How to remove the reel from a grass trimmer. Typical malfunctions and troubleshooting
Grass trimmer spool repair with your own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change trimmer line, assemble and install back
If the line for the trimmer does not lengthen with a light tap of the grass trimmer spool button on the ground, the prerequisites for this are usually.
Option 1. overbite, t.Е. Clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user winds the line for the trimmer on the reel unevenly, crossing the windings or winding it without tension. In the latter case, when the mower rotates at high speed under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which an intervital clamping of the mowing line can occur. To remove the obstacle, you need to disassemble the reel on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, even spinning with good tension.
How To Fix A Vibration Issue On A Stihl Trimmer Pole
Option 2.4. very short ends sticking out of the head. The rod may not fall out when it hits the ground if the ends protruding from the head are not long enough (short). Then the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line for the trimmer. Therefore, it is necessary to suspend the machine (in other words, turn off the engine, unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull out the line for the trimmer manually, first pressing the button.
Option 3. trimmer line is sealed inside the mower. This causes the reel to stop and not even rotate when the button is pressed. This is mainly due to several reasons: the poor quality of the cord, overheating of the spool during prolonged operation of the machine and the impact of the mowing line on solid objects.
- First, the third-party cord you like is made of low-quality and easily fusible materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal loads. It is therefore necessary to give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- If you have a line for a trimmer of unknown owner, and it often solders while working, then, of course, follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord in the spool, wet it or silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the coils of mowing line.
- The trimmer line can also be soldered if it hits a hard object while mowing (rock, fence, dry branch, etc. Д.). During this time, it stretches a little and pulls towards the head with great speed. The cord heats up from friction and its spools stick together. The only thing that will be done to fix this problem is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the trimmer line.
There are situations when the user of the grass trimmer notices a very fast consumption of the line. Here he never pressed the button with the button to extend the line for the trimmer. A prerequisite for the spontaneous extension of the line by cutting a special knife on the machine body is the lack of spring in the mowing head. Often beginner mower users, trying to load the line for the trimmer in the reel, forget to install the compressed spring in the head, in other words, completely lose it when opening the cover, and then they do not even know about its existence.
the trimmer line also expands without using the button if the spring is loose. If the spring check confirmed this fact, you need to insert some washers under it to increase the pressing characteristics.
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, are confused, near panic when they have to change a cutting tool or trimmer line reel. Often when trying to unscrew a lawn mower head, users simply make it unusable, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction To prevent this, if you need to change the tool, we recommend that you join the step-by-step annotation below.
- Before pouring the rod into the spool, turn off the motor hedge trimmer, as it is also called, de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries caused by accidental rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attached gear shaft nozzle. To do this, secure the shaft by aligning the holes on the washer and inserting an iron bar or screwdriver there.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the threads on the shaft remain. So turn the grass trimmer spool to the right, in other words, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. In most cases, the main cover is attached to the clips. To remove it, you’ll need to lower these clips onto the body, squeezing the edges of the cover. If there is an aisle, if your grass trimmer has an automatic mower with a button at the bottom, you should disassemble the nozzle with care, as there is a chance of losing the spring, which sometimes flies out when you remove the cover. ,
- Cut the necessary amount of fishing line. It is usually 5 meters long. Use a cord of the same diameter as the note on the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the largest diameter of the mowing line, as this will increase the load on the engine and increase gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the piece of cord by folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- The spool is cut inside the special grooves (there are holes). Insert a loop of fishing line in this groove.
- Wind the line for the trimmer on the spool by turning it counterclockwise. The cord needs to be filled very evenly, the turns should not overlap and with good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave the free ends of the line about 20 cm long and secure them in the slots on the sides of the spool.
- Assemble the mowing head. Don’t forget to fully assemble the nozzle spring and washer (if available). Insert the spool into the housing and pass the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gear shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. Turn the grass trimmer reel to the left (counterclockwise).
How to choose a line for your trimmer. length, diameter, limitations
For any electric or gasoline grass trimmer you can use lines from various manufacturers. Nevertheless, consumables of the same brand as the tool remain the best option. It is believed that in this case, it will benefit the longevity of work and even reduce consumption.
IT’S IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! You can not use fishing line for the grass trimmer or metal cords. Such a change is ineffective and dangerous. The rope can injure not only the mower himself, but also those around him.
When it comes to length, it’s worth taking into account how often you plan to use your weed trimmer. The more often, the more consumables you need. Information about the possible diameter of the fishing line will be found on the body of the grass trimmer reel. Most likely, there will be a range. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4mm. Choose the right option, taking into account the peculiarities of the area to be treated. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and extract the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. The reel or guide is a device that is inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the spool is the same for all. First of all, let’s understand how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!The tooling can be replaced directly on the tool, but if doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and learn the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, it is possible to perform replacement work on the trimmer brushcutter or benzokosa. The instruction on how to unwind the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
Turn the tool upside down, and if necessary, clean it from contamination. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After gently pressing them in, remove the cover from the drum
This process is not difficult and as you understand, there is no need to remove the entire head if you know how to do the replacement. Be aware of the following points when dismounting:
- It is advisable to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it will be difficult or even impossible to do so if you have to
- If the screw has a square head bore, then a screwdriver or suitable size bits must be selected for unscrewing in order to avoid slipping of the head facets
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be treated with a lubricant, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the edges on the screw have slipped off, you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require prior disassembly. To remove them, take hold of it, and rotate it in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows the detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Changing the line on a trimmer
If the grass trimmer spool button lightly striking the ground, the line for the trimmer does not extend, then the preconditions for this happen the following.
Variant 1. jamming came out, i.e.е. clamping the cord between the coils. This problem usually occurs if the user has wound the line on the spool unevenly, with a crossed coils, or spooled it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when you rotate the mowing head at high revolutions under the influence of centrifugal force the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which you interscrew the fishing line. To solve the problem you need to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, by even turns with a good tension.
Option 2.7. very short ends protrude from head. line trimmer may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends, sticking out of the head, not long enough. Here, the centrifugal force is not enough, that the line for the trimmer stretched. Therefore, you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine as it is also called disconnect trimmer elektrichesky for grass from the network) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, having previously pressed the button.
Variant 3. trimmer line is soldered inside the mowing head. This leads to the fact that the spool is stopped and does not even spin when the button is pressed. In the main, this occurs for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating of the spool during prolonged operation of the unit, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- At the beginning, the cords of other manufacturers are made of low-quality, low-melting materials that do not withstand the mechanical and thermal loads. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” lines.
- If you did get the line for the trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered in its time of operation, it is possible to follow the example of certain users who, after filling the cord in the coil or lubricate it with silicone grease (from a spray bottle), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the turns of line to each other.
- After it has finished, the line tends to stretch out a little and pulls slightly back on its head at a high speed.д.). After it is finished it stretches a little and with a great speed is pulled back into the head. The friction causes the cords to warm up and the strands stick together. The only thing that is done to eliminate this malfunction. is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line for the trimmer.
Mowing string head. this is one of the types of the executive mechanism of the garden trimmer for grass. It is intended for mowing grass and constructively represents a special spool (reel) of which the cutting cord (string, line for trimmer) stick out in different directions. The string is a consumable item that must be replaced during use. Based on the design and operational features of the grass trimmer, manufacturers equip their products with a variety of head types. from simple manual reels to complex automatic reels. The more complex is the device of the mechanism, the more likely it is to break down. What to do if the reel does not spin, the string does not feed or breaks, as well as with other malfunctions. in the material below.
What you need to replace the cord
The blades of the grass trimmer blunt with constant use, but they can be resharpened and continue to work. line for trimmer
in the reel tends to end, because there is a need to fill the newest, why it is necessary to find the type of head and prepare a cord of the right thickness and length.
So, mowing head is a cylindrical body, in which the bobbin and line for the trimmer are located. Such detail is located both on electronic trimmers and on gasoline mowers of all brands, whether Bosch, Makita, STIHL or other brands. Depending on the method of threading and feeding, there are three types of mowing heads.
- Operating mechanism of automatic mowing heads is that they feed line to trimmer without help when mower lowers revolutions of motor. Such designs are comfortable when working on large areas, but have a disadvantage. high consumption of cord.
- Automatic group heads are comfortable in use. automatic line feed is carried out at the highest speed of the motor. To remove the cord clog, gently tap the inventory on the ground, then the unblocked thread will be pushed out of the spool. Cutting to the desired length is done with a knife attached to the protective cover.
- Grass trimmers with a manual cord feed need to be disconnected first, and then take out the trimmer line without the help of others.
Reels for electronic and gasoline braid can be with one or 2 strings. The 1st are used for cutting low grass, the 2nd. for cutting higher grass and smaller bushes.
Repairing the ‘Gardena electric grass trimmer (changing the spool)
The guaranteed output of a factory grass trimmer will inevitably require a change in the mowing line. Having a very rough idea of how to insert the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool on their own, beginners are reluctant to engage in this business. But, with some ability, mastering this simple science is not difficult, and similar instructions below will greatly facilitate such a process.
First of all, to wind the fishing line for the trimmer, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the grass trimmer; certain actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
READ Can you mow with a trimmer after the rain
Small electronic grass trimmers with the working position of the motor and spool at the bottom, you have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the top part of the spool, along with the inner m to wind the line, disengages, although the bottom.
The video focuses on the problem of changing the mowing line in grass trimmers, this will be of interest to anyone who deals with similar devices. A man in work clothes appears in front of the audience and promises to immediately and at the same time detail the method of manipulation necessary if you set out to change or rewind your trimmer line.
Hero is attracted by how important it is to get a quality line for the trimmer first, then it will be reliable and last a long time. Then the person points out how to remove the old trimmer line without difficulty, then he shows the very one he already has. Getting ready.
How to modify, remove the BlackDecker GL716 Electronic Grass Trimmer’s Powerhead when repairing, that is, changing.
BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer was brought in for repair. By his example, we’ll show how to remove the Powerhead, grass trimmer head, Powerhead, different sources call it differently. If you set out to remove the grass trimmer head, it must be disassembled. To do this, release the side latches, which are symmetrically located on both sides. We press two fingers there, with the other hand, gently shake off the top cover. Take out the bobbin to wind the mowing line. We can see a slightly deepened screw. Sprocket or flat socket. Holding the body of the Powerhead with one hand, unscrew the screw counterclockwise. Swinging from side to side, pull the head drum body only toward you. Now you understand how to change, remove.
Black and Decker String Trimmer Repair. How to replace the Dowel Pin
Scaffolding winding algorithm
Depending on the model of grass trimmer you use, you choose the type, thickness and length of the mowing line. The cord diameter can be from 1.2 to 4mm. It’s not hard to guess that the thicker you thread the cord, the stiffer and thicker you can cut it.
There are 3 ways to find out what diameter of fishing line you can use on your mower.
- Refer to the device manual for information on cord thickness.
- Look at the spool itself. It may be labeled with information about possible line diameters.
- Insert the trimmer line into the socket. If it fits through easily, you can use a cord of this diameter.
The line for the trimmer is wound on a spool, located in the mowing head. Therefore, it must first be opened (this was discussed above). There are two ways to wind the cord.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line are needed for a particular spool, you must wind it on the spool so that the spool does not exceed the diameter of the planks. If the trimmer line extends beyond the edges of the spool, you can’t insert it into the cover. Once you have decided on the length of the material, you need to load it into the spool, so do the following.
- You need to fold the line for the trimmer in half, so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Note that the spool is divided into 2 parts by the center side, which is where the charging begins. Find a recess on it and insert the cord, folded in half, into it with a little effort.
- It is very important to determine which direction the trimmer line is wound to the spool. If you look carefully, you may find an arrow on the reel or a sign with an arrow indicating which direction to reel. There are cases where there is no arrow on the reel. In this situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- The winding should be carried out carefully, wrapped around the spool, with the maximum tension of the thread.
- After the cord is finished, you must first secure the short end of the mowing line by inserting it into the appropriate diameter groove on the side of the spool.
- The other end, the genuine one, is installed in the groove on the opposite side of the spool.
- After securing the mowing line, cut off the ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, install the aged spool in the mowing head. To do this, insert and pull the thread through the output holes of the head, insert the spool into the housing, and then, using the necessary force, pull the trimmer line out of the fastening grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put the cover on and secure it with the latches.
READ How to Remove the Reel from an Electric Home Lawnmower
The second way
Some spools provide a second way of securing the cord: instead of one folded in half, you can charge 2 pieces of thread, the line for the trimmer is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before replacing or loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters are needed, as described above.
- Bend one end of the cord in the form of a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the spool to secure the line to the trimmer, and insert the end of the cord, bent into a loop.
- It is necessary to wind the cord in accordance with the direction of the arrow up to the desired level, not exceeding the diameter of the spool.
- Do the same for the second spool slot.
- Assembling the head is no different from the method provided for threading the spool, considered with a double piece of fishing line.
For STIHL-brand motor reels There is a very quick and easy way to change your trimmer line without disassembling the mower, which you can see by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the body can be cut to the desired length when the part is installed in the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- Turning on the grass trimmer (while rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut around the knife attached to the protective cover for this purpose);
- By cutting off the extra ends with scissors so they don’t touch the body.
The second method is used if you need to put on a large diameter cord and the cutter can’t shorten it.
If the cord is threaded on the mowing head but the protruding ends are not long enough, they must be lengthened before the machine is started. This applies to a head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases where a semi-automatic mower is used when, due to insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they are not automatically extended. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the machine (it is absolutely necessary to pull the plug out of the socket on the electrical device), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little fishing line for the trimmer. After this procedure, the cord will be able to extend again due to centrifugal force if you set the spindle to its maximum speed.
The structure of the trimmer head
On the Russian market the most popular are semi-automatic trimmer heads. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is a universal semi-automatic head, which is completed with electric grass trimmers and lawnmowers of such well-known brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. Its design is shown in the picture.
- housing (pos.6) with cover (pos.1) equipped with special eyelets (pos.5), through which the cutting cord is led to the outside;
- bobbin (item.3), on which winds up a line for a trimmer (pos.7);
- pressing spring (pos. 4).
There are other, simpler heads.
What you can use instead of a fishing line
Many trimmer users wonder what can replace the default cord used in this device? They start dangerous experiments by installing metal or copper wire, metal cables or strings, and ordinary trimmer line in the mowing head.
If a metal cable is installed instead of a fishing line, then the grass trimmer becomes a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the machine, the steel rope will gradually work, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
And if you accidentally touch your own or someone else’s foot while working with the steel cord (wire), it will provide a strong and deep cut of the tissue and in some cases amputation of toes. Not surprisingly, the manufacturer uses nylon for this purpose, as it is quite light and strong, and when disconnected, it will not fly out and cannot cause injury.