How To Put A Disk On A Lawn Mower
Every November-December there comes a “tinsmith’s day”, as the people dubbed it: as soon as the surface twitches with the first snow, a solid traffic jam accumulates near all the vulcanizations of the city from those who want to change wheels. Craftsmen can try their hand and, armed with a jack and adjustable wrench, replace the wheel in the yard. But replacing the rubber on the discs, at first glance, is far from everyone’s strength. Situations on the roads are different and every driver, sooner or later, has a need to put the tire on the disk himself. On how to do it yourself, and will be discussed in our review.
Changing tires at home is not as scary as it might seem at first glance. From the whole variety of stamped, cast or forged wheels, it is enough for a motorist to decide on a suitable option. When buying, you need to pay attention to the parameters of the disks, because a small discrepancy can be too expensive (size in inches, offset, diameter under the hub, the number of holes for mounting and the radius of their location).
If you still decide to try replacing the rubber on the wheels yourself, you will need the following wheels and tires:
- One or two mounts (about 30 cm);
- A sponge moistened and smeared with soap.
If you bought a tubeless tire, be prepared for certain difficulties: it is more difficult to fix it on a disk than a camera one. But when the main part of the work is behind, it will be enough to pump it up with a conventional pump or compressor.
The process of pulling rubber is not too tedious. Cover some material and place the disc on the back side. Moisten with soapy water the surfaces of the disc and rubber that will come into contact. Do not use greases that remain on the surface. There is still a chance that the tire will spin when braking abruptly.
Then, put the tire on top of the greased disk, and, evenly pressing with your feet, put most of the cord on the rim. But in this way, only part of the tire can be put on, then you will have to use the mount and the hammer: you need to insert the mount between the rubber and the disk, and then with the hammer blows on the mount you need to try to bring it closer to the break point of the rubber. If you can get closer to this point closer than three centimeters, you can stretch the rubber. These steps are worth repeating until one cord is pulled over the rim. The main thing is to act with small intense movements, otherwise you can damage the disk itself.
The final stage
Replacing the rubber as a whole will take about two hours, but the main difficulty is to make sure that air does not seep through the targets between the rim and the tire cord.
And there are two ways to fix the problem:
1. Inflate one tire with twice the pressure and use the tire instead of the compressor. But, of course, this can be done only if you have an “extra wheel”. When the possibilities do not allow such a “roam”, you have to look for alternative options.
2. Pour some fuel inside the tire and then set it on fire. Thanks to the pairs that explode in the tire, it will inflate, and it will “sit” on the rim in the right way. There are a lot of opinions about the required amount of gasoline or other flammable liquid (for example, carbcliner).
Liquid (literally quite a bit) must be introduced through the gap between the rubber and the rim, and then set on fire. The wheel jumps, slams and the tire “sits” in place. After that, inflate the wheel to the desired pressure, and you can begin to operate.
With the advent of summer, many owners of household plots are concerned about the issue of how to put a knife on a trimmer. No less relevant are the questions of why and when it is advisable to replace the fishing line on the lawn mow with a more durable cutting element. In our article we will try to make out all this and give useful recommendations to summer residents.
- Why you need to put a knife on a trimmer
- What knives to put on the electric and lawn mowers
- How to put the knife on the trimmer
Why you need to put a knife on a trimmer
The trimmer with a knife mounted on it is most convenient to use for more comfortable mowing of tall and coarsened grass in the country. The line on the lawn mowing in such cases can not cope. Thin breaks very quickly. Using a thick 2.3 mm cord or homemade rods with cables causes the vegetation to wind up on the spool. This increases the load on the engine. As a result, the piston group and other moving parts of the unit wear out very quickly.
If the mowing of the weeds is carried out with an electric trimmer without a knife, only fishing line, even if it is thick with a curly section, the problem cannot be solved. There is always a risk of overheating the motor and damage the flexible shaft. And it’s all about the big torque of the electric motor. The grass wound on the spindle creates strong resistance to the shaft, resembling a speedometer cable, which does not withstand and twists.
In order to protect the equipment from premature wear, manufacturers have provided the ability to install special knives on trimmers. The design and shape of existing cutting elements makes it easy to cope not only with coarsened and overgrown grass, but also successfully deal with young shrubbery.
What knives to put on the electric and lawn mowers
Before buying and putting a knife on a lawn mow, we will find out what they are and in which cases they are used. Today, manufacturers offer consumers a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools designed for mowing grass can be classified:
- By the type of material from which it is made;
- In the shape of its cutting blades.
The main material for making trimmer knives can be plastic or metal. The use of such consumables is largely dependent on two parameters:
- Type of lawn mowers;
- Square mowing.
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend placing steel knives on electric trimmers. Almost all lawn mowers powered by mains and battery are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they can be of a single disc-shaped design with several blades or in the form of a special mowing head for the installation of removable plastic blades.
Straight bar at gas trimmer and curved at electric
To put a metal knife on an electric trimmer does not allow its design features.
- The curved rod of the unit reduces the distance from its working part to the legs of the mower. If the blades collide with a stone or other solid object, the braid is thrown to the feet.
- The high torque that we mentioned above, in the event of a collision of a metal knife with a solid object, transfers a large load to the flexible shaft of the trimmer and its motor. What causes their premature failure.
- The handle of an electric braid most often does not have a restrictive bar acting as a stop. Which does not exclude injury to the legs.
It is these features that allow the use of exclusively plastic knives on trimmers with electric motors. In a collision with an obstacle, the blades are destroyed, thereby protecting the legs of the mower from possible injuries.
The use of metal knives only on gas trimmers is also due to design features.
- The direct design of the bar increases the distance to the legs, which ensures complete safety.
- Convenient U-shaped and J-shaped handles allow to hold the tool firmly. D-shaped lawn mowing arms are equipped with a limiter resting on the leg of the pigtail, which does not allow the head to be allowed to close when the cutting disc meets a solid obstacle.
- The clutch of the gasoline engine allows you to smoothly gain speed to the optimum level. And when the blade collides with a hard surface, it can absorb part of the impact.
Thus, gas trimmers with an installed metal knife are best used in large areas. They will successfully cope not only with tall coarse grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also shrubs, as well as young trees.
The shape of the blade blades placed on the trimmer does not affect the quality of the work performed. Speed does not depend on them either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular shapes are all the marketing ploy of manufacturers.
How to put the knife on the trimmer
Putting a knife on the trimmer is not so difficult. The manufacturer supplies his tools with a special pin that allows you to lock the gearbox and a key with which you can unscrew the spool with fishing line. The most important thing to observe when changing the cutting elements is the safety precautions and the assembly sequence of disassembly.
The algorithm for installing the knife on the trimmer is as follows:
- Remove the protective cover;
- We block the drive. To do this, combine two holes. In the shaft hub and in the gear cup. After combining them, insert the pin into the holes;
- We turn off the spool with fishing line or the fastening nut holding the boot (clockwise, if the trimmer has not been used) clockwise from the hub;
- Next, install the cutting knife, so that the slots on the hub washer coincide with the recesses in the hole of the cutting disc;
- Install the boot;
- We twist the fastening nut (counterclockwise) while holding the locking pin;
- Tighten it using a pipe wrench;
- Return the protective cover to its place.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely proceed to mow the weeds on the site.