How to Remove the Clamping Mechanism of a Reciprocating Saw
How to thread a water pipe: an overview of methods
Do you like to do home improvement work yourself, without involving various craftsmen for this? Self-installation or repair not only saves money on the call of specialists, but also greatly enhances self-esteem, right?
In the process of installing communications, it is often necessary to prepare threads on pipes. We have to find ways not to spoil the product.
We will tell you how to cut threads using different tools, which method is preferable to use in a given situation. The article describes the methods available for implementation by an unskilled performer. The features of threading of various types of thread and the equipment used in this process are highlighted.
The stated material is equipped with visual photographs depicting tools for performing work. A with recommendations will help to understand in detail all the intricacies of this process.
Pipe thread classification
The term “pipe” has a privileged position in the field of plumbing. This term is classified with an eye on a group of standards that define the criteria for connecting various elements of sanitary structures.
Pipe threads are widely used in water supply and sewer systems, therefore the practice of cutting, manually or automatically, is often an activity
For example, the size of a pipe thread is indicated by a numerical value indicating the standard pipe bore, but not the physical diameter of the thread.
In practice, pipe threads are used:
- Cylindrical (G / bspp),
- Conical (R / BSPT),
- Round under locking sanitary fittings (Kr),
- Inch cylindrical (American standard Npsm),
- Inch cone (American standard NPT)
It is recommended that the locksmith, whose main working area is household, is to take as a basis the conditional division of pipe thread into two main types:
- Cylindrical (G),
- Conical (R)
It is with these two types that the home locksmith, who is serving domestic plumbing equipment, and laying water supply or heating pipes, is most often faced.
Pipe cutting is carried out in the following cases:
Basic cutting methods
You can cut threads on pipes in one of two ways:
- Automatic. On machine tools, power tools;
- Manually. Using a hand tool.
For living conditions, of course, manual technology is more relevant. Manual threading of water pipes or other pipes is often done using a die.
One-piece dies for pipe threads made of strong alloy steel are available with a case diameter of up to 65 mm. Dies with a case diameter of up to 120 mm are produced for metric threads. On the case of metric products there is a symbol “M”
The die is a simple device for threading pipes at home. The same tool is successfully used on industrial machines.
The fixture looks like a disk, on the inner diameter of which several axial holes are drilled. The edges of these holes form several incisors (usually 8-10). The material for the dies is alloy steel or other hard alloys.
There are several types of such devices:
- Spring loaded (split);
- Kluppovye (sliding).
According to the form of execution, the die is produced in the form of a circle, square, hexagon, prism. The most common disc (round) tools. They are used for threading water pipes up to a diameter of 36 mm.
For the convenience of working with dies, use:
- Simple gates with fixing screws. Hand tools;
- Threading chucks on lathes.
Solid threads (metric, tapered) of the best quality on pipes in manual operation mode or on machines give.
However, this type of tool due to the rigidity of its own design has its negative sides. Cutters wear out quickly.
A spring-loaded tool for threading is distinguished by the presence of a cut in the region of one of the axial holes.
The presence of a cut reduces the load on the cutters, but at the same time, the degree of rigidity required to achieve high cutting quality indicators is also reduced.
Spring-loaded (split) dies have a design less rigid, which makes it possible to cut the thread on the pipes and at the same time change the diameter of the thread in the range of 0.1-0.3 mm.
Such devices are characterized by increased wear resistance of the cutters, but do not provide high accuracy and purity of thread cutting.
Sliding dies consist of two working parts. They are intended for installation in the mounting module. Screwdriver.
Mounting in the die is carried out by a mechanism consisting of a cracker and an adjusting screw. The screw adjusts the diameter size for threading. Usually, a screwdriver is equipped with a set of dies for several different diameters.
Method # 1. Making pipe threads with dies
The process of creating a thread on a pipe with a die or a screwdriver involves the execution of some preliminary actions by a mechanic:
- The pipe surface in the cutting area must be carefully cleaned.
- The end part of the pipe should be filed (make the input chamfer).
- Apply grease to the work surface to reduce resistance.
If possible, it is desirable to fix the pipe vertically, for example, in a bench vise, leaving free access to the upper part. The area of the cut. The fastener force should be correctly calculated so as not to deform the pipe body.
Then they take a pre-prepared head with a rough die (No. 1) of the desired diameter and suitable thread characteristics.
An example of threading a water pipe using a hand winder.
A die is inserted inside the working cylinder of the winch and fixed with two (four) bolts located opposite each other
The tool is held horizontally. Perpendicularly with respect to the end region of the pipe.
Put the rough die on the chamfer of the edge with the inner hole. Light pressure and successive short turns of 25-30 ° make the initial incision.
This work should be done carefully, without rushing, constantly monitoring the right angle between the die horizon and the pipe vertical.
The first two or three threads are carefully cut using this technique. Usually, after cutting the first two or three threads, the tool firmly occupies the working position. Further, the right angle can no longer be controlled.
But cutting technology with short (without particularly strong traction) circular motions should be maintained until the end of the cut. It is recommended to periodically add grease at the cutting point.
After the first pass, twist the device and then repeat one or two more times with a finishing die (No. 2).
Method # 2. Chopping technique
Klupp is a variation of the same die for threading, including on pipes. A distinctive feature of the klupp is the ability to customize the incisors.
A set of screwdrivers for different sizes of pipe threads. Each of these devices is equipped with screws for fastening blocks with cutters. With these screws you can additionally change the size of the thread diameter within small limits.
There are klupps for manual use, as well as similar devices with electric drive.
Option # 1. Manual cutter cut. Manual pipe cutting, as a rule, is carried out by a screwdriver, which is installed in the ratchet holder. Such a holder makes the work of cutting pipe threads convenient and less complicated.
Of course, depending on the conditions for performing locksmith work, other types of hand holders can be used. For example, a standard two-handle locking knob.
The principle of creating a screw thread is almost the same as the method of working with traditional dies:
- Clean the working surface of the pipe, make sure that there are no defects.
- Sand the cut to a look with a pronounced metallic sheen.
- Treat the outer working part of the end edge at an angle of 45-60º (chamfer).
- Lubricate the prepared surface with petroleum jelly.
- Secure the pipe in a mechanical vice or hold it with a gas wrench.
After these procedures, the cutting tool (screw die) is inserted with an internal hole on the chamfer of the pipe and with moderate uniform pressure they begin to rotate it with short reciprocating movements.
Convenient equipment for working with a screwdriver is considered to be the so-called “ratchet”. A lever with reverse idle speed.
Using such a hand tool, it is easy to cut the thread on the pipe in different conditions of installation or repair
If a clamp-ratchet is used as a holder, only straight-forward cutting is carried out. It should be noted the ease of use of the ratchet-clamp when working in cramped conditions.
For example, when you need to process a pipe laid in close proximity to a wall.
Option # 2. Cutting with an electric die. Along with hand tools, devices with an electric drive are widely used. An obvious advantage for a locksmith is a significant reduction in labor intensity.
But on the other hand, not all electric machines are able to provide work in cramped conditions. In addition, when working with a hand tool, it is possible to get a better result.
To obtain a similar result from electric screwdrivers, a wealth of experience with this tool is required.
Accessories for the screwdriver, complemented by an electric drive. A modern effective tool that significantly reduces the physical loads of a locksmith. True, an electric screwdriver is more often used in the professional field than in everyday life.
Work with an electric switch:
- Pipe surface preparation in the cutting area. Cleaning, chamfer, lubrication.
- Fixture of the pipe with devices capable of providing rigid fixation.
- Fixing at the starting point of the die holder with the clamp included in the kit.
- Checking the stroke and direction of rotation of the die.
- Cutting the first two or three turns in the jog feed mode.
Next, the pipe thread is cut in automatic mode. The length of the cut is considered optimal when the upper edge of the cutting heads of the die reaches the leading edge of the pipe.
At this point, the action of the device is stopped, the function of reverse rotation is turned on, and the bug is twisted from the pipe by push feeding. Be sure to periodically wet the cut area with oil throughout the entire process.
Method # 3. Using lathes
Large-scale construction and repair work, as a rule, exclude the use of hand tools. Here, lathes are usually used for appropriate pipe processing.
Thread-cutting functions are supported by many universal-action lathes.
For the manufacture of threaded parts on pipes of different diameters, lathes are used.
On a lathe, you can make threads of any configuration
Using machines, both internal and external pipe threads are efficiently and easily made.
The fastening pneumatic (or mechanical) module of the lathe provides high-quality reliable fastening of the pipe, and an accurate supply of the machined part to the cutter.
To perform thread-cutting functions, different types of cutters are used:
Work on lathes is carried out by specialists trained in such a case, having the appropriate qualifications. Without experience and professional skills, trying to thread with your own hands on the machine is not recommended.
The following tips will help the home craftsmen who decide to do plumbing and carving on metal workpieces:
A few words about GOST pipe thread
In working with gaseous and liquid media, according to GOST 6111, if it is necessary to introduce detachable connections in piping schemes, the manufacture of such connections on a threaded basis is allowed.
It is possible to design not only pipe but also tapered threads (GOST 3662)
An example of the production of a tapered pipe thread on a process adapter. Such techniques are often used in plumbing. In terms of performance conical thread stands out for the better relative to other types
Despite the rare use of tapered threads in pipe joints, it is considered more convenient in terms of screwing / screwing characteristics.
It should be recalled that the taper angle of the tapered thread is directly related to parameters such as pitch and diameter. The permissible value of this angle may not be less than 26 °. The standard value of the angle of the tip of the profile on a tapered thread is 60 °.
Pipe threads are distinguished by a characteristic feature. They have a rounded profile top. Subject to cutting standards, the value of the rounding is 10% of the size of the radius of the thread.
With this cutting technology, it is possible to achieve a significant reduction in internal stresses over a small area of metal occupied by a threaded profile.
Established tolerances GOST 6357, Along with cylindrical and conical threads, metric threads are provided for pipes.
Here, the standard angle of inclination is 55 °, which is due to the increase in the number of turns in the section along the length equal to the section with a different type of thread.
The result is a compound with a higher degree of tightness, but the complexity of using such compounds increases.
Metric thread and full technical alignment according to standard parameters.
For metric threads, the unit used is millimeter, while pipe is usually measured in inches.
Existing GOST installations also provide for the possibility of execution of persistent and trapezoidal threads on pipes. But in practice, these types of cuts are not used because of their low operational strength.
In plumbing works, different methods of connecting pipes are used. The choice of method largely depends on the material of the pipeline and its “zone of responsibility”. Threaded docking of parts is recommended for use in areas accessible for periodic inspection.
Information on alternative pipe connection methods is provided in the articles:
Conclusions and useful on the topic
All the nuances of pipe threading in one:
Knowledge of the creation, operation, maintenance of threaded joints on pipes is always relevant for every person who is engaged in household, plumbing, and other utilities.
Without this information, it is impossible to make high-quality repairs, upgrade piping systems, and simply maintain the operation of household economic systems.
Have something to supplement, or have questions about threading pipes? Please leave comments on the publication, suggest your own methods and effective tools for creating threads. The contact form is located in the lower block.
Pipe threading rules. Possible options
To assemble modern pipelines, plastic or metal pipes can be used, and a welding machine is used to connect the plastic pipes. As for metal products, their assembly provides for threaded fittings: this ensures maximum bond strength. To implement this method, the thread will need to be cut on the pipes themselves.
What tool is needed
Tapping on pipes will require the following devices:
- Roulette, pencil, vernier caliper. To assemble the pipeline, it is necessary to develop a scheme in advance. First, a pipe with the specified length is taken: the marking is done with a tape measure and a pencil. A caliper measures the diameter and selects suitable devices. When marking, it is important to observe considerable accuracy and accuracy, since any deviation from a given size leads to a violation of the correctness of the entire structure. As a result, in such cases it is often necessary to redo the entire pipeline.
- Angle Grinder. Using this tool, pipes are cut according to the marks applied. The same functions can be performed by a simple hacksaw for metal.
- Vise. During operation, the pipe must be firmly fixed in a strictly horizontal position.
- Engine oil or other lubricant. To facilitate manual threading, lubrication of the tool and the treated area with a special substance is practiced.
- Thread cutting tools. Pipe threads can be cut with a die, die or tap. Which tool to use depends on the type of thread being cut and the preferences of the performer. The external thread is cut with a die, the holding of which is carried out by a screwdriver or die holder. To apply the internal thread you will need taps.
How to cut pipe thread in the home?
Self-tapping starts with a number of preparatory measures:
- Cutting a piece of pipe to size. When replacing a damaged section of a pipeline, the first thing to do is to carefully cut this section in a direction strictly perpendicular to the wall. If this condition is not met.
- Threaded area cleaning. From the place where the thread will be cut, it is necessary to completely remove all the paint and corrosion: if this is not done, work can be clearly difficult.
- Chamfering. To make work easier, the chamfer must be removed from the ends of the pipe.
Thread cutting with screwdriver
Klupp is used for cutting external threads, which will require the following operations:
- Choose a screw die with the right diameter. To conduct the selection correctly, you must always check the caliper.
- Lubricate the internal cavity of the die and the prepared area on the pipe with machine oil.
Water pipe threading tool
Any repair or replacement of an existing pipeline involves a tie-in to the trunk.
Welding is suitable only for metal pipes, while it is impossible to use this method to connect them to plastic products.
In addition, during installation, shutoff valves are used, which are fastened with a threaded connection. To create it, you need to know how to cut the thread on the pipe and with what devices.
There are several types of tools for threading.
Thread cutting. Necessary concepts
This process is the processing of a rod or hole using a special tool for threading pipes to obtain external or internal alternating protrusions-turns and spiral grooves.
The main characteristics of the thread are:
- Step. This is the distance between the tops or bases of adjacent turns;
- Profile. The cross section at the turn can be trapezoidal, triangular, rectangular, etc. The details of the sanitary systems use an exclusively triangular profile;
- Profile angle. It is formed by the intersecting sides (side faces) of the turns;
- Depth. This is the distance from the top to the base of the thread;
- Outer, middle and inner diameters.
How to Remove the Clamping Mechanism of a Reciprocating Saw
The outer is equal to the distance between the points of two opposite sides of the thread. The average diameter ˗ is the distance between the top and base of the profiles that are on opposite sides of the part. The inner represents the distance between opposing depressions.
Any thread has its own technical characteristics.
Types of thread on pipes
Although the threading procedure on a water pipe cannot be called complicated, to heed some tips would be by no means superfluous. The ability to distinguish between left and right threads, and inch from metric, will also not hurt.
With the left thread, the nut is screwed counterclockwise onto the bolt. If the thread is right, the nut is screwed clockwise onto the bolt.
Metric threads are characterized in that:
- Geometric dimensions of parts are measured in millimeters;
- Profile view. Equilateral triangle;
- Has a smaller step.
Features inch thread is:
- Unit for measuring the geometric dimensions of parts. Inches;
- Has the form of an isosceles triangle profile with an angle of 55 degrees at the apex;
- Has a bigger step. This feature means that the inch thread profile is larger and the bond strength is higher.
All types of threads are used in certain cases. But it is worth noting that the right one is found literally at every step, but the left one is much less common.
To properly thread, you need to know how they differ from each other
Tool and rules for threading pipes
Of course, in order to perform this procedure, a pipe cutting tool is indispensable. In the field of trade, it is usually called a pipe threading set.
In addition to dies or kloppov, the set includes a holder (with or without a ratchet), as well as a number of other additional tools, such as pliers, clamps, etc.
The requirements for the process of threading pipes manually are formulated as follows:
- Mandatory pipe preparation. It is necessary to remove dirt, rust and paint from the place of future thread. The surface should be cleaned to metal.;
- The process of threading on pipes should be accompanied by lubrication of their working surfaces and the cutters of the tool used. A die or screw die. For this, a grease is used, which is a special fluid. It is applied both before and during the threading process on the pipe;
- At the end of the product, it is first necessary to remove the external chamfer;
- Work should only be carried out with a sharp and serviceable tool for threading water pipes.
In addition to technology, it is important to know the subtleties of choosing a tool.
When cutting threads, technology must be strictly adhered to.
The thread-cutting tool is not only the aforementioned dies and screwdrivers, but also taps. With the help of the latter, an internal thread is created by cutting chip flutes. But there is one caveat. For threading on a pipe, it is necessary to use a set of two taps that differ in the depth of penetration:
- For rough work. No. 1;
- For finishing work. No. 2.
Pipe dies are:
Another tool. Screwdriver. Has a guide in its design. It serves to center the cylinder with cutters along the pipe.
At the same time, knowledge alone of what cuts a thread on a water pipe is not enough. It is necessary to find out the requirements of GOST for the size of the pipe thread, and already in accordance with its pitch and diameter, select a set of threading tools. These data are presented in the table below.
Manual pipe threading steps
As mentioned above, this operation is performed using a die, screwdriver or tap. The choice of kit for threading pipes depends on many factors. But, first of all, it depends on which thread you need to create. External or internal. For more specifics, consider how to thread a stainless steel pipe manually using a die.
Cut the part of the stainless pipe on which the old thread is present. It is impractical to restore it, since it will be impossible to achieve complete tightness of the connection and, therefore, leaks will occur in this place. When doing this manually, pay particular attention to the cut. It should be strictly perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the pipe.
To facilitate the winding of the die, remove the chamfer from the end of the pipe. To ensure better glide, oil the place of future threads. Next, start the actual threading of the pipe thread. After a certain number of turns, the die should be scrolled in the opposite direction.
It is easy to cut an external thread with a die
Upon completion of pipe threading, remove metal filings from the newly created joint. To check the correctness of the work, wind the object to be installed on the pipe.
So you will find out the correctness of using the selected die for threading pipes, as well as whether there are enough turns.
If the test is successful, seal the connection and proceed with the installation of the plumbing system.
Some features of this tool used for threading pipes were mentioned above. But ease of use ˗ this is far from the only advantage of such a set.
So, for example, knowing in practice how to cut a thread on a pipe using a die, you can easily cope with this task using a screwdriver.
Among other advantages, it is worth highlighting the purity of the resulting thread, the simplicity of the screw die design, the ability to quickly replace die cutters and low weight.
The following factor deserves special attention. For the manufacture of dies, expensive tool steel is used.
But after all, only cutters that actually perform the main work should have increased strength! The lack of expensive non-functional parts causes a reduction in the price of a set of screwdrivers and, accordingly, reduces the cost of the threading process on a stainless pipe. Therefore, home craftsmen who know how to count money give preference to just such an instrument.
The use of a screwdriver will greatly facilitate the task of threading
These products are sold with a set of dies for threading pipes with diameters of 50, 38, 32, 25, 20 and 15 mm. Each of them is indicated by the number 1, 2, 3, or 4.
All slots on the klopp body also have numbers corresponding to the cutter dies, with the help of which threading will be performed on the pipe.
To increase the efficiency of work in hard-to-reach places, it is recommended to purchase special equipment together with a hob.
Today on the market you can find such a tool with electric and manual drive. Therefore, the question may arise as to how the thread on the pipe is cut more efficiently.
Professional locksmiths, who certainly know how to thread a pipe, prefer electric screwdrivers. But such devices cost more. Therefore, if you plan to carry out a single threading into a pipe, it is more profitable to purchase a tool kit with a manual drive.
How to cut a thread on a heating pipe
Home »Heating» How to cut a thread on a heating pipe
Currently, plastic or metal pipes are mainly used for laying water systems.
Plastic products are interconnected, as a rule, by a welding method (for this purpose a special welding machine is used).
Metal pipes are joined by threaded fittings, in this case, the pairing is obtained, as strong as possible.
Not many people thought about how to connect the water supply to a private house.
- Cranes and other components.
All this is assembled into a single system through threaded connections.
So that the process of replacing the old part with a new one does not take much time, and there is a thread.
Sometimes you have to deal with such cases when you yourself have to change a worn element (for example, a pipe), and there are no grooves on it.
What to do in this case?
The way out of this situation is very simple. Cut the threads with your own hands. The ideal option is when you have the opportunity to use a lathe.
But not every home master has such equipment.
It is expensive, and in order to use it, you need to have certain experience and skills.
Do you know the price of installing heating batteries in an apartment? The approximate cost of aluminum, bimetallic and cast-iron radiators for heating a living area is indicated in a useful article.
Find out what can be glued with silicone sealant on this page.
If you need to equip a pipe with a thread, for example, to connect a membrane tank for water supply (written here), you can use one of two types of devices designed for cutting grooves:
- Threading lerka,
- Pipe wrench.
With this tool, threads are cut in water and sewer pipes (why do you need a water seal read here), which are used in engineering networks of multi-storey buildings and private buildings.
Note! If you have no experience in this matter, then it will be very difficult for you to work with the ler. Since even a minimal distortion of the tool will invariably lead to the formation of a defect.
In this case, it is best to use a handle, the cutting process with its help is simplified by the presence in the design of such an important part as a guide.
In order not to spoil the water pipe, to acquire a certain skill, practice on an unnecessary piece of a hollow object.
Now let’s try to refresh in our memory what the process of threading is:
- When applying grooves to the pipes, a helical surface is formed on the outside of the hollow object;
- A helical plane plays the role of a connecting element, which is measuredly rotated around the axis of the drive;
- The thread pitch corresponds to one full thread.
In order for the place of connection of the water pipes to be waterproof, durable, and the unit can withstand high pressure in the system, it is necessary to cut the thread so that the step exactly matches the step of the connecting parts.
Tools used for this purpose
Before you begin to work, you need to make sure that you have at hand all the necessary devices.
First of all, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the pipe from rust and residual old paint.
From the end surface of the pipe you need to remove the lead-in part of the thread.
It is imperative to know! The tool for work must be of high quality.
Do you know why you need a casing for a well? In a useful article, it is written about the rules for drilling at a personal plot.
How to push the air plug in the heating system read here.
On the page: http://ru-canalizator.com/santehnika/s-oborudovanie/kosvennye.html it is written about the manufacture of indirect-heating boilers from stainless steel with their own hands.
There is one more thing to consider:
- Do not forget to purchase grease for more productive operation of the cutting device and chip removal.
The list of tools without which you can not cope with this work:
- A pencil or piece of chalk
Installation of the pipeline should take place according to pre-prepared drawings. The first thing to do is prepare the pipes.
Their length should correspond to the parameters indicated on the heating and water supply scheme of a private house (written here).
Roulette and pencil are necessary for marking.
Without a caliper, you will not be able to correctly determine the cross-section of the pipes and accurately select the tool.
It is necessary to put marks on pipes, extremely, accurately and, as much as possible, carefully.
If you make even the slightest error in the measurements, the device will turn out to be wrong, and as a result you will have to make a new design.
Angle grinder or hacksaw for metal.
With these devices, pipes are cut according to the markings applied earlier.
Important condition! A slice with respect to the pipe walls should be strictly perpendicular. Otherwise, the threaded connection, for example, when connecting the circulation pump to the heating system, will not be tight.
The device for clamping and holding the item during processing is a vise. With their help, you can cut the pipe as smoothly as possible.
Material for lubrication (it may be engine oil).
When cutting a hollow object manually, you can greatly facilitate your work. To do this, you need to end the pipe and grease the tool with a special compound.
You need glasses to protect your eyes.
When cutting grooves, metal chips are formed. Once in the eyes, it can severely damage them.
A tool intended directly for applying to thread pipes:
In order not to make a mistake in choosing the right device, you must take the type of thread as a basis and rely on the preferences of the master.
The external thread is applied using a die, and the internal thread is tapped.
How to make a clapper
The process should occur according to the following structural diagram.
- It is necessary to choose a lerka of suitable section. For error-free selection of equipment, it is necessary to use a caliper.
- The prepared section of the pipe and the inner surface of the handle should be lubricated with machine oil.
- A screw die is inserted into the metal pipe, a holder is used for this (it is included in the kit for cutting grooves on the pipes).
- If you are carrying out the initial assembly of the pipeline or decided to install a tap for the drinking water filter (written here), then the hollow object should be fixed in a vice. This will facilitate the work.
During the reconstruction of the water main, threading is carried out directly on the installed pipe.
After all the preparatory measures are completed, it is necessary to introduce a tap of the corresponding diameter into the pipe opening, and then rotate its base clockwise.
For this purpose, use the handle, which is included in the tool kit.
Chips are formed in the grooves and must be removed.
Around the pipe, you need to make several turns, and then take the device 90 degrees in the opposite direction.
At the end of the work, the remaining oil should be wiped with a clean rag.
Dice groove cutting
This type of device for applying thread is:
- Round configuration. In order to cut threads into pipes of various sections, dies of excellent size are used;
- Sliding. They use such a part to cut grooves on hollow objects of different diameters. They work with a sliding die using a special holder.
This model of tool is used more often. The reason is the low cost of the product.
Before starting work, using a die (lehrka), it is necessary, using the method described above, to prepare the pipe.
Only after that it is worth going to the procedure according to this scheme:
- Choose a fixture of the appropriate diameter (use a caliper for this).
- Then we lubricate the surface of the product and the inside of the die with any lubricant.
- The next step is to firmly fix the lehr in a vise.
If you do not use the holder, the thread will not turn out straight, and this may cause a leak at the interface.
We rotate the ram holder in the desired direction.
After making a few turns, you need to remove the chips.
To do this, the device is rotated in the opposite direction.
At the first stage, they use draft lehrs (they clearly cut through the pipe).
But with their help you will not be able to achieve the maximum accuracy of the thread. The final cutting is done by means of finishing lehki.
Cut the internal thread
What do I need to do.
Carefully prepare the opening. The hole must be clean, free of foreign coatings and deposits.
Then, it must be lubricated.
Remember that you must strictly observe the vertical position of the threaded fixture.
Turn the tap clockwise.
It’s important to know! The manufacturer must affix a mark on each die.
It stipulates all the dimensions of the grooves that can be cut using this tool.
Before you start work (for a on how to lay sewer pipes in different ways, see here), you should carefully study these data.
If you need to thread a stainless steel pipe, you have to work a little more.
Since stainless steel is a very hard material, the task is significantly complicated.
In this case, you have to buy a die corresponding to the steel grade.
For this purpose, lerks with branding. P9 are suitable.
An important point! If the die is not selected correctly, then, in the end, you can remain not only without a thread, but also without a tool.
The underlying causes of marriage
No one is safe from the fact that the result of your work will be a marriage.
What could be the reason for its occurrence?
- Mismatch of the cross-section of the holes or rods of the cut grooves.
- Use of a poor quality tool (blunt or improperly centered).
- Do not use lubricants during operation.
- Lack of professional skill.
There is nothing difficult in that, independently, to cut the thread on the pipe.
There are no tricks in this.
The main thing is to have a special tool at your disposal.
Perform all actions carefully and slowly. And what else should not be forgotten:
- In order for you to succeed, you need to have desire, and skill is a matter of gain.
You can do any homework on your own, the main thing is to find the right approach to it. So you can save money from the family budget.
A master class from a home master who first took up threading on a pipe. Watch the.
How to thread a pipe
Today, home craftsmen do not think so often about how to cut a thread on a pipe. Most projects are implemented using alternative materials. But such a need sometimes arises. Thanks to the basic skills, it will be possible to independently carry out simple repairs at home or in other conditions.
A threaded connection is indispensable if it is necessary to install a stop valve, adapter tee or sleeve on a metal pipe. Very often the joints become unusable, and they have to be redone. The thread is characterized by:
- Profile angle;
What thread can be
Depending on the profile and step, the thread is distinguished:
- Inch. It has the shape of a triangle. It got its name thanks to the units in which the outer diameter is measured. It is used in the assembly of water and heating parts. Conventionally emit pipe and mounting. The second has a larger step to provide better fixation.
- Conical. The main application of this type is to ensure that the connection is tight without the use of various sealing materials.
- Cylindrical. This is a kind of inch thread with a finer pitch. The upper edge of the profile is smoothed and resembles a part of the cylinder. Typically, the thread pitch is the same as the inch for suitable diameter parts.
- Trapezoidal. It has an apex angle of 30 °. Most often used in bolted joints to give greater reliability during fixation. Carving, the sides of the turn of which resemble an isosceles trapezoid, is called persistent.
- Rectangular It is used for the same purposes as the previous view.
At the location of the cut, there are:
Each of these species requires an individual approach and is designed for specific purposes.
The quality of the final product depends on how responsibly this stage is completed.
- The tool by which the work will be carried out must be in good condition. It should not be rust. For this, during prolonged storage, it is covered with preservative grease. Cutter incisors should be well sharpened.
- If the pipe was already in operation and has paint on it, then it must be cleaned well. This is done with a file, an angle grinder and a grinding wheel, sandpaper or a building hair dryer.
- Using an angle grinder or hacksaw, the end plane is displayed. To do this, cut a small piece to get a right angle relative to the axis.
- The burrs are removed with a file.
- The chamfer is removed so as to create a small cone.
All work is done with a die or a reference. These are identical concepts and are synonyms. Depending on the design, they can be:
- Adjustable or sliding. Usually they have several incisors, the distance between which can be changed. They are especially useful in cases where the profile of the pipe is uneven due to deformation or factory defects, but you still need to cut the thread. Most often, they are installed in klupps, which provide them with a good fixation. Using such products, the thread can be cut in several passes, which increases its accuracy and quality.
- Monolithic. They are a small cylinder with a hole in the middle. Such a tool is clamped into a special die holder. It is usually fixed with one or more bolts. This tool is used for cutting in one pass.
- Conical. Designed for cutting the corresponding threads mentioned above.
The lerka is selected depending on what diameter of the processed pipe, and also what direction of a carving should be. Right or left. All designations are applied to the packaging or directly to the tool itself. The whole process will be reduced to the following actions:
- The workpiece is fixed. If it is not fixed in any system, then it is clamped in a vice. In the case when the cutting will be done on a water pipe or heating pipe, it is necessary to make linings to immobilize it.
- The end of the prepared pipe section is lubricated with machine oil or solid oil. If these components are not, then you can use what is at hand. Even fat.
- The surface of the tool cutters is also lubricated.
- The die holder with the handle is brought to the end of the pipe. This must be done exactly at right angles. This is made much easier with a slide holder with a guide.
- At the same time, it is necessary to rotate the threading tool and press it against the nozzle. Clutch must occur. Thus, it is important to cut the first 2 turns.
- If you do not use a ram holder with a guide, you will need to constantly ensure that the angle remains 90 °. If you do not comply with this requirement, then skew can go. This threatens that the thread will be torn off, the tool damaged, or the required step will not be followed.
- Do not cut continuously. In the process, metal chips will form. In order to remove it, it is necessary to make one revolution in the direction of movement and half a revolution back. It is because of this that the accumulated waste will be removed.
- As you progress, you also need to add grease.
- After completion, you need to unscrew the lehr and walk it again to make the final eyeliner.
Dies for threadingSet of screwdrivers
Thread cutting with a screwdriver occurs according to the same mechanism. In addition to everything, in some products it is possible not only to move the cutters, but also to deploy them. In this scenario, you can use the same tool to complete the final and rough pass.
When using such an aggregate, it is necessary to be very careful during the initial stage. This is due to the fact that thanks to the handle with a ratchet, it is possible to apply a greater force than in the case of a conventional holder of a lerk.
If at the very beginning you do not set the angle correctly, then you can spoil the entire workpiece and not notice it. Klupp is inconvenient to use in cases where the pipe is already installed and is close to the wall.
It will either need to be bent with a wedge or hollow out part of the plaster so that the nozzle fits well and does not move.
Using an electric tool
The electric thread cutter can carry out the planned work several times faster, and the quality of the final product will be much higher. The sequence of work will be as follows:
- The pipe is cut to the required size. The most acceptable result is obtained when using a reciprocating saw with a guide.
- The chamfer, as for the lerka, is not necessary to remove. By the way, this rule is also relevant when using a manual screwdriver.
- A special holder is put on the nozzle. He acts as a guide. It is important to clamp it well.
- The power tool is brought in and inserted into the holder holder. Klupp puts on the pipe.
- Lubrication is carried out using a special composition.
- Further, the unit does everything automatically.
There are times when it is necessary to cut the internal thread in the pipe to assemble the structure. For such purposes, a completely different tool is used. A tap. It is a small metal pin, at one end of which there are external incisors. In order for everything to be correct, you must follow these steps:
- Using a caliper, the inside diameter of the nozzle is measured.
- Exactly for this value, the corresponding tap is selected.
- Using a file removes all burrs.
- The surface is treated with a metal brush.
- The tap number 1 is clamped in the holder and inserted into the pipe. It will remove 70% of the material in the passage. The remaining 30% is removed with a tapping tap at number 2.
- In order to remove chips along the way, the same rule applies as in the case of the lerk.
- If the thread needs to be cut in one of the pipe walls, then a hole is drilled with a drill. The drill should be clearly perpendicular. This is important, because otherwise you will not get a good cut.
There are some secrets that have been developed over the years and are rarely talked about. Here are a few of them:
- To ease your task when using ordinary leraki you can use a special guide. It is a small clamping mechanism with a thread on the end. It must be inserted into the middle of the pipe all the way into the side and unclench the jaws. The die is screwed onto the thread of the retainer and then runs smoothly and precisely through the pipe.
- As a lubricant, some masters recommend using a dishwashing detergent. No matter how absurd it may sound, but it provides excellent passage, while the chips are not torn, but solid, which indicates the best quality of the work done.
- If it is planned to install a brass valve on a steel pipe, it is necessary to cut the thread so that when screwing the locking mechanism, 4–5 turns are obtained. This will guarantee a good fit and long service life.
- The device is such that the thread turns out a little under the cone, that is, the last turns are obtained with less depth than the first. In this case, the carriages are not fully wound up. To compensate for such a divergence, it is necessary after the klopp to walk with an ordinary lerka.
- There are situations when the thread must be cut into a pipe that exits the wall a short distance. In this case, you can use the lerka, or cut the guide kluppa. This will not affect performance, but will provide greater convenience.
- When replacing incisors in the die plate, be sure to follow the sequence in which they should be installed. Most often they are marked with numbers that correspond to the receiver.
- If the thread must be cut on a pipe that is recessed into the wall, then you need to do this. Around the nozzle a small area is knocked out to fit the die. You can rotate the cutting mechanism using the T-shaped handle. A hex head is put on its end, in which slots are made. It is selected in such a way as to enter through the external hole of the screwdriver and cling to the space between the incisors.
Using the listed methods and methods, you will definitely get an excellent result, which you will achieve with your own hands. If you know some secrets about where to cut the thread and how best to do it, share them in the comments to this article.
The technology of threading on a metal pipe is demonstrated below: