How To Make A Screwdriver From The Power Supply Network
DIY power supply for a 12v screwdriver Requirements of screwdrivers for a power source. Schematic and constructive performance of home-made power supplies for screwdrivers. Making a power supply for a 12v screwdriver with your own hands: using a computer power supply.
Switching power supplies are characterized by the fact that the step-down transformer in them operates at an increased frequency, as a result of which it has minimal dimensions at the same power. The overall dimensions of the device make it possible to place the structure in a standard case instead of faulty batteries. Of the minuses. The complexity of the design for self-repetition.
Due to the fact that the power supply is located outside the screwdriver body, there are no restrictions on its dimensions and weight, so it can be made with the desired power reserve. The only limitation is the length and cross-sectional area of the connecting cords between the instrument and the power source, because, according to Ohm’s law, when the voltage decreases with the same power consumption, the current increases, therefore the low-voltage power cord must have a larger cross-section than the 220 V mains supply. See also the requirement to minimize voltage drop across wires. A thick cord has increased weight and rigidity, which reduces the convenience of using the tool.
The undoubted advantage of built-in devices is that only a small-section power cord remains from the external parts. Not everyone can make such a power supply on their own. This requires a lot of experience, since small-sized powerful power supplies can only be made using a pulse circuit. The transformer of the required power of the classical design will not fit into the handle of a screwdriver, but with suitable dimensions it will have a power of several watts, which is enough only for idle operation.
Before you start remodeling the device, you need to choose the correct AC adapter for the screwdriver so that it fits into the battery case.
In addition, you need to remove everything in the middle, and measure the internal space, the sizes of the internal and external contents differ from each other.
Next, you should study the markings or design on the body of the working tool to determine the supply voltage. If the indicator is different from 12V, the search for a substitute device continues. Then it is necessary to calculate the current consumption of the screwdriver, such parameters are not indicated by the manufacturer. To do this, you need to know the power.
In order to exclude any calculations, you can also pick up the power supply by eye. During the purchase process, in addition to the “charging” current, ask about the battery capacity. Take, for example, a capacity of 1.2 Amperes, and charging is 2.5, then the resulting current should fluctuate approximately between these values. Before finding the missing power supply, it is recommended to display the following on paper:
- Minimum current
- Required supply voltage
The sequence of actions in the presence of the required block:
- After you find the optimal power supply and check it for similarities with the declared characteristics, the screwdriver is disassembled, and the old drive is removed. If the body is glued together, you can tap a little around the seam with a hammer. Or take a thin knife, placing it on the seam with a tip, gently knock with a hammer. The problem will be solved.
- The cord, as well as the leads from the plug, are separated by means of a soldering iron.
- The place previously occupied by the power supply of the cordless screwdriver contains the other contents of the case.
- The cord, connected to the network, comes out through the opening in the case, and is subsequently connected to the power supply with a soldering iron.
- Soldering again combines the output of the power supply together with the battery terminals. An important rule is the correct polarity.
- The power supply is connected to the device, after which testing takes place.
- If the dimensions of the new unit exceed the previous one, it is possible to embed it in the middle of the screwdriver handle.
- A diode of the required power is installed by a parallel supply output from the inside of the wire break “” between the battery socket, including its output, but with the “-” pole towards the engine. This is done so that voltage is not supplied from the mains to the battery.
List of materials and working tools
Transforming a cordless screwdriver into a network one is quite easy and educational. If you have the necessary skills and all the components, it will take a little time. You will need:
- Charger from a screwdriver;
- Outdated (“factory”) battery;
- Soft electric cable (stranded);
- Soldering iron, solder;
- Insulation tape.
Required materials and tools
Materials and tools for reworking a screwdriver completely depend on the type of tool and the type of power source, as well as its features. But to summarize, there are several main tools:
- Insulating materials;
- Cable for supplying electricity;
- Soldering iron and soldering materials;
- Any case for the future power supply.
How to do it yourself
Before remaking a screwdriver, it is necessary to clearly determine what power and what voltage the tool needs to work. From this it will be necessary to proceed.
Then the tool body is opened. The two halves of the case can be fastened with screws or with glue. A knife can be very useful when disassembling.
After opening the case, a power supply or a wire is inserted inside, the contacts of which must be soldered to the charger. Soldering should be as effective as possible, using special solutions.
The other end of the wire must be designed for power supply. So there should be a fork. It is recommended to make a hole in the housing in advance, through which the cable will pass.
A homemade power supply can be obtained in several ways. In any case, you will get a full-fledged tool that can be used to perform work after connecting to the network. It is advisable to pre-prepare a diagram that will help you avoid mistakes when creating a block.
Converting a screwdriver to mains power: 5 ways
The value of a screwdriver as a home or construction tool, most often, lies in its portability. However, due to certain circumstances, portability sometimes has to be abandoned in favor of functionality. It is about converting a cordless screwdriver into a mains-powered tool. This process has a number of subtleties that it is desirable to observe.
External power supply
The idea is not as absurd as it might seem. Even a large and heavy buck rectifier can just stand near the outlet.
You are equally tied to the power supply, and to the stuck mains plug. And the low-voltage cord can be made of any length.
Important! Ohm’s law says. With the same power, decreasing the voltage. We increase the current! Accordingly, the 12-19 volt supply cord should have a larger cross section than 220 volts.
We build in a ready-made power supply
To do this, you need to purchase a ready-made block with suitable characteristics and dimensions. There is enough of such stuff on the radio markets.
Take the body with you and go to the fitting. When the required power source is purchased, we carefully separate it from the case.
We place the screwdriver in the battery box. All components must be securely fastened.
If necessary, extend the wires between the control board and the transformer. If the circuit touches the metal parts of the transformer during operation, a short circuit will occur.
Since the space in the case allows. Separate the board and the transformer for better cooling. Whichever quality power supply you choose, the load will be high and overheating is possible.
It will not be superfluous to fix additional radiators on the power control microcircuits. Operate the screwdriver for a long time, disconnect it from the mains and touch the radio components on the control board.
You yourself will understand which elements need heat dissipation. Holes for air circulation can be made in the housing.
Redesigning the power supply unit with your own hands will not take much time, and the cost of the purchased module is incomparable with restoring the battery’s performance.
Conversion of a screwdriver from battery to mains supply
- Battery Disadvantages
- There is a way out. Reworking the screwdriver in the network
- External power supply
- Battery case power supply
- DIY screwdriver alteration
- Using a power supply from a personal computer
- Using a car battery charger
- Making a homemade power supply
- Ac adapter for screwdriver in battery housing
- We build in a ready-made power supply
- Homemade power scheme
Those who have used a cordless screwdriver have appreciated its convenience. At any time, without getting tangled in the wires, you can crawl into hard-to-reach niches. Until the battery runs out.