How to put a spool on a grass trimmer. How to install a reel on a grass trimmer?
Repair the grass trimmer spool with their own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the fishing line for the trimmer, assemble and install back
If the trimmer line does not extend with a light tap of the grass trimmer spool button on the ground, the prerequisites are usually.
Option 1. overbite, t.Е. Clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user winds the fishing line for the trimmer on the spool unevenly, crossing the windings or winding it without tension. In the latter case, when the mower rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which intervital clamping of the mowing line can occur. To remove the obstacle, you need to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and properly rewind the cord, in other words, even spinning with good tension.
Option 2.4. very short ends sticking out of the head. When hitting the ground, the rod may not fall out if the ends protruding from the head are not long enough (short). Then there is not enough centrifugal force to stretch the line for the trimmer. Therefore, it is necessary to suspend the machine (in other words, turn off the engine, unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull out the trimmer line manually, first pressing the button.
Option 3. trimmer line is sealed inside the mower. This causes the reel to stop and not even rotate when the button is pressed. This is mainly due to several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating of the reel during prolonged operation of the machine and the impact of the mower line on solid objects.
- First, the third-party cord that you like is made of low-quality and fusible materials that cannot withstand mechanical and thermal stresses. Therefore it is necessary to give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- If you have a line for a trimmer of unknown owner, and it often solders during work, then, of course, follow the example of some users, who, after filling the cord in the spool, wet it or silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the coils of mowing line.
- The line for the trimmer can also be soldered if it hits a hard object while mowing (stone, fence, dry branch, etc. Д.). During this time, it stretches a little and with great speed pulls to the head. The cord gets hot from friction and its spools stick together. The only thing that will be done to fix this problem is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the trimmer line.
There are situations when the user of the grass trimmer notices a very fast consumption of the line. Here he never pressed the button with the button to extend the trimmer line. Mandatory condition for spontaneous extension of the line by cutting a special knife on the body of the machine. the lack of spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line for the trimmer into the reel, forget to install the compressed spring in the head, in other words, completely lose it when opening the cover, and then they do not even know about its existence.
The trimmer line also expands without using the button if the spring is loose. If the spring check confirmed this fact, you need to put some washers under it to increase the pressing characteristics.
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, are confused, next to panic when the reel has to change the cutting tool or line for the trimmer. Often when trying to unscrew the mower head, users simply make it unusable, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction To prevent this, if you need to change the tool, we recommend that you join the step-by-step annotation below.
- Before pouring the rod into the spool, turn off the motor trimmer, as it is also called, de-energize the electric grass trimmer, to avoid injuries arising from accidental rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attached transmission shaft nozzle. To do this, you need to secure the shaft by aligning the holes on the washer and inserting an iron bar or screwdriver there.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the threads on the shaft are still. So turn the grass trimmer spool to the right, in other words, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. In most cases the main cover is attached at the clips. To remove it, you will need to lower these clips onto the body by squeezing the edges of the cover. If there is a passage, if your grass trimmer has an automatic mower with a button at the bottom, then disassemble the nozzle should be done carefully, as there is a chance of losing the spring, which sometimes flies out when you remove the cover. ,
- Cut the necessary amount of fishing line. It is usually about 5 meters long. Use cord of the same diameter as listed in the tool note. It is not advisable to exceed the largest diameter of the mowing line, as this will increase the load on the motor and increase the gas mileage.
- Find the middle of a piece of cord by folding it in half. You will obtain a loop.
- Reels have special grooves cut inside (there are holes). Insert the line loop into this groove.
- Wind the trimmer line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. The cord must be filled very evenly, the coils should not overlap and with good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave about 20cm of free line, and fasten the ends in the slots on the sides of the coil.
- Assemble the mowing head. Remember to fully assemble the nozzle spring and washer (if available). Insert the reel into the housing and run the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and fasten it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the trimmer shaft, also secured with a screwdriver. Turn the grass trimmer spool to the left (counterclockwise).
Types of trimmer heads
Grass cutter head is a cylindrical body, in which is inserted a spool (bobbin) with a thread (cord) filled in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way the filament is threaded or fed and are of three different types.
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if you do a lot of work, but such bobbins have one disadvantage. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. No complicated operations are required from the user when using this type of head. The way they work is that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for the trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to the right length by the knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you need to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also note that grass trimmer reels for grass trimmers can be single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and extract the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool, it must be removed from there. The reel or tip is the device that is inside the mowing head, reel or drum. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. First of all let’s see how to take the mowing head off the tool and how to get the filament drum out of the mowing head.
This is interesting!You can replace the rigging directly on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to take off the head, and learn the detailed process of winding. After the technology is mastered, it is possible to perform replacement work on the trimmer brushcutter or gasoline mower. The instructions on how to unwind the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it of dirt. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After gently pressing them in, remove the protective cover from the drum
This process is not difficult and, as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the whole head if you know how to perform the replacement. Consider such nuances when disassembling:
- It is advisable to periodically remove the head to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it can be difficult or, in some cases, impossible to remove it
- If a screw has a four-sided head, then a screwdriver or bit of the appropriate size should be selected for unscrewing in order to prevent the facets on the head from sticking out
- When reassembling the system, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have slipped off, special tongs could be used to unscrew it
- There are drums, which do not require prior disassembly. To remove it, grasp it and rotate it clockwise in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Once you know how to disassemble the reel, you should go on to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer’s fishing line. The video below shows a detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer reel
Filling the line into the tool spool, at first glance, is not a simple matter. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
To find out how to thread fishing line into your grass trimmer, it’s worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the reels of different types of trimmers, so they are applicable to any tool.
- The filament spool is the lower extremity of the grass trimmer. First and foremost, of course, it is necessary to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft), on which the spool is attached. It must be fixed so that it does not rotate. Make it the easiest way, placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of stupor (preferably metal). When the shaft is fixed, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage, it is necessary to remove the bobbin from the head, which is attached to the line for the trimmer. To do this, the bobbin head will need to be disassembled into its component parts. To do this, you must first find a lock on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When the bobbin retainer is found, press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the spool cap clockwise. Then remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- Between the bobbin and the head is a tight spring. Set it aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the stage of winding the fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there is any old fishing line left on the cap, remove it. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can begin preparing a new skein.
- From a pre-prepared skein of new fishing line it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. The bobbin must be within easy reach.
At this point, actually begins a key stage, which is devoted to this article.
The first method of winding the line
The right amount of line is cut. It is now necessary to carefully inspect the bobbin to see what type it belongs to. This depends on how it is to wind the line for the trimmer.
Bobbins come in two types. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the bobbin is divided into two compartments. upper and lower. The first type has a separating edge does not close into a ring and has a recess.
In the second type it is solid, but next to it on both sides are small through holes. The method of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the bobbin belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter section should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the bending place should be inserted into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half should be at the bottom.
- Now you can directly start winding. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, hold the thread so that it is not intertwined and the upper half is winded to the top of the bobbin and the lower half to the bottom. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- At the top edge of the bobbin there are small notches (or, in other words, grooves) to secure the consumable material. Insert the ends of the thread into these slots so that they lock against each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material into the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin should be put through the appropriate holes in the head of the trimmer for grass.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into one piece. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended to pull the loose ends of the thread out more. To do this, take turns pulling the ends of the consumables so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. Check that the cutting element is removed from the thread restraints by pulling the threads out so that they can exit through the head slots without obstruction.
- Press the bobbin down and put the cover on top of the bobbin. Cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their housings align and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- Lastly, the last step is to screw the head back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. the line for the trimmer is tucked into the spool. The grass trimmer is ready for further work.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared piece of six meters long, you need to bend exactly in the middle and cut it. This produces two pieces of equal length.
- At one end of each segment you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and briefly fix it so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then take a single length. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now we can proceed to the key step. the winding. An arrow on the bobbin indicates the direction to wind. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the top of the spool. Do not wind the thread to the end. about fifteen centimeters should be left free from the end.
- There are small notches (also called grooves) in the top edge of the spool to hold the consumables in place. The free “tail” of the thread should be inserted into one of these notches.
- The upper part of the spool is tucked in. Now it is necessary to do the same procedure with the bottom section. The second piece of thread is taken. “Hook” is inserted into the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And this piece should also be left free about fifteen centimeters from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted in the notch opposite to the one in which the end of the first segment is inserted.
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many trimmer users wonder what can replace the default cord used in this kind of machine? Begin unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wire, metal ropes or strings, and ordinary fishing line for the trimmer into the mowing head.
Read also: The running screw of a lathe
If a metal wire is installed instead of a fishing line, the grass trimmer turns into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. The reason for this is that during the operation of the machine the steel wire will gradually unravel and the fine pieces of wire will fly in all directions at high speed.
A similar thing can happen with steel or copper wire, only difference is that the pieces that break off will be bigger and can cause serious injury.
And if you accidentally snag your own or someone else’s foot while working with a steel wire rope machine, a strong and deep cut of tissue, and in some cases amputation of toes is assured to you. The manufacturer does not use nylon for this purpose for nothing, as it is light and strong enough, and if it flies away, it cannot cause injury.
Use fishing line for trimmer in the trimmer instead of the standard one, of course, you can, but this will add extra hassle, as it quickly wears out, tears, mows slowly and for cutting tough grass is not suitable. In addition, a lot of time is lost in carrying out work to replace a broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of an ordinary fishing line is justified if the user is going to mow grass near a fence, especially if it is made of Rabitz chain-link. In such a case, in order to save the standard, and sometimes expensive cord from wear and tear, it is replaced by a fishing line for the trimmer, which is not sorry. Usually, in order to change the cord on the fishing line for the trimmer, it is necessary to pick up the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
The solution to possible problems with the fishing line
Most line problems are similar for different trimmers and are solved in a similar way.
- there are hard objects in the cuttings: branches, stones, etc.д., contact with which breaks the string;
- mowing the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, the line for the trimmer breaks even faster;
- Low-quality cords.replacement with a reliable new consumable is necessary
- the output holes in the mowing head are worn out, as a result, the line for the trimmer breaks from rubbing against the sharp edges of the bushes. you need to replace the part with a new one.
High line consumption
You’ll run out of trimmer line very quickly if you’re constantly banging the semiautomatic spool on the ground or pressing hard against the surface. In this case, the line head is unlocked, the line is lengthened, and the knife cuts the line. The second variant of fast line consumption is that the grass trimmer with automatic reel is not used correctly. If the mower operator lowers the engine speed regularly, the line is constantly lengthened and cut and ends up being quickly consumed.
The line does not hold
If the coil of the semi-automatic type loosens the spring, the line for the trimmer does not hold and unwinds during operation. The cord extends and is cut by the knife, as a result, the owner of the equipment notices that the thread quickly runs out.
Tip! To check the tool, you need to remove the protective cover and run the engine. if the line for the trimmer is extending, it means that the spring needs to be replaced with a new one.
trimmer line flies out
If the line comes out when mowing, it is another indication that the spring in the bobbin has come loose or has been lost due to careless disassembly of the head. As a result, the cord does not hold and pops out when you rotate it.
The string does not extend
Automatic and semi-automatic spools feed the cord without stopping the grass trimmer. If this does not happen, then:
- the trimmer line is not wound correctly in the head so the spool does not spin;
- Winding a fishing line is done unevenly, so the cord gets stuck between the coils and does not come out. to avoid this happening, winding thread should be carefully, avoiding distortions, turn the coil to turn;
- the ends of the cord coming out of the holes are very short, the centrifugal force is not enough to extract them, so the line for the trimmer does not feed. before turning on the grass trimmer, it is important to necessarily adjust the length of the thread and lengthen it a little, if necessary;
- Cord stuck.
The spool does not spin
Reasons for no reel spinning are similar to no line feed. These are improper or uneven string winding, string sticking, and short ends of the cord coming out of the holes.
the trimmer line is sticking to itself
If your trimmer line is sticking together when working, the main reason is that you have installed a low-quality filament. During operation, the spool heats up, and poor-quality string melts and glues. The second reason is a collision between the filament and a hard object. This causes it to brake sharply, and the string is drawn into the head and stuck.
Tip! To avoid problems, you can apply mineral oil to the surface of the line or, after winding it on the head, spray it with silicone. A better solution would be to buy a good quality mowing head, which will allow you to forget about such problems.
So, replacing the line for the trimmer on the trimmer is not difficult, if you know how to disassemble the spool and perform the winding of the cord. The process is similar across many brands of machines. A detailed description can be found in the instruction manual of the tool or watch the video.
Defects and troubleshooting by yourself
Naturally, the owners of trimmers encounter those or other faults of the mowing heads in the process of operation. Most often this is due to some problem in pulling (lengthening) the cutting filament out of the reel. The most common causes of no line feed are line “jamming” between coils or sticking.
No wire feed
In this case, the cause of the defect is the incorrect winding of the cutting cord. the line for the trimmer may be wound with insufficient tension, which contributes to crossing the coils with each other and entangling the string. As the spool rotates, the cutting cord is pulled in by the resulting centrifugal force, which in turn causes the free end of the fishing line to be caught between the coils. To remedy this fault, you must remove the spool, disassemble it and rewind the line so that the lines are evenly spaced and pressed together firmly.
If the line is stuck
The line may stick together directly in the mowing head:
Tip! To prevent the cord from sticking inside the mowing head, experts recommend applying a thin layer of silicone grease to the surface of the line after the string has been inserted in the spool. Also, it is best not to use lines for trimmers from manufacturers you do not know.
If the user still could not avoid the adhesion of the fishing line, then to repair the grass trimmer reel should be removed and replace the existing cord with a higher quality.
If the string flow is too high
When using semi-automatic mowing heads the user may detect an increased flow of the cutting line because of spontaneous elongation. This is usually due to a loosening of the spring inside the reel. It is possible to remedy the fault by putting some washers under the spring.
How to Replace the Spool on a Weed Eater SG11 String Trimmer (Part # 952701663)
If the bobbin does not spin
Failure of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel may also be caused by frequent collisions between its head and hard objects (dry branches, soil, stones, etc.).). In this situation the line is slightly stretched and then rapidly retracted inside the reel. Strong friction causes the filament to heat up, which may cause the coils to stick together. To correct the defect the string will need to be rewound.
If the line feeds spontaneously
Spontaneous lengthening of fishing line with subsequent cutting of its ends can be caused by violation of the order of assembly of the head after replacing the cutting filament. Often inexperienced users forget to install the pressure spring inside the head, causing the line feed mechanism to trip prematurely.
Disassembling the cutting head
Proceeding to repair the head of the trimmer for grass, the owner must protect himself from injury if the engine is accidentally started, for which it is imperative to completely disconnect the electric garden tool or to shut down the engine of brushcuts. often than not the grass trimmer owner is faced with the need to replace the cutting filament. This process begins after the head has been removed from the shaft. This must be done carefully to avoid damaging it.
Important! Gear shaft, which the grass trimmer is equipped with, has a left-hand thread on the end, so the mowing head is unscrewed clockwise when removing.
Dismantle the spool in the following order:
- After aligning the holes on the axle and the washer, fix the mower shaft firmly using a screwdriver or a metal bar;
- unscrew the actuator by turning its housing in a clockwise direction.
How to Load Trimmer Line on to a Bosch Grass Trimmer
Having removed the mowing head, proceed to its disassembly, for which you need to carefully open the cover, which is often fastened by specially provided plastic locks. To do this press the edge of the cover and at the same time push in the body of the latch.
Attention! If the grass trimmer is equipped with a semi-automatic mowing head with a button at the bottom, you need to open it with special care. when you remove the cover may fly out and lose the clamping spring.
Charging the line into the bobbin
To charge the line for the trimmer correctly, you must act according to the instruction manual supplied with the trimmer. As a rule this is done in the following way
- Cut the right amount of cord and fold it in half;
- the resulting loop is inserted into one of the specially provided slots (holes) of the bobbin;
- pulling the line for the trimmer, several times turn the bobbin counterclockwise, with the coils of cord should be stacked tightly (one to the other), without overlapping;
- having finished winding, leave the ends of the line free (about 20 cm), which are fixed in the grooves available on the sides of the bobbin;
- Assemble the mechanism in its place, for which it must be assembled in reverse order, returning all the existing parts (spring, washers, etc.) to their original position.), and install the spool with the string in the spool head body;
- the loose ends of the cord are passed through the available eyelets (holes), and then the body is closed with a cover, which is secured with latches.
This is the end of mowing the mowing head with cord. The reel is screwed on the shaft of the grass trimmer, preliminarily fixing it rigidly. How to do this is described above. You can check if the reel is working properly by mowing a small patch of lawn.
Advice! In cases where the owner of the grass trimmer prefers to replace the failed head with a new one, experts recommend avoiding the purchase of cheap non-original reels, brought from China.
The importance of proper winding
In order for fishing to be successful, it is necessary to prepare for it thoroughly. Otherwise the worst can “happen”. the weather is fine, the bite is great, but the tackle constantly fails and prevents to take advantage of favorable fishing conditions.
To prevent this from happening, it is necessary to set up all fishing equipment in advance. One of the most important stages of preparation for fishing is the correct winding of the line on the bobbin of the fishing reel. Failure to follow the basic rules threatens the poor angler with tangles and breaks in the line, and fishing instead of pleasure will be an ordeal for the nervous system.
The quality of such work depends on the range of throwing. Proper reeling ensures that the bait is thrown at a distance that best matches the specifications of the reel.
Quality reeling also prolongs line life by reducing mechanical friction and risks of “beards” when casting, which often require trimming trimmer line. Therefore, before you begin, it is necessary to consider a few tips from experienced fishermen on how to lay the line on the bobbin. This is a fairly simple procedure that even a beginner can cope with.
How to remove the spool and change the line for the trimmer
Owners of trimmers, mainly beginners, get very confused and panic-stricken when they need to change a cutting tool or line in a spool. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head users simply cause it to fail, not realizing that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if a tool change is necessary, we recommend that you read the step by step instructions below.
- Before tucking the trimmer line into the reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that may occur if you accidentally start the cutting tool rotating.
- Unscrew the brush head mounted on the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and axle and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver.