How to properly lay and cut linoleum. The importance of the material
How to put linoleum correctly: a step.by.step process with your own hands
Linoleum is difficult to attribute to the most modern types of flooring. its production and practical use began at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. Nonetheless. This material is by no means going to give up its positions, since in many respects it successfully competes with innovative types of flooring, and in some parameters it even surpasses them. In addition, its popularity is understandable by a relatively low price, speed and simple flooring, which can be done independently.
It is this criterion that very often becomes decisive. the owners of the housing stop their choice on such material. But in this case, the problem inevitably arises before them: how to lay linoleum correctly? The purpose of this publication is to try to give the most capacious answer to the main questions regarding the styling of this type of coating.
All the “art” of the correct laying of linoleum can be conditionally divided into three important components:
- It is necessary to make the right choice of material based not only from decorativeness, but also their operational and environmental characteristics.
- It is necessary to make correct measurements to purchase the right amount of linoleum.
- The third, final stage. compliance with recommended styling technologies.
In this order, this article will be built.
What linoleum is covered in the apartment
You can probably keep a bet that with the word “linoleum”, most people immediately have a direct association with something artificial. synthetic. Apparently, therefore, a persistent prejudice is preserved in relation to this material as unfavorable from the point of view of ecology and creating a healthy microistmosphere in apartments.
Surprisingly, meanwhile, the very concept of “linoleum” has a definition of the naturalness of the material. This term was introduced back in the 19th century. And it came from two Latin words. “linum”. What does “linen” or “linseed canvas”, and “Olyum” mean, translated. “oil”. That is how the prototypes of this modern flooring were produced. dense linen or jute fabric was impregnated with treated vegetable oil, and then small cork crumbs were impressed there. By the way, almost the same, in general terms, technology is used in our time.
Classification of the type of basic material
- So, the first representative of modern linoleums is natural. For its production, exclusively natural materials are used: purified linseed oil, linseed or jute textiles, chopped wood, including cork, wood resins, natural dyes, etc.P. A return to the technologies of the past, despite the rich selection of synthetic materials, was caused by an increase in the interest of people in natural materials, which came in the 80. 90 years of the last century.
Than, in addition to high environmental friendliness, natural linoleum is good:
Forbo Marmoleum Sheet Installation Video
However, a number of factor in the E.in the same do not allow such a linoleum to become the leader of the market:
Nonetheless. For residential premises, natural linoleum is an excellent flooring, especially for sleeping or children’s rooms. But in the kitchen or in the hallway, it is not recommended to lay it.
-PVC-linoleum is produced on a non-woven, for example, felt, basis. He has much higher noise.insulating and insulation qualities, but he does not withstand moisture or intensive loads. In the kitchen or in the hallway you can’t put it.
-The most popular-linoleum on a foamed PVC substrate. It not only withstands serious mechanical influences, but can even hide some small defects in the floor surface.
PVC-linoleum can be homogeneous throughout its thickness-then it is called homogeneous. He is not afraid of abrasion, but this is not possible to achieve diversity in a decorative performance. usually these are plain coatings with color interspersed. It is good for rooms with high movement intensity and solid loads. In the apartment it can be laid, for example, in the kitchen or in the hallway. True, the cost of such a material is quite high.
Heterogeneous material has a fairly complex structure
Heterogenic linoleum has a complex multilayer structure. The amount, component composition, the thickness of the layers can vary, and the use of photo printing as a decorative layer of modern technologies practically does not limit the possibility of designing this coating.
In general, PVC-linoleum is the most applicable for residential premises:
Pvc-linoleum also has certain shortcomings, and the main one is a fairly large coefficient of linear expansion. With significant temperature changes, it, especially with not very accurate styling, can go in waves.
- Glyftal or alkyd linoleum is produced exclusively on a fabric basis. It is distinguished by excellent sound. and thermo.insulating qualities, it is durable, racks to external loads. But there is no need to talk about thermal resistance. when the temperatures are reduced, such a coating becomes brittle, low.elastic.
In addition, it is not as safe in fire as PVC. Laying such a coating requires increased qualifications of masters. All this in total determines the not so high popularity of alkyd linoleum, but still it is quite applicable for use in apartments. However, it is more often laid in public buildings or even in vehicles. buses, passenger cars, and t.P.
- You can not stop the colloxyl linoleum. its nitro.cellulose base is an extremely dangerous material from the point of view of fire, and such a coating in residential or public buildings is not used.
- Also much applies in everyday life. rubber.based linoleum. Its scope of use. technical, storage, industrial premises. In the apartment or residential building, despite its high operational characteristics, it is impossible to lay down. it does not differ in environmental cleanliness, it can distinguish evaporations unsafe for the human body.
How to lay linoleum: the best step.by.step videos and photos of the instructions
For many years in our country, linoleum was a cheap alternative to the parquet. No money on parquet. lay linoleum. In the minds of many of us, this material is undeservedly awarded the label “for the poor”. But in fact, this is far from the case. In pursuit of a certain likeness of luxury, we buy cheap analogues of elite building materials and thereby doom ourselves to inconvenience and extra costs. But you can forget about prejudice and buy high.quality linoleum. a material that has excellent wear resistance is easy to care for and looks great. over, every more or less experienced owner is sure that he knows how to put linoleum on his own. Let’s check if this is really.
Understand that this material is more relevant than ever by entering a large store selling flooring. The range of linoleum is huge here. is this not the best confirmation of its popularity?
In order not to get lost in diversity, pay attention to the marking. It consists of two digits, the first of which determines the type of room for which the material is intended:
The second digit shows to the load on what intensity the material is ready. from one to three by increasing. This does not mean that in an apartment or private residential building you can use linoleum only 21-23 classes. For example, class 31 linoleum is perfect for the kitchen. it is well washed and practically not afraid of damage. but the cost of such material is much higher.
In addition to a purely decorative function, linoleum can also serve for insulation and sound insulation. If these characteristics are important for you, choose a foamed material.
In addition to choosing a coating class, you will have to calculate the required amount. To do this, we offer you to use our online calculator:
Features of laying coating
And yet, how to put linoleum correctly? Instructions in the “World Wide Web” offer to glue it to the base. This method is most reliable. If you just spread linoleum and press with plinths, over time it can move, from which a wave forms on the floor. But returning the coating to the place is quite problematic. Firstly, for this you will have to take out all the furniture out of the room, and secondly, there is such a thing as the “habit” of the material-the shift will repeat in the near future.
In large rooms, where one strip of linoleum is not enough and you have to join several pieces, you can not do without glue. Even a decorative metal strip will not hold the material in place. In the end, it will just tear. However, a flawless method has the right to life. It is perfect for small rooms, where the load on the flooring is small. Especially if you plan to lay a carpet on top of linoleum.
Preparation of the foundation for styling
Linoleum is quite unpretentious, it can be placed on almost any basis. Due to his elasticity, he accurately repeats the shape of the base, so that the quality of the floor alignment is in this case of great importance. It is necessary to carefully close all the potholes and cracks, and then pour the surface.
Important! If the old linoleum has no obvious damage and was laid on glue, then you can not remove it. Read more in the article whether it is possible to put linoleum on linoleum: we solve an urgent dilemma
Before applying glue to the concrete floor, it must be primed. But not too even plank gender is better to first overtake plywood. Linoleum cannot be glued or attached with skirting boards on the day of purchase.
Before proceeding with the cut, the material must be spread on the floor and left for 1-2 days to “get used to”. Only after that you can pick up a construction knife and start work.
Important! Even a very wide linoleum must be transported by turning into rolls. It is almost impossible to align the curtains on the material.
Besweeting way of laying
Having decided not to glue the coating to the base, you will certainly get rid of a significant part of the work. How to properly put linoleum in this way knows, probably everyone is very simple. After the linoleum “lay down” must be cut off excess. This is done with a sharp building knife. Cutting the material against the wall, make a supply of several centimeters. That’s actually all, it remains only to fasten the skirting boards.
Glue laying rules
In most cases, it is still recommended to glue linoleum. This is done like this:
- After cutting the material, conditionally divide the room in half and roll one half of the coating into a roll.
- Using a gear spatula, apply glue to the base and unfold linoleum.
- It is important that at this moment the air bubbles do not fall under the coating. This is especially dangerous for thin and light material. In this case, it is better to walk on the surface with a rubber roller, as when sticking wallpaper.
- Now roll the second half of the material into the roll and repeat the procedure.
It is important when cutting large pieces of linoleum to leave a certain supply of material designed to compensate for its shrinkage. For a sheet 5 m long, 2 cm, up to 10 m. 4 cm, more than 11 m. 6 cm.
Subtleties of laying several sheets
In large rooms, as a rule, you have to join several sheets of linoleum. If you do this is not right, you can irreparably spoil the appearance of the room. Here are a few tricks that will help to avoid mistakes:
- Coating with an abstract pattern, for example, “under marble”, you need to glue from the window in the direction of sunlight. Then the joints will be less noticeable. For a material with a geometric pattern that imitates a wooden or tile floor, the direction of styling does not matter much.
- If you have to cut linoleum at the junction of the linoleum, then this must be done in a special way. two sheets at the same time. We put the uncircumcised sheets on the other and a very sharp knife using a ruler or the rules we cut both sheets at once. In this case, even if the incision is a little uneven, the cracks will not occur. Perhaps you will not be able to cut out two layers of thick linoleum, then try to at least scratch the strip on the lower sheet. In this strip you can then make an even section.
- When bringing furniture into the room, pay special attention to her legs. They should have special nozzles that prevent pouring flooring.
There are several more tricks about the connection of the sheets among themselves. About this next.
How linoleum welding is carried out?
Repair enterprises that are finishing large public buildings use special equipment to connect sheets. This welding method is called hot. Unfortunately, at home it is unavailable, but it may well be replaced by the so.called cold welding. This is a special glue that melts the edges of linoleum and leads to their seamless connection.
- You need to use cold welding very carefully. To protect the visible sections of the coating, it is necessary to stick a painting tape to the joint of the sheets, and then cut it so as to open the connection place.
- With special accuracy, the gap between the sheets must be filled with glue, the layer thickness should be at least 4 mm.
- After a few minutes, you can remove the tape with the remains of glue.
Types of coating
To choose the method of attaching the floor product to the floor, you need to resort to its categorization.
Based on the material of manufacture, two main groups of linoleum are distinguished: natural and artificial. Natural linoleum is made of natural raw materials and is considered environmentally friendly and safe. He is a fiery, antistatic, wear and tear, is easy to maintain. Its disadvantage is in low plasticity, in this regard, difficulties arise during transportation and installation.
Artificial linoleum can consist of polyvinyl chloride, nitrocellulose, rubber, alkyd resin. Polyvinyl chloride coating received the most common use in the repair.
The following types are distinguished by the degree of wear resistance:
Half.commercial and domestic linoleums are laid in residential premises. Technical linoleum has great wear resistance and is used in rooms with high patency.
The structure of linoleum can be:
- Homogeneous. This is whole material throughout the structure.
- Heterogeneous. The product has several different layers. a protective layer, base, isolation, substrate.
Linoleum distinguishes various foundations:
- Without a base. this thin product requires a high degree of evenness of the black floor. Has moisture resistance and wear resistance.
- On a foamed basis. elastic foamed polystyrene, suitable for laying in rooms with high humidity, thickness. about 3 mm.
- On a fabric basis-consists of a jute or felt substrate and the upper PVC layer. The total thickness is 5 mm, has thermal insulation properties.
It will be optimal if, along with the vinyl coating, select a suitable adhesive mixture when buying.
The question of how to glue linoleum is considered separately in each individual case.
The choice of fixation method depends on:
- the number of paintings;
- sexual basis;
- type of linoleum and its foundations;
- level of passage load;
- temperature and humidity in the room.
The temporary method of fixing linoleum. on double.sided tape. Of the advantages, you can note quick installation. glue linoleum stripes on the floor, remove the protective layer and press linoleum. Minus. after time, the adhesive of the tape layer dries, the clutch ceases to be reliable. Building adhesive tape can fasten the flooring of up to two years.
Universal method of attaching linoleum. on liquid nails. This glue is suitable for any materials and surfaces, forms a fairly strong layer. Gluing on liquid nails is appropriately pointwise into small areas.
On the glue “moment” you can glue the edge of the linoleum coating. It is also suitable for gluing Relin (elastic coating containing rubber).
To stick the flooring on the old linoleum or tile, universal contact glue of the brand CS: GO is used. It contains silicates, mineral supplements that give the glue frost.resistant, refractory properties. Glue has a high clutch property with smooth surfaces that have small adhesion.
Fixing to special glue is the most reliable way to fasten.
Different adhesive compounds are suitable for a certain type of linoleum. There are three groups of adhesive compounds:
The dispersion adhesives have proven themselves to glue domestic linoleums, as they are easy to use, without a pungent odor, quickly dry out. The composition contains water, latex, carboxymethyl cellulose, acrylic, chalk, polymers and different additives. Dispersion adhesives are ideal for the base of wood and concrete. It is important to make sure that the glue does not freeze, because it will lose its properties.
The main types of water-dispersing mixtures:
- Acrylate is used for gluing an unconscious linoleum, on a tissue and PVC-one. In composition, it is viscous because it contains latex, CMC, chalk. Popular acrylate adhesives. PVA, Polin;
- Bustylate is suitable for linoleum with a warm woolen felt base;
- Gumilax is chosen when fixing natural linoleum, because it has minimal humidity. It consists of natural components. latex and rubber.
For durable adhesion of artificial types of linoleum with a concrete base, mastic is used.
- Dispersion mastic glues linoleums with a fibrous warm base;
- Bitumen mastic is used to fix linoleum on a fabric basis;
- Rubber mastic. a universal adhesive composition for non.contemporary linoleums for any base.
How to measure, cut and install Linoleum floors Part 1 of 3
The mastic firmly fixes the base and hides minor defects due to the thickness of the layer. It also acts as a waterproofing layer. Mastic is used for gluing with a large area.
Reactional polymer compounds
The reaction glue enters into a chemical reaction with the coating, which ensures the strength of the connection. Reaction compounds are toxic, fire hazard, have a pungent smell. It is used to combine the technical types of linoleum, since the adhesive layer is durable, moisture.resistant, is able to endure strong loads.
In domestic conditions, reactionary adhesives are used for cold welding of linoleum seams.
The adhesives of the reaction type are divided into:
- Type A glue is produced to docking the canvases of the new linoleum;
- The type of C is glued to old deformed joints up to 5 mm thick;
- Type T use professionals for linoleum from polyester.
The adhesive seam of type A is driving in 15 minutes, such as C. in 30 minutes.
Types of knives
To understand how to cut off linoleum, it is recommended to get acquainted with the list of tools that professionals use in advance. Here is their list:
- Construction knife. It is a sliding design. If the blade is perfectly sharpened, work with linoleum is performed quickly and easily. The construction knife looks like an ordinary stationery. He also has a retractable blade. The difference is that the construction knife is designed for cutting dense materials, for example, linoleum, and the stationery is used mainly for paper. Therefore, the blade of the first is wider and durable. This knife is also used to drive thin.layer materials. In the process of using the tool, it is necessary to monitor the course of the cutting canvas.
- A special knife designed for cutting linoleum. This tool is equipped with a curved blade, so you can cut any floor covering without much difficulty. Such a knife can be used to perform direct cut and to cut out various curly parts.
- Floor.coat. To date, this special device is presented in the market in a wide range. A version with a disk cutting element is ideal for linoleum. The tool can fix the canvas in the frame. In addition, for cutting linoleum, you can use a device with a fixed cutting element. The cutting of flooring can perfectly cut the even edge.
How to decide on the choice of tools
To perfectly cut linoleum for any room, you need to familiarize yourself with information on the choice of tools in advance. The knife should have the following characteristics:
- Have a reliable handle. It can be made of wood or metal. As for the cutting canvas, it is made of stainless high.quality steel.
- The tool should be selected in the thickness of the material. This will help to avoid problems during the cutting of the flooring. It is best to use blades from 0.6 to 1 mm.
- The knife must withstand heavy loads.
In order for the workflow to be fast and convenient, it is important to know the whole variety of tools that are presented today on the market. There are products that are designed for the cord, for removing the chamfer, as well as various scissors. To choose the right tool, it is imperative to take into account the thickness of a particular linoleum and its structure.
Gluing. a method of laying in large rooms
Linoleum to the floor in rooms up to 20 m is now not glued at all at all. That is, rarely use glue for this.
With the advent of adhesive tape, most of the finishes were happy to get carried away with an option that increases the level of decoration, and at the same time facilitating the dismantling process in the event of a change in “scenery”. You can see how to properly lay linoleum. the video shows the floor device using a tape with two sticky sides, followed by seaming of the seams.
- The binder is applied to the surface of the black floor, processing it at first the middle of the room. In places of location of butt joints, the glue is not applied to the floor, about 12 cm is left dry. In the area of the floor adjacent to the walls, glue is applied. The thickness of the layer of the binder is regulated by the manufacturer and depends on the brand of linoleum. In order to increase adhesion, the back of the material can also be treated with a thin layer of glue.
- Half of the fabric pre.spreading on the floor rolls into a very tight roll, stopping in the middle of the room. Mastic is applied in a way similar to the above option. Then swaying a tight roll back and forth, glue the material to the base when rolling, moving away from the center of the destroyed room to the periphery.
All air from under the glued material must be expelled, carefully with effort to walk along the surface with a special roller or ordinary rag. Otherwise there will appear defects and waves due to partial exfoliation. They may arise due to the lack of clearances along the contour, if a partially glued coating with an increase in temperature will expand.
“Cold welding”. a neat beautiful seam
In order to make the seams “cold welding” use the seams almost invisible:
- The joint of the sheets is glued with painting tape, it must be thoroughly fixed on the surface.
- The knife blade is buried in the seam and the glued tape is cut along it.
- A tube with special glue is inserted into the section and, dosing the composition, process it with a cut.
- The conjugated edges with the connecting material must be pressed tightly.
- Through a small period of time indicated by the manufacturer, the painting tape is removed.
With punctual following the instructions of the manufacturer, there are no traces from the used means used. Usually the seams are welded a day after gluing.
It is not too difficult to put linoleum properly linoleum. It is important not to deviate from the rules developed as a result of many years of practice and not to forget about the nuances of laying linoleum related to the specific properties of flooring from polyvinyl chloride. Studying technological features will help to avoid errors and damage to the material. Firmly glued linoleum will “true” to serve and delight the owners for a long time.
Preparation of the material and the selection of tools for linoleum flooring
The preparation of the material implies not only its pruning, but also storage conditions. The ideal temperature regime in which linoleum should be considered before laying from 15 to 25 ° C. This is due to an increase in the fragility of the coating when exposed to low temperatures. Therefore, if you have to lay linoleum with your own hands in the winter, then you must definitely bring it into the room in advance and, without unfolding, let it lie down for at least 12 hours.
Useful advice! In order to avoid the wavy coating in the future, after the linoleum is deployed on the surface, you need to leave it for a while before proceeding with the cut and laying.
While linoleum rolled on the floor is leveled, it is worth thinking about the presence of all the tools necessary for independent laying:
The construction knife is great for cutting linoleum
All of the above will probably be found in the pantry of any home master. So for laying there is no need to purchase any expensive tools, which is another indisputable plus in this case.
DIY linoleum laying: step.by.step instructions for work
Before you glue linoleum on the floor, you need to know one very important rule: for rooms whose area does not exceed 25 m², the adhesive composition is not used. Of course, this applies only to those cases when one whole or, in extreme cases, two pieces of material is used. In this case, it will be quite enough to fix the material under the skirting boards. At the junction, you can use bilateral tape.
So, we will consider each step in detail:
- Having made sure that the linoleum roll that you previously unfolded has a sufficient amount of time and leveled off, we put it in such a way that one of the parties is located almost close to the wall, and the gap is only 3-5 mm. Relative to the remaining three walls, the material should be a little overlap.
- If the area of the room is large enough and you can’t use one sheet in any way, you will have to work with joints. First of all, attention should be paid to fitting joints so that these places look aesthetically pleasing. Only after that you can proceed directly to laying pieces, again, not forgetting about some overlap on the walls. Very often the surface of linoleum has some kind of pattern, ornament or pattern. In this case, there is an additional need to combine the drawing in the joints. The most important thing is to do this properly in the middle of the room. This is also important if the pattern is repeated in the next room, and you need to combine it in the doorway. For this, one of the sheets of the coating must be shifted until the picture coincides.
- This stage is relevant if you have to work with several pieces of linoleum, which have a pattern. Most often, the drawing imitates a parquet or tile, that is, consists of intersection of straight lines. In this case, in order for the coating to look as neat as possible, these lines should not be located at an angle, relative to the walls. Such linoleum will look beautiful only if the lines are located strictly in parallel.
- After that, you need to fit linoleum to the protrusions and niches that are in the room. In fact, you have to deal with this almost always, since the niches under the windowsill and in the doorway are a common thing. In that case, in order to avoid an error and not spoil the material, you must first measure the depth of the niche.
Warm floor under linoleum, on a wooden floor
On a wooden floor, the possibility of laying. The technology of a warm floor from an infrared film under a linoleum on a wooden floor.
How to cut linoleum in various cases: examination of examples
As an example, we consider the features of working with the corridor. In this case, the first overlap, which should correspond to the depth of the niche in size, is made near the front door. To do this, first you just need to measure the depth of the niche and wrap the corresponding section of the coating. Then it remains only to carefully cut off the extra areas on the sides so that the remaining piece perfectly lay inward. In the same way, linoleum is adjusted for all other niches that are.
Another case, which is much more likely to encounter in the kitchen than in the corridor. the presence of a protrusion. In this case, to conduct the most accurate measurements, it is necessary to lay linoleum before the ledge and tap. The depth of the protrusion must be measured, and then mark the resulting value on the material. After that, it remains only to carefully cut the coating carefully.
Before proceeding with the pruning of linoleum, it is necessary to fix it securely
With the exception of these situations, in the process of fitting linoleum there is nothing complicated. It is enough only to bend the linoleum to the wall so that it fit the most tightly to it, and then, using a knife and a ruler, carefully trim the material. This method is suitable if the repair is carried out in the apartment of an old house, the walls of which cannot differ in perfect evenness. The main thing is not to rush, so as not to accidentally cut off the excess.
How to put it correctly?
Before laying linoleum, it is necessary to make thorough measurements of the room, which will help to determine the necessary size of the coating. In order to determine the size of the sheet of the material, it is necessary to measure the length and width of the room, by multiplying these two dimensions, it will turn out the area, it will help to determine the necessary size of the linoleum canvas.
When buying the material, you must focus on the area of the room, but do not forget to add 20-30 centimeters of the reserve to measure. This will not incur large financial costs, but will not only not fail in case of measurement error, but also cut the coating, if necessary, lay it on a non.standard floor floor.
After the necessary footage is bought, it is worth taking care of the selection of some other tools that will be needed in the process of work with your own hands.
Installation is best done with the following set:
- A good powerful vacuum cleaner. It is better if it is industrial, because it is with its help that it is easier to remove construction dust and unnecessary garbage.
- It is impossible to lay linoleum without a sharp construction knife and scissors, with which not only floor material will be cut off, but also the litter that will go under it.
- If the installation is carried out directly on the old screed, then you need to take care of the presence of a grinding machine or enough skin. Before laying new material, the old floor will need to be thoroughly smoked.
- The flooring also involves the use of a long construction line. With its help, it is possible not only to measure the cut, but also check the coating for creases.
- In addition, you need a special glue and a spatula for its application.
- If it is planned to lay several cuts with a seam, it is worth stocking up with a solution for the seaming of the seams, otherwise moisture and garbage can get into them, which will ruin the entire coating.
So, when there is all the necessary materials, the floor is already leveled, if necessary, the selected substrate is laid, you can directly proceed to the flooring. The styling technology is simple. Start with the sizes. The material is laid out on the surface and with the help of scissors and a sharp knife it occurs by cutting it, holes for pipes, angles and other necessary functional elements are cut out, depending on the shape and type of room. When trimming, it is worth remembering that the canvas should be as stretched as possible from one wall to another, otherwise creases and bubbles may form on the surface, which will look unaesthetic and reduces the service life.
After adjusting the size of the canvas, it is necessary to fasten it with a concrete surface. There are three common fastening options. Oddly enough, the first type is the absence as such. Linoleum is thoroughly pulled and attached only with a plinth. This option is advisable to use only in rooms with small dimensions.
The second common way is to fasten the adhesive tape. This is a rather complicated and laborious way. First you need to stick the tape around the perimeter of the material, after which, gradually removing the film, you need to lay the canvas and smooth it on the floor.
The most appropriate method of attachment for rooms with large patency and large dimensions is gluing on a special adhesive solution. It is necessary to finish the flooring process by fixing the material around the perimeter using skirting boards.
After laying in any way, it is necessary to cover for several days to dry and shrinkage, after which you can put any furniture on it, and use the room for its purpose.
How to lay lenoleum correctly, you can watch in the next video.
The better to fix it?
In the previous paragraph, three methods of attaching linoleum were named. This is a flaring method, adhesive tape and glue.
The most appropriate solution is, of course, to glue the coating to the concrete. This will help to avoid bubbles, exfoliation of the material, in addition, this type of fastening will slightly strengthen the material itself, add hardness and strength to it.
If the adhesive method is chosen, it is necessary to choose the right type of glue. It must correspond not only to the type of material, but also to be combined with a primer that will be applied to concrete before laying.
Today you can find two types of glue on sale:
These two types of adhesive solutions have their own characteristics and are combined in different ways with various types of soils. The most correct choice in order to ensure proper and high.quality gluing at home will be dispersion glue. It is produced on the basis of water, can be successfully combined with a substrate of any material, and also contains a special substance in its composition, which prevents mold under the coating.
The reactionary type of glue acts through a special chemical reaction, which comes from the interaction of the glue and the basis of linoleum. This compound has a high clutch. It is better to attach linoleum to this type of glue in places with large cross.country ability, as well as in rooms with large dimensions.
Average per kilogram.
In addition to glue of various types, adhesive mastic is often used to connect the concrete floor and selected material. It is made on the basis of bitumen. In addition, a resin or rubber may contain ideal adhesion in such a mastic, and at the same time even more to align the small bumps or scratches available on concrete, which may remain even after the most thorough leveling. A special requirement for this type of solution is the use of only plastic tools for applying and leveling the mixture, since the metal can enter into an unwanted reaction with bitumen.
The process of gluing with any of the selected materials is extremely simple, only changes in the sequence of application are possible. So, glue can be applied directly to the floor or substrate or on the material of the coating itself. After application, it is necessary to smooth the applied layer of glue. Further actions will depend on the type of material for adhesion. If dispersion or reactionary glue was selected, then you can immediately start gluing and smoothing the floors. But in the case of the bitumen mastic, it will be necessary to wait 15-20 minutes before the sticker, while the applied mass grabs slightly. Such exposure will provide a more reliable clutch, and the gluing process will be easier.
If you need to glue the canvas in an even joint, it is necessary to apply glue to concrete, but the coating itself is laid over. A gap of 2-3 centimeters must definitely remain with this method of gluing. After that, you need to take a sharp industrial knife and cut both layers, then remove the excess and cover the junction of the joint with a special putty on an adhesive basis, which will provide an even and strong joint. In addition, it is the technique of laying in the joint that it necessarily requires gluing the canvas to the floor, otherwise the coating will puff all the time and retreat.
Linoleum laying: the main points
Last time, we prepared the base for laying linoleum, collected the necessary tools, and let it depart, gamble according to all the rules. Now we list the main points directly when laying.
Roll up linoleum rolls upward. Make sure that the front side does not rub on the floor. then the upper protective coating will remain whole.
If the wall along which the edge of the roll is even even, then it can be rolled along the wall. If there are irregularities, then we will lead a linoleum on the wall a few centimeters. then we will cut off this material so that the edge is at the same distance from the wall.
To reduce the difference in shades, roll rolls in opposite directions. If the design of the coating is pronounced. for example, this is a tree, then we roll such a linoleum in one direction. And here we must already take care of combining the picture.
Before we start cutting the material, you need to fix the canvases. To do this, along their edges, on the base under linoleum, we stick a double.sided tape. All cuts must be done gradually, and not at all the measured distance. the excess can be removed later, but the missing one will be difficult to glue.
External angle (protrusion). Press the coating to the protrusion, cut along the corner down to the joint point. We make a small cut-grinder at the junction of the floor and angle of the wall so that the gaps do not go. We dilute the resulting parts to the sides. then they can already be shortened separately.
Inner angle. Along the wall, parallel to the floor, gradually cut off the pieces until the coating falls into the corner.
Docking of the seams. Of course, it’s good if the room manages to lay a whole roll (the standard width of linoleum, as you remember, 2.5-4 meters). But in some cases it will be necessary to lay several paintings together. In order to make the most inconspicuous seam, you need to fit the panels in place. To do this, we lay the sheets one over another, overlap, align the panels before combining the pattern. We mark the desired fishing line for a trimmer, and cut two layers at once on a metal ruler. along the entire seam. We remove the segments, and now the even joint is ready.
It is necessary to leave the gap from the wall to the edge of the linoleum of 5-10 mm, so that later the straightened coating does not begin to tag and go in waves. It will also be a gap for temperature fluctuations. sprains and compression of the floor in summer and winter, and with a change in humidity.
Glue linoleum on the recommendation of manufacturers. So it will reliably last the entire service life. The glued linoleum will not move under furniture, it is much more difficult to break. Select the right glue for flooring, carefully study its instructions, apply according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
The already cut and aligned sheet of linoleum is rolled from the edge to the middle half, we smear the floor under it with glue. Apply the glue with a thin layer, a gear spatula A1-A2 (width and depth of the cavity between teeth from 1.4×1.1 mm to 1.8×1.5 mm). Slowly roll the roll back. We press it with a roller or a shameful board from the center to the edges to remove all the air bubbles. Gently roll the remaining half, and glue it.
The seams can be closed as a special profile (relevant for thresholds), and combined with welding. For commercial coatings, hot welding with a special soldering tool is carried out, and at home you can simply make cold welding.
We wait a day after gluing linoleum. On the already fitted, trimmed and glued to the floor, we glue the painting tape along the seam. We cut the tape along the junction, insert the needle of the tube into it, slowly squeeze the glue of cold welding there so that it penetrated to the entire depth. We process the seam according to the instructions of the adhesive manufacturer.
Laying linoleum stages
Regarding the tile linoleum, its styling implies the alignment of the floor, otherwise fragments will be released from each other. After preparing the floor, it is primed, the center of the room is determined. To do this, pull the threads diagonally from the corners of the room. The first tiles are placed in the center: the glue is applied to its back, while retreating from the edges of the fragment.
It is important to roll every blank with a roller. After gluing all fragments, a sealant is applied to the surface of the coating.
Tips for professionals
In order for the type of flooring to please the eye, look professionally and solid, you can take a note of some tips of experienced masters.
- When laying a marble or plain linoleum with joints, it is preferable to lay a canvas in the direction of light: this is how the coating will look monolithic;
- To glue the joints, you can use bilateral tape;
- The primer is better to acquire a deep penetration: so the adhesion of two surfaces will be maximum;
- Using the oil-meat mastic, the base can be primed with olifa;
- If the mastmosa is a bitumen or rubber, instead of a primer, a mastic diluted with gasoline in a ratio of 1: 3 can be used;
- It is impossible to immediately deploy a roll and lay the material on an uneven floor: high.quality work does not tolerate haste (both material and gender need preparation);
- If the linoleum departs from most of the base, it does not have enough mastic: you need to carefully remove the linoleum, clean it from the adhesive, re.primed and lay down.
Experts pay attention to the fact that for some types of flooring, trademarks develop their adhesive compositions. This factor matters: if you ignore the recommendations of the manufacturer, put linoleum on another glue, you can ruin the structure of the material. If this happens, the carpet will help to save the matter, which can be closed the floor.
However, here not everything is so simple: the carpet should be placed exclusively on the linoleum tightly glued to the floor. If it slides or has a lot of bubbles, it will not work to close such a defect with any carpet.