How to remove the ratchet from the trimmer
How to unscrew the crankshaft pulley bolt
Car repair is a process that has a lot of nuances, and it is not so easy to repair a car yourself without many years of experience. Even detailed instructions do not always help, since they do not take into account all the difficulties that the owner of the car may face during the repair.
If it is necessary to remove the crankshaft pulley during the repair process, difficulties may arise with the bolt holding the unit. And in this case, problems arise not only with the fact that he can “burn”, but also with his very position. Within the framework of this article, we will answer in detail the question of how to unscrew the crankshaft pulley bolt in order to spend a minimum amount of time on this procedure and not damage the unit.
What is the problem when unscrewing the crankshaft pulley?
Even a person far from cars knows that the crankshaft rotates when the car is moving. Based on this, we can conclude that it will rotate even when trying to unscrew the bolt that connects the pulley and the crankshaft. The problem is that the direction of rotation of the unit and the threads of the bolt are the same. This means that when applying efforts to unscrew the bolt, it also acts on the crankshaft, which is scrolling.
It should also be borne in mind that during the movement of the car, the bolt is tightly tightened, and this was not done by accident. It is important that in no case does the pulley move away from the crankshaft while the car is moving, which can be dangerous not only for the car, but also for people in it.
There are other factors that do not allow you to easily unscrew the crankshaft pulley, in particular: corrosion, burning, coking, sticking, etc. Based on this, we can conclude that it is not so easy to separate the parts, and this will require not only special knowledge, but also a number of specific tools that are not available in every garage.
What tools are needed to unscrew the crankshaft pulley bolt?
As noted above, when trying to unscrew the pulley from the crankshaft, the part constantly rotates, which makes it almost impossible to do without fixing means. In addition, getting close to the crankshaft pulley bolt is not so easy, given that it is located perpendicular to the axis of the car.
Before proceeding with the work on separating the pulley and the crankshaft, the following tools must be prepared:
Socket head for the size of the bolt or socket wrench (most often the connecting bolt has a “cap” of 36 or 38 millimeters);
When all the tools are ready, you can proceed directly to the procedure for twisting the bolt and separating the parts.
How to unscrew the crankshaft pulley bolt
Note that it is necessary to carry out the work described below on an equal surface. Smooth asphalt is ideal, but not the ground, as the jack and other holding tools can “sink” under the weight of the vehicle.
To unscrew the crankshaft pulley bolt, you must do the following:
- Raise the car from the side of the right front wheel on a jack and, using a standard set of tools, remove the wheel;
- Next, take an additional holding tool (most often it is a large piece of wood. “Stump”, a second jack or any other object that can act as additional insurance for the stability of the car). Place it next to the jack;
To make the process easier, we advise you to choose a larger extension cord.
You can use the standard tips for loosening coked, burnt, and stuck bolts:
- Tap the edges of the bolt or nut with a hammer. Lightly hit the connecting components to avoid damaging the threads and heads;
- Lubricate the bolt with a special agent such as WD-40. If there are no similar ones at hand, you can use engine oil, brake fluid, sunflower oil, or even vinegar.
- If you can see that the bolt is burnt, you can use a pry bar to “stir it up” a little.
As you can see, it is not difficult to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt if you do the work “wisely”. It is also recommended to tighten the bolt (with the flywheel teeth locked) in order to fix the parts as tightly as possible, and they do not unscrew on the road.
Removal and disassembly of the starter, replacement of broken parts
To repair the trimmer starter, you will first need to disassemble it, and then assemble it. This process is not particularly difficult. For work, you need a screwdriver with a tip of the desired shape.
Everything should be done carefully, observing safety precautions, mainly so that the spring does not injure the master in case of an accidental departure.
How to repair a trimmer starter
Petrol trimmer starter repair may be required at the most inopportune moment. In this case, the problem can be solved in two ways: replace the broken part or change the entire unit. The latter option is more expensive. To repair the device with your own hands, in most cases, you will only need a screwdriver with the appropriate tip from the tools. Repair work does not take much time and does not require special knowledge. It is enough to know the device, the principle of operation, the nuances of assembling and disassembling the starter on the trimmer in order to achieve the desired positive result.
The main malfunctions of the trimmer starter
It is not difficult to determine the cause of the breakdown of the triggering device. There are several main options:
- break of the cord (rope);
- when the spring breaks or disengages.
How to Remove and Install Blade on WONER Hair Clipper HC816B
The above details are shown in the photo below.
It may happen that the starter mechanism is accidentally broken. The consequences will be disastrous if the broken rope is wound around the flywheel of a working internal combustion engine: then the spring will burst, the pulley will break. But such cases, when a complete replacement of the starter unit is required, are extremely rare. In most cases, to fix the mechanism, it is enough to install a new spring or replace the cord.
The device and principle of operation of the starter on the trimmer
The gasoline engine is, in principle, the main part of lawn mowers.Its power is in the range of 0.5-2.5 hp. The movement from it is transmitted to the shaft, which is inside the hollow rod, and then through a gearbox consisting of gears, already a fishing line or knife (working body).
Also, lawn mowers have the following elements:
- protective casing;
- belt designed for the convenience of using the device;
- starter used to start a gasoline internal combustion engine.
All parts of the lawn mowers are presented in the photo below.
The trimmer starter is an integral part that starts the engine. He is shown separately in the two photos below.
The starter mechanisms of different models of lawn mowers work on the same principle: when the engine starts, the protrusions marked with 1 in the photo above engage with the pawls 3. When the engine starts to work, they return to their previous position due to the influence of centrifugal force. Wire 2 also plays a similar role.
Today, gasoline lawn mowers are equipped with two types of starter mechanisms:
The first option is much more common.
The trimmer starter can operate without breakdowns for a long time. It is impossible to clearly indicate the period of uptime. Everything is determined by the initial quality of the device and adherence to the rules for handling it.
Disassembly of the starter unit
The launch mechanism is disassembled in order to install new parts instead of broken ones in the following sequence:
- unscrew with a screwdriver the screw fixing the pulley with the starter cover;
- take out the spring and antennae;
- carefully remove the pulley (you need to turn your head away or work, wearing glasses and gloves first);
- determine why the trigger is broken;
- if the spring has collapsed almost completely, then it is replaced;
- when the spring comes out of the hook, it is installed in its original place, bending the antennae in front of this (the photographs show the laying process);
- after the spring plate is installed inside the groove, carefully twist it.
To change the spring, you must work carefully and carefully: it can accidentally burst under the influence of the force caused by installing it in place. Even if you carefully remove the roller, the spring strip very quickly flies off the reel and can injure your hand with its sharp edges.
It is not always possible to immediately put the spring plate in its original place. It often slips, so attempts must be repeated until the desired result is achieved.
After installing the spring, tighten it. To do this, perform the following actions:
- remove the handle from the starter cord;
- then the rope is inserted into the reel groove;
- tension the spring by rotating the coil in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction (winding);
- make the required number of revolutions specified in the operating instructions for the used trimmer model and corresponding to the length of the cord used;
- at the very end, the rope is threaded into the hole intended for this, located in the starter cover;
- put the handle in place, fixing it with a knot.
If, after repair, the spring continues to fly off, then you can get rid of it in the following ways:
Change your spark plug on your string trimmer or leaf blower!
- squeeze a piece of the plate suitable in size into the groove at the location of the spring hook;
- drill holes on both sides of the groove in the spool, into which to insert the spring hook and fix it with a wire.
The assembly of the starter unit is carried out in a number of stages:
- the coil is turned over, setting it so that the spring bend fits exactly into the groove of the body, as in the photo below;
- two washers are laid, between which a spring is placed;
- put in place the cup with the antennae;
- tighten the screw (photos below).
When doing the described manipulations, it is imperative to put two washers. If this is not done, then the spring will eventually damage the plastic cup, and when it is pulled up, wedging will begin. Because of this, there is a feeling as if the spring has flown off. To eliminate this drawback, you need to install this part of a greater length or an additional washer.
When such parts are not available, you can simply unscrew the screw a little, and the starter unit will start working without wedging. But this option is temporary. it is better to repair it with high quality as soon as possible.
Replacing a torn cord
The torn rope is replaced in the following sequence:
- the old cord is removed;
- choose a rope that is suitable in size (thickness and length);
- passing it through a special hole in the coil, tie a knot;
- cocking the spring, producing the required number of revolutions;
- fix the handle.
It is better to stretch the spring plate together with a partner so that the edge of the cord does not reel inside the starter mechanism.
Assembling the starter on the trimmer and winding the spring is not difficult, you just need to do it carefully and with care. For different models of lawn mowers, the breakdowns of the triggering mechanisms are the same, so they are repaired in the same way. At the same time, there are some nuances associated with their design features.
Sometimes, after the repair, the spring still flies. There are two solutions to fix this problem:
- To prevent the spring bend from jumping out of the groove, you need to insert a small fragment of a metal plate between the bend and the wall of the seat. This will provide a tighter fit for the spring.
- A self-made fastening also helps to keep the spring in the groove. It is necessary to drill holes in the coil on each side of the groove, place a spring bend in them and fix it with a piece of wire. These steps should be performed so that the wire does not touch the starter cover and does not slow down the movement of the pulley.
Signs and causes of failure of the starter mechanism
There are two malfunctions in the starter mechanism.
- Broken cord. With regular operation of the lawn mowers, this element is frayed and torn, which will be easily noticed by the user when trying to start the trimmer. To remedy the situation, you need to replace the cord.
- Spring wear and subsequent breakage or release of the hook from the groove. The fault can be determined by a cord that does not come back and does not wrap around the pulley after starting the engine. To repair the trimmer in this case, it is enough to install a new spring.
In rare situations, the starter mechanism breaks when the tool is used carelessly. The consequences can be unpleasant: a deformed cord is wound around the flywheel of a running engine, the pulley breaks, and the spring bursts. But these are isolated cases, a complete replacement of the starter is very rarely required.
Sooner or later, problems with the starter arise on any trimmer. Stihl FS 55, MTD 790 or another brand. You can delay the appearance of such a malfunction, but for this you need to handle the instrument with care. In particular, you should not make too sharp jerks, this will lead to a break in the cord or to a spring out. It is not recommended to subject the lawnmower to shocks or other physical influences. If the starter housing breaks and the cord breaks, it could wind up around the engine flywheel. This will result in a ripped pulley and a bursting spring.
So, having discovered that the starter mechanism has broken on the lawn mower, you should not rush to the specialists for help right away. Knowing how the malfunction is eliminated and / or the part is replaced, the repair work can be done independently. This does not require any specific tool. At first, the procedure may seem complicated and tedious, but numerous videos on the Internet dedicated to repairing a starter will help solve the problem as quickly and simply as possible.
Replacing the cord
To replace an element, you need to find a hole in the coil for it, through which you pass the cord, and then tie a knot. Next, you need to cock the coil with the spring by performing a few turns.
On a note! The exact number of turns can be found by looking at the instructions for using the trimmer, or by hand. To do this, you need to measure the length of the rope and count how many times it can be wrapped around the coil.
For example, if the cord is wrapped around the circle six times, then to tighten the spring, you need to turn the coil counterclockwise six times. After that, it remains only to thread the rope through the hole and fix the handle on the cord.
How to repair a trimmer starter
One of the key components of the lawn mower is the starter, which is designed to make it easier to start the engine of the device. Like other parts, it breaks down periodically. In this case, there are two solutions to the problem: repair the trimmer starter or replace it completely. The second option is simpler but more expensive. In addition, the required part must first be found on the market, since different types of lawn mowers are used with different starters. If you have free time and a screwdriver with a suitable tip, you can restore the operation of this unit yourself if you know how it works, what malfunctions are typical for it, and how to fix them correctly. All this is in this material.
Collection and installation in place of the starter
To assemble the starter and install it in its original place, you must:
- turn the pulley with the spring down and place it inside the body so that the spring bend falls exactly into the groove of the body;
- install the washer, then the spring, on top of it. the second washer;
- place a cup with antennae on top of the washer and screw in the screw.
When assembling, be sure to put both washers, otherwise the plastic cup will be damaged by the spring after some time, and when pulling the cord, the user will notice that it is jammed. It will look like a spring has flown off. To eliminate such damage, you will need to install a larger screw or another washer. If it is not possible to find the required parts, it is enough to loosen the screw a little, after which the starter will stop jamming. However, you need to understand that these are temporary measures, and the malfunction should be repaired as soon as possible.
Diagnostics and elimination of breakdowns
To diagnose the starter mechanism for the purpose of its subsequent repair, the unit must be disassembled. This is not difficult to do; you only need a screwdriver. But during this operation, you need to be careful. with careless movements, the spring can fly out and cause injury to the user.
Trimmer starter. device and principle of operation
In order to repair the lawn mowers starter on your own, you need to understand the principle of its operation and know its structure. Today, manual and automatic starters are installed on trimmers, with the former being the most common.
The part is a plastic case that houses a pulley with a cord wound around it to start the engine. In order for the cord to twist independently after winding the tool, a ribbon spring made of alloy steel is located on the inner side of the pulley. A ratchet is installed on the front of the pulley, creating engagement of the starter with the drive shaft of the tool motor.
On a note! Depending on the model and brand of the trimmer (Huter, Husqvarna and others), the ratchet pulley can be one piece or two separate parts.
The principle of operation of the recoil starter is the same on lawn mowers of Chinese, European and domestic production, be it Hitachi, Patriot or another manufacturer. To start the engine, the owner of the device pulls the cord sharply. From this movement, the pulley turns, and the protrusions on it engage with the pawls located on the flywheel. Further, the flywheel and crankshaft begin to rotate with the pulley. After starting the engine, under the influence of centrifugal force, the projections and pawls diverge in different directions. And the starter cord, after the user releases it, is wound around the pulley using a return spring.
Important! With heavy use, the drive cord will break over time and the ribbon spring will wear out. These parts are easy to replace with your own hands.
How to use a beard trimmer: stylist tips
The electric trimmer is a relatively new “technical trend” designed for effective styling and removal of facial hair. Since the device has appeared on the market recently, not every man knows how to use a beard trimmer correctly. Meanwhile, it is an excellent solution for the stronger sex who want to always look well-groomed and neat. Learning how to use the trimmer can save you a lot of time and keep your beard in top condition.
How to use the trimmer: shaving steps
Before starting a haircut, decide on the desired length of the beard. With a long beard, three device settings for different lengths are sufficient. If you like a short beard, you can only cut your hair with blades. no attachments are needed. Shaping a particular style, such as a goatee, requires a variety of features, including the ability to swap out standard blades for a head with smaller knives for high precision shaving.
After that, you can start shaving:
- Start shaving your beard with long hair and then work your way down to short hair. To give your beard a well-groomed look, you need to use the long attachments. Shave your chin against hair growth. Since the hairs grow downward, cut from the bottom up to shorten them.
- Change the attachment to a shorter one and start shaving your neck. Start at the Adam’s apple and work your way up. If the original length of beard hair is more than 5 cm, then for their initial haircut, you must remove the attachment and use only the trimmer blades.
- Move on to shaping the contours. To do this, treat the neck with a zero nozzle. Trimming the beard on the cheeks can be done with a trimmer without attachments. Draw the lateral outlines towards the ears, pulling gently on the skin with your hand while shaving in hard-to-reach areas. To achieve a more thorough shave of vegetation, you can use a razor or electric shaver.
When shaving, the flat part of the brush head should be applied to your face for the best results. All movements must be smooth and slow, otherwise the device will not have time to cut vegetation. It is advisable to keep the device at an angle to the skin. in this case, the hair length will be even throughout the beard.
To trim the antennae, move the device in any convenient direction, giving the hair the desired shape. If you want to shave off your mustache completely, you can use the trimmer without attachments. To do this, close your mouth, smile and remove hairs all over the mowing line above the upper lip.
To avoid clutter while shaving, it is best to place a waste basket under your feet. When clipping, a lot of cut hair will fall off the blades, especially when cutting a long beard, so you should take care in advance that they do not scatter around the bathroom.
Choosing a beard grooming device
One of the main points in beard care is choosing a quality device that will effectively cut hair and keep the battery charged throughout the entire shaving procedure. Consider the following guidelines when buying:
- Choose a beard trimmer with stainless steel blades. They have a long service life and allow you to shave vegetation without pulling.
- It’s good if your device has a durable waterproof case, which will allow you to clean it under running water.
- Pay attention to the handle. it should lie comfortably in your hand and have rubberized inserts that will prevent slipping.
- The more attachments are included, the more convenient it is to use the device when caring for a beard.
For more information on how to choose a beard trimmer, follow the link to our article with tips for choosing a device.
Using a beard trimmer
The question of how to shave correctly with a trimmer is asked by many men who have never cut their hair with this device. In reality, there is nothing complicated here. If you learn how to use a typewriter, you can always stay in trend and forget about visiting a barbershop.
Preparing the trimmer
When starting to use the device, study the manufacturer’s instructions to find out the type of oil for lubricating the blades (if necessary, for the model you have chosen), how to remove the knives and other nuances. Next, prepare the device for operation:
- Lubricate its head with oil so that it gets on the blades.
- Turn on the device for 20-30 seconds. Thus, you can check the efficiency of the device, and the lubricant is more evenly distributed over the knives.
- After checking, turn off the trimmer and wipe the blades to prevent trimmed hairs from sticking to them while shaving.
Choice of attachments
The trimmer without attachment can be used when trimming the beard and mustache. As for cutting, for this purpose, various accessories are used, which are selected depending on the desired length. To shave your beard with a trimmer, you usually choose 1-10 mm attachments, as they allow you to precisely trim the stubble and cut long hairs. In some models, you can use only one attachment, which is adjusted using a special wheel and a lock.
Cleaning and maintaining the trimmer
Manufacturers recommend using the beard trimmer with care, because the quality of the care of the device largely depends on its performance and period of operation. Follow the guidelines below to keep your helper clean:
- Wash the attachments after you are finished using the device. You can use warm soapy water for washing. Do not wash the device under running water if its body is not protected from moisture. This can cause corrosion on the blades or breakage of the trimmer.
- Clean hairs from the trimmer regularly. To do this, you can use the brush that comes with the kit. Use a regular cotton swab to clean the grooves of the blades.
- Remember to lubricate the trimmer with oil (if specified in the instructions for your particular model). This will allow the blades and motor to maintain their performance for a long time.
- Charge the battery if it signals a low charge. If the battery is low, the trimmer can pull out hairs, resulting in discomfort and skin irritation.
Using the trimmer correctly will allow you to create your own style with a minimum of time. You can always control the formation of your image and perform stylish haircuts for your beard and mustache. no worse than that of a professional barber.