How To Properly Fill The Trimmer Head
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable assistant in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or the owner of his own house.
Thanks to these garden devices, you can easily mow down even a large garden plot. After acquiring this tool and doing a few tricks, many people think about how to properly wind the line onto the trimmer reel. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for replacing the fishing line in the instruction manual.
Preparation for winding fishing line
Prior to the winding process, it is necessary to remove the reel with fishing line from the housing. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three structural types of trimmers:
- Compact electric trimmers.
Straight Bar Trimmer
In such a model, it is possible to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To install the trimmer knife, it is necessary to combine the hole of the bobbin and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, it is easy to unscrew the housing by hand clockwise.
Winding fishing line on trimmer
The measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit reel makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the fishing line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today, there are several varieties of reels, depending on the number of antenna line fishing line and methods of refueling:
- Trimmer head with one working antennae;
- A bobbin with two antennae fishing line;
- Auto winding reel.
Single-Barrel Trimmer Coil
Single-mustache lawn mowing coil
Many owners and specialists note the simplicity of operation and refueling reels with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the fishing line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is made in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most coils on the outside of the case have marks in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the trimmer bobbin.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to strengthen the centrifugal force, which is crucial when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic reels. We pass the left end through the working hole of the coil and assemble the head.
Double Antenna Trimmer
Two groove head
After removing the spool from the coil body, we determine the number of streams for winding fishing line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but with careless refueling in a twin groove, there are problems with operation. Due to the likelihood of weaving adjacent tool strings, a situation may arise when it is impossible to remove new ones after wear of the working antennae.
Regardless of the number of streams for refueling, a fishing line from 1.5 to 3 meters long is taken. Winding must be done in the direction opposite to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will cause the line to not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded through special holes. Next, we collect the head in the reverse disassembly order and check the performance. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the guard will cut off the excess.
Trimmer head with automatic threading
Types of trimmer heads
In some models available on the market, a reel with an automatic winding mechanism is installed. It is enough for the owner to correctly tuck and fix the ends in the head, and the tool itself will perform the winding operation when it is switched on in the operating mode. It is almost impossible to wind a fishing line into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of an automatic trimmer head include the ease of refueling fishing line, and the disadvantages are frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. Both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- A bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- Eyes. Through them the fishing line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- The fishing line does not automatically extend;
- The cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. A bite occurred, i.E. Clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. Too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. Fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next.