How to properly cut corners on ceiling plinths
Joining skirting boards
Having studied the presented information in detail, you will be able to answer the question, how to cut the ceiling plinth, using different methods of solving this problem. But in addition to this, you need to know effective ways to connect the strips.
One of the methods (already mentioned), based on the use of connecting elements.
They come in outer corners, inner corners, as well as for connecting skirting boards in straight areas. A very convenient way to save time, and in some cases, financial resources.
Even experienced professionals can’t mount ceiling skirting boards so that everything is perfectly flat and beautiful.
To ensure that the quality of the work performed was at the highest level, you should use the following recommendations:
- On the straight sections of the skirting should be connected so that one part slightly overlaps the other;
- After applying the adhesive at the joints, the residue must be wiped off;
- All gaps between different parts or between the skirting boards and the ceiling / walls must be sealed, with sealant (alternatively, putty with water-based paint).
Types of angles
Corner docking and trimming of the skirting differs depending on the type of corner, distinguish: internal, external and non-standard.
Inner corner, in other words, the corner of the room is less than 180, usually 90. When trimming an inside corner, the lower part of the ceiling plinth always protrudes over the top. The first thing is still necessary to measure the angle between the walls, if it is standard and equals 90, then the strips are trimmed at an angle of 45. Baguette, which is glued to the right side should be cut to the left, and the left plank to the right.
Outer corner or outer corner is less common, it is more than 180, usually about 270. In working with these angles it is exactly the opposite. The edge of the skirting board, which will be pressed to the ceiling, must be larger than the bottom one.
Custom Corners. Under such most often mean corners with a degree more or less than the standard of 90 and 270, as well as various kinds of roundings. Trimming in this case is done by eye or with a marking on the spot. Sections with roundings are assembled from several small elements, each of which is fitted in turn.
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a jigsaw
Marking the corners of the junction of the skirting can be made “in place” on the ceiling, and then the question at what angle to cut the skirting, there is no. over, it is possible to properly trim a baseboard without a pitchfork, but to get corners without gaps, you must work very carefully and accurately.
In this case, the design of the internal corner sequence of actions is as follows:
- Place the baseboard where it will be installed and run a fishing line along the edge of the batten on the ceiling where it will be joined. Marking is carried out with a pencil with a short non-bold line.
- We carry out similar procedure on the second side of a corner and we receive crossing of two lines.
- Now we transfer a marking of the received point on both skirting boards. There is no point in marking out the cutting line, as it will not be possible to trace it precisely on the uneven surface, and the pencil marks will remain on the piece after cutting.
- Place the skirting board on a wooden baseboard stand in its working position. It is convenient to use the second plank, placed with an edge on the base. We look at the place of the cut perpendicularly from above and we cut a strip, being guided by a mark and the opposite edge of a plinth.
- Trying on the cut skirting boards in the corner. You can erase the pencil marks with a rubber band.
The marking of the outer corner is done in a different way. The skirting board is put in place and on its lower edge a scythe line mark is made on the corner of the wall. Then on the second edge of the corner is attached a scrap of fillet, and a mark is made on the upper edge of the workpiece where the two profiles touch each other. The marking is transferred from the inside of the baseboard to the outside, and the cutting is done.
Note that in this case there are pencil marks on the ceiling, which are not always easy to remove. In addition, when cutting each corner, the marking operation must be done on the spot. It will probably be easier to work if you draw a template on the cutting stand with the lines intersecting at a 45º angle.
Now the workpiece can be laid on the base and cut, guided by the template. By the way, the marking of the template can be made taking into account the deviations of the corners in the room and obtain joints without gaps.
How to cut an angle on a skirting board
A ceiling plinth is a decorative element that adds a finishing touch to walls and ceilings. It is glued to the joint between the walls and the ceiling on a special glue, with the greatest difficulty usually cause the corners, both internal and external. How to properly cut the corner on the ceiling plinth, so as not to leave gaps and dents? This question must have been asked by anyone who has ever tried to glue a ceiling plinth with his own hands.
What ceiling plinths are made of
The most popular materials for making ceiling plinth, are:
All of these materials have a low mechanical strength and ease of processing. They can be cut both with a hacksaw for metal, and with a special wood hacksaw for delicate work. Trimming with a knife is not recommended, because the correctly marked and cut corner in the trim does not need, and if the marking or trimming was performed with violations, then correct the situation with a knife, as on the wooden skirting boards, will not work.
Chisel. a tool for cutting the corners of the baseboard
There are two ways to cut corners. with and without a tool (a plier). We will look at both methods.
Chisel. a carpenter’s tool, which is a small rectangular tray (you can make it yourself from wood or buy ready-made of plastic or metal), in the walls of which there are grooves. Slots guide the blade of the hacksaw at a certain angle to the axis of the tray.
Important: the angle of cutting the edge of the baseboard is always oblique and equals 45°, when processing elements intended to be installed at the joint in the corners of the ceiling. An oblique cut provides a snugger fit of the fillets.
Tools to be used
Styrofoam is the cheapest and least durable material. Although it does not need special strength. Styrofoam is slightly denser, more expensive and more difficult to process. But just like Styrofoam, it can be easily cut and adjusted with a knife. Wood is the most expensive and difficult material to use. In order to cut it you will need to use a hacksaw. And for minor fixes a file should be used.
A simple carpentry tool. But it is not worth buying it for one-time use. There are several ways to cut baseboards without using it
Polyurethane and plaster moldings are trimmed with a hacksaw for metal.
Styrofoam can be cut without a chisel, just with a utility knife.
IMPORTANT: You can in all cases use a hacksaw for metal. Small and frequent teeth guarantee a straight and precise cut.
perfect inside miter joint hack. baseboard molding install
What we will use to cut the ceiling??
Before you get to work, you should determine what material the ceiling plinths are made of.
Table. Materials used in the manufacture of ceiling skirting boards.
For your information! There are special fittings to facilitate the difficult process of installing the skirting boards. These are special corners designed for inserting skirting boards into them.
They are useful in that they hide the various errors made when working with the installation of the fillets. It is enough only to cut the skirting at an angle of 90 degrees, and the corner will do the rest of the work for you. It will disguise the holes and cracks, if any, will give the ceiling a nice look, and greatly facilitate the work.
- Wood. The most durable material compared to the other two below, the merits of which are hardness, impact resistance and the ability to withstand certain mechanical loads. Nevertheless, wooden skirting boards (another name. tacks), glued to the ceiling, are also relatively easy to handle. they can be cut (for this use a wood hacksaw), covered with varnish. Wood will give a warmth to the interior. From the disadvantages can be called a higher cost than that of the foam. However, the appearance of wooden fillets retains longer than that of the foam plastic.
- Styrofoam. Perhaps this material is the most unstable. it is not resistant to mechanical damage, scratches, and even minor impacts. Of the pluses. light weight, the ability to paint in different colors and ease of handling (it can be cut with a stationery knife, but very carefully).
- Styrofoam. This material can be considered a kind of Styrofoam, but its strength characteristics are somewhat higher (extruded polystyrene foam is more dense than Styrofoam). As for processing. Styrofoam is just as easy to cut with an ordinary sharp knife, and also has a small weight, and this is an important factor when considering the load on the walls.
Both Styrofoam and expanded polystyrene have one significant advantage: the softness of the material allows you to press the skirting board to the corners and to each other as tightly as possible, as a result of which there are no gaps. In addition, modern polystyrene skirting boards are made in such a way that they have a small recess. especially for hidden wiring.
Useful. Polyurethane stucco can transform the appearance of a standard apartment into an elegant stylish interior.