How to Mow Grass Properly with a Trimmer
With the onset of spring in the suburban areas and adjoining areas of private homes vegetation appears to be eradicated. If this is ornamental vegetation, then it needs to be mowed with a lawn mower, and for mowing weeds and large thickets, grass mowers and trimmers are used. These are prototypes of hand braids, the use of which requires some skills. How to mow the brushcutter correctly according to the instructions, not many experts know. If you ask yourself this question, then it’s time to understand the rules of mowing.
Getting to know the tool
The question of how to mow with a brushcutter and a trimmer is mainly asked by beginners who have recently acquired these tools. Before proceeding with the work, it is recommended to know the design and structure of the brushcutter. The main structural elements of the considered tools include:
- 2-stroke gasoline engine. There are tools with 4-stroke engines, the disadvantage of which is their heavy weight
- Fuel tank. Storage tank for diluted gasoline with oil
- Gearbox. A transmission mechanism through which the transmission of torque from the motor shaft to the actuator
- Starter. A device for starting a gasoline engine
- Rod. A rigid base connecting the engine to the working body
In addition to gas trimmers, manufacturers also produce electric and battery analogues. The main disadvantage of gasoline units compared to electric and battery packs in their large mass. The weight of gasoline-type trimmers reaches 8-10 kg (4-stroke), which depends primarily on power. To simplify the operation of the tool, manufacturers supplement their units with special belts, which are also called unloading belts.
You need to know the design of the tool in order to learn how to work properly. Unlike electric and battery-powered counterparts, gas trimmers need not only to be able to mow grass, but also to start the engine.
What nozzle to use for mowing grass with a brushcutter
The design of the brushcutter uses two types of cutting nozzles or mills. These are reels with fishing line, as well as steel or plastic disks. What is better to choose for work with a gasoline tool. The site provides information on how to choose discs and fishing line for trimmers, as well as their types and design features. We will briefly consider what types of cutting mills should be used on trimmers and benders.
- To mow soft grass, a fishing line is used, which is wound on a drum or reel. Fishing line, unlike metal discs, is used where grass grows next to trees, houses, fences and other obstacles. Fishing line allows you to make a quality mowing of grass near obstacles, while not violating the design of the tool
- Metal knives. Have 2, 3, 4 or more cutting parts, through which the cutting of rough grass and thickets is carried out. Practice shows that the thicker the mowing thickets, the more blades the cutter should have
- Metal discs with small teeth in the amount of 40-80 pieces. Designed for mowing different vegetation. It can be rough grass, weeds, dense thickets and even small trees. The greater the number of teeth on the cutting nozzle, the higher the efficiency of the tool in question
- Plastic discs. Used primarily on trimmers or cordless lawn mowers
The choice of cutting mill depends on the place of use of the tool. If you plan to work on a personal territory, then a fishing line is selected, and for cutting grass in a field or steppe, discs with 3-4 blades or more, as well as discs with small teeth, are used.
How to attach a disc or fishing line to a trimmer
The cutting mill is attached to the actuator. The mounting location is called the gearbox. The task of installing a disk or coil is not difficult to cope with. The principle of fixing the cutting discs to the trimmer is as follows:
- The curly washer is initially secured by using an Allen key.
- Install a disk on the shaft
- Then install the upper washer, then tighten it with the fastening nut
- It is necessary to rotate the nut using a special socket wrench, which is usually equipped with each tool
- The nut rotates counterclockwise
- When rotating, it is necessary to jam the shaft with an Allen key
In the opposite sequence, the disc is removed and replaced on the trimmer. In more detail about how to install a reel with a fishing line on a brushcutter, see this material.
Refueling gas mowers with gasoline and oil
Before mowing grass with a brushcutter, it is necessary to refuel the tool. Gasoline and oil are used as fuel. However, keep in mind that mixing gasoline with oil is only necessary for two-stroke engines. Four-stroke engines run on clean gasoline, as their design has a separate tank. An oil sump. There are no oil sumps in the design of 2-stroke gas trimmers; therefore, only gasoline and oil should be poured into the tank.
It is recommended to use AI-92 fuel as gasoline. In order not to make a mistake in the choice, you need to read the instructions offered by the manufacturer. Often, most manufacturers recommend using AI-92 fuel, and only a few recommend filling AI-95.
Gasoline must be diluted with a small proportion of 1 to 25. This means that for 1 liter of gasoline you need to add 40 ml of push-pull oil. However, here, too, is not so simple. The proportion of 1 to 25 is universal, but for each model of the tool has its own values. These values are also indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions. Details on how to properly dilute gasoline and oil in a brushcutter are described here. After diluting gasoline with oil, you should fill a full tank, and proceed to work.
Instructions on how to use a gas trimmer learn to start a tool
Before you work with the tool, you must first get it. How to get a brushcutter, consider in detail. To begin with, the tool should be placed on a flat surface so that the disk mounted on the shaft does not cling to anything. After that, we start starting the engine of the brushcutter:
- Initially, fuel should be pumped into the launch system. To do this, press the primer 4-5 times (soft hemisphere on the carburetor)
- Next, set the carburetor switch to “OFF” mode. This switch is responsible for opening and closing the air damper. Putting the switch in the “OFF” mode allows the fuel mixture to be enriched during start-up
- On the handle near the accelerator is a switch. He is responsible for turning the ignition on and off. Before starting, you must put the ignition switch in mode “1”
- Now you can start. To do this, hold the tool with one hand and pull the starter handle sharply with the other. If the braid engine did not start the first time, then do not despair. Start attempts must be made until the engine starts. Usually, 2-3 repetitions should be performed for this.
- If after 5 repetitions the engine does not start, then it is necessary to repeat the fuel suction with the primer, and start starting again
- As soon as the engine starts, the choke switch must be set to “ON”. This means that a mixture of fuel and air enters the cylinder.
- Let the tool run for 15-30 seconds at idle until the engine warms up, after which you can proceed to mow the grass
The above instructions for starting the engine and trimmers are appropriate for a cold start. If a pause was made during the operation of the tool, then when restarting a cold engine, it is not necessary to close the throttle. You just need to turn on the ignition, and pull the starter handle.
Step-by-step instructions on how to mow grass with a brushcutter with a disc and save fuel
Launching petrol-cutters is required mainly on the ground. Some craftsmen are able to start the instrument, holding it in their hands, however it is quite difficult and dangerous. After starting the tool, you can start using it. To begin with, you should wear protective clothing and an unloading belt. Depending on the model of the tool, the unloading belts may be on carabiners or couplers. If a carabiner or latch is used, then after starting the engine, the tool should be fixed and set to work. If screeds are used, then you need to put on the belt with a working tool.
The belt must first be balanced. This means that, despite the total weight of the tool, the mowing hands should have a minimum load. With his hands, the mower only carries out the movement of the tool, and if balancing is not done, then quick fatigue will be observed during operation. All weight should fall on the shoulders of the employee.
When the tool is ready for use, the instructions for cutting grass with a brushcutter is as follows:
- You need to make movements to the right and left slowly, while holding the trimmer at the same distance from the ground
- The mowing movements should be unhurried (half a step). Experts call the mowing movement duck steps
- The biggest challenge that newcomers face is maintaining a stable speed. Turns during mowing should be changed, which depends on the density of vegetation. If the grass is young, then its mowing does not require working at full capacity
- The mower must feel the instrument working. If the scythe does not cope with the grass, you need to increase the speed. At the same time, it is not recommended to work with the tool constantly at full speed.
- Experts have developed such an optimal regime for mowing grass with gas trimmers. One way, it is necessary to increase the speed above average (almost by full gas), and when the mower is moved back, the gas is discharged, taking a step forward. This method is relevant for cases when you need to carefully lay the grass in the rolls.
Often among the mowers with scythes, there are disputes about how to correctly mow with a trimmer, whether it is necessary to discharge gas or is it better to work in constant mode. We will deal with these issues in detail.
- There is an opinion that it is better to mow the scythe in one speed mode. This opinion is not correct. Working with the same power not only affects the increase in fuel consumption, but also on the wear of parts. Gas discharge during the reverse movement of the tool is useful, since during this period the engine cools and the CPG is lubricated. Gas discharge leads to the throttle shutoff, as a result of which the fuel passes through the channel XX, and thereby lubricates the parts
- The discharge of gas allows not only to mow the grass, but also to neatly stack it in the rolls. Moving the tool in one direction allows mowing, and a reverse roll creates
- The disk moves in only one direction, so it is simply pointless to keep the tool at constant speed when moving it in the opposite direction
- The discharge of gas leads to the fact that the cutting disc starts to rotate the crankshaft by inertia, and coasting is always useful
If you mow the braid in the same speed mode (as beginners usually do), this will affect the increase in fuel consumption and engine overheating. For comparison, you can imagine the work of a chainsaw. The saw cutter gives maximum speed only if necessary, but when the sawing of the tree is completed, the chainsaw runs on the twentieth, thereby cooling it.
How to mow with a scythe with fishing line
Is there a difference between grass mowing with a disc and fishing line trimmer? In addition to security, there is a difference in the principle of operation. You can work with a scythe with the fishing line fixed in the structure on the reel in constant speed mode. This is due to several reasons:
- A fishing line with a reel is 3-4 times less in weight than steel disks, so the shaft is practically unloaded
- Grass that is mowed with fishing line is usually not tall and mostly sparse, which also eliminates the possibility of a large load on the engine
- The reel with fishing line has no inertia due to the minimum weight, so when the gas is dropped, their rotation stops almost instantly
It follows that it is possible to mow with a scythe with fishing line at constant speeds, but it is important to consider that the speed should not be higher than average. If the fishing line does not cope with the grass, then you should increase the speed, but at the same time you need to mow in the gas discharge mode.
Now consider the main factors that are important to consider when working with a tool:
- Hold the spinning coil with the cord 10 cm from the ground
- If the line does not cope with tall grass, you can mow its top first, and then the lower part
- Make a mow in the direction the fishing line or disc rotates. This is especially important for steel discs.
- Take breaks, because not only the mowing machine, but also the tool itself gets tired when working with the brushcutter
Now that you know how to properly mow with a brushcutter or trimmer (by the way, these tools differ only in name), you can proceed to ennoble the homestead territory or summer cottage. When the tool is not used for a long time, all fuel should be drained from the tank. Indeed, with prolonged storage, it is common for oil to precipitate, which will lead to negative consequences. A similar situation with the storage of finished gasoline diluted with oil. Keeping it diluted for longer than 2 weeks is not recommended.
Summing up, it is worth noting that working with a gas trimmer is not at all difficult, and even a woman can handle this, which proves the clip presented below. However, the operation of the tool should not be treated negligently, as if safety precautions are not followed, serious injuries may result.