How To Make An Angle Grinder From A Drill
A very useful drill or screwdriver attachment made from a used disc angle grinder. With the help of such a device, it is possible to cut metal or process its surface. This cutting tool can be very useful for those who do not have an angle grinder (angle grinder) or are not able to use it in hard-to-reach places.
What do you need?
- The remainder of the disc is an angle grinder.
- One washer the size of the inner diameter of the hole of the disk is an angle grinder.
- Two washers with a diameter exceeding the inner diameter of the hole of the disk are an angle grinder.
Cutting nozzle manufacturing
Unscrew the disk. As you can see, it should not be completely finished. If you don’t have an angle grinder, ask your neighbor or the nearest workshop, they will throw out such discs anyway.
We put a large washer on the bolt. It does not have to be rectangular. Since finding large diameter washers is problematic, I made from what was at hand. The outer diameter of the washer should be larger than the hole for mounting the disk.
Then we put a disk on a bolt. To make it stand strictly in the center, install a washer with a diameter approximately equal to the diameter of the mounting hole of the disk.
We put on all this a big washer, the same as in the beginning.
We tighten everything well with a nut.
In the end, we got such a very useful nozzle for a drill or screwdriver.
Clamp the bolt in the chamber of the drill.
And sawing metal. For example, a steel pipe.
It cuts perfectly. There are absolutely no sparks, as when working with angle grinders, since the speed of the drill is very low compared to the angle grinder.
Of course, in no case should you neglect the safety precautions when working. At least safety glasses must be on you. Due to the low speed, the cutting tool has not become less dangerous, and all protection requirements must be followed.
Using this nozzle, you can clean the surface of the metal from paint or rust, cut the pipe in a hard to reach place, and much more. Useful thing, do it yourself. You will not regret it.
Angle grinder from a drill
For such a conversion, you will need the following tools at hand:
Before starting the conversion, you need to make sure that the drill itself will not be needed in the near future. And then just follow the step by step instructions:
- Choose a nozzle for a future angle grinder.
- Take a bar of steel of small diameter and grind one of its edges. This action is necessary for better entry directly into the nozzle. Also, for a better hitch, slightly sharpen the places that will be in contact with the petals of the cartridge and the bar itself.
- Fix all the elements.
There is a second, more complex way to achieve the desired result.
- The cartridge is removed from the drill. For an angle grinder, it is not required, so it can be cleaned, lubricated and stored.
- Choose a nozzle for the future tool. It would be better if it was a part made of durable steel, a lightweight version would not be appropriate here.
- Bar selection. It is necessary so long that 1.8-1.9 cm of its part protrudes beyond the drill. Next, one of its ends should be ground with a rasp, so that the result is a rod that perfectly matches the nest in the nozzle itself. Before the joint, it is worth smearing its ends with machine oil for better passage.
- The ball bearing is mounted in place for output. A rod will be threaded through it with further fixation at the base. If this step is not required, the rod is fixed in its place.
You can make an angle grinder this way in a few hours and at the same time get the necessary tool.
Angle grinder from a chainsaw and electric saw
The easiest way to make a do-it-yourself angle grinder is to convert it from a gas or electric saw. As a result, the finished device
Will have several advantages:
- The possibility of battery life.
- High power.
- The cost of operation.
When creating an angle grinder, you must reduce the risk of disk breakage. For these purposes, the saw is equipped with a special protective cover. It is also worth reducing the number of revolutions with a speed reducer.
12 volt angle grinder
In order to use an electric tool on the road, it is necessary to convert its power of 12 Volts to 220. Thus, you can power it from a car in which a direct current with a voltage of 12 Volts flows, by installing a special injector.
Low-power injectors should be connected to the cigarette lighter, there are no special requirements. The only nuances are:
- Use under temperature conditions from 15 to 50 0 C and medium humidity.
- Do not allow devices to work in direct sunlight.
- Do not use for storage under the seats, as the injector will heat up during operation. For its cooling, unhindered passage of air is necessary.
A more powerful injector is recommended to be connected to the battery terminals. In this case, it is forbidden to turn on the ignition or motor if the injector is mounted on a non-removable battery.
You can make an angle grinder from a wide variety of tools that everyone has at hand. Thanks to the briefing, the work is done with your own hands in just a couple of hours.
How to make an angle grinder from a drill: the process of reprofiling
Tools and materials:
Before making an angle grinder from a drill, you need to make sure that this tool is not needed at this time for other work. After all, assembly and disassembly take some time. An angle grinder from a drill will not be as easy to operate.
You can make a do-it-yourself angle grinder from a drill in a simple way:
- The nozzle for the angle grinder with which the work will be performed is selected. Any option is suitable, as manufacturing for one-time work.
- A small diameter steel bar is selected, from which it is necessary to grind off the edge so that it enters the nozzle. The places of contact between the petals of the cartridge and the rod are slightly ground for better coupling.
Everything is done here in a matter of minutes, but immediately after dismantling, the structure will become inoperative, or even completely fall apart. A similar refinement is done in cases where you need to urgently make an angle grinder from a drill, because the main one has failed.
A more complex version is not very different, but still have to work a lot more:
- To start, a cartridge is removed. It will now be needed only for reverse recovery, but for now it is advisable to simply clean and lubricate all of its insides. Store only in a dark, dusty place.
- A nozzle is selected for an angle grinder made of durable steel (often there are lightweight options that can never be installed here).
- At this stage, a rod of such a length is required that it extends 1.7-1.9 cm beyond the drill. Its end is ground with a rasp so that it ultimately fits perfectly with the socket in the nozzle. Before joining, use engine oil or any other lubricant.
- The ball bearing is installed in place of the output, and a rod is threaded through it and fixed in the base. Sometimes this step is not required, so the bar can simply be locked in place.
This method is implemented in a matter of hours, and the dismantling and installation of the cartridge at all in minutes. After the design has been assembled 1 time, it will no longer need to be changed or supplemented in the future. It is worth remembering that in this case protection is not installed, therefore, when working around, there should not be people. It’s impossible to inflict injury on oneself because the disc rotates parallel to the master.
Support structure and minor modifications
Tools and materials:
- Steel strip or bar;
- Welding machine;
Almost always, such an angle grinder is made as a stationary tool, so a work surface is necessarily prepared. Any wooden or metal countertop is suitable for it, and metal has an undeniable advantage.
The working platform bends from a reinforcing ribless rod of 12 mm or a steel strip (2-3 mm). Outwardly, it should completely repeat the contours of the model used, because when diving, maximum fixation must be ensured. Usually 4 transverse stripes are used to form the contour and 3 perpendicular to them for rigidity. The joint is made using electric arc welding.
After such a bowl is installed on the table, it must be tightly screwed to the surface using bolts with nuts (bolts exclusively with flat caps). Fixation must be sufficiently rigid, therefore at least 4 mounting points.
At the very end, the tool turns over and lowers into place (handle up). The final fixation is carried out at the expense of clamps, with which everything is pulled together from 2 sides.
If you have to work with the tool for a long time, then make a protective cover. To do this, just make a cut of sheet steel and bend its edges so that it occupies all the space above the working area. To fix to the tool, you need to make a clamp from a steel strip (exactly the size of the drill) and fix it with your own hands.
There are several options for making an angle grinder from a drill, and all of them are quite effective depending on the tasks. For the resulting tool, it is better not to try to set serious tasks, but it will cope with elementary tasks perfectly.
It is better to work on a hard surface, as this will significantly increase the safety of operations.
And the most important thing is safety during the reprofiling, you can allow minor flaws, which then will affect in a very serious way.