How to remove the mowing head from the Stihl trimmer
We carry out the winding of the fishing line
Sluggishly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the fishing line into the spool. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Coil with two working tendrils
In this type of spool, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
- one groove. both antennae are wound together in one groove;
- two grooves. each antenna is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod side. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct direction of winding. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through them or held with the fingers of the free hand, they are threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference between the line winding in two-groove spools is that initially a 2-5 m long line segment is folded in half (to determine the middle bend), and the bend loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each along its own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above option with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure, perhaps, will seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to thread the line into the trimmer spool and wind it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience it will certainly be crowned with success:
First of all, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electric trimmers with a working position of the engine and spools at the bottom, as a rule, have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and is not lost;
- electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with a special wing: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and rotate the locking reel on the bar with the wing nut counterclockwise with the other. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- electric and gasoline trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To keep the rod stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual position is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body is scrolled clockwise (with a left-hand thread) and removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is unscrewed, in coils with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
We carry out the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Coil with one working tendril
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the reel and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2. 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the opposite direction of the spool rotation on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inner side of the reel, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
How to correctly replace the line in the mowing head, reel of STIHL FS 55 lawn mowers
How to put line in the Stihl.FS-38 mower
took out the mower from the barn, but there was no line in it, I had to put the line and on the occasion took off a small
How to change the line on the trimmer
Below we have provided step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer thread.
The first thing to do is to unplug the tool and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done using a simple screwdriver and dropping it into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew
They are usually unscrewed in a clockwise direction, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may have to be turned in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason, you cannot figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it.
Second. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of clamps that are located opposite each other. By pressing on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the spool on which the line is wound. By pulling it out, you can determine what type it belongs to. There are one-piece and two-piece bobbins
We analyze how to thread the line into the trimmer spool in two versions
So, there is only one option. we load the line into a single-section reel. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of winding, do not forget to make sure that different ends of the thread are looking in different directions.
Stihl Line Trimmer– How to Quickly Exchange the Head in 20 seconds.
Option two. winding the line with a two-piece reel. The pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends must be fixed: this must be done by placing them in special fasteners
Winding is carried out, as in the first case, according to the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments should be wound so that they do not intersect. Further, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and divorced on opposite sides.
The spring is then inserted into the reel and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. When placing the spool in the trimmer, you need to gently hold the spring parallel while inserting the line into the slots on the mower head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, with a lid.
After threading the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you make a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or even better, if you watch the video on how to install a line on a reel in a trimmer.
How to remove the line from the trimmer reel
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to pull out the remnants of the old line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus a video on how to pull the thread from the trimmer spool, which you can find on the net, will help in solving this issue.
It is necessary to disassemble the mowing head
Remove the cover using the clips
We clean the remnants of cutting material
Hard ? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you cannot do this, then of course find and watch the video how to pull out or how to wind the thread on the reel of lawn mowers.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
05 July 2018
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly trimmed. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the operator’s manual for lawn mowers should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there are a huge number of videos on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the trimmer coil.
How to replace the line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gas streamer, you get more freedom, since you are not limited by the cable that is present on the electric streamer.
Yes, do not hesitate to use the special videos on installing or threading the line in an electric scooter, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
The cord does not feed, the reel does not spin
An automatic or semi-automatic head should feed the line without stopping the unit. But if it does not come out, then the reasons may be as follows:
- the fishing line is incorrectly wound in the reel, due to which the latter does not spin;
- the cord is wound unevenly, and the thread can get stuck between the turns (the thread should be wound neatly, turn to turn, without distortions);
- too short ends of the thread come out of the holes, as a result of which there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line is not fed (it is recommended to always adjust the length of the cord before starting the unit, pulling it slightly);
- the line is stuck together (will be discussed later).
If the line breaks frequently, this may be due to the following reasons:
- stones, small branches and other solid obstacles come across in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, then it breaks off the “antennae” even faster;
- poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to purchase a high-quality one);
- the outlet holes in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the line is erased on the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete replacement of the part is required).
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many trimmer users are wondering: what can replace the default cord used in this kind of machines? Begin unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wires, metal ropes or strings, and regular fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the trimmer turns into a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the unit, the steel cable will gradually be triggered, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will scatter in different directions at high speed.
A similar thing happens when using steel or copper wire, with the only difference that the pieces that have come off will be larger and can cause significant injury.
And if you accidentally hook your or someone else’s leg while working with a steel cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and in some cases amputation of toes, is guaranteed. It is not in vain that the manufacturer uses nylon for these purposes, since it is quite light and durable, and when it comes off it does not fly far and cannot cause injury.
Of course, you can use fishing line in the trimmer instead of the standard one, but this will add extra trouble to you, since it wears out quickly, breaks, mows slowly and is not suitable for cutting tough grass. In addition, during work, a lot of time is wasted to replace a broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of a regular line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if he is from the netting. In this case, in order to protect the standard, and sometimes expensive, cord from wear and tear, it is changed to fishing line, which is not a pity. Usually, in order to change the line to line, it must be selected with the greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
The thread does not hold
It happens that the thread unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head has weakened. The line is constantly extended and cut with a knife installed on the cover, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the line “climbed”, then you will need to replace the spring.
How to remove and disassemble a coil
Before starting the cord replacement process, trimmer users need to remove and disassemble the reel. Let’s see how to do it.
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on all models), a bobbin with a cord and a cover.
Attention! Before proceeding with any maintenance of the electrical unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
In trimmers, 2 options for mounting the mowing head are most often used.
In this embodiment, the head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix this shaft. To do this, in similar trimmers, for example, in the Huter and Champion devices, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 easy steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start turning it clockwise. Turn in this direction for the reason that the thread cut on the shaft is left.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of line is required for a particular reel, it is necessary to wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you will not be able to insert it into the casing. After you have decided on the length of the material, it must be threaded into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Please note that the bobbin is divided into 2 parts by the central collar, from which charging begins. Find a groove on it and insert a cord bent in half into it, applying a little force.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound onto the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. In such a situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn by turn, with maximum thread tension.
- After the laying of the cord is completed, you will first need to fix the short end of the line by inserting it into a groove of a suitable diameter on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is longer, is fastened in a groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. To do this, alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the fishing line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
Trimmer head types
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way of threading and feeding the cord and are of 3 types.
- Automatic. Cord feed is performed after the user reduces engine speed. Although the automatic line feed is convenient if a large amount of work is being done, such bobbins have one drawback. a high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of heads does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed in such a way that the cord lengthens automatically while the apparatus is operating at full speed. It is enough to lightly knock the trimmer head on the ground (this removes the blocking of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, and then it is cut to the required length with a knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, after which the line is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that the trimmer spools are single-string (used only for trimming the grass) and two-string, which are used to mow tall grass and small, thin-stemmed bushes.
Cordless lawn mower
Ideal for those who do not want to breathe gasoline exhaust, and also depend on electricity. The machine consists of a sturdy polymer body and a compact grass catcher. The volume of the grass catcher depends on the model.
Such devices are silent, reliable and safe to use.
The cord lengthens spontaneously
There are times when the trimmer user notices a very fast line flow. However, he never hit the ground with a button to lengthen the line. The reason for the fact that the line spontaneously lengthens, being cut on a special knife on the casing of the device, may be the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line into the reel, forget to install the pressure spring in the head, or even lose it when opening the lid, and in the future, do not even suspect of its existence.
Also, the line can be lengthened without using the button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring has confirmed this fact, then several washers must be placed under it in order to enhance its clamping properties.
Mows grass up to 36 cm. Speed up to 7400 rpm. The power is 540 W. The body is plastic. Telescopic handle. Inexpensive but practical tool.
The length is 165 cm. The current is 8 A. Ideal for mowing in a small area.
Convenient device for mowing a lawn, a flower bed, a fence, etc. The engine is quiet enough, there is no exhaust gas.
Electric version of the scythe
The self-propelled form of these units can be used anywhere, but only next to the power supply. Quiet, they are often used near schools, kindergartens, as well as hospitals and clinics. They are used quite actively on private territory.
The models are easy to operate, have a low noise level, high reliability, and also an affordable price.
The length of the device is 154 cm. The current is 5.5 A. The lightest of the other mowers. This tool can be used over large spaces.
The mechanism is hinged, due to which the device tilts in different directions. The cutter spool can be positioned perpendicular to the ground. There are no ventilation slots, which protects the device from water ingress, so the grass can be mowed in the early morning (when there is dew) or immediately after rain.