How to Make a Chainsaw Angle Grinder
Many people consider a chainsaw a monofunctional tool, but this is not so. It is enough to use additional equipment, and your power unit will turn into a drill, a sawmill, a pump and even an angle grinder. Not sure how to make an angle grinder from a chainsaw? In order to create a cutting tool, it is not necessary to spend a lot of effort, time and personal funds.
Additional equipment for chainsaws
The angle grinder nozzle for the Husqvarna chainsaw, as well as for other power tools released under a different brand, are sold in a large assortment on the market. Find such a device is not difficult. With the installation, there should also be no problems, since in the kit you get instructions where the installation process is described in detail. You will have to work longer and resort to some tricks that are not described in the instructions only when you have chosen the wrong nozzle for the chainsaw.
Important! There is no universal “angle grinder” nozzle for modifying a chainsaw. When buying it, you must consider your model of a power tool. At the same time, keep in mind that choosing the perfect option for additional equipment for the tool is not easy, since the nozzle manufacturers do not always indicate in the accompanying document a complete list of compatible chainsaw models.
Rules for choosing the “angle grinder” nozzle for a chainsaw
Attachment to UAR chainsaws 1 angle grinder, like other nozzles, are sold complete with technical documentation, which must be studied before purchase. It’s good if you find yours in the list of chainsaws that are compatible with this device, but if it’s not there, do not rush to get upset. This does not mean that you cannot mount the nozzle on the tool.
Carry out additional research, compare, for example, the diameter of the seat of the pulley, which is complete with a nozzle with the diameter of the crankshaft of your power unit (to measure the diameter of the shaft, you need to dismantle the clutch system).
Important! You can remove the clutch using a special puller that complements your chainsaw at the time of sale. Clutch disassembly instructions can be found in the instruction manual of the specific tool. If for certain reasons there is no access to the instruction, use the universal version of the algorithm of actions.
The main pulley of the device is different. Pay attention to it, and if it matches the main star of the chainsaw lice, you can use the nozzle. If not, then installing the pulley in the clutch is unrealistic.
Varieties of a pulley of a nozzle "an angular grinder"
There is no recognized unified classification for the coupling of a saw and a pulley of a nozzle. But it would help many if it existed. In order to simplify the search for the perfect tool, consider the main types of pulleys and their features.
A pulley like the Stihl 180 is a closed cup that fits onto the clutch seat. Such a pulley cannot be disassembled, the size of its landing groove corresponds to the size of the crankshaft when the needle bearing is not removed from it. This option is suitable for Stihl chainsaws for models 170, 180 and 250.
There is a pulley without a cup. They are mounted on the main sprocket of the power unit, for which it is not necessary to remove the clutch. This type may have distinctive features. Pulleys without a cup are distinguished along the pitch of the groove under the asterisk. This type has a plus. it’s easy to install this pulley. Need an additional argument in his favor? Affordable price. In addition, this pulley is suitable for many Taiga chainsaws, Partner, Husqvarna, many Chinese tools.
And what about professional chainsaws in which you can replace the main sprocket? For such models, a third category of pulleys is produced. When searching for a nozzle with this type of pulley, the operator does not have to focus on his photo, it is enough to consider the features of the clutch system and the chainsaw sprockets.
Video: How to Make a Chainsaw Angle Grinder
But what if, after studying the varieties of the pulleys of the device, it was not possible to find an option that fits the clutch or the main link? Then the pulley of the selected nozzle is replaced with a regular one without a cup.
How to install a nozzle?
We will deal with the installation process of the nozzle in detail. You need to adhere to such an algorithm of actions.
- We clean the chainsaw with compressed air. To do this, you will need to dismantle the protective cover on the side, the guide, as well as the chain. Using a compressor, blow compressed pieces of wood material. This is necessary so that when disassembling the clutch they do not fall into the bearing.
- Dismantle the spark plug, insert a clean rag into the piston stroke or stretch a tight rope into the cylinder to lock the piston, then remove the crankshaft and unscrew the clutch.
- Now we focus on the type of pulley fixtures. You will need to either remove the clutch from the crankshaft to install the nozzle on the seat, or put the pulley in place of the main star.
- We assemble the tool in the reverse order.
- Install the angle grinder. We fix it instead of the guide. It is enough to fix the device on a pair of screws, after which the side protective cover is fixed in place.
Important! The first and second step for many Stihl chainsaws is irrelevant, since, taking into account the structural features of the tools for mounting the bowl, it is not necessary to disassemble the device.
Pay attention to the alignment of the stem of the adjustable screw with the hole of the device. If the hole and stem are different, then belt tensioning is not possible.
If everything matches, go to the last step. check the belt tension.
The main advantages of a chainsaw. angle grinder
Is it worth it to spend money on an additional device to modify the power unit? What advantages do you get if you compare this type of tool with a conventional cutting?
The first important advantage of using the device is mobility. Sometimes you have to work in conditions where it is impossible to stretch the wires for connecting an angle grinder, or in conditions where there is no electricity, then a chainsaw-angle grinder will come to the rescue.
Another important plus is saving money. On average, the average angle grinder needs to spend more than 7 thousand rubles. On the other hand, spend about 2 thousand to buy a fixture or make a nozzle yourself.
Consider the power of tools. Powerful angle grinders are those that have indicators at the level of 3 kW, while chainsaws are capable of delivering about 4 kW, but even this is not a chapel, because professional ones show an indicator of 5. 5.4 kW.
Also, if you are interested in which tool can be made from a chainsaw, pay attention to the article. Stihl 180 chainsaw nozzles.
The nuances of using a nozzle
Considering the advantages of the angle grinder attachment, do not ignore some of the nuances:
- you can not use a gas cutter in the room, since its exhaust is toxic;
- for small workloads (and when you need to make an accurate small cut), a chainsaw with a device will be too cumbersome;
- the air filter of your power unit will clog strongly due to metal dust floating in the air;
- Compared to a angle grinder, a chainsaw with a nozzle is heavier due to which it is inconvenient to manipulate it for grinding.
Use the nozzle following all safety precautions. In theory, everyone understands this, but in practice, many people neglect the rules, which leads to injuries. Pay attention to the need:
- protect eyes with glasses and hands with long-sleeve protective clothing (preferably made of thick material);
- practice controlling the cutting disc of the nozzle, which is extremely fragile at break;
- refuse to install a large cutting disc on a chainsaw, the power of which does not exceed 1.5 kW (the engine will cope, but its work will be on the brink, which will affect the speed in the form of dips);
- Do not use equipment without a protective cover;
- operate the saw with the nozzle only after checking the belt tension between the two pulleys (take the belt in the center, make several movements, trying to turn it, it will only turn 90 degrees, then the adjustment is correct).
You can create the device yourself, but most often, its belt is located above the cup of the clutch system, which means that the belt, regardless of its tension, will fly off all the time when using the device. In this case, try to improve the device in place of the clutch by placing the nozzle pulley.
An alternative is to install an adapter for mounting the disc angle grinder directly to the clutch system. Then you do not need to use extension cords, including the guide rail. This option is safe, but, sometimes with the start of the chainsaw engine, the cutting-off disc does not start to rotate. This indicates a locked clutch. And to use the tool without a normally functioning clutch in such a design is not only inconvenient, but also dangerous.
Thus, we can conclude that it is realistic to create a nozzle for an angle grinder for a chainsaw with your own hands, but given the number of available factory accessories that meet all standards, it is not always advisable and profitable to do this. You will not spend a lot of money on the finished product, but it will expand the functionality of your power unit.