How to make a stand for the drill. Homemade drill stand: with their own hands, drawings, vertical drill holder, from a photo enlarger, from a steering rail
Making a stand for the drill on the drawings with their own hands
Using an electric drill or screwdriver in a thick workpiece or part is difficult to drill a hole that is strictly perpendicular to the base. Such work is easily covered by a simple drill press, but it is expensive to buy it for one-time work in financial terms. The way out can be the creation of a holder for the drill with their own hands. By the way, in conjunction with the stand can be used and dremel. Before proceeding to the manufacture of a holder for a vertical drilling drill, it is necessary to break down in detail all the pros and cons of such a solution.
To make a drilling machine from a drill with his own hands, you need to choose drawings based on the practicality of the machine. The advantages of a homemade stand:
On the Internet you can find many options for making a drilling machine from a drill with detailed drawings and a detailed description of all the work on its creation. You can always make adjustments to fit the finished product “to yourself”.
- The possibility to decide by oneself on the necessary functionality of the tool.
- You can save the family budget. Of course, you can buy an inexpensive Chinese rack for 20. but its functionality and quality is not enough even for simple domestic tasks.
- For manufacturing, you can use improvised materials, which are available in any household.
- The work to create a stand for a drill is not complicated, but doing it, you acquire the skills that will be useful for the manufacture of more complex products.
To the conditional disadvantages we can include the fact that the manufacture requires the use of tools that not every master has. It is also very difficult to achieve minimal backlash at home.
What is a stand for a drill?
As a matter of fact, any device, by means of which a person can fix equipment in a stationary condition, can be called a rack, and the device should be able to withstand a peak vertical/horizontal load, which will be less than the load applied by the person using the tool for his/her own purposes.
1) Design varieties of drill stands
When drilling thin and soft materials, especially under perpendicular, even an amateur would have no problem. Another thing is when a person needs to drill/peel through hard/thick material at a certain angle. The task becomes ten times more difficult, and the risk of making a mistake is too great. To help solve the problem, precisely, comes the stand.
Note: A well-made stand in combination with a drill or mill vise turns from an ordinary auxiliary tool into a full-fledged machine tool.
Today, you can find a rack on the market for every taste and purse size. Another question is how versatile the tool will be in domestic use under the buyer’s equipment. There are situations when a factory-made stand satisfies human needs by 20%-40%, even though it is head over heels above the competition.
A machine tool design based on a drill and rack:
- Stand. The base on which all the components of the future design are placed. The size and quality of the design determine the overall strength of the attachment.
- Carriage. Functional unit that is fixed on the stand and acts as a hand drill holder. Moving occurs through the use of elements, rails from the furniture.
- Handle. The controlling component of the assembly. Function. the holder for lowering the drill, drilling and returning the equipment to its original position.
- Auxiliary nodes. Increase the functionality of the assembly. For example, drilling holes with a drill bit at different angles, or milling very small parts.
You can see one factory-made example of a stand assembly in the picture above. As a starting material for the assembly can be wood, metal, or a combination of both. Some craftsmen make stands even for the fear of enlargers. The table below shows the classification of props in more detail.
|Principle of use||Stationary||Expensive purchase option which turns a small piece of equipment into a complete machine. Have a large size and weight. Due to the rigidity of their construction with the specified parameters, they are considered a reliable fixture for large drills and other power tools.|
|Mobile||Also known as guideways. They combine minimalism in size and weight with a high quality of drilling.|
|Functionality||Vertical||Racks with the highest stability. They have universal holders and are purchased in 90% of cases for small workshops and home use by car owners.|
|Rotary||Functionally more complex equipment. In addition to their vertical movement, the uprights have functional units for changing the drilling/tapping angle, thus extending the functional scope of the milling and polishing attachment.|
|Fixing||Mechanical||The classic version, which uses self-tapping screws, bolts and nuts with large diameter and other elements that fix the bed.|
|Magnetic||It is considered the best option in terms of convenience/quality. Stability is ensured by an electromagnetic field, which is able to fix the stands in both horizontal and vertical positions.|
|Vacuum||The reliability of the method is not inferior to the magnetic, but such stands on the market will cost 2-4 times more expensive than magnetic.|
Regardless of the purpose of the drill, one rule must be followed. the larger the drill, the larger and more powerful the structural solution to hold it in place. Do not joke with such things, because every puncture can cost a person’s health.
2) Purchase or self-made?
Any stand is useful, but there are nuances in all factory models of equipment. Not surprisingly, the number of orders from folk craftsmen of self-made racks has recently increased. a person can sketch the desired parameters of the future device, and fit it under the existing electrical equipment. The same drill, drill bit, or router that was purchased a couple of months/years ago.
|Cheapness in manufacturing. The price difference between the factory version and the same own-handed version can reach 300%-500%.||Making some of the rack elements may require additional tools and machines that a person does not have readily available.|
|The fabrication can be performed with the broken home appliances that just lying around in the garage of a classic set of improvised means that can be found in the garage of 95% of the owners.||Because of the punctures during assembly, ready-made structures often backlash, which reduces the final quality of the work when using the device.|
|Blueprints, text algorithms for assembling a drill stand with your own hands with video and photo instructions. all of this is freely available on the Internet, and a person can find it in a couple of minutes.||Homemade stands are not applicable for angular drilling. As a rule, the designs can only perform a vertical stroke of the carriage, which reduces the functionality by 50% compared to the factory (expensive) modifications.|
|The ability to make a complete machine from a drill, based on the parameters of the existing equipment in the garage.|
For 50% of users, the most important factor is price, the other 50% prefer a reasonable cost / quality ratio, but even so, to make a choice of factory stands of all the wide range on the market for the novice is difficult.
Vertical stand for an electric screwdriver with their own hands
In this case it is quite compact, because it is designed for use with an electric screwdriver.
However, you can adapt it and for an electric drill, increasing slightly in size. And then you get a homemade drill stand.
The advantage of this design is that it requires a small amount of materials. You don’t even need to buy many parts. you can find them in the garage.
Let’s make the stand for the drill stand from 20 mm plywood. You can also use a piece of wood.
First of all, saw off a piece of plywood to the right size. Then we mark and drill two holes in it. Using epoxy glue, glue the rails.
Round off the sharp corners of the base on a grinding machine. Then fabricate the sliding plate from wood or plywood.
In the moving part, drill 19 mm diameter holes for the bearings. Coat the outside of the bearings with epoxy adhesive and slide the bearings into the holes.
Screw an adapter into the drill chuck and put the round tube on it. It should not just be put on, but rigidly fixed with epoxy glue.
In the swivel part we drill the 29 mm diameter seats for the round bearings.
Put the first bearing on the tube and press it from underneath the plate. Then put the second bearing on the tube, and also press it into place. Use epoxy glue for reliability.
Put springs and washers on the guide. Then mount the mobile plate with the drill chuck.
It is necessary to press wooden “stoppers” on the upper part of the guide, to limit the stroke.
The drill chuck shank is clamped in the chuck of the electric screwdriver, and then, using a drill bit of suitable diameter, we drill a hole in the base.
This completes the process of craftsmanship. Then it only needs to be painted or coated with mineral oil. Of all the racks, this option is the easiest and most budget.
For details on how to make this device, see the author’s video.
How to choose the material
Before you make a homemade device for attaching a drill, select the right material. For this we will need:
- A thick board made of pine wood;
- 15 mm thick plywood
- furniture rails;
- profiled sheet metal;
- car bushing;
- metal pipe;
- wing nut;
- bolts and self-tapping screws for fixing parts.
All of the above materials must be prepared in advance, so that they are at hand.
How to make a drill stand with your own hands
How to make a stand for your own drill?
For many jobs at home and not only will come in handy boring machine of their own making. Not everyone will undertake the construction of such a complex structure, as a machine tool. Particularly labor-intensive to make is the assembly of the drill stand.
Source materials and tools that are needed to make a stand.
You will need for the work all that is present in every garage or handyman’s workshop:
- file ,
- various screwdrivers,
- metal corners,
- Wood chipboard,
of this manual:
Advantages and disadvantages to consider when making a stand
Of the disadvantages, it is worth noting that in your work you will necessarily use some parts from obsolete mechanisms, which can increase the price of your machine.
Also, the mounting and fitting in your product may not be done tightly, which will lead to backlash of parts.
Finally, the made drill stand can only be used for certain jobs, but, for example, you cannot use it to drill at an angle.
The drill stand for the drill
If the rack is supposed to be used for drilling only, all parts must be made of wood. If, on the other hand, the stand is to be universal, it is made of iron.
The design of the stand is quite complex and consists of the following main assemblies:
- The main support element of the rack is the bed;
- with the help of the stand goes the attachment of the drill and the carriage;
- The carriage moves along the longitudinal axis of the stand, it needs a handle, it makes the output of the rotating tool to the workpiece;
- extra parts increase the ability of the rack to work.
Many craftsmen think highly of this machine for its reliability, versatility, ease of installation and simple setup.
How the bed itself is made
Plate made of metal (10 mm) or wood (20 mm) is necessary for work. If the drill is powerful, the base must be massive enough.
Faceplate dimensions for vertical works. 500×500 mm, for other works. 1000×500 mm. Depending on your work, you can adjust these dimensions.
2-way Drill Press Machine | Handmade Drill stand
The bed for repetition is made of steel (10-20 mm), and if made of wood (20-40 mm). Support from sections of the same dimensions and the main stand, which is mounted vertically, is secured to the bed.
These two parts must be screwed through the bed itself, screwed together with screws.
As a practical tip, you can consider that the rack and the support are better connected by metal corners, so it will be much more reliable.
Drill Stand for Drill Stand
Made from a plate of steel (10-20 mm) and a wooden board (20-40 mm). Depending on the power of the drill, the length can be 50-75 cm., and the width is 20 cm. The drill travels on an axis with a device for securing the drill on the stand.
Стойка для дрели
The length of the carriage can be 50-100 cm and directly depends on the type of the drill. The carriage is made from a steel plate or a wooden bar, the same width as the stand.
The carriage can be made in two variants:
The clamps secure the drill. Holes are made in the board, into which the clamps are inserted and tightened with a screwdriver.
The drill is mounted on a special block. The plate, which is attached to the axis of the carriage at right angles using metal angles. this is the block. A hole 0,5 mm in diameter is made in it, and a slot is made to securely fasten the drill.
The hole is made with a round nozzle, according to the following algorithm: a circle is drawn, based on a given diameter, holes are drilled inside, and then the partitions are cut, at the end, the circle is given the required size with the help of a file.
The movement mechanism can have two ways of operation:
Two metal plates, with the axle for the handle inserted between them, are attached to the main post. Also, two plates with a spring are attached to the other edge of the rack.
To prevent the spring from slipping, it must be restrained by pins that are attached to the handle, which is located between the plates. In order for the mechanism to function properly, there must be a slot in the handle in the longitudinal direction.
The carriage must move vertically and pins are mounted on it.
Side plates and handle are used here, but the springs will be in grooves that need to be refined. To do this, metal corners need to be screwed into the grooves.
The mechanism is operated by pushing the carriage handle downward to start the drilling process. Energy is stored in the carriage, the spring is compressed.
If you release the lever, the springs give energy back and the carriage begins to lift vertically.
If the goal is to make holes at an angle and simple milling and turning work, the stand model needs to be modified by adding an uncomplicated node.
For some works it is required to move the workpiece horizontally. This requires a second stand, it is mounted on the bed in a horizontal position. But it is not a drill that is mounted on it, but a vise.
Dimensions and design features of the fixtures
Today in stores it is possible to find designs from foreign manufacturers, be it from Bulgaria, Germany or China, and domestic, for example, marks Enkor, Kalibr, Kraton, etc.п. Let’s look at some of them.
In the case of the Wolfcraft steel stand model 5027000 from Germany, the distinguishing features will be:
- Clamping legs on the solid cast iron plate for clamping the existing workpiece.
- Mechanical drilling depth limiter. The unit is equipped with a special millimeter scale.
- Spring. Ensures a smooth return of the drill to the original position, which is convenient if the same operation is repeated many times.
- Mechanism responsible for automatic tool switch-off when drilling several holes of equal depth.
- Main support column. fixed with a steel rail connected to the wheel of the support unit. This guarantees the most precise positioning of the workpieces during machining. Automatic locking mechanism that prevents the core drill from turning while working.
Some Wolfcraft models are equipped with a two-stage design with an additional handle to hold and prevent the drill from falling.
Many people know about the long service life and good reliability of the German tool. Along with this, the basic set does not provide for mounting vice, and landing diameter remains the same, without the possibility of setting. The weight of the stand is 8.5 kg, which is enough to work with drills no heavier than 1.7 kg. This rule comes from the ratio of the weight of the supporting and vibrating tool, which should not be less than 5.22. In the case of impact loads this value increases to 10.
In addition to drills, Bulgarian manufacturer Sparky also makes stands for them, which greatly simplifies the tooling. German tool is known for its high quality, and therefore the buyer, in addition to the electric drill from Sparky, can safely take the complete set and stand, especially if you consider its democratic price
The design features of Sparky stands include:
- The main mounting frame is made of aluminum, offering limited rigidity.
- The electric drill is equipped with a clamping clip without a knot of fixing, because of what it is necessary to tighten it periodically at continuous operation of the tool.
- Total unification with models of this manufacturer.
- Presence of return spring.
- No mechanism to limit hammering of the drill bit.
- Only the clamping jaw positions on the base plate force the use of an additional clamping vise.
It is important to note that Sparky stands are not recommended for use with drills greater than 1000 watts! Since the weight of the stand is only 6 kilograms, it is worth picking up a drill weighing 1.5-1.6 kg, although the manufacturer guarantees a good stability of the device and a pair of 3-kilogram models.
Domestic manufacturer manufactures its own line of stands for a variety of power tools, drills, including. Of the wide range of models, the most popular is the Kalibr 96202, which offers:
- special sockets for fastening the stand directly to the workbench, thus reducing the weight limits of the electric drill used. On this basis, the weight of the stand is only 2 kg.
- Diagonal placement of the T-slots for mounting the clamping legs.
- Graduated scale on top of the sliding carriage, greatly speeding up the pre-setting of the drill before starting work.
- The clamping method for securing the tool ensures a secure hold on the drill, even if vibrations are moderate.
, The main advantage of this brand is.
How to make a drilling machine
The drill stand for vertical drilling is not difficult to make. effort is needed for the construction of the drill stand. This fixture has large dimensions. But it is possible to make an improved compact device, if you follow the recommendations.
To make your own drilling machine, you need to use the stand, the creation of which was described in the previous point. Next, you need to perform the following steps:
- Disassemble the drilling tool and take out the motor and starter unit.
- Secure the motor on the stand with clamps.
- Prepare a separate box in which to install the starter.
- Increase the length of the wires from the starter and install the box on the base of the stand.
- Insert the chuck firmly into the chuck by first fixing it to the shaft.
The small drilling machine is ready. You can not disassemble the tool, but then the machine will be bulky. Or it is possible to use motors from any household appliance. In this case, you need to buy an additional chuck.
Making the control mechanism
The basic work unit of wooden and metal lathes is the sliding mechanism of the carriage. It consists of a control handle and a spring. The last element is necessary to return the carriage to its original position.
Depending on where the spring is installed, two versions of the return mechanism can be made:
- The first variant of the mechanism involves installing a spring near the control handle. Two metal plates are welded from the top to the end of the rack on one and the other side. A hole is drilled in the first two plates. Make a bolt with 10 mm diameter from a bolt and fix it to the end of the handle. A spring is placed between the other two plates. To prevent it from slipping off, pins are welded on the rack and the handle. On the side of the handle, at the attachment point to the carriage pin, a longitudinal slot is cut through, necessary for correct operation of the mechanism.
- The second variant of the mechanism foresees installation of two springs from below the carriage. They are placed in the guide grooves, fixed on the ends of the furniture telescopic elements. The control stick is fixed to the end of the rack in a similar way, only no spring is mounted under it.
The principle of any mechanism is simple. During drilling, the crank is pressed downward while the springs are compressed. The drill carriage is guided downward. When drilling is complete, release the crank. Unwinding springs return the carriage upward to its original position.
Drill Stand: Buy or Make It Yourself?
Drilling with drill presses has made woodworking convenient and easy. Drills go through a mechanism that uses a rotating spindle attached to a vise that rests on the work table. The drill press is often clamped into a chuck and three tapered jaws that fit easily into a narrow hole.
There are many drill presses on the market, and if you already have one, you may have felt the need for a good quality drill press stand. A drill press stand is important for securing the position of the drill press. This will allow you to work with added safety.
If you want to build a drill stand, check out the following manufacturing process.
The stand allows you to easily perform a variety of tasks, such as angled or perpendicular drilling with a handheld drill. They also have adjustability so you can drill holes at precise points in gradual increments.
They can hold tools horizontally so you can grind workpieces of different shapes, grind metal pieces of different sizes, or polish metal objects with different shapes and aspects.
They offer telescopic adjustment to provide different drilling heights and allow you to work with a variety of power tools. You can change the clamping angle for the tool holder by easily rotating it, while locking it rigidly when needed for accuracy.
You must have it if you want your work station to have a good maximum height to accommodate a variety of tools.
Pros and cons of procured props
The main purpose of all stands is to simplify drilling work, so their main advantages are specific parameters:
- increasing the capabilities of the working tool;
- increased accuracy of work by setting the drill bit and cutter perpendicularly or at a certain angle to the material to be machined.
- no sliding of drill bit on hard surface at the beginning of work;
- The ability to work both perpendicularly and at different angles.
But it often happens that even the most expensive props do not meet all necessary parameters. For example, it is not uncommon to find a lack of universal fixtures for fixing.
In fact, it is not very difficult to make a drill stand yourself. Here is a guide to the general scheme of how to make a prop.
On the bed to fix the prop. On the base, mount the machine stand with screws, which will later become connected to the support. Fix the guides and on their movable part fix the carriage, where the tool mount is installed.
To fix the drill, a pad is used, which looks like a bracket on which the drill is fixed.
This is a slab of wood, connected to the carriage at an angle of 90 degrees using metal corners.
To fix the drill in the block, you need to drill a socket with a diameter of 0.5 mm less than the diameter of the tool, and make a slot that allows you to put the drill in the planting hole.
The hole in the block can be made as follows:
- draw a circle with a diameter equal to that of the drill to be set up;
- along the line, on the inside, drill small holes;
- make the dividers between the holes, using a hacksaw;
- sharpen the edges with a file.
Next, you need to make a mechanism that moves the drill vertically. You can make it by connecting a spring to the handle of the machine:
- Screw two metal plates to the stand so that you can put the machine’s handle between them;
- On the opposite side of the rack reattach the plates and axle on which to place 1 part of the spring and connect the second part to the crank;
- Insert the pin, which connects the handle with the carriage of the rig, in a longitudinal groove, made in the carriage.
The necessary materials and only a few hours of work are all that is needed to make a good drilling device. A drill stand made by hand can make the tool more functional and useful.