How To Properly Saw An Angle Grinder Metal
How to properly saw an angle grinder metal Cutting an angle grinder: tiles, metal (corrugated board, cast iron, pipe, metal tile), concrete, glass, asphalt, porcelain stoneware, brick. Can an angle grinder cut wood
Like all other tools, the angle grinder is divided into classes, professional and household tools, as well as by their design features.
This is perhaps the most widely used tool outside of the drill. Many people work with an angle grinder, but not everyone is wondering about the correctness of the manipulations performed, from the point of view of personal safety and quality of work. In this article, we want to devote you to the basic subtleties of working with this tool and consider in detail the following questions:
Let’s go in order.
How TO CUT CORRECTLY AN angle grinder?
Before you get started, you need to prepare your angle grinder. We mean the choice of rig (disc). The following points should be considered here:
- Disc diameter. Remember, the smaller the disc diameter, the more revolutions (higher rotational speed) it can handle, and vice versa.
- The choice of a disc depends primarily on the material with which you plan to work and the design features of your instrument.
- Pay close attention to the legend and markings on the disc. Having carefully studied them, you will understand whether the selected equipment is suitable for the proposed work.
Also, always follow safety precautions and wear special equipment such as gloves, goggles, long sleeved robes and closed shoes.
First of all, clear the workplace of unnecessary items. Securely fix the workpiece to be processed, having previously marked it on it, if necessary. Let’s get to work.
Always hold the tool firmly and confidently with both hands. Take a steady body position. You need to stand so that sparks, in the process of work, do not fly onto your clothes and, especially, into your face.
Always remember about such a thing as kickback. This is the most dangerous thing that can happen when working with a grinder. It can occur if the disc is strongly jammed in the workpiece. In such a situation, the angle grinder will be thrown back sharply. Monitor the process to avoid this.
Also remember that the power cord of the angle grinder must be insulated from sparks during operation. If you need to move the instrument to a different work surface, be sure to turn it off first, then unplug the power cord. The same should be done in the event of a power outage. As soon as the power goes out, turn off the instrument and then unplug it from the mains. If this is not done, then when the power is restored, the angle grinder will start to work in a chaotic mode again and can cause irreparable harm to your health, those around you or damage objects around.
The most frequently asked question that arises among novice craftsmen is the following: How to cut an angle grinder correctly: for yourself or away from yourself? Many do not give this special significance, but in vain.
Bulgarian manufacturers advise their consumers the following: The tool should be used in such a way that the course (direction) of the cut coincides with the direction of rotation of the disc.
Experienced craftsmen have a clear answer to this question: You need to make a cut from yourself. This is for your safety. In case the angle grinder is pulled out of your hands, the tool will be thrown in the opposite direction from you. If you cut towards yourself, when the above situation occurs, the tool will fly to your feet. We will not describe the consequences. You can imagine them yourself.
If you are cutting parts or workpieces that have thick metal, cut them in an extremely straight line.
When working on a part such as a corner or when cutting a profile or profile tube, which is usually quite long, cut the overhanging edge. Otherwise, if you make a cut in the place between the supports, such an outcome as a jamming of the blade due to the deflection of the workpiece is possible.
If you are cutting a profiled sheet (sheet metal sheeting), metal siding (metal siding) or metal tiles, take care of the presence of special anti-corrosion substances that need to be lubricated in order to avoid sudden corrosion.
In case you are cutting paving slabs or paving stones, get a special diamond cut disc.
Reinforced concrete, concrete and other similar materials must be processed with special discs for stone.
If you need to cut a gas or oxygen cylinder, be very careful as it may explode due to the remaining trace of gas or condensation. It is better not to carry out such work at home.
If you need to cut glass or, for example, a mirror. The most trivial ceramic disc will suit you.
When working with material such as wave slate, be careful to avoid chipping and unevenness.
It is possible to process rubber with an angle grinder, but not necessary. If you understand what we mean.
Grooves, springs, rebar or channel can also be cut with an angle grinder.
Need to cut drywall or polycarbonate? Do this very carefully to avoid chipping and breaking the material. You will need neatness if you need to cut glass mosaics. For example, if you are cutting off excess parts from a pasted arch, cover the cut and the part to be cut off with masking tape or construction tape. This minimizes the possibility of cracks and prevents debris from scattering on the floor after cutting.
How TO CUT A TILES WITHOUT CHIPS ANGLE GRINDER?
As we said above, the range of applications for the angle grinder is incredibly wide. She also acts as an excellent helper when cutting material such as tiles or tiles. But, a logical question arises regarding the equipment: How is it better to work on tiles? To carry out this type of work, you need to get a grinding diamond wheel and a tile holder. It is hardly possible to work without dust with this material, so take care of a protective mask in advance.
Let’s take a closer look at the process itself and how to cut tiles or tiles without chips.
- The easiest way is to cut straight. Fix the tile well so that its edge remains suspended along the mowing line of the cut and get to work.
- The next method to be noted is cutting at a 45 angle. This method is more complicated than the first one. First, we cut the ceramic tile with a straight cut. Then, when cutting the disc, the angle grinder is guided at an angle and remove the unnecessary part. Next, we grind the cut with sandpaper.
How TO CUT CORRECTLY THE METAL angle grinder?
First, let’s talk about the dangers that lie in wait for the master when cutting metal with an angle grinder, namely:
- Fragments of the disc, in the event of a break;
- Powerful stream of sparks and small abrasive particles;
- In some cases, the inability to hold the instrument in the hands.
And now, a few tips for working with metal.
If you have no experience in this type of work, then, for a start, it is worth practicing on unnecessary details. If in the course of work, you decide to change the cutting plane when the disc is inside the workpiece, this will immediately lead to its breakage.
To increase the life of discs, especially expensive ones, they need to be cooled. This is done with water. It is necessary to water the cutting area. It is advisable that you work with a partner who will carry out all these additional manipulations.
Also, breaks of 5-7 minutes every 20-30 minutes of work will help to increase the service life of the equipment, and the tool itself. This rule is especially important when working with household angle grinders. This way you will keep your instrument from overheating.
It should also be remembered that you should not put pressure on the angle grinder during operation, otherwise it may fail due to overheating, or the disc will jam. If you feel that performance is too slow, try changing the drive.
Can the angle grinder CUT WOOD?
Many experienced craftsmen claim that cutting wood with an angle grinder is to be. Our opinion: it is really possible to cut wood with an angle grinder, but it is extremely unsafe, inconvenient, slow and of poor quality. And that’s why.
Firstly, during operation, the disc of an angle grinder gets very hot and becomes incredibly fragile. The slightest misalignment can result in a ruptured disc. You can find out about the consequences of this situation from the pictures on the Internet.
Secondly, when working with a disc equipped with victorious solders, these solders can easily get under the skin. And this is a direct way to the hospital, because you cannot remove them on your own, plus all this is fraught with infection.
Thirdly, when using a disc on wood, the teeth can grab more wood than you expect, and this, in turn, will lead to that. That the angle grinder will simply rip out of your hands. It is very dangerous!
We hope we have explained in an accessible way why you cannot use an angle grinder when working on wood and you will not even try.
But, as practice shows, many craftsmen at home resort to using an angle grinder in the process of processing materials such as chipboard, chipboard, laminate, OSB board or plywood. This should be cut as carefully and in compliance with all safety measures. Otherwise, you can not only spoil the material, but also be injured.
How TO EXACTLY CUT an angle grinder?
In order not to spoil the workpiece and make a high-quality smooth cut of the angle grinder, you will need to perform a number of preparatory measures, which we will discuss in this part of the article.
- Markup. All ingenious is simple. First we mark, then we cut. Take pipe cutting as an example. First, use a chalk or marker to apply the size, then use paper or duct tape. The main thing is that the edge is even. We take the selected auxiliary material and carefully wrap it around the pipe. Its border will be a clear and accurate marking of the cut. When performing work, it is important to remember that under no circumstances should you change the position of the tool stroke. Otherwise, the disc may jam or break. So, do not put additional pressure on the tool, as this will immediately be reflected in the curvature of the cut and spoil your workpiece.
- It is very important to choose the right thickness of the circle. There is a simple axiom at work: the thicker the material you work with, the thicker the disc should be. When choosing a tool, consult an expert in the field and pay attention to the marking of the grinding wheel applied to his shirt.
How TO SAFELY CUT AN Angle Grinder?
The work of an angle grinder is a matter that requires constant attention and control, because the consequences of accidents are irreversible. Therefore, before starting work, take care of the following:
- Take care of the protection of all parts of the body: face, hands, eyes.
- Clean the work area from excess, especially the place where the sparks fly out, remove all combustible materials away.
- The workpiece to be machined must always be securely fixed.
- Be sure to install the protective cover.
- Hold the tool firmly while working.
- At the end of the work, wait until the disc rotation has stopped completely, place the angle grinder with the disc facing up so as not to damage it, unplug the tool from the mains and check that there is no smoke or signs of fire.
What CANNOT BE CUT with an angle grinder? Basic ERRORS
The list below shows the materials that the angle grinder can work with. It is prohibited to work with materials that are not on the list.
- The angle grinder is perfect for cutting materials such as cast iron, metal, steel, copper, aluminum, iron, titanium. You can cut stainless steel or galvanized.
- With the appropriate attachments, you can also work with plastic, ceramics, glass, plexiglass and porcelain.
- Stone, granite, marble, asphalt, concrete or a wall made of it, brick, porcelain stoneware can also be processed by an angle grinder.
An angle grinder comes in handy when you need to cut off water pipes or old heating.
One of the main factors that guarantee the quality of work is the right tooling. If you have any questions or want to purchase discs, please contact our managers at the specified phones. They will recommend suitable discs and advise you on all issues of interest.
Basic rules for safe work when cutting metal angle grinder
The layout of the most dangerous sectors during operation of the angle grinder, taking into account the rebound and destruction of the disc.
The most necessary condition for cutting is strict adherence to the rules of safe work.
Grinder manufacturers are constantly trying to minimize the risk of injury and injury by inventing and improving various protection systems. But no one cares about the worker like he does.
The main dangers that arise when cutting metal are the flight of fragments of a broken disc, the flow of sparks and the smallest abrasive particles, the inability to hold the tool in your hands.
If the disc breaks or gets stuck, the angle grinder can be pulled out of your hands at the most inopportune moment and with great force, therefore, before starting work, you should consider the direction of its possible movement.
Safety rules cannot be neglected even when performing small work.
Before starting work, you should:
- Protect face, eyes, hands and, if possible, all body parts.
- Remove all combustible materials and objects that are in the direction of the discharge of sparks.
- Fasten the workpiece to be machined in a vice, if possible. Do not hold the workpiece with your free hand or press with your feet.
- If you install a new disc, you need to “spin” its angle grinder at maximum speed, placing it further away: the disc may be defective and fly to pieces.
- Install, adjust and secure the protective cover.
It is best to protect your face with a special face shield when working with an angle grinder.
During work, you should:
- When replacing discs during rest, disconnect the angle grinder from the mains.
- Use goggles or a face shield to protect your eyes and face. Professionals use both for extended work.
- Hold the angle grinder firmly during all work.
- To replace the drive, you need to wait until it comes to a complete stop.
- Wear protective gloves. It is undesirable to use cotton gloves, they do not provide sufficient protection, they can ignite, and the threads wind up on the spindle of an angle grinder or disc.
- During work, you need to position yourself so that the face, and, if possible, all parts of the body are not in the plane of rotation of the disk.
At the end of the work, you should:
- Wait until the disc rotation has stopped completely and only then put the tool on the floor with the disc upward so as not to damage it;
- Disconnect the angle grinder from the network;
- Make sure there is no smoke or other signs of fire.
A typical mistake that is made when cutting metal: if the diameter of the new circle is larger than the size of the protective cover, it is removed. The casing is a protection in case the disc breaks and shatters during the metal cutting process.
Instead of a disc, many put cutters, saws or other materials at hand. Doing this is strictly prohibited.
How to cut metal with an angle grinder
There is an opinion that the very concept of “angle grinder” has come into our use because for the first time this tool was brought from Bulgaria. This is partly true. But they developed and began to produce it in Germany. He first came to us from Bulgaria, where he began to be released in the seventies. Angle grinder is the correct name for the tool.
When working with an angle grinder, it is imperative to observe safety precautions, namely: wear glasses, gloves, a helmet and a protective apron.
The resulting sections can be grinded, polished, sharpened. A large selection of interchangeable attachments makes this tool irreplaceable and versatile.
At the same time, it is the most traumatic tool.
To cut metal, an angle grinder will need:
- Angle Grinder;
How to choose the right angle grinder
The angle grinder should fit comfortably in your hand.
The correct choice and quality of the angle grinder itself determines the quality of work and the safety of the worker.
When choosing a machine, you should focus on its main parameters: power and diameter of the cutting abrasive wheel. Its weight is also of no small importance, since it is often necessary to work “on weight”, and dimensions so that it is possible to perform work in inconvenient and hard-to-reach places.
Most buyers, when they see powerful grinders, are somewhat frightened that it is more difficult to cope with it than with a low-power one. This is a misconception. Low-power grinders are more likely to jam discs, i.E. They physically cannot “pull out” the disk under heavy loads. The situation how the disk and the machine itself will behave after reducing the load is unpredictable. The angle grinder will most likely tear out of your hands. The consequence of this will be a break in the disc, damage to the machine and injury to the cutter. Therefore, it is better for novice craftsmen to purchase an angle grinder for a 125 mm disc with a power of 800-1000 W and a spindle speed of 10,000 rpm. This power is sufficient for cutting iron.
For cutting metal, there are machines for a 115 mm disc powered by batteries, but, as practice shows, with their high cost in solving everyday problems, they do not justify themselves.
The handles of the angle grinder should be rubber or made of a material that will damp vibrations from the machine.
But none of the technical characteristics reflect the convenience and safety in work. The angle grinder should lie comfortably and securely in your hand so that when working with metal you focus on it, and not on how to hold the tool in your hands. It is desirable that the grips are rubber or vibration-damping material with finger recesses.
Low-powered grinders, as a rule, do not have an additional handle.
If you find any inconvenience when choosing, you should look for an angle grinder of a different model.
What you can do an angle grinder and where to start
Such a tool allows you to confidently cut, grind, clean and polish many well-known materials, such as concrete and tiles, metal and wood, brick and others. Wherein for each specific type of work required Availability special replaceable nozzle. In some cases, such a tool can be used for other purposes, such as cutting an angle glass grinder or sharpening cutting surfaces (knives, drills, etc.).
This power tool is indispensable in the process of construction or repair work. It is actively used in car repair shops, utilities, during rescue operations and in other areas of our life. In other words, the angle grinder is widely used in industry and in everyday life.
The very work of an angle grinder is a hazardous operation. Before you start it, it is important to prepare the instrument itself. In this case the choice of the nozzle plays a special role. It is important to consider the following points here:
- The diameter of the saw blade. The smaller its value, the greater the rotational speed, which means that it is able to withstand a greater number of revolutions;
- The working material directly affects the choice of consumables. For example, for metal pipes, an abrasive disc, and concrete. Diamond;
- Study the symbols and markings of such consumables carefully. This will allow you to understand if the given tip is suitable for the intended job.
Types of attachments for an angle grinder
Angle grinder discs are actively used in various operations and should vary for different materials. Over, each of them has unique properties and design. That is why it is so important to choose the right consumable for your angle grinder.
Depending on the purpose, they are:
- Detachable. For cutting or sawing materials;
- Saws. For cutting various wood products;
- Roughing. For grinding metal, concrete and wood blanks;
- Stripping. For removing rust from metal surfaces and removing other types of stubborn dirt.
Flap discs are among the most common types of wiper discs. Such tools are applicable for processing materials from metal, plastic and wood.
Attaching the accessory to the angle grinder
- Disconnect the tool from the mains and jam the rotation shaft with the attachment by means of a special button;
- The lock nut must be unscrewed. To do this, use a key with two tabs;
- Remove the old drive. After that, a new one can be installed on the mounting flange;
- Install and secure the lock nut with a wrench.
How to cut tiles, ceramics, granite, tiles
A feature of these materials is a large amount of dust and the possibility of chips during the cutting process. Here it is important to approach the preparatory process correctly. If it is impossible to avoid the formation of dust, then it is quite possible to reduce the risk of chips to a minimum.
To avoid chipping when cutting tiles, need to be soaked in water. This step in time lowers the temperature of the material, which is the main cause of destruction. It will also allow not only cutting the tiles without chips, but also cut out the necessary fragments. Tiles are cut approximately according to this principle.
There is also an alternative way. In this case, you will need to operate the stone cutting disc. Using such a circle practically eliminates the formation of cracks and chips.
Cutting porcelain stoneware is more difficult, as this material is thicker and stronger. The best solution in this case would be to use a stone circle:
- Make a contour cut along the contour line. Then again, until the not cut thickness of the product becomes less than the cut;
- Slide the product to the edge of the table;
- Break the porcelain stoneware tiles with a sharp but not violent movement.
Features angle grinder Dnipro-M
Angle grinders manufacturing Dnipro-M have increased security measures. By purchasing a branded angle grinder, you can be sure of their quality.
- Automatically triggers during long-term operation power button lock apparatus;
- Elimination of vibration from uneven wear of the disc due to its balancing;
- Auto engine shutdown with surges or voltage drops;
- Engine cooling function;
- Almost instantaneous shutdown of the angle grinder in case of jamming of the device;
- Dust removal system.
In addition, it will not be superfluous to highlight such features of the Dnipro-M grinders as: a rubberized handle, which is very conveniently located, additional engine protection by means of a triple varnish coating, as well as low weight and ergonomic design of each presented model.