How to properly cut a channel with an angle grinder. How to cut a metal angle with an angle grinder
Technology of cutting metal with an angle grinder
Angle grinder (angle grinder), or angle grinder, as it is commonly called, is an indispensable and versatile construction tool, designed for cutting and processing of solid materials. But it is also one of the most dangerous types of equipment, so cutting metal with an angle grinder and other types of material requires compliance with all safety rules.
For proper and accurate work, you need to buy a tool that is suitable for the power and diameter of the cutting abrasive wheel and functionality. It is necessary to determine for what kind of work you need the tool.
For home repair, craftsmen can do with low-powered angle grinder, but for the professional construction will need a serious multi-functional equipment.
Low-power units are connected to a 220 V household socket, powerful. are connected to an industrial three-phase network, with a power of 380 V. Low-power drills often have a jammed disk when cutting thick metal, it is dangerous that the device can break from the hands, hurt, or break the disc.
Advice for novice masters to buy an angle grinder under the drive 125 mm with a capacity of 0,8-1 thousand. W and spindle speed of 10 thousand. About./min. This power is quite enough to saw the iron.
Used for cutting metal, stone, glass, as well as with this machine do stripping, sanding and scraping. Fixed stationary, it is not difficult to sharpen cutters, knives drills, etc. д.
When choosing a grinder need to pay attention to what it is convenient to lay in your hand. It also depends on the quality and safety of work. If possible, you should choose a model with rubber handles.
angle grinder. How to properly cut metal with an angle grinder. Video
The first thing you need to consider is safety. angle grinder is a very dangerous tool, and if handled incorrectly, you can be severely injured. Therefore, be sure to use protective equipment, namely glasses. when cutting metal grinder often sparks fly into the eyes and dross, headphones. at work angle grinder is very noisy, as well, be sure to be on the angle grinder protective cover.
Note that when cutting sparks fly out a lot, if they fall on flammable materials, it can cause a fire. Remove all combustible materials from the work area and place sand, a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby.
The most important thing to pay attention to when cutting metal with an angle grinder is that the wheel of the angle grinder is not caught by the edges of the metal. The ideal cut should ideally be that the material to be cut is suspended in the air and hangs downwards when cutting.
If you just start using an angle grinder, try to cut only from top to bottom, evenly cutting through the edges if we are talking about an angle, channel, or pipe.
When cutting, the main part of the metal should be well secured so that it does not move. The best way to do this is to. Many experts simply press the base with their foot, but for beginners it is better not to do so.
When cutting, pay attention to the angle at which you hold the angle grinder against the metal. As right the biggest difficulty in cutting is associated with keeping the right angle. A beginner can only cut off a part crookedly, I will say more, even a professional has a hard time making a straight cut. That’s why you must make a mark before cutting, to draw a line for the trimmer, which will lead a circle. In this situation, try not to stick the circle deep into the product, keep so that the circle slightly, 2-3 mm lower than the edge of the metal.
Not unimportant is the position of the body when cutting. At first you will strain your muscles, so you will restrain your movements. this is a mistake. The body when cutting should be calm, there should not be excessive muscle tension, the hands should be relaxed and only the hands should clearly fix the angle grinder. At first it will be difficult, but you will get used to it with time.
Not in any case does not need to lead the angle grinder from itself, only on itself.
Your browser does not support the video tag.
The video shows the correct way to cut metal. The master has firmly fixed the part in the tes, the cut part is hanging in the air, when cutting the master leads the angle grinder to himself, making the cut he does not drive the circle deep into the pipe.
Another point, which should be mentioned, the direction of the flight of sparks, sparks can fly away from the master, as shown in the video, or under it. Some prefer that the sparks flew under them, but personally I think it is not right, but everyone decides for himself. In addition, if you are a left-handed person you just have to let the sparks fly under yourself, because only in this position it will be convenient to hold a left-handed angle grinder.
Tools for home and semi-professional use
For arrangement of plumbing or drainage systems, heating and ventilation circuits in the home construction or construction services, often use tools from this category.
Among the most common devices can be named:
- Cutters with secateurs design. Such a tool is used for cutting polymer pipes, the cross section of which does not exceed 75 mm. To apply the required force for the work, the device’s toothed mechanism allows. The design of such a cutter provides a special shelf, on which the pipe is placed, which ensures the evenness of the cut strictly under 90º. for such tools can be very different, depending on their quality, size, capabilities, manufacturer and other factors.
- Disc type pipe cutter. In such a device, the pipe is cut by a special disc, which is made of durable material and has sharpened edges. Cutting disc is pressed to the pipe surface with the help of lever and moves along its cross-section.
How to easily and accurately cut sheet metal with an angle grinder
Greetings. The angle grinder has become one of the most popular tools these days. Few fans of something what nagodelstva their own hands do not have at least a small angle grinder under 115 disk. Today I want to tell you about a method of cutting sheet metal with an angle grinder, which I myself have been using for a long time. This method is pretty easy and accurate cutting sheet metal.
It’s quite simple and reliable. I used to mark the line for the trimmer of the future cut with a coated cord, but no matter how carefully I tried, the cut was still not perfect. after all, we are humans, not robots. Then I realized that in order to get a good and smooth cut, you need to lead the cut along the guide. Stalked to use for this profile pipes or angle, it became easier and more convenient. But the best kind of guide (in my opinion) is the same sheet metal, namely, any flat factory side.
This is how I cut sheet metal. I mark out with a tape measure the necessary size and put the guide side of the sheet on these marks, having clamped with clamps to the bottom sheet. And it’s quite easy to cut in this way. no need for extra tension and constant control of the angle grinder‘s disc, it follows the right path by itself.
Today I had to cut quite a lot. not only crosswise but also lengthwise, using the same technique.
Then we deburr the sharp burrs with a small angle grinder with a 125 grinding disk.
It turns out quite a quality cut, which will never happen if you don’t use a guide for the angle grinder’s disc.
In the photo you can see that by connecting the cut on the sheet and profile pipe, there is no uneven jagged edge, so I recommend this method to those who have not yet known.
I almost forgot. I used a large angle grinder with a 230 disk thickness of 2 mm. Also need to put under the cut sheet of wooden bar or prof-tube for the whole length away from the cut, so that the disk is not clamped. Do not use narrow guides from sheet metal. may be crooked or a little play ( warp) from the pressure of the disk angle grinder, it is better not less than 30 cm wide.
Slot is a recess in the wall in the form of a groove, in which electrical wiring is laid in accordance with electrical safety requirements. To create a proper interior in the joints hiding wiring pipes or communication wires. The production of such grooves in the wall is called grinding. As the main working tool you will need stdroborez, which work is carried out very quickly. Two diamond discs mounted simultaneously on one axis will perform rewriting in one step.
Stitch cutter Interskol PD-230/2600E with dust extraction. Photo AllTools.Ru
With the help of angle grinder with a diamond disc this work is done in several steps. First one groove must be made in turn, and then at the right distance the second. The material between the grooves can be removed with a perorator with impact function. To create a more comfortable environment it is necessary to connect a construction vacuum cleaner. You can perform the connection of the angle grinder with a dust extraction device itself. On the internet there are many videos with information how to do it.
Reprind angle grinder, how to grind correctly
To grind with an angle grinder it is necessary to install a diamond disc that is suitable for the concrete of which the wall is made. The diameter of the wheel must fit the power tool. Walls can be reinforced with rebar, so it is better to install a universal turbo disc on the angle grinder. Normal disc for concrete in case of hitting the fixture will immediately fly apart, and given the high speed of the angle grinder, it can be very dangerous. The cut should only be straight, no curves and shaped cuts in order to maintain safety should not be.
Protective cover muff grinder SG-230-R (230 mm) STOMER for angle grinder. Photo VseInstrumenty.rou
In the production of the chinks for wiring, you should observe the following rules outlined by the state standards.
- Dowels must be vertical or horizontal only in relation to the base surface of the building.
- It is strictly forbidden to screw through bearing walls.
- The horizontal joint must be at a distance of not less than 15 cm from the floor slab.
- Vertical joints must be at a distance of at least 10 cm from doors and windows, from the location of gas pipes. at least 40 cm.
- The documents specify the thickness and width of the hole (recommended no more than 2.5 cm).
- It is not recommended to touch the armature bars during jointing. However, this requirement is difficult to achieve because the reinforcement cage is not always precisely positioned inside the concrete wall.
The above requirements prevent the threat of destroying building structures after the production of life-supporting electrical wiring.
Is it possible to cut roofing tiles and profiled sheeting?
There are two answers to this question at once. The first. you can not, as it leads to burrs and uneven edges on thin metal. In addition, the paint and zinc burns. All this leads to corrosion and other unpleasant things. So say sellers of corrugated board and metal shingles. The second answer. you can, because it is not always advisable to overlap small sections of the fence or roof with an overlapping piece. For example, when it comes to the end of work, where the size of the last sheet is between 30 and 50 cm. In this case, spend a whole sheet on 1.15 meters does not make sense.
Angle grinder ZUBR PROFESSIONAL angle grinder P230-2100 PV. Photo AllTools.Ru
If you still decided to cut the profiled sheeting angle grinder, it is worth using some tips:
- Do not cut the sheet at a great height: workbench, chair, bench. Otherwise, at the end of the cut, a hanging piece simply will bend. The metal is too thin and it will drift.
- If you intend to cut the profiled sheeting across, be careful. On the ribs the blade can hit hard. Cut through the bumps by winding the tool from above in waves, rather than dragging it parallel to the sheet.
- It is better to go over cut seams with a fine sandpaper.
And a few more tips for working with metal tiles:
- This material has even more curves, bumps, and other irregularities. Also use a thin cutting wheel. Preferably diamond. Cut the sheet from the top edge to the bottom, “going down” on the wave.
- Treat well the place of sawing with sandpaper. You can also touch up with paint to prevent the joint from rusting.
Be careful when working with thin metal. This is a very capricious material that is easy to spoil. Or take the advice of the manufacturer, refuse from the angle grinder, and wield metal scissors or circular saw.
How to choose the right angle grinder
The right choice and quality of the angle grinder itself determines the quality of work and the safety of the worker.
When choosing a machine one should be guided by its main parameters: power and diameter of the cutting wheel. Its weight is also important, as you often have to work “by weight”, and size, so you can perform the work in awkward and inaccessible places.
Most customers get a bit scared when they see a high-powered milling machine that it’s harder to pull than a low-powered one. This is a misconception. Low-power lasers have a higher tendency to get the discs jammed, i.e., they do not always cut properly.е. they are physically unable to “pull” the disk under heavy loads. The situation, how the drive and the machine itself will behave after the load is reduced, is unpredictable. Most likely, the angle grinder will be torn from the hands. The consequence of this would be a disc breakage, machine damage and injuries to the cutter. That’s why it’s better for beginners to buy an angle grinder for 125 mm disc with power of 800-1000 W and the spindle speed of 10 000 rpm./min. This power is enough for cutting iron.
There are battery-powered 115 mm wheel cutters for cutting metal, but, as practice shows, with their high cost in solving household problems they are not justified.
The handles of the angle grinder should be rubber or a material that will dampen vibrations from the grinder.
But no technical specifications reflect convenience and safety at work. the angle grinder should rest comfortably and securely in your hand, so when working with metal to focus your attention on it, not on how to hold the tool in your hands. Preferably, the handles should be rubber or vibration-absorbing material with recesses for fingers.
Low-power lasers, as a rule, have no additional handle.
If the choice was found to be any discomfort, you should look for an angle grinder other model.
How to work safely with an angle grinder
The angle grinder is an indispensable tool, but it is also the most traumatic. That is why it is important to know and follow safe work practices.
Without observing the rules, this tool becomes extremely dangerous, so it is better not to work with it while intoxicated, very tired or sleepless. All of these conditions lead to carelessness and negligence, which can be dangerous.
Cutting Angle Iron With Angle Grinder
Before you start work, it is advisable to prepare all the necessary protective equipment. It is mandatory to have special goggles and face shields on hand. Sparks can enter the face, and especially the eyes, resulting in injury.
Working with the tool is prohibited without eye and face protection, in particular.
The cover is necessary to organize the protection between the tool itself and the person. Protective gloves must also be worn. Keep your hands absolutely close to the disc as you work. This means that all particles, sparks, and dross will fly on them. The best way to protect your hands is to use thick gloves or leather gloves.
Protective gloves help protect the skin on your hands.
Before working with the machine, it is necessary to prepare the following elements and devices:
- Goggles or a mask (the second option is preferable);
- Respirator or vacuum cleaner;
- Protective clothing that covers all parts of the body;
- Necessary attachments that are allowed to be used according to the instructions.
Having prepared all these items you can proceed to the direct work with the angle grinder.
Features of the job
The use of this tool requires following a few guidelines.
- It is necessary to hold the tool with both hands while working. This will help to hold it in case of a possible blow back and minimize its displacement.
- Work should be done only on a flat surface, without a feeling of loss of equilibrium.
Only hold the angle grinder with both hands, otherwise there is an increased risk of injury.
- Place the power cord away from the disc so that it cannot be damaged. A cut cord can not only cause a machine shock, but also cause a short circuit.
- the tool is held firmly in the hand until its disc has come to a complete standstill.
- To change cutting positions, the angle grinder must be turned off. Otherwise surrounding objects could be accidentally hit.
- In the case of a power failure, the tool must be unplugged from the mains as well. This is to ensure that when the power is on, it will not start without operator’s control.
- The discs are sufficiently heated during operation, so they must not be touched until they have cooled down completely after the angle grinder has been turned off.
The angle grinder is a dangerous tool. When working with it, a number of conditions must be observed:
- Do not use the tool without safety glasses;
- Before you start cutting or polishing, check the suitability of the disc at idle speed;
- Clothing must cover hands and protect against hot sparks;
- Do not remove the guard from the angle grinder;
- When cutting on a plane, the foreman and helper must be at the side of the tool;
- The machine cuts the material under its own weight, and unnecessary loading will result in deformation or jerking;
- Work without a break leads to overheating of the equipment and fatigue of the master, who must firmly hold the angle grinder in his hands, observing the cutting angle;
- The workpiece to be cut must be firmly clamped;
- You can not grind parts by the side of the cutting disc, because there are specialized circles for such work;
- A foreman and helper are within the work area. All other people step back at a safe distance;
- The radius of the cutting wheel should be 1/6 the thickness of the workpiece.
How to use an Angle Grinder Safely for Cutting and Grinding Materials
Working with defective discs
Health hazards often result from a defective cutting disc. Even a minor defect at high speed introduces itself unexpectedly. Chips, a crack, the absence of a small piece of the disk leads to its loosening, so that often the angle grinder simply fly out of the hands. Before you start cutting, it is better to check consumables for defects, and do it immediately before starting work, because the damage could occur after a fall or an external impact on the disc. Sometimes the plate can be stepped on, and the master simply will not notice it.
Despite numerous warnings about not working with defective discs, there are situations where the machinist simply did not visually see the defects. Such situations occur all the time and therefore it is necessary to follow a number of rules to protect your health as much as possible:
- Before each installation or start cutting, the consumable must be checked for defects;
- Wear personal protective equipment only: gloves, goggles or face shield.
The angle grinder is most often weighted in the hands of the craftsman and has no point of support, so the process of cutting or polishing should be approached in an extremely collected and sober manner. People in poor physical or mental health should not attempt to operate an angle grinder.