How to remove holes in the wall from the drill
If the hole is big
You should also try to find out what to fix the hole with, if it is big enough, because the sealant in this situation will not solve the problem. Putty will have to be used.
- Removing the chamfer and protruding paper near the damage area. A box cutter can be used for this purpose.
- Priming the hole. For this purpose, a small brush is used, with which you can cover the hole with primer on all sides.
- Caulking the hole. After the primers have dried, the damage must be filled with a plaster or cement mixture.
Work on the area in the center of the damage Source stroy-podskazka.ru
- After the mixture dries, sand the repaired area well with sandpaper.
- After that, using a stationery knife, you need to draw (cutting off only the top layer of paper) a rectangle of 15 by 10 cm, in the center of which will be a hole.
- Paper is removed from the surface of the entire rectangle. To do this, it is enough to pick up one of the corners and tear off the top layer.
- The layer of plaster that was under the paper is covered with primer.
- After the primer has dried, a construction mesh is glued to the surface of the triangle.
Using mesh Source pinimg.com
How to fill a hole in a concrete or brick wall
Before we start caulking small cracks or large holes in the wall opening, let’s determine what tools we will need.
Tiny cracks in the wall covering or holes from drilling or nails require the same degree of intervention as a large through hole from a pipe or socket.
- A small brush with stiff bristles.
- Piece of foam rubber.
- Two trowels: one small and one large.
- Sandpaper for cleaning surfaces.
- Vacuum cleaner.
- Sealing compounds and a sealant gun.
- Putty and primer for walls.
For a larger hole, it is worth having a peeler and a hammer handy.
Holes or holes in the construction or repair process can appear for a variety of reasons: when rewiring or in the process of replacing fixtures, shelves or cornices, from placing any modern gadgets or decorative elements attached to the wall or ceiling. The use of certain building materials to defeat a mechanical defect will depend primarily on the causes of the hole and its size, and only then on the type of building materials and their quality characteristics. With concrete coatings and masonry things are easier, and plasterboard. a delicate material, it is more difficult to work with.
To repair defects in the wall use different mixes: the optimal indoor putty and repair mixture. for cracks. Assembling foam, plaster and cement is also recommended for exterior and interior work when caulking holes in concrete and brick wall.
How to fill a small crack
Barely noticeable crack. damage or hole from a screw, pin, nail to putty much easier, especially in a brick or concrete surface.
Based on the features and size of the crack, do the following:
- Remove the old finish or remove the paint.
- Widen the defect a little. use a nail and a hammer or a peorator. This is necessary to thoroughly fill the space inside the gap with mortar or any construction mixture.
- Clean the cavity inside the hole. with a vacuum cleaner.
- For better contact and interpenetration of sealing mortars treat the hole with primer.
- Caulk the crack.
- Grind surfaces thoroughly with sandpaper. only after they are completely dry.
And the final step is to restore the original look. Prim the “piece” with the defect and apply the same wall coating as the rest of the space.
How to fill a large hole
Large damages in the wall are sealed in the same way as small holes. The same sequential process. cleaning the hole and priming.
But take into account a few important nuances:
- hole up to 5-7 cm can be filled with mortar. But if there are gaps inside the hole, they are also grouted repeatedly;
- Through holes from the pipe (chink) or from the socket are sealed with brick splinters (gypsum, small chips) and cement. The mixture of brick and mortar is placed inside the hole. tightly tamped, eliminating any gaps and leaving no protrusion from the cemented surface;
- Having waited for the complete drying of the “stuffing”, the wall is puttyed;
- the dried surface is treated with sandpaper and proceed to the decorative finish.
How to patch a nail mark in the wall, as if it did not exist
After the removal of wallpaper before a new repair often reveal holes in the wall from nails and other fasteners. A similar problem may arise after getting rid of an annoying picture, hours, shelves.
In order for the finish to look perfectly flat and beautiful, any defects must be carefully caulked up. The technology of performing the work will depend on the depth and size of the holes, as well as the base material, etc.д.
Hole in drywall
Today, drywall sheets are used everywhere to insulate rooms, conduct soundproofing, or simply to level the walls. Unfortunately, this material cannot withstand mechanical damage, and more often than not, cracks form on it. But how to remove a hole in the wall from plasterboard is advised by experts.
To start with a pencil outline the place of repair in the form of a regular rectangle. A ruler-corner will help. Use a utility knife or a hacksaw to cut all the damaged material accurately along these lines.
Then you need to cut the board in the shape of a rectangle, but so that it is slightly narrower, but longer than the specified parameters. As a handle, install a large screw, which must be removed at the end of the work. Insert the board into the sawed hole and press it to the plasterboard from behind, fix it with self-tapping screws.
Cut out a rectangle from a piece of drywall, exactly corresponding to the hole. Insert it into the hole and reinforce with self-tapping screws, which should be screwed inside as deeply as possible. Then putty the surface, apply a reinforcing mesh and carefully rub it into the putty. After drying, we sand and apply another layer of putty, but already a finishing coat.
How to fill holes up to 0.5 cm in the drywall on the wall
To patch holes in drywall, left by anchors, dowels, screws when moving hanging furniture or shelves, is not difficult. This will require acrylic sealant. It is pressed into the recess and compared with a trowel to the plane of the wall. After it dries, it will still need to be sanded down with mesh or sandpaper. And in the case of shrinkage of the glue and a small depression in the hole, for the final disappearance of the defect it is enough to apply an ordinary putty.
Gypsum bandage Such bandages are sold in pharmacies and specialized medical stores. A piece of bandage is cut off, rolled into a tube, moistened with water and inserted into the hole from under the nail. After it hardens, the plaster will be as hard as a rock and will reliably fill the hole.
The surest way to eliminate the hole is to buy filler, which is sold at any building materials store. The compound from the can must be applied on a small spatula and cover the defect. When the composition on the wall dries, you need to plaster everything and paint the wall in the desired color.
Fixing other types of holes and cracks
Types of defects that can also occur in concrete walls:
- Cracks, which often occur in the joints. The elimination of such defects is no different from caulking an ordinary hole. But there is still a distinctive feature in the work. it is an increase in the size of the crack to one centimeter across its entire area.
- Hole in places of laying pipes. If the hole is small, it is filled with silicone, a large void with assembly foam. After the installation foam dries, it is slightly trimmed to a level deeper than the wall and putty.
- Hole in the ceiling as a consequence of peeling plaster. Such a defect first of all clean up and if there is fungus under the plaster layer, the affected place is treated with an antifungal composition. After that, the hole is treated with a primer and covered with several layers of plaster. However, it is worth remembering that each new layer of plaster is applied only after the previous one has dried. After the surface is plastered it is ground with sandpaper.
Reasons of holes
In the process of operation of any building there is inevitable destruction of the building envelope. The appearance of cracks and cracks in the walls occurs due to various factors:
- During the natural shrinkage of a new house;
- failure to protect building envelopes from environmental factors. precipitation, low and high temperatures, wind;
- When replacing or relocating heating and water pipes inside the house;
- installation of switches and sockets. their transfer to another place;
- Laying of electrical wiring and other utilities through walls;
- fixing, dismantling, transferring shelves, hinged cabinets, sconces, decorative elements;
- accidental mechanical damage.
Peculiarities of repair of holes in enclosing constructions
To seal a small gap in a wall made of blocks, such as bricks, it is first expanded (with a trowel). This will allow the repair compound to penetrate deeper. First remove debris and dust from the hole, and prime the surface with primer. Then fill the hole with putty. After the putty has dried, grind the repaired area with an abrasive material.
Larger damages are repaired differently. After removing dirt, the recess must be moistened with water and put cement or gypsum mortar in it. depending on the location of the hole (on the inside or outside side of the wall). Chopped bricks should be added to the mortar. When the mortar hardens, the repaired area is puttyed and polished after drying.
Large holes are filled with brick fragments, then covered with mortar
Pipes, appliances, hinged cabinets and shelves after dismantling leave holes in the wall, sometimes quite deep or through. If the hole can be “approached” only from one side, the work is carried out in the following sequence:
- Screw dowels and screws (4 pcs) inside the hole to prevent the brick from falling out on the opposite side.
- Place an appropriately sized brick inside the masonry cavity.
- Cover the space around the brick fragment with cement mortar.
- When the repaired area dries, puttying is performed on top, followed by sanding.
If the hole is through, it is filled with mortar on both sides.
Ways to seal holes in monolithic structures
In a concrete wall, holes appear for various reasons:
- A splinter or a hole can form accidentally if struck with a heavy object;
- from self-tapping screws and other fasteners can leave a small hole;
- The through holes are left behind after the removal of sockets and pipes.
If from inside the room such a defect spoils the appearance of the room, then outside the hole over time under the influences of the environment will begin to increase. It is therefore recommended that even small holes should be filled as soon as possible.
To seal a small damage in the concrete wall, it is necessary to perform preparatory actions, namely. enlarge it for ease of treatment with primer. A screwdriver or screws are used for this. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove cement dust from the hole.
How To Remove And Fill Drywall Anchor Holes | DIY Fast And Easy Repair For Beginners!
Processing the damage from the inside with a primer ensures high adhesion of concrete with plaster or cement putty. When the primer dries, the hole is filled with putty, the composition is leveled. After drying, the surface is sanded, removing irregularities. Ready smooth coating can be masked with any finishing material.
Sequence of sealing a crack in a concrete wall
Note! Often sealing defects in the walls is performed at the preparatory stage of damage to the cosmetic repair, after removing the old finish.
First, putty the damaged areas of the wall, and then to give the surface an even color and evenness, apply leveling putty to the entire area of the wall
If the damage to the concrete wall is large, you can not cope with “empty” putty. over time it will crack. Therefore, the sealing process is as follows:
- Of materials and tools you will need a mixture based on gypsum (for the premises) or cement mortar to repair the wall on the street side, plaster for finishing, trowel, sandpaper, container and mixer for preparing the mortar.
- The damaged area is cleaned from dirt and dusted, primed.
- If the size of the damaged area is less than 5 cm, building plaster or other repair compound can be used to fill it. If a cobweb of cracks appears on the surface of the dried mortar, the second plaster layer will help to get rid of them.
- If the size of the damaged area is more than 5 cm, a volumetric object of suitable size is placed inside to fill the depression as much as possible (stone, brick, a piece of foam plastic). Fill in the rest of the space with putty. A layer of putty is also applied on top, which is grinded after drying.
A through hole in the concrete wall, which remained after the removal of the pipe, is sealed on each side. Plaster or assembly foam can be used for this. The second method allows you to seal the hole qualitatively, to the full depth and quickly. The foam inside the hole expands and fills all the voids. After it has cured completely, the only thing left to do is to cut it off, cut it out a little. about 2 cm deep, and fill the hole with mortar. To make the surface smooth, it is recommended to use a cement-sand mixture, and on top of plaster, sanded after drying with a fine abrasive.
When using cement, the cavity of the hole is filled with stones, rags, foam plastic, so that the hole was tightly closed. Then cement mortar and filler are used to fill the voids.
Tips from the masters! The cloth can be soaked in cement mortar before placing it inside the hole. When it hardens, all that remains is to fill the resulting voids. Then they apply plaster and level the face layer for further finishing.
Common defects in concrete walls include cracks in the joint between the ceiling and the wall, deep interpanel joints and holes around heating pipes.
How to repair a plasterboard partition
Plasterboard inside the premises is used to build partitions, niches, make racks, screens for radiators. Damage such a construction is not difficult. a blow with a hard object provides a hole in the partition. Plugging an unplanned hole in a drywall construction is easy. There are two ways. The first involves making a separate piece of gypsum plasterboard, which corresponds to the size of the hole. The fragment is simply inserted into the hole, fixed with putty, then the repaired area is sanded and painted in the desired shade.
If the damage is small, such as from fasteners, you will need reinforcing mesh and putty to seal it.
Table. Repair of plasterboard partition wall
|Step 1||At the preparatory stage it is necessary to correct the edges of the damage in the plasterboard wall so that they take the correct geometric parameters. Depending on the nature of the damage, choose the shape of rectangle or square.|
|Step 2||On the surface of the wall with a pencil to draw the boundaries of the future hole. Trim off the excess.|
|Step 3||Cut a piece of gypsum board of the same shape and size as the hole. The element should be easily inserted into the hole with a minimum thickness of gaps around the perimeter.|
|Step 4||Then a filler plate must be made to which the new wall element will be attached. You can do it as shown on
Make a hole around the pipe
When replacing pipes. removing the old and laying new, in the wall are formed through holes of considerable size. They do not look aesthetically, reduce noise isolation of adjacent rooms, and if they border the apartment neighbors, then the privacy of. It is therefore imperative that such openings are sealed. But when it comes to heating pipes, there are some nuances to consider.
Do not grout the hole immediately with cement-sand mortar, fixing the pipes rigidly. Because of this they will lose their ability to move during thermal expansion. Tough metal pipes will start to erode the mortar from the inside, and soon you will need to reseal the hole. In this case, the pipes will be damaged, and their corrosion protection and service life will be reduced.
Through the hole can penetrate sounds, unpleasant smells and even insects
Rigidly fixed plastic pipes will deform, bend, and there is a risk they will burst, with serious consequences. Therefore, patching such a hole must be carried out taking into account the mobility of the pipes. For this purpose, it is possible to wrap them beforehand (before pouring the solution) with a self-made kapron cord (from old kapron tights) or make circular covers of foamed polyethylene. This will allow the tube material to expand by a couple of millimeters.
The choice of material (capron or polyethylene foam) is related to its neutrality. These materials are not afraid of mechanical stress, not rotting, not burning, not afraid of moisture and high temperatures.
Lining of pipes with polyethylene foam
For further patching the hole, an ordinary cement-sand mixture is used, which includes one part cement and three parts sand. For internal works construction gypsum is chosen. If the hole is large then it is pre-filled with stone, chipped brick, foam and other material that is not susceptible to rot.
For dilution of gypsum it is recommended to use an unnecessary container of plastic, after work it is easier to throw away than to wash from the hardened alabaster. When diluting it is not necessary to observe strictly the ratio of powder and water, the main thing is to get the necessary consistency. the solution must easily fill the hole and at the same time not leak.
Small holes in the wall remain after fixing. nails, screws. They are detected during repair and require obligatory filling in the process of walls’ leveling and preparing for wallpapering or coloring.
Before applying putty, the hole inside should be moistened with water from an atomizer to improve adhesion
When caulking such a hole, debris, dust, and remaining fasteners (or a fragment thereof) must be removed from it. Otherwise, putty in the hole will not hold because of poor adhesion to its inner surface.
Tip! If a plastic dowel remains in the hole, it can be removed with a self-tapping screw. It is screwed in so that it is held tightly inside the dowel, and then begin to swing it out. Hold the self-tapping screw with the pliers.
Then the hole is cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and filled with putty, pre-wetting the interior space with water from a sprayer.
Caulking the hole from the socket
During cosmetic repairs, it is often necessary to move the socket to a new location. After their dismantling, holes remain, for sealing which a mortar based on cement or gypsum is used. However, if the hole is large, the putty will crack over time.
The socket hole is often connected to the neighbor’s apartment
If the width of the hole is more than 50 mm, it is recommended to fill it with a large object. a stone or Styrofoam, so that there is as little space around it as possible. Place the repair compound in the cavities. Step by step, the process is as follows:
Hole in the wallpaper: how to disguise it
A common defect. a hole from the fasteners on the wallpaper. Small holes remain after removing a shelf or hinged cabinet, hanger, hook, bracket. To mask the hole, you can use a piece of wallpaper. The main thing is to “fit” the pattern.
Another option. stickers, which can be used to create decorative compositions.
When choosing a sticker, you must take into account the size of the hole, which it should cover, the stylistics of the interior, the purpose of the room (living room, nursery, kitchen) and the color scheme of the walls. It is better to buy self-adhesive products. The process of masking holes with stickers is as follows:
The technology of repair work depends on the size of the damage. So here’s how to fill small, large and through holes in concrete walls.