How to put the spring on the trimmer handle
Removal and disassembly of the starter, replacement of broken parts
To repair the trimmer starter, you will first need to disassemble it, and then assemble it. This process is not particularly difficult. For work, you need a screwdriver with a tip of the desired shape.
Everything should be done carefully, observing safety precautions, mainly so that the spring does not injure the master in case of an accidental departure.
Disassembly of the starter unit
The launch mechanism is disassembled in order to install new parts instead of broken ones in the following sequence:
- unscrew with a screwdriver the screw fixing the pulley with the starter cover;
- take out the spring and antennae;
- carefully remove the pulley (you need to turn your head away or work, wearing glasses and gloves first);
- determine why the trigger is broken;
- if the spring has collapsed almost completely, then it is replaced;
- when the spring comes out of the hook, it is installed in its original place, bending the antennae in front of this (the photographs show the laying process);
How To repair Your Electronic Hair Clippers Spring Attachment
- after the spring plate is installed inside the groove, carefully twist it.
To change the spring, you must work carefully and carefully: it can accidentally burst under the influence of the force caused by installing it in place. Even if you carefully remove the roller, the spring strip very quickly flies off the reel and can injure your hand with its sharp edges.
It is not always possible to immediately put the spring plate in its original place. It often slips, so attempts must be repeated until the desired result is achieved.
The assembly of the starter unit is carried out in a number of stages:
- the coil is turned over, setting it so that the spring bend fits exactly into the groove of the body, as in the photo below;
- two washers are laid, between which a spring is placed;
- put in place the cup with the antennae;
- tighten the screw (photos below).
When doing the described manipulations, it is imperative to put two washers. If this is not done, then the spring will eventually damage the plastic cup, and when it is pulled up, wedging will begin. Because of this, there is a feeling as if the spring has flown off. To eliminate this drawback, you need to install this part of a greater length or an additional washer.
When such parts are not available, you can simply unscrew the screw a little, and the starter unit will start working without wedging. But this option is temporary. it is better to repair it with high quality as soon as possible.
How to repair a trimmer starter
Petrol trimmer starter repair may be required at the most inopportune moment. In this case, the problem can be solved in two ways: replace the broken part or change the entire unit. The latter option is more expensive. To repair the device with your own hands, in most cases, you will only need a screwdriver with the appropriate tip from the tools. Repair work does not take much time and does not require special knowledge. It is enough to know the device, the principle of operation, the nuances of assembling and disassembling the starter on the trimmer in order to achieve the desired positive result.
The device and principle of operation of the starter on the trimmer
The gasoline engine is, in principle, the main part of lawn mowers.Its power is in the range of 0.5-2.5 hp. The movement from it is transmitted to the shaft, which is inside the hollow rod, and then through a gearbox consisting of gears, already a fishing line or knife (working body).
Also, lawn mowers have the following elements:
- protective casing;
- belt designed for the convenience of using the device;
- starter used to start a gasoline internal combustion engine.
All parts of the lawn mowers are presented in the photo below.
The trimmer starter is an integral part that starts the engine. He is shown separately in the two photos below.
The starter mechanisms of different models of lawn mowers work on the same principle: when the engine starts, the protrusions marked with 1 in the photo above engage with the pawls 3. When the engine starts to work, they return to their previous position due to the influence of centrifugal force. Wire 2 also plays a similar role.
The process of returning to the initial position of the elements of the mechanism occurs due to the presence of a spring wound around the axis. It unfolds when the rope is pulled. After releasing the cord, it is pulled in and wound up due to the coiling of the spring. During the start of the internal combustion engine lawn mowers, the starting mechanism turns its shaft until it starts to work (starts).
Today, gasoline lawn mowers are equipped with two types of starter mechanisms:
The first option is much more common.
The trimmer starter can operate without breakdowns for a long time. It is impossible to clearly indicate the period of uptime. Everything is determined by the initial quality of the device and adherence to the rules for handling it.
The main malfunctions of the trimmer starter
It is not difficult to determine the cause of the breakdown of the triggering device. There are several main options:
- break of the cord (rope);
- when the spring breaks or disengages.
The above details are shown in the photo below.
It may happen that the starter mechanism is accidentally broken. The consequences will be disastrous if the broken rope is wound around the flywheel of a working internal combustion engine: then the spring will burst, the pulley will break. But such cases, when a complete replacement of the starter unit is required, are extremely rare. In most cases, to fix the mechanism, it is enough to install a new spring or replace the cord.
After installing the spring, tighten it. To do this, perform the following actions:
- remove the handle from the starter cord;
- then the rope is inserted into the reel groove;
- tension the spring by rotating the coil in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction (winding);
- make the required number of revolutions specified in the operating instructions for the used trimmer model and corresponding to the length of the cord used;
- at the very end, the rope is threaded into the hole intended for this, located in the starter cover;
- put the handle in place, fixing it with a knot.
If, after repair, the spring continues to fly off, then you can get rid of it in the following ways:
- squeeze a piece of the plate suitable in size into the groove at the location of the spring hook;
- drill holes on both sides of the groove in the spool, into which to insert the spring hook and fix it with a wire.
Carburetor, muffler and ignition coil
To remove the carburetor, it is necessary to have a head 8 and an extension, with which it is convenient to unscrew the nuts securing the carburetor and air filter. Before dismantling the carburetor, it is necessary to disconnect the ignition wire and the choke rod from the engine control lever and remove the lever, only after that the air filter and carburetor are removed.
The Stihl 180 muffler is attached with two nuts, by unscrewing which you need to pull it towards you, it can be easily removed.
The coil is mounted on two screws, to remove you just need to unscrew them.
Removing and disassembling the engine
The engine is held in place by 4 screws installed on the bottom of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. To remove them, unscrew them, then carefully remove the engine from the seat and the rubber pipe of the carburetor.
To disassemble the engine, 4 crankcase screws are unscrewed, and it is removed, then you can remove the crankshaft assembly with oil seals, bearings and piston rings.
Removing bearings and seals usually does not require additional tools, but if the bearings were pressed onto the shaft with force, then a special puller will be needed for dismantling.
To remove the piston from the connecting rod, you will need to remove the retaining ring from the seat using a thin screwdriver, then the piston pin is squeezed out from the opposite side, after which the piston is retracted to the side.
Identification of problems in starting the unit
There may be a problem in which the Stihl 180 does not start. As a rule, it is associated with a breakdown of the starter. In fact, the unit does not start after pulling the cord.
The reasons for the refusal to start the starter can be:
- Spring failure.
- Cracked or broken pulley.
- Burst rope for launch.
Before you find out the reasons for the breakdown, and start repairing the chainsaw starter, the chainsaw body is removed. To do this, unscrew the screws that hold the cover with the starter.
In this case, screwdrivers or special tools are used. A visual inspection of the starter reveals the reasons why the tool did not start.
Damage to the pulley by cracks and ruptures affects the performance of the tool. Detection of mechanical failure or defects in the place where the soft release spring is attached.
Vulnerable is the place of attachment, as well as the tip of this spring inserted into it. If malfunctions or damage to individual parts of the starter are detected, they are replaced with new ones.
Disassembly and maintenance of the piston system of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. video
It is possible to repair the unit with high quality if the parts are in full compliance with the brand of the chainsaw. The same scheme for replacing spare parts applies to saws during DIY repair.
Stihl MS 180 is a reliable and unpretentious tool, but sometimes it requires repair, like any technique. In this article, we will consider how the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is disassembled, which is necessary in the event of an engine overhaul.
Dismantling the clutch and oil pump drive
Before disassembling the clutch, the drive sprocket must be removed. To do this, carefully remove the lock washer from the grooves on the shaft and remove the sprocket and needle bearing.
With a high head 19, you need to unscrew the clutch. The thread on it is left-handed, so it unscrews towards the tire, and not the back of the Stihl 180 saw.
Having unscrewed and removed the clutch, you need to immediately remove the reflective plate and the oil pump drive, this is easy to do, because they are put on the shaft without any fastening.
Actions in the event of a malfunction in various parts of the unit
Unpleasant phenomena such as loss of power, lack of connection, and no-load support are common.
The reasons for this behavior of the tool are the malfunctions of the chainsaw carburetor. This is expressed in contamination with dust particles, sawdust. Such a breakdown can be eliminated without problems on its own.
Carburetor cleaning is carried out using:
- a small amount of gasoline;
- Phillips screwdriver
- heads, size 8.
The sequence of steps when performing repairs:
- To start repairing the carburetor, they begin with cleaning from dirt and dusty particles, small wood. A brush is used for this. When the surface is completely free of debris residues, the repairer removes the cover, after which the filter.
- The air collector is released after unscrewing the fasteners of the air filter. The user now has access to the accelerator and traction. The accelerator lever is removed as soon as the throttle is lowered by pressing down with a finger.
- The carburetor moves out of the seat after the choke lever is removed and closed. Then the wire is removed and pulled towards itself to stop the engine. A photograph is taken of the plastic lever, which is the place of attachment of the wire.
- It is lifted from the left. As a result, the carburetor is released, which makes it possible to pull it out and clean it. For these purposes, it is convenient to use a compressor. In its absence, the parts are washed in pure gasoline.
Dismantling the Stihl chainsaw. video
The process of assembling the saw carburetor is carried out in the reverse order. If, after this process, smoke appears from the muffler and the saw engine does not start well, then you need to make sure that there is a spring located under the lever needle.
The spring shuts off the fuel supply. In its absence, there is a spontaneous “overflow” of fuel into the spark plug. It is important to ensure that the spring is installed in its place, and make sure that the spark plug is working.
If the candle is flooded with gasoline, then it should be dried. To do this, the part is unscrewed, the excess fuel that has got inside is drained through the existing hole. The candle dries for more than half an hour. Then it is installed in place, and the chainsaw is brought into working condition.
Trimmer Repair. Replacing the Lever Return Spring (Echo Part # V452000240)
Insufficient contact between the high-voltage wire and the end of the plug can also be one of the causes of tool breakage. Stihl chainsaw parts can be repaired by replacing problem parts.
For example, if a candle fails, it is replaced with a reliable one. Chains, sprockets, tires are subject to rapid wear. They solve anti-vibration problems in the chainsaw device, so they are replaced urgently. It is recommended to keep such spare parts in stock.
Removing the handle
Direct disassembly of the Stihl 180 begins with the removal of the handle, which is attached to the body of the chainsaw using three rubber shock absorbers. To remove, it is necessary to remove the plastic plugs from the inner cavity of the shock absorbers, then, using a powerful screwdriver, squeeze out the upper shock absorber first, then the one closer to the rear handle.
At the back of the handle there is a throttle trigger, which is connected to the carburetor through a wire rod, in order to disconnect the throttle trigger from the throttle trigger, it is necessary to unscrew two screws and disassemble the handle.
When the handle remains on one shock absorber, it is necessary to unscrew the body of the chainsaw from the inside of the handle and bend it to the side, remove the body from the last rubber band.
HOW to Assemble the Trimmer Starter?
- In the manner of the material from which it is made;
- By the shape of its cutting blades.
The most common types of chainsaw malfunctions
The operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is carried out in accordance with the instructions supplied with the tool. The user turns on the starting system after being convinced of the presence of oil, gasoline, and ascertaining the correct tension of the chain.
Working with the tool begins after it is securely held in your hands. If a tool failure is detected, it is necessary to determine what caused the malfunction of the Stihl chainsaw.
The reasons that caused the malfunction of the tool can be:
- the appearance of a leak in the oil system;
- formed breaks in the crankcase cord;
- carburetor malfunctions;
- air entering the crankcase through the oil seals;
- worn condition of the worm gear in the oil pump;
- no spark appears at the ignition cross section;
- deterioration of the driving sprocket;
- violation of the integrity of the eyelet under the control lever.
To carry out an independent repair of a broken Stihl chainsaw, tools are used that are in stock with each consumer.
It can be:
- socket and wrenches;
- vacuum gauge used to determine defects in oil seals, carburetor, crankcase;
- air compressor used for purging and cleaning components and assemblies;
- T-key STIHL Torx 27;
- stopper limiting the course of the crankshaft;
- bearing puller.
How to put a spring on a chainsaw starter?
Fitting the starter spring into the correct groove is not easy, even for an experienced user. First, the spring should be twisted to the previous diameter and installed in the cavity of the drum hub. The outer end of the spring is fixed by the restricting protrusion, and the outer end with a screwdriver should be positioned opposite the hole in the lock. The loop at the inner end of the spring is aligned with the hole with a screwdriver, after which the disc is lowered. Rotate the disc to check if the ratchet dog has come into place. Next, the ratchet itself is assembled.
After installing the spring, it is necessary to adjust its tension. To do this, a cable is inserted into the groove on the circumference, and a return spring is twisted around it. After removing the slack, it is better to wind the spring an additional few turns to ensure the required tension on the part.
If the material of the starter spring is found to be of poor quality, the spring will burst (usually at the point of its attachment to the drum, where it forms a loop). In this case, it is not worth replacing the spring. Thoroughly clean its surface from dirt and traces of grease, carefully grind the place of destruction, and then release the spring at 600. 650 ° C (the steel of the spring should acquire a crimson color). It is necessary to cool the spring slowly, and at 100. 150 ° C it is already possible to gently wrap its end in the shape of a restrictive protrusion on the inner surface of the drum (steel will acquire the necessary plasticity) and insert it into place. The elastic properties of the spring will not change.
How to install a chainsaw starter spring
The chainsaw starter device includes the following elements:
- ignition system screw;
- return spring;
- coil of the starting system;
- spark plug;
- the electronic unit;
- power button;
- handle and cable.
The main parameters of the chainsaw start system:
- power. from 2000 to 2500 W;
- the maximum number of revolutions per minute. 3000;
- weight. 0.5 kg.
After pressing the power button, the flywheel begins to rotate along with the magnet that is on it.
An electromotive force appears in the system. The resulting current is converted by an electronic unit into electrical signals, which are transmitted to the driving elements. A spark is formed, which provokes the ignition of the fuel-air mixture.
How to assemble a starter on a chainsaw?
After replacing the faulty elements of the starter, it is the turn of its reassembly. In this case, maximum accuracy must be observed, since the slightest discrepancy can lead to damage to the trigger. The assembly of the assembly should be performed in the following sequence:
- The standard cable will need to be tucked into the factory hole of the reel. At the same time, the cord does not need to be wound;
- Next, you will need to insert the coil into its base place. At this stage, many beginners make a common mistake. There are 2 slots on the surface of the coil. One of them should get the regular hook of the coil spring. To do this, the coil will need to be installed in such a way that it fits snugly into its original place, and the existing hook fits exactly into the slot. The correctness of installation must be checked by turning the coil in the direction of the clock hand until resistance appears;
- Then you need to install a device for easy starting of the chainsaw. In this case, the protrusion of the latter should be located in the recess of the installed coil;
- After that, you will need a screw and washer to fix the device;
- Next, the other end of the cord must be tucked into a special outlet;
- In the next step, you will need to thread the cable into the starting handle. To this end, you will need to tie a medium-sized knot at the end of the cord. If it is too small, then the cable will slip, which is why it will quickly wind up on the trigger drum;
- Then you need to release the loop inside the starter. Immediately after this, you should start rotating the trigger in the direction of the clock hand. In this case, the cord does not need to be wound. Next, you need to fix the coil with your hand, and pull the loop out by the handle;
- After that, you need to check the operation of the trigger;
- If the unit is working properly, it remains to install it on the tool, and fasten with three screws.
Starter repair is not a complicated procedure if you follow the correct procedure. As a rule, replacing the starter cord will take no more than 20 minutes. The main thing is to correctly position the pulley and drum in relation to each other. Otherwise, the trigger will not work.
Replacing the starter
Procedure for replacing the chainsaw starter:
- Remove the assembly from the tool body.
- Unscrew the fastening bolts and remove the side cover.
- Unscrew the fastening screw with which the starter is attached.
- Remove the clamp and spring mechanism of the starting system.
- Dismantle the pulley with a cord.
- Replace all worn and damaged parts.
- Wrap the pulley.
- Install a new starter.
- Reinstall the pulley with cord, clamp and spring.
- Screw on the side cover and install the assembly on the chainsaw body.
Before installing a new starter, it is recommended to inspect it for defects, check the build quality and the presence of a guide sleeve.
Chainsaw starter repair
With frequent starts of the chainsaw, some parts of the starter are constantly subjected to dynamic loads. As a result, the cable may burst, several ratchet teeth crumble, and the shaft will turn at a much lower speed. Therefore, the revision and even repair of the starter are operations that are sometimes carried out several times per season.
Chainsaw starter device
The principle of operation of a starter for a chainsaw is as follows. A handle is installed in the groove of the body, through which a cable is passed. If the handle is lifted sharply, the cable is pulled out and engages the drum of the ratchet mechanism, which transfers the movement to the drum with splines provided on the shaft. In this case, the crankshaft makes several revolutions, and the working mixture in the space between the piston and the cylinder head is compressed. Accordingly, when the handle is lowered, the contact between the ratchet and the splines is lost, and the shaft stops.
With an increase in engine volume, the required amount of the fuel-air mixture required for its subsequent ignition also increases, so the number of jerks for the starting cable for high-power saws increases. Therefore, in order to accelerate the return of the drum, unwanted return springs are used, made of steels with high elastic properties.
Facilitation of starting the chainsaw is implemented in the following ways:
- By preliminary enrichment of the working mixture, for which there is a special damper in the carburetor design.
- Installation of an automatic decompression valve, which reduces the working pressure in the cylinder of the chainsaw.
- Installing an additional spring, which, during the movement of the cable, facilitates the unwinding of the crankshaft.
- The presence in the design of some chainsaws (for example, Partner S series, Maxcut, etc.) a primer. a pump that provides preliminary fuel pumping.
There are times when the starter is still operational, but a worn out cord can break, for example. The ratchet has not yet had time to work when the engine is started, and the remnants of the cord are immediately wound on the reel, the return spring loses its hooks, the grooves in the starter housing break. The result is the replacement of both the springs and the housing.
If a lawn mower or trimmer model has long been discontinued, it will be difficult to find exactly the same parts, and the starter is changed entirely.
Lawn mower starters: device and installation features
The recoil starter for a lawn mower or petrol trimmer is a mechanical unit that includes a pulley fitted to a ratchet. A rope is wound on the pulley in the initial position. At the start, it is pulled outward. The pulley is spring loaded. as soon as you let go of the end of the rope, it will reel back. A flat tape rolled into a ring is used as a spring. It resembles a spring in a large mechanical watch that is wound once a day. The starter itself is located more often at the rear than closer to the front end of the mower or trimmer. To correctly perform all manipulations with the starter for lawn mowers, you need to know the features of the device and installation.
How does the starter for lawn mowers or trimmers work??
The starter is a generally single and universal mechanism for lawn mowers, trimmers, gasoline and diesel generator sets. It is not a problem to equip them even a car, motorcycle or scooter, if your vehicle has free space for its installation. It was not for nothing that many Soviet cars and trucks were equipped with a starter tool that remotely resembles a crowbar bent twice.
The modern “handbrake” starts exactly from the cord. it is tied to the mechanism, and it is impossible to lose it.
The starter assembly has the following parts:
- hook ignition spring;
- cord wound on a reel;
- return spring;
- ratchet drive and main spring;
- mechanism housing protecting the ratchet;
- locking bolt.
How to replace or replace the starter spring?
If everything is in order with the rope on the starter, suspicion falls on the reel itself. It is driven by a ribbon spring, coiled into a roll. To change the spring, certain steps must be taken.
- Remove the starter from the lawn mower.
- Remove the starter coil.
- Unscrew the main bolt holding the pulley to the housing.
- Pull out the gripping tendrils and spring, the ribbon spring is almost fully extended or coiled into larger diameter rings.
- Hold it in advance.
- Check if the spring is intact (rusty streaks, fractures, etc. may be present). If the hooks at its ends are torn off, it will not be possible to bend new ones. high-carbon steel breaks when you try to bend it. Loose hooks are suitable for slight bending.
- Make sure the auxiliary (regular) spring and washers are in place. These parts protect the coil body from being punctured by the ends of the main spring. If the washers and spring are broken, and new ones are not available, do not tighten the coil bolt tightly, but watch it. it can unscrew and get lost.
- If the main (flat) spring is damaged, insert the same new one. Place the hook on the end of the spring in its place and bend it, inserting coil after coil into the space where it should be.
The rewinding of the spring takes a minute. Dexterity in this action is acquired quickly.
How to replace or replace the starter spring, see the following video.
How tight the spring is cocking?
It is possible to give the spring the necessary potential force necessary for a clear and quick winding of the cord, by determining the length of the cord in turns. To prevent the cord handle from drooping, add 1-2 more turns to the number of turns. So, if the cord has a length of 5 turns of the coil, then when charging the spring, turn the coil 6-7 full turns.