How to Magnet a Bit for a Screwdriver
The main reason for quick bit wear is poor quality and misuse. Of course, if you work with wood or assemble furniture, the question is not so acute, but when working with a professional screwdriver associated with metal or concrete, not every bit will last at least a month. There are several rules and tricks, knowing which you will use a very bad bat or head for a very long time, but more on that later in the text.
To tell you the truth, I acquired bits in a set only once, with the very first “shurik”, this set without two bits is still lying in the box, “just in case”.
Bits of average quality, only suitable for wood. For long, red-hot self-tapping screws I buy bits individually, before starting large work. I choose hardware with which I will work and for them immediately snap. To the equipment you can take the head of the bit holder, with the help of its bit is fixed in a screwdriver and does not fall out during operation. Why there is a small chamfer on the hexagon. Bit holders are collet and magnetic:
What are the bits and heads for a screwdriver?
Most popular bits are listed below. They are also divided into some types depending on the shape of the work element of the slot of the bit:
- Straight bits
- Cruciform bits;
- Star-shaped bits;
- Hexagonal heads;
Special bits are divided into:
- With stop limit for drywall;
- With spring clips and others.
The difference between combined and special and basic ones is that at both ends of the bits there are working parts of different shapes or the same shape, but different sizes. They cost a little more than two other types, which is not always justified. This will help to verify the study of the properties of nozzles for a screwdriver, which is discussed in detail below. However, the above classifications are not the only ones since there are several bit standards.
- Ph (short for Phillips). Cruciform bits having a conditional size from 0 to 4; characterized by the expansion of the slot to the base, as well as the angle at the apex of 55 degrees. The most popular size among buyers is Ph2;
- Pz (Pozidrive). The angle at the top is 50 degrees; products are an improved version of the previously described; differ in the presence of two or four additional slots in the base;
- Sl (Slot). Straight slot, varying in width; the number in the marking means the width of the slot;
- Torx (also found TX). A slot in the form of a hexagonal star; it is applied to designs to which the increased requirements concerning durability are imposed;
- Hex. Bit used for fastening screws with an internal hexagon; most often used in the assembly of furniture; special bits for nuts or bolts having an external hexagon and used when attaching roofing screws or press washers.
Pay particular attention to bit differences. Pz and PH. These are two different standards, although very similar. The cone angle and the slot angle are difficult to distinguish with the naked eye. The differences between these competing standards in the figure below:
Rating of well-known brands of manufacturers of bits and bits for a screwdriver
Manufacturers, whose name is heard most of the people associated with the construction or repair work, for decades of work on the Russian market have established themselves properly. Among the sought-after firms, bits are distinguished by quality:
Quite junk, Metabo products. Destruction of their faces is noted; such rapid wear is characteristic only of plastic. Quenching of bits can improve the quality of faces; see about quenching of bits:
1) Exact match of the screw head and bits.Any master has a favorite bit, the one that lives in a screwdriver for a long time, buying hardware, try to choose screws or screws for it. There are a lot of configurations of heads, sometimes you have to work with such crap, in this case, keep an inexpensive set of bits on hand, you can even make Chinese ones.
2) Do not forget the ratchet.
Screwing the dowel into the “dash”, just in case, still set the ratchet limit slightly more than the maximum force. Ifthe self-tapping screw rests in concrete it will not allow to tear off splines. When working with drywall and a metal profile, a ratchet will protect the surface of the gypsum plaster sheet from tearing due to excessive immersion of the self-tapping head.
3) Grease for threading a self-tapping screw or screw.
Before screwing in, lubricate the working surface, this will significantly reduce the force and as a result will unload the screwdriver and the bit will live much longer. If you screw the self-tapping screw “forever”, such as stretching the floorboards of the wooden floor, better to lubricate with water, then it is very difficult to unscrew such a self-tapping screw. But if, it is supposed to unscrew a screw later, then it is possible to grease with kerosene or WD-40. Such a grease will dry quickly and will not affect the quality of the fastener, but it will be screwed into the oil like a knife.
4) Hold the corner!Trite advice, but more often than not, the slots break down precisely because of an “unsteady hand” or in a hurry. The bat should go into the head of the “tutelka tutelka”, without play. If possible, use bits with a spring lock, this slows down the work, but only at the beginning, over time, your hands will do everything right and quickly.
5) Get a box for old bits
After completion of large volumes of work, the bits are “tired”, a little play or worn out. These can be folded for future use and later this box will help you out more than once. These bits are still useful for twisting. I have a powerful magnet in this box, except that it can magnetize any bit, it often helps out in hard-to-reach places.