How to Remove a Wheel from a Lawn Mower
I needed to remove a large pulley from a large electric motor. The first thing that came to my mind was to use a puller, but the one that I have can simply break the aluminum pulley.
The motor was not used for a long time, the aluminum pulley was attached to the iron shaft. The contact area is very large, the diameter of the landing hole is 24 mm, the depth is 60 mm. A few days I watered the motor shaft "liquid wrench", tried to hang the motor by the pulley and knock out the shaft, none of this worked.
Finally, I took a few iron corners, cut it to size and drilled holes, twisted all the parts with bolts, it turned out to be a simple improvised puller. There was especially no hope that I would be able to remove this pulley. He pulled the puller over the pulley and began to slowly tighten the bolt, squeezing the shaft. Without much effort, the pulley began to be removed from the electric motor.
So, without special tools, I managed to solve a difficult problem. The homemade pulley puller was very simple and effective. Just a couple of pieces of iron and bolts helped in the work.
The electric motor is 380 volts 2.2 kW, I want to adapt it for a lawn mower, this idea has long been spinning in my head, as I will definitely show the result.
In principle, this work in itself is simple. just unscrew one bolt (the thread on this engine is normal, "right") Yes, and pull the pulley But all the difficulty here comes out in the moment that the bolt is tightened very much (and "wedashka" doesn’t help here) and to unscrew it for us, you need a collar with a large shoulder (here any suitable pipe dressed on the socket wrench is suitable), but the most problematic thing is that you need to somehow fix the crankshaft itself from turning. In addition, the motor of our Galaxy is installed in the opposite direction and so that the spar interferes with the removal of the pulley, so we still have to lower the right side of the engine.
So, the car is on the jack, the right front wheel is removed, the engine is lowered (this process is described here), the V-ribbed belt of the generator is removed.
There are several methods to fix the crankshaft.
1. Some manage to break the bolt by fixing the crankshaft through the transmission (manual transmission, not "machine") That is, we tighten"handbrake"stick the gear (preferably "direct"I think the 4th one is just right), the left wheel is already on the ground, we fix the right hub with something (for example, the assistant presses the brake pedal hard, or through the screwed-in wheel bolts with a crowbar to the ground) and try to pluck it. Some succeed. But, firstly, in this way there are few chances to break the bolt, and secondly, and most importantly! there is a rather big risk of crushing the gear teeth in the gearbox. Therefore, this is not our method.
2. You can remove the starter and fix the flywheel (for example, with a suitable piece of the corner, or something else), but this is a considerable piece of additional work. Although if anyone needs it, e.g. repair the starter, then just a reason to combine work &# 128578;
3. You can open the valve cover and lock the camshaft sprockets. Like so
So, we pulled the pulley bolt and unscrewed. Now the second difficult stage is to pull the pulley off the crankshaft journal.
You just can’t poke it with screwdrivers or installers. cover the edge
When carrying out repair work with the engine and with the engine parts, it is necessary to remove the pulley from the crankshaft, for example, to replace the pulley or to replace the sealing glands in case of engine oil leakage. It would seem to be a simple task, but with the removal of the pulley from the crankshaft, difficulties arise and it is not so easy to remove it. Therefore, in this article we will consider a way how this can be quickly done.
Why is it difficult to remove the pulley?
No. 1. Depending on the design of the engine brand and model of the car, the complexity of dismantling the pulley is different. In some cars there is a lot of space for comfortable repair work, in some there is very little free space. Pulley design elements close the pulley.
By structure, the pulleys are also different, there are 2 types:
The damper pulleys in the design have an additional outer ring with an elastic band that absorbs vibrations and micro vibrations.
Video: How to Remove a Wheel from a Lawn Mower
Before you begin to remove the pulley, it is necessary to loosen the tensioning nut-bolts, remove the belt of the generator and hydraulic booster (PAS).
No. 2. In the factory assembly, the pulley is mounted on the crankshaft of the engine, pressed by a bolt or nut and tightened with great compression force. Thus, the factory assembly is very strong. Therefore, if the pulley has never been removed, then dismantling for the first time will be more difficult.
In addition to tightening with the maximum allowable force with a special torque wrench, during operation, the engine heats up very much, the threaded connection is even more tightened and sticks. And external factors act outside, due to which the threaded connection can be subject to corrosion.
Some engine models are not repaired, they are disposable. This, for example: 1AZ-FSE, 3UZ-FSE. Each power unit has been examined in detail.
No. 3. If you turn off the clutch, the engine crankshaft can be freely rotated with a wrench. Therefore, to unscrew the nut of the crankshaft pulley, it is necessary to lock the shaft from turning. If, when you press the clutch, the speeds do not switch, then it is not working. Perhaps air has entered the system. In this case, you need to pump the clutch.
Why are special technological holes made in the pulleys? In workshops for fixing the shaft there is a special device that must be bolted to the pulley and lock the shaft.
If there is no special device for fixing the shaft, which is screwed to the pulley, then you need to put a good recoil device under the wheels of the car and put the 4th gear on the gearbox.
Or, the third option is to push the mount into the teeth of the flywheel and fix the crankshaft from turning while unscrewing the pulley nut.
Another option is to insert a pin into the hole of the pulley, and install the mount on the pin and the second stop, as in this figure.
How to unscrew the crankshaft pulley
Depending on the design of the crankshaft, the pulley is attached to it with either a nut or a bolt. On cars with rear-wheel drive, basically, the pulley is fixed with a nut. The engines of some rear-wheel drive cars can be started with a special handle, for which special protrusions are made to engage the handle. This handle is also called the “crooked key”, and the engagement for this key is called ratchet.
The pulley mounting nut is installed on a turnkey 36 or 38 mm size. Use a socket wrench. The key is strengthened by welding a long handle or put on a tube to increase the "shoulder".
How to unscrew the pulley nut:
- Put a car in a pit or overpass.
- Raise the hand parking brake.
- Include 4 speed on the gearbox, put the stops under the wheels.
- Do not knock on the edges of the nut.
- Throw in the socket wrench, lengthen it with a pipe and tear off the attached nut.
If the pulley nut does not loosen:
- Transfer the handle of the box to neutral.
- Remove the spark plug wires from the candles so that the engine does not start.
- Fit the socket wrench on the nut and extend it with the pipe. Throw the key in such a way that the pipe rests on the ground or the side member of the machine on the right side to prevent the pulley from turning clockwise.
- We make a couple of short sharp turns of the ignition key to turn on the starter. The starter will begin to rotate the flywheel, the flywheel is a crankshaft, and the pulley is locked with a key. In this case, usually an attached nut quickly “leaves”.
The front-wheel drive crankshaft pulley is mainly bolted. To remove the front-wheel drive crankshaft pulley, proceed in the following order:
- Use a jack to raise the front right side of the car. Attach a tragus, stump or a pair of wheels with wheels.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove and remove air filter with housing.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Release belt tensioner and remove alternator belt.
- To fix the crankshaft, remove the plug in the clutch housing, then insert the mount into the hole and rest it between the teeth of the flywheel.
- Now you need to put on the socket wrench, lengthen it with a pipe and sharply try to turn it counterclockwise. The main rip off the hooked pulley bolt.
If you can’t get the bolt out of place, then we use the method of loosening the starter. This method is given above.
Useful advice from locksmiths who have seen a lot: use a solvent or VD-40, or a similar anti-rust agent. After spraying onto the thread (if the pulley is fixed with a nut), you must wait 15 minutes, then try to turn it off. If a bolt is used, it is not easy to apply this tool to the thread, although it can be sprayed around the bolt, it is possible that liquid will pass through the micro-slots and break the joint.
To unscrew a bolt or a nut of fastening is only half the battle. Next, pull the pulley off the shaft. So just by hand the pulley will not be removed, if not its landing nest is not gouged. In addition, the pulley fits tightly on the shaft, then it is still fixed from being turned with a key.
There are special pullers for removing the pulley from the shaft. There are mechanical and hydraulic pullers.
The design of the mechanical puller is simple. Usually it has three legs that need to hook the pulley itself, and push the central shaft against the shaft. After that, it is necessary to rotate the rod, the legs will straighten and pull the pulley. There are even easier pullers that you can do with your own hands. If there is no removable pulley device, then you can use mounts. If one person takes pictures, then in turn, pushing a little on each side so that there is no skew. If there are two, then simultaneously from different sides with a sharp movement the pulley is pressed out from the crankshaft.
It also happens that when using a puller, the pulley groove walls do not stand up and break off. Therefore, when using mounts, they must be hooked as close to the shaft as possible.
Installing a pulley on the crankshaft
In order to reinstall the pulley on the engine crankshaft, you need to check the seats. If there are burrs, badass, remove them with an emery stone. If the old pulley fits easily on the shaft, then such a pulley is not suitable. He should sit tight, sit down with a certain effort. Before installing the pulley, to reduce friction, lubricate with oil or lithol.
In this video, useful tips on how to unscrew the nut that secures the pulley to the crankshaft of an automobile motor.
Variant of the crankshaft pulley bolt with a ribbed belt.
How to remove the crankshaft pulley on a VAZ (2108, 2109, 21099, 2110, 2111, 2112, 2113, 2114, 2115).
How to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt. Bolted connection.
How to tighten the crankshaft pulley very quickly.
Removes the crankshaft pulley on a Honda car (Honda) without a special key.