How To Pick A Chain And A Tire To A Chainsaw
One of the essential elements of a chainsaw is a tire. It is also called a guide chain, and over time, wear of this part is observed. In the event of a malfunction, it is not recommended to operate the tool, as this may result in personal injury. The tire for the chainsaw cannot be repaired, so after failure, it must be replaced. What types of guides for chainsaws are, how they differ, and how to choose them correctly, is analyzed in detail in the material.
Design features of the tire
A chainsaw includes a tire, which is a stainless steel part that has an elongated oval shape. One end of the rail has a corresponding cutout for threaded fastening. The second end or end part has a built-in sprocket called a follower. An appropriate guide design ensures smooth running of the chain, thereby reducing the load on the tool motor.
Around the circumference of the tire there is a groove or groove in which the shanks of the chain are moved. When moving the chain, friction occurs, as a result of which the tire surface heats up. To reduce the effect of friction and reduce the heating temperature, a metered amount of special oil is fed into the working area. If the oil pump breaks down or the oil in the tank runs out, the temperature of the guide rail increases, thereby increasing the wear rate of these parts.
About the width of the groove on the tires for the chainsaw
Before you know the sizes of tires for a chainsaw, you need to remember that the tools are classified into three types. Domestic or amateur, semi-professional and professional. Depending on the type of accessory of the tool, guides with appropriate groove widths are used on chainsaws.
- The width of the groove in the guide of the household chainsaw is 1.1-1.3 mm
- Semi-professional tools are equipped with devices whose groove width is 1.3-1.5 mm
- Professional units work with tires having a groove width of 1.5-1.6 mm
The reason for the headset overheating can be a mismatch in the size of the chain shank with the width of the grooves of the tire. If the chain overheats, this entails its extension, and as a result, it may burst during operation of the tool.
The normal functioning of the tool also depends on the condition of the drive sprocket. This asterisk is not lubricated during operation of the tool, which entails accelerated wear. Compensates for the rapid failure of the driven star using a high-quality bearing. To extend the life of this important part of the chainsaw guide, it is recommended that lubricants be added every 8-10 hours of operation.
Types of chainsaws
Studying the features and design of chainsaws, it should be noted that they are divided into types. The following types of chainsaws are distinguished:
- Narrow flat. Used mainly on household tools, and only with low-profile types of chains. They are a narrowed nose or end part of the guide. The main advantage of the narrow-flat tires under consideration is that they minimize the danger level from a back strike. This is especially true for beginner sawmills.
- Lightweight type. Consists of two steel plates that are interconnected by a polyamide layer. This design affects the weight of the tool itself, so the work performed by the sawmill is quick and easy.
- With the possibility of replacing the head. It is used only on high-power semi-professional and professional tools. They are designed to perform a large scale of work, and are characterized by increased resistance to high temperatures. The nose part changes with an asterisk
If a tire is selected for a chainsaw, then it is necessary to take into account the type of guide in the first place. When choosing, you need to build on what type of chainsaw the part is purchased for.
Chainsaw tire length. What they are and what affects
One of the most important tire parameters for chainsaws is their size. The greater the length of the guide, the larger the diameter you can cut the logs with a tool. However, this does not mean at all that you can install a long guide on a low-powered chainsaw, and cut thick logs. The length of the tire must be correlated with power.
If you cannot find the technical data sheet of the tool, then you can find out the recommended length for a specific model of the tool in a simple way. Measure the old guide. How to measure the length of the chainsaw chains, far from many experts know. To find out the length of the guide on the chainsaw, you need to use a tape measure, and measure the distance from the end (bow) to the start of the cut. The diagram below shows how the tire length is measured correctly.
You can also find out the length from the description, which is usually shown on the side of the headset. However, over time, the tool overwrites the labels, so this method is appropriate for cases where information can be read on the bus. By measuring the length, you can purchase the appropriate size saw headset on the tool. Why can not I use a long tire and chain on a low-power saw? There are enough reasons for this, and they can be described as a list:
- Lack of engine power, which will affect the cutting speed
- Increased fuel consumption due to increased load
- Fast engine and consumable wear
- Incorrect cycle of oil supply for chain lubrication, which will lead to overheating of the headset, and quick failure
If you do not want the tool to quickly fail, you must use a suitably sized saw headset. To ensure maximum efficiency and productivity of the tool, you must correctly select the tire and chain, depending on the power of the tool. A unit of measure such as an inch is used to indicate length. Below are the sizes of guides for chainsaws in inches with their translation into a metric measurement system:
- 10 inches. 25 cm
- 12 inches. 30 cm
- 14 inches. 35 cm
- 16 inches. 40 cm
- 18 inches. 45 cm
Only after the length of the chainsaw tire has been specified, is it possible to start choosing a new part. There are also devices with a length of 38, 33 cm and others. A part length of 45 cm is still far from the largest option. Professional high-power units are equipped with devices up to 75 cm long.
Wide and narrow guide groove and how it affects tool performance
In addition to length, one must also take into account such criteria as the width of the grooves. How does it affect tool performance?
- The wide groove on the rails is able to withstand heavy chain loads. Tires with a wide groove width are used on professional and semi-professional tools
- Narrow grooves are used on household and semi-professional low power units, which are designed for small loads
For the appropriate groove width, it is important to choose the right chain option.
What is the danger of buying cheap Chinese tires
- The first step is not original products wear out very quickly, which leads to the need for frequent replacement
- The chain wears out along with the guide, which must also be replaced.
- During operation of the fake guide, a phenomenon such as wear on one side is often observed, which ultimately leads to the inability to make a straight or straight cut
- Violation of the integrity of the part is the most difficult and dangerous case, since when a tire breaks, a chain will break, rotating at a speed of over 10,000 rpm
That is why manufacturers recommend not saving on the purchase of a saw headset for a chainsaw, and buying only branded and high-quality tires and chains from trusted sellers. Indeed, the life of a person depends on the quality of these details.
How to distinguish a tire for a household and professional chainsaw
It will not be difficult to distinguish a household chainsaw from a professional one, since in addition to dimensions and weight, these tools differ in the shape of the guide. On domestic gasoline saws, tires with a narrowed nose are installed. This design is designed specifically for beginners, since such a tool minimizes such a negative effect as a back strike.
On professional and semi-professional type chainsaws, the sock has a wide part. If at high speeds you touch the wood with the toe of the guide, then a back strike will occur. This phenomenon is very dangerous, since a saw cutter can drop the tool from his hands, resulting in serious injuries. Such tools can be used by professionals and filers with extensive experience.
How to extend tool life
On average, the service life of a quality chainsaw tire is at least 3 chains replaced. The leading star needs to be changed depending on its condition. The service life of the guide is quickly reduced if the oil pump is malfunctioning, the teeth of the chain do not sharpen for a long time, and also if the tool is operated with an unregulated chain tension. The main reasons for the accelerated wear of the device are also:
- Quick wear of the groove and tail of the chain
- Weak or excessive chain tension
- Lead star pitch mismatch
- When using a tool for sawing frozen or hard wood
- When using a low-quality chain lubricant
If soil or sand gets into the groove of the guide, this leads to accelerated wear of the headset, therefore it is recommended to start the tool so that the chain does not come into contact with the ground.
How to choose a tire for a chainsaw. Tips and tricks
When buying a new tire for your chainsaw, it is important to initially pay attention to the material from which the part is made, as well as the quality of the product and the presence of markings. The absence of marking indicates that the headset was manufactured in an underground manner, and it is not recommended to buy such a part. When buying a guide for a chainsaw, you must also pay attention to three main parameters:
- The tail part. For different models of chainsaws this part of the part may have differences, so make sure in advance that the part is suitable for your tool. The shank of the guide should match the shape of the seat of the chainsaw. If you install a guide that does not match the shape of the seat, then no oil will be supplied to the chain, which will lead to accelerated wear on the headset
- Groove width. Depends on the type of accessory of the chainsaw and its power
- Driven sprocket. It is better to buy guides that are equipped with all-metal options for stars, especially if you plan to saw hardwood
- The guide and chain pitch should be the same with the drive sprocket. If the step is different, then this will entail unstable engine operation, and quick wear of the headset. If the sprocket pitch is 0.325, then the chain with the guide should have the same value
When buying, also consider the recommendations that are presented in the material, that is, the type of tire, length, groove size.
How to install a tire and chain on a chainsaw and adjust the tension
To remove and replace the tire on a chainsaw is not difficult even for a novice sawyer. The replacement instruction is as follows:
- Using the special key that comes with the tool, unscrew the two fastening nuts
- After that, the protective cover, which is also a hand brake, is dismantled.
- Dismantle the chain from the tool
- Part retrieved
A new tire is installed in place of the removed guide, after which the assembly is performed in the reverse order of removal. At the final stage, it is imperative to adjust the chain tension. To check the degree of tension, pull the chain in the middle of the guide. Correct adjustment is when the output of the shank does not exceed 2/3 of its height. You can make sure that the chain is not overtightened by moving it along the bus, applying a small force.
At the end of the work done, it remains to start the tool engine, and check it in action. The chain should not make a loud sound, which indicates its proper functioning.
If you saw saw crookedly. Reasons and what to do
Often sawers are faced with the fact that at one point the saw begins to cut crookedly. This causes not only inconvenience, but also complicates the sawing procedure. Sawmill has to make efforts not only to hold the tool, but also to align it. Few people know that it is forbidden to operate the tool with such a deformation. We will find out what is the cause of the uneven sawing with a chainsaw, and how dangerous it is for the sawmill.
If the saw begins to cut crookedly, then this indicates the presence of subtle deformation of the tire. Deformation is associated with the bead of the tire, which has uneven wear. As a result, the chain is not located exactly, but with a slight bias. The amount of skew may not be visible to the eye.
The problem of uneven tire wear can be fixed by replacing it. It is almost impossible to evenly grind the sides of the rail, so it is recommended to replace it with the chain. The danger of operating a deformed chainsaw guide is that the chain end can jump out of the groove, which will not entail the most favorable consequences.
The chainsaw tire, like the chain, experiences heavy loads, so its wear is observed. When worn, it is important to timely replace the part without waiting for adverse effects. How to choose and what to consider when buying tires for a chainsaw is described in detail in the material.