How To Remove A Chain From A Stihl Chainsaw
Chainsaws Stihl (Stihl) 180
Stihl (Stihl) 180 chainsaw review: malfunctions and repairs, technical specifications, carburetor adjustment, device
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
It is necessary to start the Stihl chainsaw in the following sequence:
- First of all, you need to turn on the inertial brake by pulling its plastic lever away from you;
- Next, you need to carefully remove the protective plastic cover;
- Then you will need to press the standard fuel pump button. Thanks to this, the fuel will enter the cylinder and it will be easier for the starter to start the engine;
- Next, the combination switch must be set to the permissible position marked “Cold start”;
- Then grab the Stihl saw with both hands and slowly pull the plastic lever of the factory built-in starter until resistance is felt. Immediately after this, it is necessary to quickly pull the starter lever towards you several times until the standard engine starts and stalls;
- Finally, pull the inertial brake lever towards you and start working with the tool.
By adhering to this procedure, the owner of the Stihl MS 180 model will be able to protect its main working parts from increased wear and significantly extend their service life.
Chainsaw Stihl 180 stalls when you press the gas
In this case, the cause must be looked for in a dirty air or built-in fuel filter. Over time, they become unusable, as dirt accumulates on them. To fix the problem, you will need to clean or completely replace the filter parts.
Another reason for this breakdown lies in an incorrectly tuned carburetor. The owner will need to first clean the unit from accumulated dust and oil residues, and also adjust it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Oil does not flow to the chain of the Stihl 180 chainsaw
One of the main reasons for the problem in which the oil is not supplied is a breakdown of the pump that supplies oil to the saw headset. To fix the malfunction, you will need to remove the bar and chain, as well as dismantle the side protective plastic cover. After that, the place under the housing will need to be cleaned and the pump replaced.
If the chain is not lubricated, then the cause of the breakdown may also be the breakage of one or more oil pipes. In this case, you will need to remove the hoses and replace them.
Repair of any equipment should begin with the preparatory work, and the Stihl 180 saw is no exception. At the preparatory stage, before the Stihl 180 chainsaw is disassembled, it is necessary to remove the side cover, chain and tire from the chainsaw. Further, with the help of a compressor and a brush, you need to clean the chainsaw from dirt, sawdust, oil drips and other things.
In places with a large accumulation of oil, it can be washed with clean gasoline.
Removing and disassembling the engine
The engine is held in place by 4 screws installed on the bottom of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. To remove them, unscrew them, then carefully remove the engine from the seat and the rubber tube of the carburetor.
To disassemble the engine, 4 crankcase screws are unscrewed, and it is removed, then you can remove the crankshaft complete with oil seals, bearings and piston rings.
Removing bearings and oil seals usually does not require additional tools, but if the bearings were pressed onto the shaft with force, then a special puller will be required for dismantling.
To remove the piston from the connecting rod, you will need to remove the retaining ring from the seat using a thin screwdriver, then the piston pin is squeezed out from the opposite side, after which the piston is retracted to the side.
Disassembly and assembly of Stihl МС 180
Stihl MS 180 is a reliable and unpretentious tool, but sometimes it requires repair, like any technique. In this article, we will consider how the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is disassembled, which is necessary in the event of an engine overhaul.
Features of replacing the star for chainsaws of different brands
When replacing or repairing a chainsaw, the design features of the model should be taken into account. The specifics of servicing the coupling drum of popular manufacturers:
- Stihl (Stihl). The models of this brand have one-piece and collapsible types of sprockets. To unwind the clutch, you need a 19 head and a knob. It should be noted that the thread is left-handed, and a reflective plate is installed behind the clutch (consumable material, often breaks when diagnosing a drum).
- Partner (Partner). The peculiarity of this brand is that when replacing the sprocket, it is recommended to change the bearing. If you ignore this step, after a scheduled repair, there is a risk of malfunctioning of the chain, changing the pitch during active sawing.
- Husqvarna (Husqvarna). Many Husqvarna models use an interchangeable sprocket. This simplifies scheduled replacement and repairs. When disassembling the tool, you will need a 13 wrench to fix the shaft from the impeller side.
- Carver (Carver). Unlike other manufacturers, there are no specific design features of the clutch. Depending on the brand, the star can be solid or collapsible.
It is recommended that you carefully read the instructions before starting the scheduled repairs. It indicates the important design features of the saw, the frequency of replacing consumables.
The device of a leading star on a chainsaw
Almost all models of modern chainsaws use a centrifugal clutch system. The specificity of this mechanism is that when the maximum number of revolutions of the gasoline engine is reached, the clutch drum starts automatically, transferring the rotation to the drive sprocket. This reduces stress on the base parts of the tool, extending service life and maximizing productivity.
Figure 1. Diagram of the drive star device
The clutch drum, where the sprocket is located, can be located on the inside or outside of the chainsaw body. There is always a cover on top to protect moving mechanisms from dirt, sawdust and dust. The clutch itself is a metal disc in the clutch drum. The entire mechanism is attached to the engine crankshaft by bolts with springs, along the edges of which there are friction linings. When the engine rpm exceeds a certain value, centrifugal force is generated, exerting strong pressure on the inside of the drum. After that, the sprocket starts up. The rotation of the chain saw begins.
When is replacement needed?
The saw head and drive sprocket are subject to natural wear and tear during operation. This is not a breakdown, but a routine maintenance procedure for the tool. Reasons for replacing the sprocket:
- Intensive and long-term operation of the saw;
- Mechanical shock of the headset;
- Using the wrong chain. Figure 2. Leading star on a chainsaw
Normal wear of the drive sprocket teeth is up to 0.5 mm. With regular work, this figure can go up to 1 mm, but over time this will lead to a load on the engine, damage to other parts of the saw. You can determine the need for replacement or repair by the following signs:
- There is mechanical damage to the guide sprocket;
- The width of the teeth is disproportionate to their height;
- There are asymmetric corners;
- The hub has chips, grooves, or large burrs.
If you do not timely diagnose and prevent the moving parts of the chainsaw, vibration increases and the impact on the crankshaft bearings increases. As a result, this leads to costly repairs, serious tool breakage.
Malfunctions and repairs
The carburetor of the Stihl 180 chainsaw requires both initial and periodic adjustment. You can find out about its need by the following signs:
- Engine problems such as not starting or stalling immediately after starting work. The most common reason is the use of a poor-quality fuel mixture.
- Fuel consumption and increased emissions. Exhaust gases increase due to incomplete combustion of the fuel. Most often, this problem can arise due to oversaturation of fuel.
Other breakdowns may also occur, such as clogging due to damaged air filter or scale formation. The reasons may be related to the fact that gasoline remains in the fuel tank during a long idle period. This is due to the fact that the fuel is exhaled, which spoils the device.
Regardless of the reason, carburetor repair will be required, which most often comes down to adjustment. The method for performing this procedure depends on the model of the chainsaw, but general principles can be followed.
What you need to know about adjusting the carburetor of the Stihl chainsaw (Stihl)
You can’t do without a chainsaw in your household. Therefore, you need to know the rules of use and maintenance. This primarily concerns the performance of the carburetor. The efficiency of the chainsaw depends on this detail. Therefore, the Stihl chainsaw carburetor should be adjusted in time in compliance with the technology. If you have knowledge and little experience, you can do it yourself.
Device and principle of operation
Before starting the adjustment, it is recommended to study the chainsaw carburetor device in advance. Most often it does not depend on the model, the only exceptions are Chinese-made chainsaws. But you can always look at the instructions.
It is important that the proportions are observed, otherwise there is a risk of engine failure, which can be manifested by excessive fuel consumption or a complete stop of the device.
The main parts of a gasoline saw carburetor are:
- Tube. Performs the function of air transfer, portioned supply is possible due to the presence of a damper;
- Diffuser. This part is located directly at the inlet through which fuel is supplied, capable of accelerating the air flow;
- The sprayer is capable of injecting gasoline into the created air stream;
- The float chamber is a cavity that serves to maintain the fuel at the same level, from which gasoline is fed through a nozzle to the sprayer.
The principle of operation of a chainsaw carburetor is simple. Its structure allows air to pass through the tube, while the speed can be controlled by a damper. After the tube is open, the float is activated. This causes the air to pass through the diffuser and mix with the fuel. Then this mixture moves into the cylinder. Due to the difference in pressure (in the chamber with the float it is almost equal to atmospheric, and in the tube it is rarefied), the fuel is sucked into the tube, and the more it is, the more the speed of the chainsaw engine will be.