How to put the chain on STIHL correctly
Is it possible to shorten the chain yourself
In the case when the chainsaw chain has stretched so much that it is no longer tensioned, it becomes necessary to reduce its length.
This also has to be done if the available bar is shorter than the chain, and it is not possible to choose a suitable sawing element.
Chainsaw functions and device
In order to understand the features of the procedure under consideration, the chainsaw device should also be considered in detail. Among the features, the following points can be noted:
- The main part is represented by the engine. In most cases, the installation of a structure with one cylinder is carried out, since this is quite enough for cutting.
- The piston system is two-stroke, and the cooling is air. During operation, a relatively small amount of thermal energy is released, therefore, there is enough airflow to remove heat.
- As in many other designs, this one requires oil, which ensures the smooth running of the moving element. The oil is added directly to the fuel. Depending on the design, oil and fuel are mixed in the range of 1:20 or 1:50.
- The air filter can also be called an important structural element. Fuel is mixed with air to produce a specific mixture that is fed into the combustion chamber. If you do not constantly clean the filter element, then there is a possibility that debris will fall into the cylinder block. This will cause rapid wear or even jamming of the device.
- A special design is presented as a starter, which is driven by a rope with a handle. If the rope is pulled strongly, then the flywheel is set in motion.
- The main working mechanism is represented by a splint with a fastener. It is designed to guide the chain and secure it.
- The classic chain consists of three teeth: leading, cutting, connecting. The fastening of the cutting edge is carried out using rivets.
A fairly common situation is the case when you have to pull the handle for a long time. It is due to the fact that the carburetor does not mix properly fuel with air. In most cases, it is enough to configure the device in accordance with the operating characteristics. Your chainsaw won‘t last long if not properly maintained.
To check the tension, you must first release the brake. Then pull off the chain in the middle of the headset, normally the shanks should not protrude more than 2/3 of the height. It is recommended to scroll it manually. do not jam and slip too fast. If necessary, tighten the nut on the protective cap.
Figure 5. Checking the chain tension
Installing and checking the tension of the chain on the bar is an important process in the operation of any chainsaw. The work is easy to do on your own. Regular tool maintenance avoids injury and reduced productivity, even when working with dense woods.
How to install a chainsaw cutter
After installing the chain, tighten it correctly and check the tension. Among the features of this moment, we note the following:
- Pulling too tight will cause excessive stress, and the product may burst.
- Insufficient tension leads to chain wear and many other problems.
In general, we can say that there are practically no problems with fixing an unworn product.
Today, the problem associated with an unreliable fixation of the tire is often encountered. It is characterized by the following features:
- The body with the guide element is fixed with a bolt.
- The connection is provided by two plates, one of which is located on the body, the second on the one, which is designed to guide the chain at the time of operation.
- The drive sprocket and the tire support are protected by a special casing, which eliminates the possibility of damage to the main elements.
- When the locking bolts are loosened, the structural element in question begins to move and vibrate at the time of operation. You can solve this problem by tightening the fasteners.
Other defects simply cannot be solved. In most cases, defects become the reason why you have to purchase a tire and replace it.
How To Change A Chainsaw Chain | Stihl Chainsaw
Rules for replacing and tightening chains on a chainsaw
The chain tension on the chainsaw affects not only the normal operation of the machine, but also the safety of the operator working with it. A chainsaw is a highly traumatic tool, and a loose saw chain can have dire consequences. In turn, an over-tensioned chain increases the load on the tool. Therefore, before each start-up of the machine, you must make sure that this important element has the correct tension.
Step-by-step installation algorithm
Not all modern chainsaws are equipped with a setting wheel, which greatly simplifies the procedure for installing the saw blade. Systems with a setting wheel are generally a rarity among household chainsaws. Therefore, it is very important to know the technology and sequence of installing the chain on the chainsaw.
How to Change the Chain and Bar on a Stihl MS170 Chainsaw | L&S Engineers
Key points to look out for:
- Prepare a level surface on which you will assemble the chain and bar. This will minimize the chance of damage to the chainsaw or loss of small parts. A tire is laid out on the prepared surface and a parallel chain next to it.
- Remove the sprocket protection, on modern chainsaws it is enough to unscrew the wing nut, on older models, you may need a spanner wrench of the appropriate size.
- At the base of the guide bar, turn the sprocket all the way to the right. Only in this position is the chain installed.
- Then the chain is sequentially placed, link by link, on the fixing groove on the guide rail. Install the chain from the top of the guide, gradually turn it so that the bar is always on top and the chain is on the bottom, this will allow it to always be taut and fit into the guide groove without problems. When doing this step, be sure to wear thick protective gloves, because your fingers will touch the cutting edge. Viewed from above, the cutter is always forward towards the end of the guide bar.
- Put both the tire and the chain on the drive sprocket.
- Secure the chain sprocket cover in place. Make sure all mounting pins line up with the holes. Incorrect installation with distortions or not completely can cause extraneous noise, rattling.
- Make sure that the guides “go” into the special mounting chute.
- After installation, check the fixation of the chain on the chainsaw and on the bar. Everything must be securely fastened without backlash.
An important point is the degree of tension on the chain after installation. Setting the correct tension is easy and takes less than three minutes. First you need to loosen the nuts on the protective cover. Using the freely rotating adjusting screw, catch the correct tension so that the chain does not pull more than 3-5 mm from the edge of the guide bar.
It remains only to tighten the nuts and check the tension. If correction is needed, adjust the tension again.
What is important to know: when the chain is in operation, due to the frictional forces, its metal heats up and expands, and the length increases. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension and correct it in time.
How to install the bar and chain on the chainsaw, see the following video, which presents a clear algorithm of actions:
How to put the chain on a chainsaw correctly: direction
When considering how to correctly put the chain on the chainsaw, we note that the modern version of the tool has a special setting wheel. Due to it, the procedure is greatly simplified. Among its features, we note the following points:
- Considering how to properly put the chain on the chainsaw, we note that first you need to prepare a flat surface. This eliminates the possibility of damage to the tool. After that, the main part of the tool, the bar and the chain are laid out separately.
- The next step is to remove the protection that is designed to protect the sprocket. In most cases, it is fixed with a conventional wing nut.
- On the tire, the sprocket turns to the right until it stops. It is in this position that the tool is installed.
- Then the chain is gradually superimposed on the fixing element. A fairly common question can be called which side this element is put on. Installation starts at the top, the chain is rotated so that the bar is on top. Such operations should be carried out exclusively with thick gloves that can withstand the impact of the cutting edge. The cutter on the end face must be facing forward.
- Both elements are worn on an asterisk.
- The next step is to reattach the chain sprocket cover. It is important to make sure that the pins line up with the holes. Improper fixation may cause rattling or other problems.
- It is necessary to ensure that the guides fall into a special chute.
- The state of the chain is checked visually after it is fixed.
The next step is to directly check to see if the chain has been overtightened. To do this, release the chain brake and pull it along the mowing line of movement. The check is carried out exclusively with special gloves.
In general, we can say that the procedure under consideration is quite simple to execute and does not require special tools to carry it out. However, not all chainsaws are as easy to maintain as stated above.