If no defects are found after testing, check carburetor.
How to disassemble, repair and reassemble a STIHL chain saw
To repair the machine, you must first disassemble it. Remove the side cover, saw and guide bar. Then clean the tool, blow it out with a compressor and clean all the parts with a brush. Then remove the handle. To do this, remove the plugs from the shock absorbers with a screwdriver. The shock absorbers and the handlebar are then removed.
Then remove the starter. Remove the housing cover and unscrew the starter screws. Remove the element. Then remove the flywheel by unscrewing the nut that holds it. Turn to the left. Remove flywheel. The clutch, oil pump drive and carburetor are then removed.
Most chainsaws have the same starter motor design. This is why some stores offer customers universal starters, which are suitable for installation on models from STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner. Nevertheless, some differences from most have domestic chainsaw starters Ural or Lesnik.
As standard, the chainsaw starter consists of a number of parts.
A protective cover is installed on top of all the components of the starter. The original working principle of most starters is also pretty much the same. There is a handle in the special groove of the chain saw body that holds the rope. When the handle is raised sharply, the last one is understood to be. The ratchet is actuated at this point and transmits the force through the reel to another spline reel on the engine shaft.
When the regular cable is pulled, the chainsaw motor shaft begins to rotate, which causes the existing fuel mixture, located at this time between the cylinder head and the regular piston, to be compressed.
As the internal combustion engine’s cylinder volume increases, so does the amount of fuel mixture needed for its future ignition. Accordingly, the operator of a high-powered saw needs to make more jerks than the owner of a low-powered household tool. To increase the speed at which the drum returns to its original position, manufacturers of heavy-duty chainsaws use resilient return springs.
How to install the compression spring on the STIHL 180
STIHL chain saws can be repaired by the user himself, thanks to their simple design. Proven in the construction segment, the tool has a power output of 1400 watts, an engine capacity of 31 cc. See.
The tool has excellent recommendations, popularity among users. This is due to its reasonable price and quality features. However chain saw operation is occasionally accompanied by failures.
Repairing the starter mechanism
When inspecting the disassembled starter, the following parts (assemblies) should be inspected for damage:
Chainsaw starter cord replacement
- Drive pulley. If it is subjected to high axial and radial loads, the sheave must be free of cracks and damage on the backside. If there are any, it is necessary to replace it with a new part.
- Starter spring. It is the spring that experiences the main stresses when starting the chainsaw. Made of quality carbon steel and subjected to special heat treatment, it loses its properties over time. If it is cracked or torn, a new spring must be installed.
- Starter cord. Made of synthetic wear-resistant materials, the starter cord wears out over time. If it is torn, a new cord must be installed on the pulley.
Purchased spare parts should correspond to the regulations of a particular chainsaw model.
After repairing it, it is necessary to reassemble the starter mechanism in the reverse order. A pulley with a ratchet is put on top of the spring. Before the final fixation of the chain saw starter cover you need to wrap the rope and make a few test jerks.
Remember that the starter cord is first threaded through the hole in the cover.
How to assemble a chainsaw starter spring
For a quick start any chain saw needs a starter. When the tool cranks the crankshaft quickly, the fuel-air consistency is compressed into the engine and ignites it next. Therefore, the normal operation of the starter for chain saw determines the performance of the mechanism.
Chainsaw starter unit
Virtually all of the leading chainsaw manufacturers supply their products with starters of similar principle of action. It is no coincidence that specialized stores offer universal designs of starters, which are ideally suited to both STIHL chain saws, Husqvarna, Makita, and the Chinese semi-official imitations of the brand-name. Some features have only starters for chainsaws made in Russia (Lesnik, Ural and others).
The principle of the chainsaw starter is as follows. In the body groove is installed handle, through which the cable is passed. If the handle rises sharply, the cable is pulled out and engages the drum of the ratchet mechanism, which transmits motion to the drum with slots provided on the shaft. With all this, the crankshaft makes several revolutions, and the operating mixture in the space between the piston and the cylinder head is compressed. Accordingly, when you lower the handle contact between the ratchet and the splines is lost, and the shaft stops.
As the engine displacement increases the amount of fuel-air consistency needed for the next ignition, so the amount of jerking for the starter rope in a chain saw increases. Therefore, in order to speed up the return of the drum, involuntary return springs made of steel with the highest elastic qualities are used.
The starting of the chainsaw is facilitated by the following methods:
- Preparatory enrichment of the working consistency, why there is a special flap in the design of the carburetor.
- The automatic decompression valve can be installed to reduce the working pressure in the chainsaw cylinder.
- Installation of an additional spring that eases the crankshaft unwinding during cable pulling.
- Some chainsaws (e.g. Partner S-series, Maxcut, etc.) are designed to be easy to replace.) primer. a pump that provides the preparatory pumping of fuel.
chain saw starter repair. With their own hands.
How to make a starter on a chain saw? How to bend the spring on a chainsaw starter motor? How to bend a spring
How to coil a spring starter gasoline tool
This is how I wind the springs on chain saw starters, but the springs on chainsaw starters and power tillers are wound on
chain saw starter repair
With frequent chain saw starts, some parts of the starter are constantly exposed to dynamic loads. As a result the starter rope may break, some teeth of the ratchet may get chipped, and the shaft will rotate at a slower speed. That’s why revision and even starter repair. operations that are sometimes carried out several times a season.
Replacing the cord
When pulling it there is a constant rubbing of the cable on the starter housing. To replace the saw disassemble the whole node and carefully raise the ratchet drum in order to prevent the return spring from jumping out of its seat. Putting the spring back in how to disassemble the starter, chain saw starter its own. It’s better to do this job with two people: one of them fixes the spring while you’re replacing the cable. After securing the cable in the handle and in the grooves of the drum, the cable is wound onto the roller, and the housing is assembled.
Repair of the spring
If the starter spring material turned out to be of bad quality, the spring breaks (usually at the place of its connection to the drum, where it forms a loop). Replace the spring in this case is not necessary. It is enough to thoroughly clean its surface from dirt and traces of grease, carefully grind the place of destruction, then temper the spring at 600 650 ° C (steel spring should get a crimson color). It is necessary to cool down the spring slowly and at 100150ºС you may turn its end accurately to the shape of the limiting ledge on the internal surface of the drum (steel will get the needed plasticity) and insert it into place. The elastic properties of the spring will not change.
How to put a spring on a chainsaw starter?
Putting the starter spring in the right slot is not easy, even for an experienced user. The principle of the chain saw starter is how to put the spring on the starter. The spring should first be twisted to its former diameter and installed in the hub cavity of the drum. The outer end of the spring is fixed by the limiting tab, and the outer end, using a screwdriver, should be placed against the hole in the lock. A screwdriver aligns the hinge at the inner end of the spring with the hole, and then the disk is lowered. Turn the disk to check whether the ratchet catch is in place. Then the ratchet itself is assembled.
After the spring is installed, it is necessary to adjust its tension. To do this, a cable is introduced into the slot on the circumference, and the return spring is wound around it. After releasing the slack, it is better to tighten the spring by several revolutions to guarantee the necessary tension of the part.
Repair of the ratchet mechanism itself at home is not recommended, since many operations will require the use of a CNC machine. It is easier to buy a new unit in specialized stores.
Chainsaw ignition system design and mechanism operating principle
The gasoline engine requires the creation of a spark, by which a portion of the fuel-air mixture is combusted. Spark is created by means of an ignition spark plug, to which voltage is applied. The ignition module is responsible for the voltage supply, which on modern chainsaws is represented by a contactless electronic system.
Contact ignition systems were previously used on older chainsaws, and modern manufacturers have eliminated the need to regulate the gap in the contacts, as well as their periodic cleaning. The following components of the chainsaw ignition system are responsible for burning fuel at a certain point in time:
- Flywheel or flywheel alternator, which has magnets in its design. It is the magnets that influence the creation of the electrical charge that goes to the spark plug. The flywheel also serves for the air cooling of the internal combustion engine, for which it is equipped with a ribbed edge
- The ignition module or commutator, which consists of an electronic board
- The high-voltage wire is a special cable that ensures the transfer of high voltage from the module to the spark plug contact
- The spark plug is the expendable part through which the spark is created
The principle of the chainsaw ignition system is as follows:
- The magnets on the flywheel, as it rotates, create an EMF, which is a voltage
- This voltage is created in the module, and is amplified by the electronic circuit
- A high-voltage impulse from the circuit board travels via a high-voltage wire to the spark plug, thereby creating a spark
The electrical diagram of the ignition system device is shown in the photo below.
One of the important parameters of the ignition system is the value of the gap between the module and the flywheel. The value of this gap is 0.25 mm, but on different models of manufacturers this value may vary, so it is recommended to clarify in the manual. If the gap is large, the spark will be weak, leading to unstable operation of the motor or its impossibility at all.
Quick tensioning device for the chain
To install the chain, you need to use the adjusting wheel. In this case there is no need to use other tools.
- Prepare surface for work. It should be flat and comfortable. To avoid damaging the surface and the tool itself, cover it with something soft, such as a mat. now lay the tire, chain and engine block separately on the surface.
- The next step is to open the wing nut, and then remove the chain sprocket cover.
- Turn the tensioning sprocket mounted on the bar to the right as far as it will go.
- Gradually slip the chain over the bar, starting at the bar nose. It is important to check that the direction of the chain is correct. Don’t forget to wear protective gloves.
- Now turn the chain over so that the bar is on top of the chain.
- Check again that the chain is exactly where it is and in the correct direction. The cutter on the nose of the bar should be facing forward.
- Slide the complete chain and guide bar onto the sprocket. While flipping the guide bar over the shoulder bolt.
- Now put the sprocket cover back on the motor housing, making sure all pins are in the correct holes. Turn the wing nut until the chain sprocket contacts the motor housing. Sprocket cover should not be completely tightened.
- Next, turn the clamping screw in the direction of the top of the bar. The chain drive links must fit into the groove of the tire.
- Tighten the wing nut so that the chain sprocket cover sits tightly on the motor unit. Close the wing nut until it locks.
- Check visually that there is no slack in the chain.
- Next, we check if our chain is not too tight. To do this, release the chain brake, pull the chain by hand along the mowing line movement (do not forget to wear protective gloves).
- After that the saw is ready to work and only the last step remains. activation of the chain brake.
Read also How to use aloe juice at home
So mounting the saw chain and guide bar with the quick chain tensioner has its distinct advantages, namely that it is easy to tension the chain and does not require any additional tools.
How to put the spring on the chain saw starter?
To put the spring in the appropriate groove is quite a challenge. First of all the part will need to be twisted, returning it to its previous size. Then it has to be inserted in the groove of the regular drum hub. To refill the spring in the chain saw starter, proceed as follows
- The outer end of the spring has to be fixed in the stopper. At the same time it is necessary to install the second end with a screwdriver in front of the regular hole inside the lock;
- Next, the loop on the inside end of the standard spring should be aligned with the hole. You should use a screwdriver for this. With the ends aligned, it is necessary to lower the disk;
- after the disk has been installed it is necessary to check that the ratchet of the chainsaw is in its regular position. Then you can reassemble the ratchet in reverse order.
To wind the spring on the chainsaw starter, you need to consider all the available holes and notches. After assembly it is necessary to tension the spring. once the slack is eliminated, the spring has to be wound a few turns, it is necessary to maintain the required tension of the installed part.