How To Install The Knife On The Trimmer
With the advent of summer, many owners of household plots are concerned about the issue of how to put a knife on a trimmer. No less relevant are the questions of why and when it is advisable to replace the fishing line on the lawn mow with a more durable cutting element. In our article we will try to make out all this and give useful recommendations to summer residents.
- Why you need to put a knife on a trimmer
- What knives to put on the electric and lawn mowers
- How to put the knife on the trimmer
Why you need to put a knife on a trimmer
The trimmer with a knife mounted on it is most convenient to use for more comfortable mowing of tall and coarsened grass in the country. The line on the lawn mowing in such cases can not cope. Thin breaks very quickly. Using a thick 2.3 mm cord or homemade rods with cables causes the vegetation to wind up on the spool. This increases the load on the engine. As a result, the piston group and other moving parts of the unit wear out very quickly.
If the mowing of the weeds is carried out with an electric trimmer without a knife, only fishing line, even if it is thick with a curly section, the problem cannot be solved. There is always a risk of overheating the motor and damage the flexible shaft. And it’s all about the big torque of the electric motor. The grass wound on the spindle creates strong resistance to the shaft, resembling a speedometer cable, which does not withstand and twists.
In order to protect the equipment from premature wear, manufacturers have provided the ability to install special knives on trimmers. The design and shape of existing cutting elements makes it easy to cope not only with coarsened and overgrown grass, but also successfully deal with young shrubbery.
What knives to put on the electric and lawn mowers
Before buying and putting a knife on a lawn mow, we will find out what they are and in which cases they are used. Today, manufacturers offer consumers a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools designed for mowing grass can be classified:
- By the type of material from which it is made;
- In the shape of its cutting blades.
The main material for making trimmer knives can be plastic or metal. The use of such consumables is largely dependent on two parameters:
- Type of lawn mowers;
- Square mowing.
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend placing steel knives on electric trimmers. Almost all lawn mowers powered by mains and battery are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they can be of a single disc-shaped design with several blades or in the form of a special mowing head for the installation of removable plastic blades.
Straight bar at gas trimmer and curved at electric
To put a metal knife on an electric trimmer does not allow its design features.
- The curved rod of the unit reduces the distance from its working part to the legs of the mower. If the blades collide with a stone or other solid object, the braid is thrown to the feet.
- The high torque that we mentioned above, in the event of a collision of a metal knife with a solid object, transfers a large load to the flexible shaft of the trimmer and its motor. What causes their premature failure.
- The handle of an electric braid most often does not have a restrictive bar acting as a stop. Which does not exclude injury to the legs.
It is these features that allow the use of exclusively plastic knives on trimmers with electric motors. In a collision with an obstacle, the blades are destroyed, thereby protecting the legs of the mower from possible injuries.
The use of metal knives only on gas trimmers is also due to design features.
- The direct design of the bar increases the distance to the legs, which ensures complete safety.
- Convenient U-shaped and J-shaped handles allow to hold the tool firmly. D-shaped lawn mowing arms are equipped with a limiter resting on the leg of the pigtail, which does not allow the head to be allowed to close when the cutting disc meets a solid obstacle.
- The clutch of the gasoline engine allows you to smoothly gain speed to the optimum level. And when the blade collides with a hard surface, it can absorb part of the impact.
Thus, gas trimmers with an installed metal knife are best used in large areas. They will successfully cope not only with tall coarse grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also shrubs, as well as young trees.
The shape of the blade blades placed on the trimmer does not affect the quality of the work performed. Speed does not depend on them either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular shapes are all the marketing ploy of manufacturers.
How to put the knife on the trimmer
Putting a knife on the trimmer is not so difficult. The manufacturer supplies his tools with a special pin that allows you to lock the gearbox and a key with which you can unscrew the spool with fishing line. The most important thing to observe when changing the cutting elements is the safety precautions and the assembly sequence of disassembly.
The algorithm for installing the knife on the trimmer is as follows:
- Remove the protective cover;
- We block the drive. To do this, combine two holes. In the shaft hub and in the gear cup. After combining them, insert the pin into the holes;
- We turn off the spool with fishing line or the fastening nut holding the boot (clockwise, if the trimmer has not been used) clockwise from the hub;
- Next, install the cutting knife, so that the slots on the hub washer coincide with the recesses in the hole of the cutting disc;
- Install the boot;
- We twist the fastening nut (counterclockwise) while holding the locking pin;
- Tighten it using a pipe wrench;
- Return the protective cover to its place.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely proceed to mow the weeds on the site.
When choosing equipment for a summer cottage, it’s not always worth chasing powerful and dimensional devices. The power of the tool is, undoubtedly, an important parameter, but it certainly pulls the increased weight of the device, its large size, as well as the high price and increased fuel costs. But that’s not the point.
If you have a small garden in which fruit trees are densely planted or a small lawn with flower beds and shrubs, then cleaning it from weeds and mowing grass neatly is clearly an impossible task for any lawn mower. In such cases, even a hand tool. An ordinary scythe and that will not help: you just can not swing it, bumping into tree trunks.
The ideal solution in this case is a good and inexpensive electric trimmer. It is so light, convenient and easy to operate that it always becomes a favorite among women and older people. A lightweight, quietly buzzing electric motor, a handle with convenient handles and a nylon fishing line tucked into the spool are the main components of the electric trimmer.
Electric trimmer efficiency
The electric braid, which works from a household electrical network, is relevant on a plot of four to six hundred square meters, planted with trees, flowers, shrubs. It is convenient for her to gently mow the grass near the house or along the curb, mow the tracks, and an environmentally friendly motor that does not produce exhaust, gas and burning will make it possible to even remove weeds in any indoor environment. Greenhouse or greenhouse.
The trimmer cable limits the grass mowing radius, but can be increased with a standard extension cord. If this length is not enough for you, or the power supply parameters do not contribute to the normal operation of the electric motor, then you can purchase a kind of electric tool. A cordless trimmer. It works autonomously, the built-in battery lasts for half an hour or an hour of intensive work. Enough to mow the trees in the garden. The motor at the trimmer can be placed at the top of the tool or at the bottom. Upper-motor trimmers work well on bumpy and uneven terrain. They are also well balanced and can work with tall and wet grass. A short circuit will not occur. The convenience of working with it is also enhanced by a single-arm loop, which is hung on the shoulder. The lower motor trimmer can only be used for wet grass and for flat areas. Often, lower motor trimmers operate on a battery.
How to use a trimmer
The household trimmer is the easiest to use and at the same time very effective tool. It seems that there is nowhere easier. To plug the instrument into a power outlet and work. But still there are some nuances that you need to know in order for the trimmer to work long and productively.
1. Site preparation. It is necessary to carefully examine the mowing area and remove all foreign objects. Stones, glass, wire, etc. Suddenly flying out from under the fishing line during operation, such an object can cause injury.
2. Installation of a cutting system. There are low-power trimmers that can only work with fishing line, mowing soft and juicy grass. They do not need to install a cutting system. But some models of trimmers, in which the motor has 1 kW and more power, can work with a knife. If there are hard weeds or even small bushes on the plot, you need to unscrew the nut of the working mount and install a cutting knife. Then tighten the nut firmly with a wrench.
3. Before starting work. It is very important to wear safety glasses when working with the trimmer, because even if you cleaned the area from debris, plant stalks and grass can fly into your eyes. The same stems, grass and branches can hurt your hands, so it is advisable to wear gloves. We simply plug the electric trimmer into the network, but the battery trimmer needs to be charged for several hours before work. Then, if there is a shoulder mount, hang it on the shoulder, knapsack. On both shoulders. We conveniently grab the trimmer by the handles: the D-shaped handle needs to be tightly wrapped around the palm of your hand, and the garden trimmer with the bicycle handle (U-shaped) should be held firmly with both hands. The trimmer must be held above the grass so that the spool with fishing line or knife is parallel to the ground. Turn on the start.
4. How to mow. The rotation of the cutting mechanism occurs counterclockwise. Thus, in order for the cut grass to fall on the already mowed area, easily, with simple movements, we carry out the trimmer in front of us, from right to left. To remove the rest of the grass, you should make a movement to another side. From left to right. If the area is even and large, break it into imaginary squares and mow, moving along the outside of such a square. If the site is on a slope, then you need to start mowing from the bottom of the lawn, passing across the site. In one side. Having reached the edge, you need to go back and mow in the same direction, in parallel. If there are a lot of trees on the site, mow only with fishing line, otherwise you can cut the tree trunk with a knife. In such a garden, it is best to mow around the perimeter, bypassing the tree in a circle.
5. Shutdown. Turn off the engine and remove the shoulder straps. This is not a complete shutdown. It is necessary to carefully clean the spool and knife from the remnants of grass. Then fold the trimmer if it is telescopic or collapsible and hide it until the next mowing.
The fishing line also has its secrets.
The fishing line is wound around the spool inside the reel, and its tips are exposed. When mowing, the spool rotates, and the line, with this rotation, cuts off the grass. To release the tips you need to lightly tap the coil on the ground (semi-automatic system), there are automatic reels in which the fishing line is released by itself. When working with fishing line there are also several rules:
In order not to damage the fishing line and reel. Try not to touch the reel and fishing line of various solid materials. Paths, borders, fences. From this fishing line is prematurely shortened, the coil may be damaged or even jam the engine. The spool with fishing line should also not touch the ground.
Mowing with tips is more efficient. If you mow the entire length of the fishing line, you can overload the engine. In addition, this reduces the efficiency of mowing. The tool must be held so that it mows only the ends of the fishing line. To do this, tilt it forward. Towards mowing.
Tall grass requires several mowing. If the grass is above 20 centimeters, then one mowing will not do here. Need to mow two to three times, from top to bottom. This is done so that the grass does not wrap around the reel. Wound grass is a guaranteed overheating of the engine. If the grass is still wound, you need to stop the tool and clean it.
The fishing line ran away and hid in a reel. This option when working happens if you did not release the line from the reel on time. After all, the line when mowing is erased and shortened. If you do not have time to release it, then stop the engine, turn off the tool from the network, and then disassemble the spool and pass the ends of the fishing line into the desired holes.
What does the consumption of fishing line depend on? It must be remembered that the line wears out faster if the grass is tough. Therefore, you need to release it more often when mowing weeds and dry hard grass. Around the foundation of the house, near the wall and the curb, the consumption of fishing line will also be greater than directly on the lawn or near trees. It is worth considering: if you work carefully and accurately, the consumption of trimmer line will be optimal and economical.