How to make a gasoline trimmer mix
How to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil
Dilute the trimmer gasoline in the correct proportion. An insufficient amount of oil can lead to poor lubrication of the mower components, which contributes to rapid wear. If the oil is more than the prescribed amount, carbon deposits will form on the pistons and spark plugs. Carbon deposits on the moving parts of the engine interfere with normal operation and lead to early engine damage.
What proportion is required for a particular trimmer model can be found in the attached instructions. Most often, for 2-stroke gasoline engines of lawn mowers, a fuel mixture is used in a ratio of 50: 1, where 50 is part of gasoline, 1 is part of oil. That is, 20 ml of oil should be added to 1 liter of gasoline. The table will help you choose the required ratio.
To correctly measure the proportions, use measuring containers with a milliliter scale. For these purposes, a special double-necked canister is perfect; it is designed for mixing and storing oil gasoline. For example, oil can be drawn with a medical syringe without a needle. Before mixing liquids, make sure that the container for the ready-made fuel mixture is free of water, dust and dirt particles.
It is unacceptable to dilute gasoline with lubricant directly in the fuel tank; moreover, the proportion of oil and gasoline must be strictly observed. If you ignore this rule, then the trimmer motor can be unstable, due to which it will quickly fail.
It is not recommended to use plastic bottles or canisters for this purpose. This is due to the fact that gasoline tends to dissolve plastic, which means that some of the plastic can get into the fuel tank, which can lead to a breakdown of the carburetor. Although there are special plastic canisters labeled “flame”.
This will require:
- oil suitable for air-cooled two-stroke engines;
- canister, preferably metal;
- mixing container, metal is also better;
In addition to protective equipment, do not forget about fire safety rules, because gasoline and engine oil are flammable:
- it is better to carry out work outdoors in order to avoid the accumulation of gasoline vapors in the room;
- do not smoke and create situations associated with the occurrence of a spark.
Make a mixture of gasoline and oil as follows:
- Pour 1 liter of gasoline into a container, add half of the required portion of oil. Mix thoroughly, do it with extreme caution, away from sources of open fire.
- Add the rest of the oil to the trimmer gasoline and mix thoroughly again. Fuel can now be poured into the trimmer fuel tank.
The mixture can be stored for no more than three months, so it is better to dilute gasoline in such an amount that it is enough for several uses.
What gasoline to fill
Gasoline for the trimmer should be chosen unleaded with a stroke number of 92 or 95. As practice shows, AI-80 gasoline can damage the device, which is a questionable economy.
Fuel must be fresh, that is, after purchase, it can be stored for no more than 60 days.
Other factors also affect the quality of the fuel, such as using a special lawn mower lubricant and diluting it in a separate container. It is also recommended to use special canisters designed for storing gasoline.
Which oil to choose
For effective trimmer operation, it is necessary to select oil for two-stroke engines. This is due to the lack of an oil sump in such a device. Depending on the chemical composition of the oil, the following classification is distinguished:
- mineral. based on petroleum distillate, suitable for low-power equipment and with an air type of cooling, but requires frequent replacement and can only be used in good weather during the warm season;
- semi-synthetic. suitable for garden equipment with air and liquid cooling;
- synthetic. based on esters, do not require frequent replacement and can be used at any time of the year.
Oil for 2-stroke engines is characterized by good solubility and complete combustion feature. It is recommended to use a lubricant for the trimmer that is suitable for air-cooled units. Most often, it is indicated on the packaging that the oil is intended for gardening equipment and is marked TA, TB or TC. over, the last of them is the most preferable.
If the consumption of engine oil during the summer season is planned to be large due to the presence of a chainsaw, brush cutter, lawn mower in the garden arsenal, then it is advisable to buy 5 liters of oil at a more favorable price. If it is needed only to mix with gasoline and fill the only tool, then 1 liter will be enough.
Lawn mower manufacturers often produce the right oil, so you can make your choice easier if you choose the right brand fluid.
How to Mix Gas and Oil for Weed Eater: Tips from Sears Home Services
The choice of oil and gasoline for preparing a fuel mixture for a trimmer: dilution ratio table
A trimmer, or lawn mower, is an indispensable tool in the household. over, its reliability, efficiency and long service life depend on many factors. For example, the quality of fuel. This means that you need to select the right trimmer oil, observe the proportions when added to gasoline and the rules for refueling the device.
How and how much to refuel
Filling the trimmer fuel tank is easy. To do this, place the tank so that the lid is on top. The amount of fuel depends on the trimmer model. This information is indicated in the instructions, there is also a mark directly on the tank.
It is strictly forbidden to overfill the tank.
Doing so can cause fuel to overflow into the intake manifold and fuel filter, which could cause engine damage or fuel ignition.
When refueling the trimmer, you must follow the safety measures:
- try to fill in the liquid so that it does not spill, you can use a watering can for this;
- if gasoline still spills, then it must be wiped up immediately;
- the start of the trimmer must be started after the container with the fuel is removed to a safe and secure place, preferably at a distance of more than 10 meters;
- when there is a long break between operations, drain the remaining fuel.
Correct proportion and adherence to mixing and filling techniques will help to extend the life of the trimmer. At the same time, it is recommended to choose only a high-quality product of the corresponding brand.
Why the lawn mower won’t start?
If the petrol trimmer fails to start or it stalls immediately, you need to check the ignition by removing the spark plug. A dry candle means that the problem lies in the fuel supply system. A wet plug indicates a malfunction of the ignition system. If carbon is visible on the candle, you need to clean it or replace it.
Clogged air filter can be another cause. If it is contaminated with oil, it must be cleaned, washed and dried.
Before you start running in the engine of your new lawn mowers, you need to prepare a high-quality fuel mixture. Lawn mowers with a two-stroke engine will need the appropriate oil and gasoline. They need to be mixed in a certain proportion, which you can find out in the instructions for the trimmer. The manual also contains information about the fuel and oil recommended for a particular model.
Do not prepare fuel with a margin, calculate the amount that is enough for one mowing. Fit a plastic canister for fuel. A glass or metal container will also work. To draw oil conveniently, you need an ordinary syringe.
Often, tool and oil manufacturers indicate different proportions, so owners of gasoline trimmers do not know which one to choose. Often in the instructions for the trimmer, a ratio of 1:25 is indicated, and in the instructions for the oil. up to 1:50. Which one will be better?
Experts believe that if the trimmer instructions indicate a ratio of 1:25 or 1:30, the manufacturer simply does not know which oil will be used. Too much oil damages the tool because it does not burn out completely, leaving a small amount of coke that then clogs the engine parts. It is better to give preference to the proportion recommended by the oil manufacturer.
lawn mower. how to replace the line?
If your line is not enough to cut tough grass or shrubbery, you can try installing a reinforced line. Another alternative is a disc with knives. It is suitable for working even with young trees and tough shoots.
How to cut grass with fishing line
Mowing with a trimmer that has a line or line is safer than using knives. However, the work efficiency will be lower. It is better to always select consumables for specific tasks and combine their use.
When working with a gasoline trimmer that has a line installed, follow these tips:
- mow at a height of about 10 cm above the ground;
- first mow the upper part of the grass, and then cut off the stem at the base. this will help to avoid winding on the working part;
- it is better to drive the unit in the same direction in which the coil rotates;
- when mowing the lawn, it is better to work with the ends of the line to reduce the load on the engine;
- every 15 minutes of operation, you need to give the gas trimmer a rest.
When you hit the gas
- If the petrol trimmer stalls when you press the gas, you need to check the air damper. If installed in the closed position, it must be installed in the open position.
- Another option is a clogged filter.
- Also, the gasket between the cylinder and the carburetor may be damaged.
- A cracked fuel hose will cause air leaks.
Why is the lawn mower warming up??
- One of the hottest parts is the gearbox. If there is not enough lubrication in the mechanism, the gears will experience friction and heat up. This can also happen with new gearboxes, the gears in which did not have time to get used. The operating temperature of the reducer can reach 60 ° C.
- Another reason for lawn mowers to overheat is when they are used at maximum load. The instrument must rest regularly.
- There may be not enough oil in the fuel mixture. this will lead to oil starvation, increased friction and a lot of heat generation during operation.
- Dirty cooling air holes.
Starting the trimmer for the first time
When the trimmer is filled with fuel, the tool can be started. To do this, follow these steps:
- Place the instrument on a flat surface.
- Close the choke with the appropriate lever.
- Pump some fuel into the carburetor using a primer.
- Turn on the ignition switch.
- Pull on the starter rope until you feel resistance.
- Then take a few strong jerks until the mower starts.
- When the trimmer starts, open the choke.
If the lawn mower fails to start, or it stalls right away, try opening the choke on the carburetor a little.
Preparing the petrol trimmer for work
Before you start working with your lawn mower, there are a few steps you need to take to get the tool ready for use.
Fuel mixture and refueling
For the convenience of preparing the fuel mixture, it is better to have a special canister. where one part contains gasoline and the other 2-stroke oil. We recommend getting one like this, it is very convenient to use https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/dlya-benzopil/kanistryi/
Next, take a measuring container with a scale applied to it, with its help you can prepare the mixture as accurately and quickly as possible. Look in the instructions what brand of gasoline and 2-stroke oil https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/masla-i-smazki/ are recommended by the manufacturer of your lawn mowers. Pour gasoline and oil into the container for preparing the fuel mixture, according to the proportions indicated in the instructions. Then carefully pour the prepared mixture through a funnel into the trimmer fuel tank. The ratio of gasoline and oil should be exactly as indicated in the instructions. This is a very important point.!
Starting lawn mowers with cold engine
To start the lawn mower for the first time, locate the choke lever and place it in the closed position. Turn on the ignition on the handle. If your model has a manual fuel pump, popularly called suction, then press it 3-5 times until you see the fuel mixture inside the primer. The tool is now ready to run. Lay the trimmer on a flat surface to ensure a stable position. Pull the starter rope gently until you feel its resistance, and then pull the rope towards you 3-5 times with a sharp movement.
If the engine starts after 5 jerks, open the choke. If this does not happen, open the air damper anyway (if the damper is open and you continue trying to start the engine, the fuel will flood the spark plug and have to dry it, and this is a waste of time).
If the engine does not start when the throttle is open, close it and continue pulling the cord. The first launch can be quite difficult and require up to 15 jerks. After the engine has started to work, press the throttle lever once, so you engage idle speed. Now let the engine run and warm up. After that, it can be stopped by clicking on the “Stop” button.
How to start a petrol trimmer
The process of putting lawn mowers into operation, whether you bought it now or got it after winter storage, the rules listed below will allow you to avoid basic mistakes that can damage the tool.
Let’s say you just bought a petrol trimmer. Take the instructions out of the box and see if you have all the parts listed for the lawn mower. After that you can start building.
Starting a warm engine
It’s very simple. Move the switch to the working position and pull the cord before starting. If you do everything according to the instructions, then there should be no problems with starting a working lawn mower.
Basic startup errors
Let’s list the main mistakes that beginners make when starting a gasoline trimmer:
- starting the engine with the ignition off;
- starting with a closed damper with the number of jerks more than 5 times;
- improper fuel mixture.
How to properly fill the finished fuel into a two-stroke engine
Many do not follow some important recommendations for pouring fuel into the gas tank of the trimmer or lawn mowers, which ultimately leads to unpleasant consequences. Let’s consider important recommendations on how to properly fill the gas tank of lawn mowers with diluted fuel from gasoline and oil:
- Prepare a funnel or watering can. Despite the large diameter of the hole in the gas tank, very often when trying to get into it, some part of the fuel is spilled, which gets on the body of the tool. Fuel trapped on the tool can cause a fire when heated, so it is very important to use a funnel or watering can.
- Before unscrewing the plug, thoroughly clean the surface of the tank, as dirt can get inside, which will cause a quick clogging of the gas filter
- Fuel filling operations must be carried out in calm weather or in a secluded place to exclude the possibility of dust and small grains of sand getting inside the tank.
- Do not leave the tank hatch open for a long time, as not only small grains of sand and dust, but also insects can get into it
- Do not inhale gasoline vapors while filling, as they are dangerous to humans. When working with a trimmer, the master must use safety glasses, earmuffs and a respirator
- It is necessary to pour fuel into the tank up to the mark. If you fill the tank full, then when screwing the plug, some of it will pour out. wasteful use of fuel. In this case, it is better to underfill than overflow.
Given these recommendations, you can significantly extend the life of the gasoline tool in question.
How to choose trimmer oil or types of lubricants
Trimmers and lawn mowers are powered by two-stroke engines, which have a simplified design. Rarely, there are trimmer models with 4-stroke engines that run on pure gasoline. Two-stroke power units do not have a compartment for filling engine oil (oil sump), thereby reducing the weight of the tool and reducing their cost. If the rotating parts of the motor are not lubricated, they will eventually fail quickly. To prevent this, the trimmer is not filled with pure gasoline, but with a mixture of oil. What oil to dilute with gasoline for a trimmer?
To begin with, let’s remember or find out what types of oils are produced by chemical composition:
- Mineral liquids. designed for low-power equipment with air cooling. It is the cheapest type of engine lubricant.
- Semi-synthetic substances. they are used for equipment that has air and water cooling
- Synthetic. suitable for all types of motors with different types of cooling. They do not require frequent replacement, and this type of lubricant is several times more expensive than mineral and semi-synthetic
From the above it follows that oil with any composition is suitable for a trimmer. mineral water, synthetics and semi-synthetics. Oils with different chemical compositions differ in price, therefore, when buying, it is necessary to rely on the recommendations of the tool manufacturer. The instructions indicate advisory information on which types of oils are best to use. If this is the TC-W3 standard, then it is not so important what composition the substance should have. In this case, mineral water, semi-synthetics and synthetics can be diluted with gasoline.
Choosing a lawn mower oil useful tips from professionals
If the instructions for the tool have been lost, and there are difficulties with choosing the right oil, then it is recommended to stop your choice on the following two options:
- Semi-synthetic. they are cheaper than synthetics, but more expensive than mineral water. Suitable for equipment, both Russian and foreign. They have low smoke parameters, and adequately “take care” of the structural elements of the motor. Manufactured by ferrying petroleum products and hydrocarbons
- Synthetic. expensive types of lubricants that are suitable for all types of equipment. If you use synthetics for your trimmer, then the engine of the tool will work like a clock.
When choosing and buying oils for dilution with gasoline, you may come across the fact that some letter designations are indicated on the cans. These designations are an API classification, which will be useful to find out who wants to fill the tool with a lubricant that is suitable for the parameters. Let’s consider all types of oils according to API classification for two-stroke engines:
- TA. intended for air-cooled units with a volume of up to 50 cm3. These include mopeds, lawn mowers, trimmers and lawn mowers. Optimal solution for lawn mowers and trimmers
- TB. used for refueling engines of units such as mopeds, chainsaws, scooters and motorcycles. The engine displacement of such equipment ranges from 50 to 200 cm3. This type of oil is also suitable for trimmers
- TC. intended for dilution with gasoline and filling in motorcycles, snowmobiles and other types of land equipment
- TD. serves for refueling outboard motors, hydro scooters and boats
API classification is an American standard that is used in Europe. However, when choosing, there are additional designations on oil cans for two-stroke engines, for example, FA, FB, FC, FD and others. This is the smoke emission classification of oils developed by the Japanese JASO standard. If such designations are found on the selected oils for trimmers and chainsaws, then their decoding must be taken into account:
- FA. used in countries where the legislation provides for the minimum emission of smoke into the atmosphere. Emits an imperceptible fog of smoke during operation
- FB. Designed for use in countries where there are strict restrictions on the emission of smoke into the atmosphere. Virtually no white smoke
- FC. smoke emitted into the atmosphere is transparent and invisible to humans
- FD are smokeless oils for 2-stroke internal combustion engines that do not emit smoke, but still have improved chemical properties. They are usually used for mixing with gasoline and refueling boats, boats and yachts.
If the container with the lubricant has the designation “self mix” and “pre mix”, then they mean. self-mixing with gasoline (the first option, which does not require shaking), and the need for forced dissolution (the second option).
Knowing the classification of oils by their types, it will not be difficult to choose the best option for your brand of lawn mowers. On the market you can find a variety of brands of oils for two-stroke engines, but it is better to pay special attention to such companies:
- Stihl. produce mineral and synthetic, and semi-synthetic of this brand are rare
- Shell Helix Ultra. Recommended by Specialists
- Lukoil is a Russian oil that costs 3 times cheaper than foreign analogues, but at the same time has excellent quality indicators
Product are not indicated as vary. There are many other brands, and if you still want to find the perfect trimmer lubricant for yourself, then it is recommended to watch the test in the video clip below.
From the video, we can conclude that it is not always useful to buy expensive oils, since they may turn out to be of unsatisfactory quality, which can be seen in a real example.
We deal with the choice of gasoline for lawn mowers AI-92 or AI-95
How many people, so many opinions, which applies not only to the choice of oil for the trimmer, but also gasoline. Similarly, in order not to make a mistake with the choice, it is recommended to use gasoline of the brand recommended by the manufacturer (indicated in the manual for the tool). However, everything is not so simple here, since at each gas station, the brands of gasoline are only called the same, but they have a completely different composition. You need to figure it out and come to a common conclusion about which brand is better to pour gasoline into a two-stroke engine for your trimmer.
Manufacturers recommend using A-92 gasoline for their equipment, and some models require the use of A-95 grades, which do not contain ethyl alcohol. It is not recommended to use AI-90 and lower gasoline, as they will cause rapid wear of engine parts. When buying gasoline of one brand, you cannot be 100% sure that it corresponds to reality. The result is the following picture:
- The manufacturer recommends pouring fuel into the AI-92 trimmer
- The summer resident uses only gasoline of this brand, but buys it at gas stations, where the price is lower or where necessary
- This negatively affects the internal parts of the engine, since at one gas station it is really high-quality AI-92 gasoline, and at the second. at best, if it is AI-80, not AI-76
As a result, the engine suffers, and after a couple of years of operation of the new trimmer, it becomes necessary to overhaul it. In order not to have to analyze the quality of fuel or buy only expensive gasoline, it is recommended to refuel at only one filling station. At filling stations, gasoline is poured only into metal cans, not plastic.
There are manufacturers producing special purified fuel for two-stroke engines. If this option is chosen, then you do not need to choose the best gas station, the brand of gasoline and control its shelf life.
Learning to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil if you overfill or overfill
If you bought a trimmer, lawn mower, lawn mower, chainsaw and other types of equipment, then you probably know that they use two-stroke motors as power units. These engines do not run on pure gasoline, like four-stroke engines, but on a mixture of gasoline and oil. In what proportion should gasoline be diluted with trimmer oil. every summer resident asks himself this question before preparing the tool for work. We will understand this issue in detail, since diluting gasoline with trimmer oil affects the service life of the tool, and improper preparation of the mixture will lead to rapid engine wear. What is the danger of excess or insufficient amount of oil in gasoline for a trimmer:
- If gasoline is diluted with a large amount of oil (above the norm), then this will lead not only to the appearance of a large amount of smoke, but also to the formation of carbon deposits on the cylinder walls and a drop in power. This carbon deposit will cause piston wear, which will be diagnosed by a decrease in its performance.
- If the gasoline does not contain enough trimmer oil, this is even more dangerous. After all, the working mechanisms of the engine will not be lubricated in sufficient quantities, which will eventually lead to their rapid wear (there is a rapid destruction of the piston rings and the engine jamming). With an insufficient amount of oil in gasoline, poured into the trimmer, engine wear will occur ten times faster
In order not to have to pay for mistakes with the cost of overhauling the engine or buying a new tool, it is necessary to fill the fuel of the correct consistency into the tank from the first day. You can find out the ratio in the instructions for the tool, since models from different manufacturers may give different recommendations. Usually this ratio is the following norms:
- 1 in 25 or for 1 liter of gasoline 40 grams of two-stroke oil
- 1 to 40 or 1 liter of gasoline 25-30 grams of lubricant
- 1 to 50. this is 20 grams of oil per liter of gasoline
The standard value is considered to be 1 to 50 (indicated on canisters with oil for two-stroke engines), but it is necessary to rely on it in the most extreme case, since the manufacturers indicate the recommended proportion value, and if it is not observed, then the service life of the two-stroke motor is reduced.
In addition to keeping the proportion, you also need to learn how to prepare the mixture. After all, the option of adding oil to the gas tank is categorically contraindicated, although some do so. If you bought a trimmer or lawn mower, you will need consumables that you will use to prepare the mixture. Instructions for preparing the fuel mixture in the trimmer are as follows:
- Prepare gasoline and two-stroke oil based on the above recommendations for the selection of lubricant and fuel
- In addition, to prepare the mixture, you need to take a container or container. Usually a plastic bottle is used for this, to the selection of which an appropriate approach is needed. It must be clean inside. It is not recommended to use a container for milk, beer and other drinks. The best option is a container for mineral water.
- It is very important that the container has an integer volume value, that is, 1 or 2 liters, so that you do not have to calculate how much oil to pour into a 1.5 liter, 1.3 or 1.25 liter bottle, because you can easily make a mistake.
- You will also need a syringe, which is used as a measuring device for dispensing oil. For such purposes, a conventional medical syringe for 10 or more cubes is suitable. It is desirable that the syringe has an accurate measuring scale
- After preparing the necessary materials, you can start cooking
Instructions for preparing a fuel mixture in a lawn mower:
- First you need to fill the plastic container. The container is not full of 2 fingers to fit the oil
- The required amount of two-stroke oil is drawn into a syringe, and poured into a bottle with collected gasoline. You need to do it this way, and not vice versa.
- After adding a lubricant to the bottle, it requires you to close it tightly with a lid and stir. However, keep in mind that oils labeled “pre mix” need stirring. If the container with oil has the designation “self mix”, then you do not need to shake the container, and after combining the substances, you can pour them into the tool tank
After preparing the fuel mixture for the trimmer, it remains to fill the tool and start working. How to properly refuel trimmers, lawn mowers, chainsaws and other types of motor vehicles, we will consider in detail.
How to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil instructions with a description
To cut grass in the country or in the field, you will need gasoline trimmers. They run on gasoline, unlike their electric counterparts. Far from many masters know how gasoline and oil for trimmers, petrol and lawn mowers are diluted. Step-by-step instructions for preparing the fuel mixture in the trimmer will be useful not only for beginners, but also for specialists who may be refueling chainsaws incorrectly.
Trimmer Ready Mixed Storage Tips
After refueling the trimmer, many put aside the mixture in the bottle until the next time. Sometimes this next time does not come soon, and stretches out until the next year. It is impossible to store the finished mixture for so long, as the oil decomposes. After preparing the mixture, it must be consumed within 1-2 weeks. In addition, it is also impossible to store the tool for a long time with the fuel mixture poured into the tank, since the effect will be the same. To prevent unforeseen circumstances, it is recommended to consider the following recommendations for storing a ready-made gasoline-oil mixture:
- Prepare the fuel mixture in the amount that will be used. If you don’t know how much fuel you use, then it is better to cook less
- If a fuel mixture remains in the trimmer tank (when the tool is hidden until the next season), then it must be completely used up or drained
- Before adding the prepared mixture to the tank, stir it thoroughly
- Store the prepared mixture in a tightly curled container, as well as in a place limited to exposure to sunlight
Subject to all recommendations, the service life of the trimmer will be no less than indicated in the instructions. The use of high-quality consumables in pairs, observing the recommendations for preparing the mixture in the trimmer, will entail a long and effective service of the gasoline tool.
Oil selection rules
Engine oil, depending on the chemical composition, is:
- mineral. made from petroleum distillates and designed for low-power air-cooled equipment;
- semi-synthetic. is a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils and is suitable for 2T and 4T, as well as for air and liquid cooling;
- synthetic. made on the basis of esters and can be used in powerful technology, as well as for work in difficult climatic conditions.
Important! Oils for two-stroke and four-stroke engines differ in their ability to dissolve, burn and evaporate. At the same time, in order for the liquid lubricant to differ from gasoline, it is painted in different colors: blue, green, red.
Depending on the API classification, the following groups of oils for trimmer motors can be distinguished:
- TA. for low-power equipment with an engine volume of up to 50 cm³ and air cooling;
- TV. for powerful equipment with a motor volume of 50-200 cm³ and an air cooling system;
- TS. for powerful two-stroke equipment (lawn mowers, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.) with an engine volume of 50-200 cm³;
- TD. for engines of boats with liquid cooling.
To select the optimal oil for a particular trimmer model, it is better to take into account the recommendations specified in the instructions. For 2T lawn mowers, API-TB and API-TC oil is usually used.
On a note! In addition, there is a JASO classification for two-stroke engines, and SAE30 is still used for four-stroke engines.
Leading garden equipment manufacturers develop and produce oils for their equipment themselves. Such lubricating compositions most fully satisfy all the technical and operational characteristics of a specific series of trimmers. For example, for Stihl (Stihl) FS 5 lawn mowers it is best to use Stihl HP or Stihl HP SUPER oil, for Husqvarna 143R it is best to use Husqvarna HP or Husqvarna LS oil. But for the Patriot brand, ordinary mineral oil M-8B is also suitable.
Features of refueling a lawn mower
Lawn mowers are divided into two-stroke and four-stroke depending on the engine design. In the first case, the piston in an internal combustion engine makes 2 strokes in one working cycle, and in the second case. 4 strokes. Differences in the principle of operation of the engine also cause different approaches to refueling the trimmer.
Refueling the two-stroke lawn mower
In ordinary household models, the lawn mower usually uses a two-stroke engine. Lawn mowers do not need a lot of power and agility, so it is quite suitable for the task at hand. In addition, this engine is much cheaper and simpler, but it is fueled with a mixture of oil and gasoline. Such fuel is poured into the carburetor and fed into the cylinder in the form of oil-gasoline mist. Thus, the oil provides lubrication of all the necessary parts, and in the process of engine operation, it burns along with gasoline. However, the combustion of this mixture is accompanied by the release of a pungent odor and smoke, which increases the toxicity of exhaust gases.
Important! For such lawn mowers, you need to use a special oil for two-stroke engines, which burns completely without leaving a burn, and has a low evaporation rate. And so that it mixes well with gasoline, it contains 20% solvent.
Consequences of refueling with a mixture with incorrect proportions
When diluting fuels and lubricants, it is very important to adhere to the ratio recommended by the lawn mower manufacturer. If there is not enough oil, then scuffs will form on the piston and cylinder, which sooner or later will lead to a breakdown of the piston ring.
Important! In addition, as a result of friction, metal from the piston settles on the cylinder walls, and the engine can simply jam. This will require repair or replacement of the motor.
And with an excessive amount of oil, coking of the piston ring occurs, as well as the formation of carbon deposits on the piston, on the spark plug, etc. All this leads to heavy wear and tear of equipment and the need for constant cleaning.
Mixture storage rules
The remaining unused fuel mixture needs a dark, dry area where it can stay for up to 2 months. In general, there are different expert opinions on this matter:
- for mineral oils the shelf life is 7-10 days, after which their lubricating properties are lost;
- for semi-synthetic and synthetic brands, there is evidence that they are stored from 30 days to 2 months.
After a longer period of time, it is recommended to change the fuel to a fresher and newer one.
So, above was described in detail the process of how to properly dilute the gas mixture for two-stroke lawn mowers. To avoid damage to the trimmer due to insufficient oil or frequent cleaning and unstable operation due to excess lubricant, you should carefully read the operating instructions for the lawn mower and follow it scrupulously.
How to properly dilute gasoline for a trimmer
Depending on the trimmer type, they can be filled with a fuel mixture or separately with gasoline and oil. Now there is a huge variety of types of motor oils that are suitable for various equipment, including gardening. In order to choose the right fuel for a particular lawn mower model, you need to know its technical features and understand the brands of gasoline and liquid lubricants. All the details on how to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil are in the material below.
Refueling the four-stroke lawn mower
Four-stroke engines are used in professional lawn mowers. They have great power and can work for a long time without interruption and refueling. They also use gasoline and oil as fuel, but they are poured into different tanks. This means that the oil does not participate in the combustion process, therefore the exhaust gases are not so toxic.
On a note! Along with better environmental performance and the ability to heat less, four-stroke lawn mower engines are also more economical. They consume much less fuel. savings of up to 50% for gasoline and up to 80% for oil.
Rules for pouring the mixture into different engines
All of the above is relevant for two-stroke engines. In the case of four-stroke engines, nothing needs to be diluted and mixed. gasoline is poured into the fuel tank and oil into the crankcase. It is important to know that a two-stroke lawnmower cannot be supplemented with oil that is designed for a four-stroke engine or for a liquid cooling system. Otherwise, the entire piston system will be disabled or severe overheating will occur.
Important! For the first filling of a four-stroke engine, no more than 90 ml of oil can be poured into a special tank.
Gasoline for two-stroke engines
Everything is simple here. ordinary motor gasoline is used. In terms of octane number, in general, you should be guided by the instructions in the operating manual. If this moment is not specifically spelled out there, or a choice is provided by octane number, usually between 92 and 95 gasoline, then I recommend using only 95 gasoline! Many people still believe that any gasoline is obtained from 80 by adding additives and, accordingly, 95 is worse, since it contains more of these additives due to the octane number. Friends, this is not the case for a long time! Naturally, additives have always been used and will always be used. But be aware that 80 gasoline is practically not produced by any large refinery in Russia, and the difference in the cost of 92 and 95 gasoline for factories is almost the same, so no one now receives 95 gasoline out of 92, these are all old bikes.
Do not hesitate and feel free to buy 95 gasoline instead of 92
But if you refuel your motorized equipment 95 with gasoline (unless the instructions clearly indicate otherwise), then you will almost certainly avoid detonation when the motor is running and, accordingly, extend its life. Naturally, we do not forget that you should buy gasoline only at large network gas stations, where you will almost completely buy high-quality gasoline.
How to prepare a mixture for two-stroke engines of various motorized equipment
Here, in any case, you should familiarize yourself with the instruction manual of your device, be it a chainsaw trimmer or something else. The fact is that different manufacturers give different recommendations for the oil-gasoline ratio. It can be 1:40 and 1:50 and 1:80. It also happens that the recommended ratio is indicated on the oil canister itself. In general, I personally use a 1:50 ratio. In general, don’t worry too much if the manufacturer recommends using a ratio of 1:50, and you made a mixture of 1:40 or 1:60. Nothing will happen at once, even if you generate a whole tank. It’s just that in the first case, the smoke of the exhaust may increase. I happened to see people who prepared a mixture by eye and, in the absence of special oil, used ordinary olive oil! And nothing terrible happened. Personally, I prepare a mixture for all my devices with a two-stroke engine as follows: I take a 2 liter bottle from Pepsi, for example, and to measure the oil I use a regular 40 gram glass of vodka. Thus, the ratio is 1:50. The cooking technology itself is as follows. pour oil into a bottle through a funnel and then fill the bottle halfway with gasoline. Half so that it is easier to mix. After that, shaking and rotating the bottle, mix its contents until a uniform color, depending on the oil, it can be reddish, yellowish or even bluish. After mixing, fill in the remaining half of the gasoline and shake it once more. Everything. the mixture is ready to use.
How to prepare a mixture for two-stroke engines
Friends, here is summer on the doorstep, that is, the season begins, and this is always some kind of work on your site near the cottage or in the country using garden and other motorized equipment and therefore I am often asked how to prepare a mixture for two-stroke engines and which one to choose for them gasoline and oil.
Most garden motor vehicles such as trimmers, chainsaws, brush cutters, some lawn mowers and motor cultivators (there are models with a 4-stroke engine among them) are equipped with two-stroke internal combustion engines, that is, as the name implies, the work process in them occurs in two strokes, and not 4 as, for example, in most gasoline car engines. It is important for you and me now that two-stroke engines usually have a single lubrication and power system, that is, a gasoline-oil mixture is poured into the fuel tank. Therefore, let’s analyze the question of how to prepare a fuel mixture for two-stroke engines, which oil and gasoline to choose.
this is how a two-stroke engine works
Two-stroke engine oil
Well, speaking about oil for two-stroke engines, I would also like to note that there is no point in using the original branded oil, which the manufacturer of your chainsaw or trimmer insists on. This is all marketing and often branded oil is just some ordinary oil from one of the many manufacturers who have an agreement with the brand of your motorcycle and, accordingly, their label is a big name and the price is three times more expensive.
Well, in conclusion, it is worth noting that you should not store the prepared fuel mixture for a long time, the fact is that the oil dissolved in gasoline does not retain its properties for a very long time. Additives, etc., can be destroyed. Therefore, it is optimal to store the prepared mixture for no more than a month, and maximum no more than three. As an indirect reference point of suitability, the absence of sediment and stratification of the mixture can be considered.
How to dilute the fuel mixture for a chainsaw? Cooking materials
First you need to prepare everything you need, namely gasoline and oil. It is recommended to purchase gasoline AI-92 or AI-95. Other species with the lowest octane number should not be used. The chainsaw also comes with a special synthetic engine oil designed specifically for a two-stroke engine. Attention! Gasoline must not be diluted with four-stroke engine oil and boat engine oils as an alternative.!
The official manufacturer of a particular brand of chainsaw offers a number of universal additives to its fuel mixture that help improve the performance of a two-stroke engine. It is recommended not to bypass this issue.
In addition to gasoline and engine oil, you will also need a clean, dry container. Do not neglect this advice: the container must be dry without fail, since drops of water and any foreign objects can significantly harm the heart of the chainsaw. its engine!
How to dilute gasoline for a chainsaw
- How to dilute gasoline for a chainsaw
- How to break in a chainsaw
- How to adjust the carburetor of the Ural chainsaw
How to dilute chainsaw fuel mixture? Instructions for use
If everything that is needed to prepare the fuel mixture is at hand, then you can proceed to action. So, the standard ratio of gasoline to oil is the following: 1 to 40 or 1 to 50. It is worth noting that these indicators may differ from one or another manufacturer of chainsaws, so it is certainly recommended to find out your own ratio, which is indicated on the can with engine oil supplied complete with chainsaw.
Manufacturers of modern chainsaws recommend that all owners of this tool acquire a special chain oil. The fact is that its use will reduce the volume of the consumed fuel mixture.
If, for some reason, more engine oil has been added than the norm, then it is recommended to increase the amount of gasoline in proportion to the amount of oil already added. You should also monitor the lack of oil in the fuel: if it was added below the norm, then over time, scuffs will begin to appear on the engine pistons.
As soon as the engine oil and gasoline are added in the required amount into a single and dry (!) Container, it must be closed with a tight lid, and then all the “ingredients” must be thoroughly mixed. It is not necessary to prepare a large amount of fuel mixture for the chainsaw, since its shelf life should not exceed one month. If the fuel mixture is stored for more than a month, then its oxidation and loss of all lubricating properties cannot be avoided. In addition, chainsaw damage cannot be avoided.
Correctly mixed mixture will ensure uninterrupted operation of the engine, complete combustion of fuel without the formation of carbon deposits, smoke or scuffing.
For the mixture, you must use 92 gasoline and two-stroke engine oil (synthetic).
Fuel below 92, with a lower octane number will not work. The 95th is not recommended, because it contains many different additives that can negatively affect the operation of gasoline equipment.
Knead the mixture before each application of the technique. Don’t mix too much.
The oil-fuel mixture cannot be stored for more than 2 weeks, then irreversible oxidation processes occur, and changes in the composition of the mixture.
The proportion is as follows:
that is, for 1 liter of gasoline. 20 milliliters of oil.
(or this is the proportion of 100 ml of oil per 5 liters of gasoline).
A full tank at full load lasts from 30 to 45 minutes, if you do not plan to use the equipment for so long, do not fill a full tank.
Do not use old gasoline, it wears out over time and the octane number changes.
Never refuel a gasoline-powered tool with a 2-stroke engine with clean gasoline, as this can lead to serious and costly repairs.
You can only refuel with a gasoline-oil mixture.
Why the wrong proportion can disable the technique?
The thing is that, unlike 4-stroke, 2-stroke engines do not have an external lubrication system for the internal parts of the engine, a properly prepared fuel mixture is very important for them.
If you add a little oil, then the lubricating properties of the mixture will decrease, this will lead to quick wear of the equipment.
Conversely, if you add too much oil. this will violate the combustible properties of the mixture and greatly reduce the power of the equipment.
The two-stroke engine does not have a separate oil sump, and all rubbing parts inside the engine are lubricated with oil. which is contained in the fuel mixture.
The oil should lubricate all rubbing surfaces inside the engine and burn without the formation of carbon deposits. This is the fundamental difference between oils for 2-stroke engines and 4-stroke.
In addition to the above functions, the oil should:
- to seal the gaps, primarily between the parts of the cylinder-root group, to prevent and minimize the breakthrough of gases from the combustion chamber.
- remove heat generated by fuel combustion and friction.
- prevent corrosion of engine parts.
How to knead?
Mix ingredients in petrol resistant containers, not in the tank itself!
Pour gasoline into a clean and dry canister, then add oil there.
It is not necessary in the reverse order. the oil poured first will stick to the bottom and can hardly be mixed later, you will have to put in more effort.
After adding both ingredients, close the container tightly, and shake thoroughly, actively mixing the components.
Preparation of a fuel mixture for gasoline-powered tools
Many articles have been written about the preparation of the “correct” fuel mixture for gasoline-powered tools, not to mention discussion on the forums. But, despite such an abundance of information, often very contradictory, the topic has not been fully disclosed. The following article on the preparation of a fuel mixture was written by one of the most respected users of our forum, a person who is well versed in this topic. His advice can be very useful for many.
To prepare the “correct” fuel mixture, the following conditions must be met
Use gasoline with an octane rating of at least 90. For Russia, this means A-92 or AI-92, but not higher. Fake 92 is relatively rare. And higher-octane craftsmen “prepare” from the cheapest by adding temporary additives. A few days after the purchase, gasoline may again become low-grade.
During storage, polymerization occurs (especially in the light), resins gradually increase, forming carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, so it is advisable to use gasoline within 3 months after production. It is necessary to change the fuel when changing the season of the year, since the gas station sells summer or winter;
Oil for preparing the fuel mixture needs a special one within its shelf life;
The trade in consumables gives tool makers a share of the profits, so they are interested in selling their oils. Quality oils recommended by such manufacturers as Stihl, Husqvarna, Oregon, Makita (they do not make them themselves, only sell them under their own brand) can be interchangeable. It is necessary to take into account the manufacturer’s recommendations, if they are not available. the degree of engine boost (this is indicated by the ratio of engine volume and power, as well as indirectly, the number of maximum revolutions). For example, in Russia, cheap gost oil M-12TP is sold for preparing a fuel mixture of 1:50, but it is suitable for domestic saws Druzhba, Ural, Taiga with a low number of revolutions; it is dangerous to use it for high-powered engines of imported saws.
Oils are classified as mineral, semi-synthetic and synthetic. Semi-synthetics give less carbon formation, and synthetics burn out almost completely. But semi-synthetics and synthetics from leading manufacturers are expensive and for this reason are absent on our market, while Chinese products do not always inspire confidence. (It is worth paying attention to very affordable high-quality oils from St. Petersburg NANOTEKA.)
It is better to buy oil in containers of 0.1-0.2 liters, because a household user will not have enough shelf life to use oil in a container, even 1 liter (only mineral Stihl has no shelf life restrictions).
Fuel mixture preparation
Common oils are 2% (1:50 by volume, that is, 20 ml of oil for each liter of gasoline), but your tool must meet the manufacturer’s requirements (for Partner 1:40, for Chinese firms 1:25).
The ratio must be observed carefully using oil and gasoline measurements. A lack of oil causes scuffing of rubbing surfaces and accelerated wear of bearings, and an excess reduces the octane number of the mixture, it burns with detonation (supersonic propagation of a combustion wave with shock loads on the cylinder-piston group) and increased carbon formation, the engine life is reduced, and the user inhales exhaust gases from unburned oil.
The shelf life of the finished mixture is limited to weeks due to the destruction of oil additives during storage. Better yet, cut it down to a few days. Ideally, the volume of the mixture is best prepared for use within one day. Not later than a few days after the end of work, it is better to drain the remaining mixture from the saw tank and use it for other technical purposes, and start the saw and at idle speed to develop the remaining gasoline in the carburetor.
The measurements on sale allow you to prepare a fixed volume of the mixture, each with its own (the smallest one known to me. 1 liter). What if you need to cut 1-2 boards to size? Just make a measurement for yourself with a variable amount of the mixture being prepared. A laboratory graduated cylinder is used for calibration.
Making a homemade measure
As a measure of the mixture, a transparent plastic bottle is used (usually 0.5. 1 l is sufficient), as rigid as possible. Otherwise, if the measure with the mixture spontaneously crumples when refueling, you can pour over your hands and the saw.
Pour 102, 204, 306, 408, 510, 612, 714, 816, 1020 ml of water into the bottle one by one (pouring out the previous portion each time) and so on with a step of 102 ml (cc), applying for each portion an indelible line of insoluble in gasoline with paint on the wall of the bottle (along the lower meniscus). At the same time, the bottle should stand horizontally, without tilting. Next to each line, in the same order, apply the numbers 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 and so on;
Use a full plastic syringe without a 10.20 ml needle as the oil scoop (corresponding to the largest number on the scale for the mixture).
Attention, measured for a ratio of 1:50! Oil pitch for this measurement. 2 ml, although the calculation can be performed for any step and oil ratio (for example, you need a 3 ml step: 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. Multiply each number by 51 (1 part of oil 50 parts of gasoline = 51 parts of the mixture ) and make marks on the measure corresponding to 153, 306, 459, 612 ml, etc., near which you write 3, 6, 9, 12, respectively).
Fuel mixture application
Estimate the amount of work for the saw, for example, you assume that the volume is enough for you, against the line of which the number 4 stands. Draw 4 ml of oil with a syringe, pour it into the measuring instrument, then draw gasoline into the syringe, shake it and also pour it into the measuring instrument (this is necessary to clean from oil). To measure up to line 4, add gasoline, close the lid. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Refueling the gasoline-powered tool. That’s all!
A measure with a variable amount of mixture is inconvenient only because you need to manipulate a syringe to dispense oil.
I will give an example of making a measurement with a fixed volume (1:50)
Correct Way To Mix Gas and Oil For a ChainSaw, WeedEater etc. Video
A transparent plastic bottle should have a high narrow neck, like a classic glass bottle. In the upper part of the neck under the cap, draw a line that is indelible with gasoline. Pour up to the water line (along the lower meniscus), then pour water into a laboratory graduated cylinder and determine its volume in ml. Against the line, put the number of the volume of water (so that you can imagine how much you prepare the mixture with this measure). Divide the volume of water by 51 and multiply by 50. The result will correspond to the volume of gasoline. Pour the volume of water corresponding to this number into the measure. Draw a second line along the lower meniscus of the water level. The measure is ready (the difference in volumes between the upper and lower lines corresponds to the volume of oil).
Application: pour gasoline into the measure to the bottom line, top up with oil to the top line. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Refueling the gasoline-powered tool. To prepare different volumes of the mixture, you need to have a set of such measurements from bottles of different sizes.
Keep the measure or measurements between uses loosely closed (tightly closed is deformed due to a decrease in internal pressure with a gradual leakage of gasoline vapors through the plastic), and the syringe is better in some kind of tight-fitting plastic box or film (from contamination with atmospheric dust).
Vladimir Skatintsev, forestry engineer, Ural
about engine oil and other fuels and lubricants for cars and motor vehicles.
Forum Discussion: Fuel Blend