How to remove line from Patriot trimmer reel
How to wind line on a trimmer spool
Preparing to replace the line
Before replacing the line, you need to pull out and then disassemble the head. Usually it includes a casing, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a line, a cover. It is necessary to disconnect the electric trimmer from the mains (or turn off the petrol trimmer), and then proceed to remove the coil. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, it is necessary to completely disassemble the head, and in the second, just remove it from the gearbox shaft, on which it is attached.
find the latches on both sides, press and remove the cover to open the internal structure of the head;
there is a bobbin under the cover, it must be carefully pulled out of the case (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully removed to the side so as not to lose it);
- after removing the spool, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes noticeable in the center of the body, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners, it is necessary, holding by the housing, to remove the coil from the gearbox shaft with shaking movements.
The second method involves the following actions. The spool head is put on the gearbox shaft. To disconnect it, you need to lock this shaft. Usually in braids, for example, of the “Champion” or “Stihl” brand, a hole is made for this, into which a nail, rod or screwdriver is inserted. After fixing the shaft in a stationary position, it is necessary, holding by the body, to start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually left.
Now that the head has been removed and disassembled, it is necessary to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the correct diameter for your trimmer by looking at the owner’s manual or at the bobbin itself, usually this information is indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the shit goes without difficulty, it can be used for work.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before threading it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
It is interesting! The tooling can be changed directly on the tool, but if you are doing this for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head and study the detailed winding process. After the technology has been mastered, you can perform replacement work on a trimmer lawn mower or lawn mower.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand.
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but by slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- It is recommended to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
How to Remove Old Fishing Line Fast. Tackle Tip!
Technical properties of the cord and the choice of diameter according to the power of the trimmer
If you take a package of fishing line in your hands, then only two main parameters are indicated on it. these are the total length and section. There is no instruction on how to choose a trimmer line, so you have to ask a specialist. Finding a good specialist is not so easy, especially since every year not only new lines are produced, but also reels.
The first thing to decide is the diameter, thickness or section of the cord. All this is one parameter that characterizes the performance of work with trimmers, lawn mowers, lawn mowers and lawn mowers. What section should I buy for my trimmer? In order not to be mistaken, you should take a piece of the old cord with you and give it to the seller. Based on the segment provided by you, the seller will issue a similar section of the cord.
This option is certainly reliable, but it cannot be called correct. Why? After all, the choice of fishing line depends not only on the head used, but also on the power of the tool used. First, it is recommended to decide what diameter of line can be used on trimmers and lawn mowers, depending on their power parameters:
- Electric trimmers with a power rating of up to 500 W. cords with a cross section of up to 1.6 mm are used. These tools are designed for cutting young grass in backyard areas.
- Gasoline and electric units with power ratings from 500 to 1000 W. imply the use of cords with a thickness of 2 to 2.4 mm. Such units with consumables are used for cutting thin and thick grass, as well as weeds. In trimmers with a power of up to 1 kW, you can install a fishing line with a diameter of 1-1.6 mm, but it will wear out quickly
- Trimmers and lawn mowers with power ratings over 1 kW. allow the use of cord thickness from 2.4 to 3.3 mm. Such a fishing line can be used to cut off thick and dried stems, as well as dense thickets. If a consumable with a thickness of more than 3 mm does not cope with the task of cutting grass, then metal discs with blades, teeth and knives are used
It is interesting! Manufacturers produce trimmer line with a diameter of more than 3.3 mm, only it is used extremely rarely, and only on powerful gasoline units.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the consumption of fuel or energy increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). It is necessary to ensure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
Now you need to load the spool with fishing line.
It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. When winding the thread, follow these grooves, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged.
At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
When the user winds almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Typically this length is between 1 and 4 meters.
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass
The advantage of a tool with a line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the bend into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the fishing line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!