How to properly saw down a wooden ceiling plinth
Ceiling markings for installing skirting boards
This method is used if the corners of your room are not straight, that is, not 90 degrees. In this case, cutting with a miter box or a stencil on the table will not give the desired results.
First you need to make a simple drawing. The plinth is applied to the corner and a line is drawn along its level on the ceiling. A similar operation is done on an adjacent wall.
Now, if you attach the plinth to the wall, then one of the lines will cross it (see photo). This point and the bottom corner of the plinth are on the cut line. Thus, the required cutting angle is obtained.
A similar drawing is made to form the outer corners. Only in this case, the upper part of the plinth will be protruding.
First of all, when calculating the desired direction for cutting, you need to remember one feature: unlike a conventional plinth, the ceiling plinth is installed on the base at a certain angle, usually 38-45 °, so it will be very problematic to accurately measure the “correct” 45 °.
Therefore, when cutting the ceiling plinth, it must be held in the position in which it will be installed on the surface.
The miter box is a device for cutting skirting boards at a certain angle.
We also need a hacksaw for wood with small teeth or, even better, a hacksaw for metal. However, when using hand saws, you need to be careful. there is always a risk of spoiling the material. If you are dealing with the most common types of ceiling skirting boards. foam, then a wallpaper knife with a new sharp blade will do.
The main task is to determine how the mowing line of the cut will pass on the abutting “left” and “right” parts of the skirting boards. If the angle is uneven or non-standard, you need to find its middle. there should be a docking line.
The plinth in the miter box must be positioned as it will be glued to the wall: hold the top (a) of the element, and press the lower edge (b) against the wall of the miter box.
So, first, you need to attach a straight fillet to the corner of the room and visually determine the cut line (if the angle in your room is even, that is, about 90 °).
Then we put it in the miter box and substitute it under the desired cut hole. The fillet must be placed in the miter box so that it lies at the angle at which it will be attached to the wall, that is, to the corner. Now all that remains is to saw off or cut with a knife.
If you use a hacksaw for metal, make light movements without pressing, this will lead to tears or chips (touches the plastic). To avoid confusion in the materials, place a mark on the inside of the ceiling molding with a marker or pencil. Please note that the cutting direction will be different for the outer and inner corner, therefore it is recommended to mark directly on the miter box: sign the holes for the “right” and “left” fillets of the outer and inner corners.
The drawing on the table imitates a miter box. However, instead of pressing the plinth to the side, as in the miter box, we set it along the mowing line. For convenience, you can attach a rectangular object to the mowing line to make a side.
If you could not get a miter box, you can try to make it yourself using available tools. In the end, you need to knock down two boards, because the main thing is to securely hold the baseboard in the corner when you cut it. And in order to make the cut evenly and correctly, we need a stencil.
It can be made from thick cardboard in such a way that it exactly repeats the angle between the walls. If the walls and ceiling are uneven, the angle is divided in half. there the cut line will pass. Place the corner you made from the planks on the stencil so that the edge of the corner is exactly above the stencil corner.
Now you need to insert the (“left”) fillet into it and carefully cut, focusing on the contours of the stencil. To cut “right” you need to rearrange the corner to the corresponding side. You can think of other devices to cut the correct angle for the ceiling plinth, using the same principle.
For cutting skirting boards made of hard materials (wood, plaster, polyurethane), a hacksaw is used for metal. Fine teeth allow for a smooth cut. But this does not mean that a hacksaw for wood with fine teeth will achieve the same results.
A sharp construction knife is used to cut the corners of the foam plinth. You cannot cut this material with a hacksaw.
Method “Oh! Lucky! ” We cut the plinth with a miter box
Before cutting the corner of the ceiling plinth, measure the corners of the room with a building corner, if they are straight, then you can cut the corners so that they fit tightly, without a gap, in the corner using a miter box.
A miter box for cutting a ceiling plinth is a simple carpentry device for cutting, consisting of a tray with a rim to hold the plank in one position, and with grooves that guide the blade of the cutting tool at the desired angle: 45, 60 and 90º.
In order not to get confused in the sides of the plank and there is no question of how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth, attach the plank at the installation site.
Mentally fix the position of the plinth, and without turning it over, install it on the miter box. The part that will be glued to the wall should rest against the side. If you applied the plinth on the left, then you need to cut from the left end, and, accordingly, vice versa.
Photo instruction on how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth, internal pairing
Important: To cut off the inner corner, the bar is applied to the far wall of the miter box. In order to cut off the outer corner, the plinth rests against the near side.
If the skirting board is made of polystyrene or loose polystyrene, then it is better to cut it off with a sharp knife, you can use a clerical one, more rigid materials: polyurethane, dense polystyrene, PVC, it is recommended to cut it with a hacksaw for metal with small teeth.
Cutting corners using a drawing on the table
But how to cut down a ceiling plinth if you don’t have a miter box in your arsenal? You can do it in a different way. To do this, we need a drawing on the table that will simulate a stencil with corners.
First, two mowing lines are drawn in parallel on the surface, the distance between which is equal to the inner part of the miter’s gutter, namely 8.5 cm. Now, using these lines, they make a square in which two diagonals are drawn. This gives us 45 degree guide angles.
Cutting the inner corner of the left skirting board
The subsequent operations do not differ from how we made the inner corner with a miter box. Only in this case, we press the plinth not to the side (which simply does not exist), but to the mowing line. To make it easier for you to level the plinth, attach a box to the mowing line.
This gives you a surface on which the skirting board can be supported. Do not forget that the skirting board should not lie directly on the line. This is why the box is used.
When cutting, the bottom of the skirting board will point away from you. For the outer corner, the upper corner of the profile will be protruding, and for the inner corner, the lower corner.
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth using parallel lines
Even if there is no corner of the curve, there is no miter box, and you don’t really want to do the mink, then in this case there is also an effective and reliable way to cut off the ceiling plinth. Place the plinth on the installation site, make a mark on the dimensions of the plank on the ceiling and wall. Do the same around the perimeter of the room, from all sides.
To correctly align the corners, transfer the dimensions of the plinth to the wall and ceiling, draw parallel mowing lines along the marks
Draw parallel mowing lines along the marks, in the corners they will intersect and form rectangles. The intersection on the ceiling is the upper cut mark, on the wall is the lower one. Again attach the plinth, and transfer the marks to it, connect the points with a straight line, this will be the cut angle.
Transfer the points of intersection of the lines to the plinth, connect them exactly along the mowing line, cut
How to cut the corners of a skirting board
As for the question of how to cut a corner in floor skirting boards, the methods of measuring, cutting and joining corner elements on the floor are no different from the installation of ceiling profiles. The only difference is that when cutting on a miter box, the side that will rest on the flooring should adjoin the side, and the leg that will be adjacent to the wall should lie on the base of the device.
Another difference between the installation and cutting of floor and ceiling skirting boards is the shape of the fillets.
So the ceiling molding often has an almost isosceles right triangle in the base cut, sometimes one of the legs is slightly smaller, but this difference is not significant. But the floor profiles, especially wide ones, on the contrary, have a small base leg resting on the floor and an elongated leg resting on the wall. The floor plinth on the lower leg, as a rule, is no more than 23 mm, and they differ greatly in height, from 25 to 300 mm, sometimes higher.
Cutting and sealing of the outer corner of the floor plinth is identical to the fitting of the ceiling fillets
Some stylish interiors require the installation of high profiles, and in such cases, cutting the inner corner in the traditional way is not relevant. To cut and join a high and narrow profile, saw the first plank at a right angle and fix it in place. Next, you need to cut off a piece of the plinth at a right angle.
The second plinth, which will dock perpendicular to the first, should be laid flat, then a prepared piece should be placed on the edge with its end, and carefully outline it along the contour. The resulting drawing must be cut out exactly along the mowing line, and then cleaned the butt end with sandpaper. The skirting board cut in this way will exactly follow the contours of the already fixed profile, and will fit tightly into place.
The way how to properly saw and join a high, but narrow plinth
What is miter box?
Cutting planks at an angle of 45g is done in a miter box
Corner pieces for ceiling plinths
Cutting ceiling strips when using corner elements (special connectors) is also usually done in a miter box. How to cut the planks in this case? It’s very simple. the cutting is done at right angles. If there is no tray, you can use a regular protractor or square. Corner elements (photo):
When using corner elements, the strips are cut at right angles.
What to do if there is no miter box?
Thus, we figured out how to cut down the ceiling plinth (the video above may help someone figure it out better) using a miter box. But what if this tool is not at hand? In fact, you can adjust the slats exactly without using it. There are two main ways to solve this problem: marking directly on the wall and making an imitation of a miter box.
In the first case, the procedure is as follows:
- The left strip is tightly pressed against the ceiling;
- With a pencil, a fishing line 1 is drawn directly on the ceiling along its upper edge;
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box. Making the first line
- Next, the right ceiling element is attached to the ceiling and a line 2 is drawn;
- A mark is placed at the intersection of the edge of the right plank with line 1;
The second line is drawn and a mark is put on the plinth
- Next, the left element is again attached to the ceiling;
- A mark is also placed at the intersection of its upper edge with line 2;
- Now on each strip you need to connect the marks with the end of the lower edge of the plinth;
Then, according to the resulting mowing line, the actual cutting of the plinth at an angle is performed.
Without the use of a tray, mounting the planks in the corner can be quite neat
In order to cut an even corner, you can also use an imitation of a miter box:
- Draw two strictly parallel mowing lines on a smooth plywood sheet;
- We put a point on one of them and, using a protractor, we connect it to the second line at an angle of exactly 45g (draw to the left);
- At a distance of 10 centimeters to the left of the first point, we put the second;
- We connect it with the second line at an angle of 45g (we draw to the right).
How to cut the corner of a ceiling plinth using an imitation miter box
The impromptu miter box is ready. Now it remains to attach the right ceiling element (wrong side) with the lower edge on the right to the mowing line closest to you and cut it off. The same with the left bar (only you need to apply it on the left).
Tip: You can cut the polystyrene strips with a knife. However, sharpen it properly. Otherwise, the material at the ends will simply crumble.
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box:
The first way is with a miter box
Professional miter box with a rotary hacksaw For a long time already carpenters have come up with such a special box with slots. a miter box. It is easy to recognize it, among the variety of repair equipment, by its characteristic appearance. This is the most convenient and irreplaceable device in solving the problem that has arisen, how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth.
How To Cut & Install Crown Moulding
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool, for cutting wood pieces at 90 and 45 degrees. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a rotary mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position. How to cut the ceiling plinth correctly Ceiling corners can be divided into internal and external, the method of joining them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a miter box with your own hands. To do this, you can use 3 scraps from plywood or boards of the same size. First, for this you need to attach them in the form of an inverted letter “P”, and make a marking of the corners. Then, according to the marking, slots are cut out for a hacksaw almost to the very bottom, and the boards are twisted.
Cut off outer corners with a miter box
- Place the skirting board against the corner and mark with a pencil where the outer corner starts on the skirting board.
- Then the skirting board is placed in the miter box. The side that will be attached to the ceiling is laid on the bottom of the miter box, and the other side is pressed against the wall. The mark on the plinth should be located near the left slot. Cut off one edge.
- Then, in the same way, we cut off the other half of the corner. Only the mark on the skirting board should be located near the right slot.
We attach both halves to the corner and check if there is a gap. If everything is in order, then you can glue the skirting board in place.
How to connect the planks if the corner is uneven
In city apartments, and especially in old ones, the walls are rarely even. Therefore, the angles between them are often not right at all. How to properly saw down the ceiling plinth in this case?
In fact, it is not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. You just need to measure the angle. To do this, you can use a special tool malku, or just make a template out of paper and use a protractor.
An uneven angle can be measured using a small goniometer.
Divide the resulting angle by two, draw the corresponding “miter box” on the plywood and cut the strips. Next, you just need to connect them with glue.
How to cut the corner of a skirting board evenly
When we evaluate a new renovation, we involuntarily turn our gaze, first of all, at the ceiling. No matter how mind-blowing the interior would be, its score from the curves of the joints of the finish will plummet. In this article we will tell you the instructions about the ceiling plinth. how to make the joint angle perfectly even.
Having completed the decoration of the walls and ceiling, ugly transitions between them will involuntarily remain. For this, fillets are used at the place of transition of two materials. When installing them, it is important to maintain the evenness and accuracy of the joints. Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
Pros and cons of wooden skirting boards
Products made from natural materials outperform artificial ones in many respects:
- environmental friendliness is not only the harmlessness of wood, but also the ability to saturate the air of the room with healthy aromatic resins, which are released from freshly made skirting boards for another 5-10 years after installation;
- the aesthetics of fillets, thanks to the unique texture and shades of various types of wood, remains unsurpassed, despite the variety of modern finishing materials;
- strength, practicality and long service life;
- special atmosphere and coziness in the room with wooden decor elements;
- a large selection of products;
- installation does not require special knowledge and skills and is done without problems with your own hands if you have the appropriate tools;
- excellent adhesion to paints and varnishes, the ability to repeatedly update the appearance of the finish using paintwork materials.
Along with the listed advantages, wood cornices have disadvantages:
- they are very sensitive to humidity, in rooms where this figure exceeds 70%, installation is undesirable, even if varnished or painted skirting boards:
- firstly, damp wood is prone to deformation when dry;
- secondly, there is a high probability of destruction due to the defeat of fungal diseases;
- thirdly, the aesthetic appearance of wooden friezes is quickly lost, they darken, whitish or dirty stains may appear, which are almost impossible to eliminate.
IMPORTANT: treatment with an antiseptic increases the resistance of wood to mold and mildew, but does not protect against exposure to humid air.
- certain technical difficulties during installation. it is not easy to join the ceiling fragments in the corners, one cannot do without a miter box, a sharp hacksaw and accuracy;
- the high cost of wooden skirting boards, especially decorative ones, made from an array of valuable species;
- the need for careful alignment of walls and ceilings. this is due to the high rigidity of the wood, since the fastening of fillets in uneven places weakens over time, which leads to the appearance of cracks;
- heavy baguettes made of oak, beech and other dense species are inconvenient to fasten without an assistant, and the requirements for the reliability of installation of such products are increased;
- low resistance to high temperatures, flammability of the material, the need for additional treatment with protective compounds (fire retardants).
Despite the disadvantages, with the right approach to business, wood can be used in interior design. Beautiful, durable and healthy wood ceiling skirting boards never lose their appeal.
Various methods and materials
Currently, skirting boards from various materials are presented on the construction market. wood, fiberboard, plastic.
Wooden skirting boards are considered traditional. They have been used for a long time for plank flooring, parquet and laminate flooring. They are distinguished by a raised outer surface, in many models there are special cable channels. Installation is carried out using self-tapping screws, nails or glue for fixing to the floor. When installing on self-tapping screws, preliminary drilling of holes and dowels is required.
perfect inside miter joint hack. baseboard molding install
Products are distinguished by a long service life, environmental friendliness and safety. Can be reapplied.
The disadvantages of the profile include the need for mandatory painting with varnish or paint, puttying. Wood is an expensive material, which affects the cost of the final product. Special tools are required to trim corners here.
Wooden skirting board
Plastic skirting boards are distinguished by their simplicity and convenience. They have a clever design with cable grooves. There are corners and plugs for forming corners, hiding joints. They are quick to install and come in a variety of shades. They do not require painting and putty, they are in good harmony with any coating.
Plastic skirting board
Fiberboard skirting boards have an attractive appearance, are protected from dust and dirt, and do not fade. It does not require special maintenance and is easy to install. When trimming the edge of such a plinth, remember about its fragility, carry out the work carefully.
Fiberboard skirting board
Skirting boards from any material are available in a variety of colors. Therefore, it will not cause complications to choose it for your interior. Often the color of the profile is matched to the shade of the floor or platbands.
Trimming the edge of skirting boards from different materials is not particularly different. The only difference is density and density. Therefore, it is more difficult to work with a tree.
Necessary tools for work:
- The miter box is a special tray consisting of three surfaces. Its sides contain special slots located at certain angles to the axis. They guide the hacksaw blade at the desired angle when cutting.
- Pencil, washable marker, construction tape.
- Knife, hacksaw for wood or metal, jigsaw. Plastic skirting boards can be cut with an ordinary sharp knife or a metal hacksaw.
- Fasteners, screws, nails, dowels.
- Hammer, electric screwdriver.
- Sealant, putty.
Before starting work, you first need to calculate the required number of skirting boards. For this purpose, the standard length of the product (2.5 or 3.5 meters) is multiplied by the perimeter of the room. For installation, you will also need fasteners and docking elements, corners, plugs.
How to properly saw down a wooden plinth
Some rooms have original, atypical configurations. In such situations, it is quite difficult to beautifully install a skirting board. After all, the corners are often external and internal at the same time. There are also rounded options. All of the above techniques do not work here.
If there is a round corner, the plinth strip is cut into several (usually 4-5) sections. With the use of plugs, a neat corner is laid out from the parts. The plinth is fixed with liquid nails.
Custom inner corner
If the corners of the ceiling or floor are internal or external, then the following manipulations are carried out:
- The profile is applied to the wall, and all its edges are drawn on the floor.
- Then another part is put, the points of intersection with the marked border, as well as with the wall are marked.
- The received marks are connected, sawing is done.
The joints are closed with plugs, and in the case of wooden skirting boards, they are putty. Then the surface is sanded.
The procedure for cutting corners for a ceiling or floor requires the preparation of the necessary tools (depending on the material). Work requires care and endurance.
Custom outside corner
How to properly attach a wooden ceiling plinth
Currently, wooden skirting boards are rarely used for finishing ceilings in an apartment, mainly such products can be found in baths and saunas. Due to the low cost, people often prefer artificial materials. But when the walls or other elements of the apartment interior are made of wood, it is bad taste to use synthetics for finishing the ceiling, from the point of view of design.
Cutting “inner” corners
A standard room is rectangular with 90º angles. In fact, such perfect angles are quite rare and are only a repairman’s dream. If you are lucky, then the procedure for cutting the corner of the edge of the skirting board is as follows:
- The bar fits into the miter box.
- A hacksaw is used to cut through a slot with a mark of 45 º.
- The edge is cleaned with sandpaper.
When cutting, you need to remember which side the plinth will be located on. You can use a putty to create the perfect corner for wood surfaces or a joint.
Cutting an inner corner
To form an internal angle not equal to 90 º, you need to do the following manipulations:
- It is necessary to make preliminary markings on the floor with a pencil. On both sides, profiles are alternately applied and their boundaries are outlined. Thus, a rhombus is formed in the corner. Its diagonal will be the cut line.
- We apply the bar to the resulting figure and put a diagonal mark.
- We connect the mark and the corner of the baseboard. This angle of inclination will be the cutting line.
- The resulting side face can be processed.
Cutting off the inner corner with a slight exaggeration will allow for the most accurate fit. At the final stage, a plug is inserted into the joint and a beautiful, neat corner is obtained. In wooden products, joints are putty and prepared for subsequent painting.
Which wood to choose
The main criteria here are: the cost of the material, the resistance of products to high humidity and compliance with the interior. Consider the properties of the most popular types of wood used in apartment design:
- Pine. Due to its low price, ease of processing and installation, it is considered a leader in the production of skirting boards and fillets. The light surface of the products and the texture suitable for painting allow you to give it any shade in accordance with the design decision. True, the presence of resin passages and low resistance to moisture somewhat narrow the area of application of the pine massif.
- Spruce. Not often used for making baguettes due to its increased rigidity, although it is more resistant to dampness.
- Larch. Unlike conifers, it is not afraid of high humidity and does not rot. Larch skirting boards are indispensable for kitchens and bathrooms. But such products are much more expensive than pine.
- Oak. Ranks first in strength, wear resistance and durability among hardwoods. True, it will be somewhat more difficult to securely fix it to the ceiling due to its heavy weight. In interior design, this material is considered elite. There are products from bleached, artificially aged and bog oak.
- Beech. Beech skirting boards have a smooth and even texture in light pink tones. The mechanical properties and performance characteristics of such moldings also allow them to be classified as elite materials.
- Nut. It is used for finishing curved joints of walls and ceilings. The elasticity of this wood allows the production of bent fillets. Due to its beautiful texture and brown shades, this breed is often used in rich interiors. In addition, not all wooden skirting boards can boast of high m iodine and healing properties.
- Ash. Also used to make curved strips. It is similar in texture to oak, but differs in olive shades of light range.
- An array of alder. Inexpensive material, easy to process, has a smooth uniform texture and pleasant yellow-orange shades. True, it is completely unstable to moisture, rotting is possible even from slight dampness.
- Linden and aspen. Unlike alder, they are quite moisture resistant and have good flexibility. Relatively inexpensive. Often used for finishing baths and similar premises.
- Wenge wood. Very expensive, but due to its high resistance to decay, beautiful color and pronounced texture, it is very popular with designers. Unlike other breeds, it is difficult to polish and is not at all suitable for varnishing. Waxing is recommended to give this material a glossy finish.
Modern woodworking machines allow you to make skirting boards from any type of wood. However, not all of them are suitable for specific operating conditions. It is necessary to choose a ceiling plinth made of wood, taking into account the properties listed above and personal preferences.