How To Make A Potato Digger For A Tiller With Your Own Hands
How to make a potato digger for a tiller with your own hands drawings
Planting, growing and especially harvesting potatoes is not an easy job. Anyone who has done this work at least once should remember the sensations of endless swinging a shovel while digging out potatoes. We invite you to find out how to make a potato digger with your own hands for a tractor. Drawings and photos from this article will help you make high-quality equipment at minimal cost.
Construction of potato digger for tiller “Neva
A little ingenuity and the availability of materials at hand tell the amateur gardener the way to create an excellent means of small-scale mechanization of labor. The potato digger for the tiller “Neva” is easy to assemble. We offer a brief description of the necessary materials and the sequence of assembly of individual elements, the dimensions and drawing of the mechanism, as well as how to make a do-it-yourself potato digger for a tractor.
A DIY potato digger for a tractor removes potato tubers from the ground and leaves them on the surface. It remains only to collect the potatoes.
To make a potato digger for a tiller according to the drawings, you need to prepare:
- Corner 63×40 mm for a welded frame;
- Channel No 8;
- Metal plates for making plowshares with a size of 8 mm.
See: Homemade Potato Digger to Tiller
The frame of the potato digger for the tiller is according to the drawings and is welded from the corner and channel. You can customize your equipment. To make a tiller potato digger, you need to follow these steps:
- The share is assembled from metal plates and fixed to the elevator casing.
- The elevator can change the angle and this changes the digging angle.
- Parts that will participate in the direct digging process must be sharpened round. This will help avoid cutting the potato tubers during digging.
- The reduction unit is made of 2 cylindrical housings of different diameters connecting the driving and driven shafts, which are made of steel.
- Sprockets with welded hubs are fixed on the shaft keys.
Interesting: Roaring potato digger for tiller. Dimensions
Another detail of the potato digger is the cleaning drum, which is a construction of two roller chains put on rods. For durability, the structure is mounted on curved discs. The rotating shaft transmits the movement to the sprockets, from which the axes of the cleaner drum rotate. The slider is made of plastic, which ensures good sliding of the chain. The digger input shaft is mounted in a casing. A sprocket with a bearing is attached to the input axle. Spacer sleeves are attached to both sides of the sprocket.
See the drawings of the potato digger on the tiller:
Now you know how the potato digger for the Neva tiller is made with your own hands. Dimensions according to drawings and. The use of agricultural machinery, even assembled by hand, significantly reduces the time of routine and laborious agricultural operations. It will also increase yields and better preserve potatoes grown using advanced technologies.
Drum type potato digger
The drum-type potato digger has performed well in large-area harvesting. This unit consists of three parts:
- Frames with wheels;
- Knife (ploughshare);
- A rotating drum made of steel rods.
The knife is hinged to the frame. It cuts the soil, which, along with the tubers, enters the drum. When the drum rotates, lumps of soil are broken and the earth wakes up through the grate down. Potatoes move to the end of the drum and fall onto the arable land.
The drum is connected to the tractor shaft through gear drives, chains and a reducer, from where torque is transmitted to it. The wide blade cuts deep into the soil, which reduces crop losses to a minimum, and the passage of tubers through the cavity of the drum does not damage them. This unit justifies the cost and time for its manufacture with high performance.
How to make a homemade potato digger for a tiller
Before you start making a potato digger for a tiller, you should decide what kind of digger you want to have in your farm. This largely depends on the density of the soil, since, for example, a simple lancet digger can easily handle light soils. With a soil with a dense structure, a simple digger will not help you much. here a design with a conveyor mechanism is more appropriate.
It is quite easy to make a simple potato digger. it does not require special knowledge and skills.
Drawing of a fan potato digger for tiller
The lancet bipod can be cut from an old shovel, and fork teeth or rebar are used as guide rods.
The most effective share for a potato digger is in the shape of a “dovetail”, also called an “active dolphin”.
DIY potato digger. equipment, materials, manufacturing procedure
Quick harvesting is important not only for farmers, but also for owners of private plots. Digging potatoes in one or two days is especially important in cold, rainy autumn, when it is difficult to choose a fine day to go to the fields. The potato digger will help to speed up the work, you can make a simple and effective unit with your own hands, which is not inferior in performance to factory counterparts.
Fan potato digger for tiller
The fan potato digger has several names. It is also called lancet digger and paw. Manufacturers of agricultural machinery call this model “Dolphin” because of the characteristic shape of the plow (share). The unit is simple in design and removes tubers well from the ground.
- The digger is attached to the tiller.
- A ploughshare with a sharp end loosens the earth.
- The potato is removed from the ground, falls on the inclined surface of the share and moves onto the metal rods.
- The soil is separated from the tubers and pours into the arable land through the twigs.
- Potatoes, moving up the raised twigs, fall to the ground where they can be harvested.
Digging with a fan digger allows the presence of rare and low weed in the field. Potato tops are mowed before harvesting.
Which potato digger is better?
If you don’t want to spend money on buying a factory-made potato digger, you can make this unit yourself. For small areas, a simple fan digger is enough. If potatoes are grown annually in large areas, not only for themselves, but also for sale, it is better to choose a screening or conveyor potato digger.
Mechanical devices for digging potatoes allow you to quickly harvest and clear the crop from the ground. At the same time, with mechanized harvesting, there will always be crop losses, since the steel ploughshare does not extract tubers from the potato bushes that have grown to the sides. Potato diggers do not dig up tubers that sit deep in the soil. This happens if the land is too loose and fertile.
DIY vibration option
The digger of the screening (or vibration) type has moving parts, which significantly complicates the design, therefore the mechanism requires precise manufacturing. However, a device of this type performs well on hard and wet ground, pruning it well. You need to know how to make a potato digger with your own hands without the use of outside help in order to save money.
- Form the frame. Saw the pipe into 4 pieces. It is advisable to use blanks with a square section. these are easier to dock. You need two segments 120 cm long, and two 80 cm long. The pipe section is 4 by 4 cm.The parts are welded into a rectangle.
- Jumpers are installed that will serve as the base of the control rods. On the one hand, the elements are mounted on a quarter of the length of the frame base, and on the other, two blanks for fastening the wheels. To do this, you need two tubes with a diameter of 3 cm and a length of 15 cm.
- Install the racks vertically. From the side where the jumpers are located, at a distance of 5 mm from the edge of the frame, 2 sheets of 50 cm long are fixed.At a distance of 20 cm from them, 4 cm long racks are installed.Then another 40 cm recede and 30 cm long racks are placed.
- The Ralo is made of sheet metal. It should be 40 by 40 cm in size and at least 3 mm thick. The workpiece is rigidly attached to the racks from below. The second workpiece, 70 by 70 cm in size and 4 mm thick, is butt welded to the first, then a cone shape is bent with a sledgehammer.
- The lattice is made of metal rods with a diameter of 1 cm. At the bottom they are attached to the rail, and the other end extends beyond the perimeter of the frame. You will need 10 to 15 rods. For additional rigidity, two rods should be welded across the structure.
- The wheels are installed in a pre-prepared place.
Manufacturing work is simple. From what requires special skills, you only need to be able to work with welding. Drawings and dimensions of a home-made screening digger may differ depending on the model of the MTZ mini-tractor or tiller. For the latter, a device should be made that will not interfere with control. Do not forget about weight. managing a bulky mechanism will be very tiring.
Roaring Potato Digger
This potato digger is also called vibrating potato digger, shaker digger. The roaring potato digger consists of three parts. a knife, a moving grate with mechanisms that ensure its vibration, and a metal frame (frame).
The potato digger is made within a few hours; the work requires experience and skill in working with agricultural machinery. For the manufacture of the unit you will need:
- Angle Grinder;
- Welding machine;
- Drill, drill bits for metal;
- Metal profile with a side of a square 2.5 cm;
- Steel sheet 3-5 mm thick;
- Steel wire with a diameter of 8 mm (or non-corrugated reinforcement of the same diameter);
- Bolts, hinges, levers, eccentric, measuring tape, consumables.
You will also need a ruler and a pencil for marking. The order of work in the manufacture of a roaring potato digger:
- Measure and cut a metal profile for the frame (frame);
- The frame is welded;
- At the bottom of the frame, wheel stands are welded;
- Holders for hinges are welded inside the frame, on which the screen will be suspended;
- Brackets are welded to the frame for installing the gearbox and mechanisms that will create reciprocating movements (vibration) in the unit;
- A sieve box (roar) is welded from metal rods;
- The hinged screen is suspended inside the frame;
- A gearbox, other equipment for creating vibration is attached to the brackets, and they are connected to the roar. During operation, the rotation of the tiller shaft is transmitted through the mechanisms (lever and connecting rod) to the roar, the vibrations create the rotation of the eccentric;
- A potato digger knife is cut out of a steel sheet and bent to the desired shape;
- The hinged plowshare knife is attached to the lower part of the frame and the screen;
- The wheels are put on and fixed on the unit.
A ploughshare knife for a gravity potato digger is made in different shapes. It can be bent and pointed, convex and concave. Digging potatoes is as follows:
- The ploughshare goes deep into the ground and cuts it off along with the tubers.
- The knife constantly oscillates in accordance with the vibrations of the roar, cuts the soil with potatoes and throws the tubers up a little into the roar. The screen vibrates, reciprocates in the frame.
- The peeled tubers roll off the grate and fall onto the arable land behind the potato digger (or on the side of the strip, depending on the design of the unit).
The vibrating potato digger is used to harvest potatoes in large areas. This unit has a number of advantages:
- The grip of the strip is 38-40 cm.
- The depth of penetration of the knife into the soil. 20-25 cm.
- The yield loss is, depending on the variety of potatoes and the flowability of the soil, from 2 to 10%.
- The vibrating potato digger also has a number of disadvantages. They are due to design features.
- Sieve shaker vibrations are transmitted to the tiller control levers, making long-term work tiring.
When digging, the area must be completely cleared of weeds and potato tops. Otherwise, the grass and tops will be packed under the screen of the screen and into the wheel mounts.
In improved screen type potato diggers, vibration is damped by installing two eccentrics instead of one.
Homemade potato digger for tiller do it yourself
For villagers and owners of summer cottages, the problem of harvesting, especially potatoes, is very close due to its labor intensity. A small area can, of course, be dug out with a shovel, as is most often done. However, it is much easier and faster to harvest potatoes, even from two or three acres, using a potato digger for a tiller.
Types of potato diggers
In order to plow potatoes, you can also use a homemade tiller. But among the main types of mechanisms, several options stand out that have different characteristics, including the design of the potato digger.
- Vibrating (roaring). The main parts are plowshares and vibrating screens. Principle of action. a plowshare undermines the soil, which is sifted through a sieve, leaving the tubers in a kind of sieve;
- Conveyor. Installed on most types of tilers. Construction. conveyor, share. On the conveyor platform, there is a hook-type device that is used to hold and clear tubers from soil. It is practically not used in light soils;
- Ogival. Can be installed on any type of tiller. There are no motive nodes. During work, the earth is undermined with special cutting knives, after which the soil falls on the rods and sifted, leaving the potatoes. The device is most effective in low-density soil.
In this you will learn how to make a potato digger:
Three standard options form the basis of the simplest DIY potato digger for a tiller.
With regard to the types of diggers, a do-it-yourself rumbling potato digger for a tiller is very rarely created. This is due to the fact that the dimensions must be carefully adjusted, since otherwise the digging procedure will be incorrect. Basically, a cultivator is made on the basis of two other options.
Construction of lancet potato diggers
Arrowhead designs are the easiest option for self-creation. Main nuances:
- Not used for hard soil;
- Consists only of a knife, a soil fuse and a lattice of rods;
- The shape of the arrangement of the rods is a fan.
Due to the location of the rods on the mechanism, this option is also called fan. Digging potatoes with a fan tiller is a simple process. After the knife cuts through the soil, it goes up the twigs, which allows you to partially sift and capture the tubers.
The tiller potato planter must be strong and resistant to stress. If this condition is not met, then deformation of the fan will occur.
This unit has its pros and cons.
Drawings of homemade potato diggers
If you need to understand how to make a potato digger for a tiller with your own hands, you will need to watch and check the drawings and calculations in advance.
Any homemade potato digger for a tiller must be created based on the drawing. The drawings show:
- Dimensions of the structure;
- The main features of the selected tiller;
- Types of connections;
- Angles of inclination of parts and all fasteners.
Drawings are the basis for creating a potato digger
In fact, the drawing is not just a preliminary drawing, but a project that will be recreated with the specified features and calculations.
Equipment with conveyor
The conveyor conveyor potato digger has a standard form, in which the main elements are a share and a platform with a conveyor. Features:
- A conveyor is installed on the platform, the type of which is regulated by the requirements;
- Simple design allows installation on almost any variant of tillers, including domestic manufacturers;
- Often used in places with hard or loamy soil;
- The potato digger for the tiller is created strictly according to the specified parameters of the conveyor and platform, as this is necessary for normal digging of tubers.
When creating yourself, it is worth considering two factors that will affect installation and operation. The first factor is the size of the device to fit the mechanism to the chiller. The calculation should always be made taking into account the parameters of the technique. Another factor is the manifestation of versatility. Most homemade conveyor-type devices can be supplemented with secondary elements.
A homemade design should consist of several basic elements
Any homemade version has a basic set of elements that will be required during manufacture. List:
- Channel made of metal, preferably stainless type, with a thickness of about 1 cm;
- Metal-type corners in 3 and 4 cm cross-section;
- Steel frame with a diameter of 1 cm;
- Sheet metal 0.5 cm;
- Set of nuts and bolts.
Additionally, tools are always required, including standard ones, for example, a wrench for the size of bolts and nuts.
A tape measure and angle grinder are also required. A welding machine of any type is often used. It can be both gas electric welding and a portable electric welding machine. To create fasteners and holes, you will need not only a drill, but also a set of drills that are suitable in size.
All materials must be prepared before starting work. The list is compiled on the basis of the created project, that is, if the drawing is drawn up according to an individual plan, then the set of materials will also be specific.
The specified standard set of materials will be required for standard device creation.
Features of screening structures
Any tiller with a potato digger has its own characteristics, including a rumbling design.
Creating a vibratory structure will require the following tools:
- Angle type grinder;
- Drill or engraver.
Fasteners will also be needed.
As with any option, a frame is initially created that will carry the entire structure and elements.
Additional and basic elements are already being attached to the frame. Features:
- The whole process of creation is regulated by a drawing with all calculations;
- Any type of attachment must be prepared in advance;
- Any deviation from the project leads to incorrect or defective work;
- After creating a device, adjustment is needed.
When self-made, the mechanism can have significant differences from the conveyor version. It all depends only on the model of the tiller, as well as on the capabilities of the creator of the homemade mechanism.
You will need welding to create screening structures
The procedure for making a potato digger with your own hands
Digging potatoes with a tiller requires the implementation of all the rules for creating a mechanism that carries out the process. The potato planter for the tiller is done according to the established plan. The manufacturing order does not change, depending on the design of the mechanism. Stages:
- Choosing a potato digger option;
- Preparation of materials;
- Calculations and creation of a drawing, on the basis of which the mechanism will be made in the future;
- Design creation and fitting on equipment;
- Trial work.
A trial digging of potatoes with a tiller is a must. Without testing, it is impossible to fully configure the operation of the unit.
The main point is the creation of the structure. Initially, you will need to collect the necessary materials and tools. Next, blanks are created according to the drawings. Each element must have strictly designated dimensions. By design, the first is the creation of a frame (frame), on which the rest is already attached, including a knife or ploughshare. After the frame is created, preliminary work with the fasteners is carried out. Only after that the mechanism is assembled and installed on the equipment.
The potato planter is attached to the tiller only after preliminary fitting and adjustment according to the parameters. Fastening can be carried out using separate fasteners or a welded strip.
Is it possible to make a potato digger for a tiller yourself
Auto mechanic specializing in agricultural machinery
Collecting potatoes is an energy-intensive process. The potato digger mounted on the tiller makes this task easier and makes the procedure mechanized. To dig up potatoes with a tiller, you need a special device. It’s called a potato digger. There is a lot on the internet on this topic. The mechanism itself for digging potato tubers with a tiller can be different, including collected independently. To do this, you need to know the basic nuances.
The assembly process is regulated by the basic rules, as well as by the features of the device. Each type of mechanism has its own order and assembly conditions. Except for the standard rules, several conditions must be met:
- The connection of structural elements is performed on the basis of an existing platform or eye;
- It is the supporting element of the structure that is initially installed;
- Fitting of parts is in accordance with the parameters indicated in the drawing or diagram;
- The assembly process is decomposed into stages, depending on the complexity of the design;
- The last stage is the fitting of the structure to the technique and the test run.
The last stage in the assembly is the most important, as it allows you to eliminate deficiencies even before starting the main workflow.
The most difficult option is to create a homemade roaring (vibration structure). Self-assembly process:
- The first stage is considered the moment of frame creation;
- The frame is constructed from 4 corners: 2. 0.8 m each, 2. 1.2 m each;
- Several jumpers are fixed to the resulting rectangle, through which the equipment is controlled due to the vertical thrust;
- The shaft for the wheel system is attached;
- Several racks are installed and a metal sheet on them;
- After that, a lattice base is created;
- The last step is to install wheels and adjusting rods.
The potato planter on the tiller is considered ready after checking the work, and not after fixing the entire structure.
With small errors in the calculations, the structure may have defects or incorrectly carry out the process of assembling the tubers. If you do not follow the established calculations and parameters of the circuit, then installing the mechanism on the equipment itself will become problematic. It is necessary in the manufacturing process to constantly carry out reconciliation in size with the required dimensions.
Most homemade options have a simpler collection scheme than the type presented. For example, the fan type, that is, the usual pointed potato planter on the tiller, is easy to assemble. A knife is installed on the base, including from corners and several mounts, which is surrounded by rows of metal pins. The main point is the correct placement of the rods, as this will affect the assembly efficiency.
Many types of homemade structures are universal and differ from conveyor models only in parameters and dimensions.
Harvesting root crops using a tiller and devices installed on it is preferable to a manual method. The potato digger can either be purchased for a specific model of equipment, or you can design it yourself. Each type of mechanism has its own characteristics and difficulties in manufacturing.