How to remove the reel from the gasoline trimmer. What types of fishing lines are there?
Grass trimmer spool repair with their own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the line for trimmer, assemble and install back
If the line for the trimmer is not extended by lightly striking the grass trimmer spool button on the ground, the prerequisites for this are usually.
Option 1. overbite, t.Е. Clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user winds the trimmer line unevenly on the spool, crossing the windings or winding it without tension. In the latter case, when the mower rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which intervital clamping of the mowing line can occur. To remove the obstruction, you need to disassemble the reel on the trimmer and rewind the cord properly, in other words, even spinning with good tension.
Option 2.4. very short ends sticking out of the head. The rod may not fall out when it hits the ground if the ends protruding from the head are not long enough (short). Then there is not enough centrifugal force to stretch the line for the trimmer. Therefore, it is necessary to suspend the unit (in other words, turn off the motor, unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull out the trimmer line manually, first pressing the button.
Option 3. the trimmer line is sealed inside the mower. This causes the spool to stop and not even spin when the button is pressed. This is mainly due to several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating of the spool during prolonged use of the machine, and exposure of the mowing line to hard objects.
- First, the third-party cord that you like is made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stresses. Therefore, preference should be given to “brand-name” lines.
- If you have a line for a trimmer of unknown owner and it often solders during work, then, of course, follow the example of some users, who, after filling the cord in the spool, wet it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the possibility of soldering the coils of the mowing line.
- The line for the trimmer can also be soldered if it hits a hard object while mowing (rock, fence, dry branch, etc. Д.). During this time, it stretches a little and pulls toward the head with great speed. The cord heats up from friction and its coils stick together. The only thing that will be done to correct this problem is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line for the trimmer.
There are situations when the grass trimmer user notices a very fast consumption of the fishing line. Here he never pressed the button with the button to extend the trimmer line. A prerequisite for the spontaneous extension of the line by cutting a special knife on the machine body is the lack of spring in the mowing head. Often beginners mower users, when trying to load the line for trimmer into the reel, forget to install the compressed spring in the head, in other words, they lose it completely when opening the cover, and then they do not even know about its existence.
the trimmer line also expands without using a button if the spring is loose. If the spring check confirmed this fact, you need to insert some washers under it to increase the pressing characteristics.
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, are confused, near panic when the spool has to change the cutting tool or trimmer line. Often when trying to unscrew the mower head, users simply make it unusable, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction To prevent this, if you need to change the tool, we recommend that you join the step-by-step annotation below.
- Before pouring the rod into the reel, turn off the motor trimmer, as it is also called, de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries resulting from accidental rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attached transmission shaft nozzle. To do this, you need to fix the shaft, aligning the axis of the holes on the washer and inserting an iron bar or screwdriver there.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the threads on the shaft remain. Therefore, turn the grass trimmer spool to the right, in other words, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. In most cases, the main cover is attached at the clips. To remove it, you will need to lower these clips on the body, squeezing the edges of the cover. If there is a passage, if your grass trimmer has an automatic mower with a button at the bottom, disassemble the head should be done carefully, because there is a chance of losing the spring, which sometimes flies out when you remove the cover. ,
- Cut the necessary amount of fishing line. It is usually 5 meters long. Use a cord of the same diameter as listed in the tool note. It is not advisable to exceed the largest diameter of the mowing line, as this will increase the load on the motor and increase the gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the piece of cord by folding it in half. You will get a hinge.
- Coils are cut inside special grooves (there are holes). Insert the line loop into this groove.
- Wind the trimmer line onto the spool by turning it counterclockwise. The cord should be filled very evenly, the coils should not overlap and should be laid with good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave the loose line ends about 20cm long and secure them into the slots on the sides of the spool.
- Reassemble the mowing head. Do not forget to fully assemble the spring and washer assembly (if available). Insert the spool into the body and pass the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Replace the cover and fasten it with the catches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gear shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. Turn the grass trimmer reel to the left (counterclockwise).
If there is a dacha plot or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then you need to use a lawnmower for the convenience of cleaning grass and weeds. In case you’re thinking of choosing an electric lawnmower or a gasoline mower, click here and you’ll find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the trimmer line on the mower wears out and needs to be replaced. this can be done yourself. This polyethylene filament must be chosen depending on the mower model. It is also worth paying attention to the other parts of the machine, here for example you can find information about Craftsman lawn mower blades that also wear out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The design of the spool that the trimmer line is inserted into is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the thread reel works with one or two tendrils. It is important to observe safety precautions when replacing the fishing line in the spool.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel, you must remove it from there. The reel or spool is a device inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of mowing heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!You can replace the tooling directly on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on the trimmer brushcutter or gasoline mower. Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
Turn the tool upside down, and if necessary, clean it of dirt. Grasp with two fingers of one hand the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to each other. After lightly pressing them in, remove the protective cover from the drum
Fishing Tips: How to remove fishing line from reel QUICKLY!
The process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how to perform the replacement. Keep in mind these nuances when dismantling:
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it may be difficult or even impossible to unscrew it, if necessary
- If a screw has a square drive head, a screwdriver or suitable size drill bit must be used to remove the screw, in order to prevent the facets on the drive head from slipping
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seat should be treated with a lubricant such as solidol or machine oil
- if the facets on a screw have slipped off, special tongs could be used to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not require prior disassembly. To disassemble it, it is necessary to take hold of it and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Changing the strand on the trimmer
If the button lightly striking the grass trimmer spool on the ground line trimmer does not lengthen, then the preconditions for this happen the following.
Variant 1. jamming has occured.е. Clamping the cord between coils. This mismatch usually occurs if the user reeled line for trimmer uneven, with crossed turns, or reeled it with a lack of tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at great speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, under the influence of which you intertwist the fishing line. To solve the problem it will be necessary to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, in other words, by even turns with a good tension.
Option 2.7. very loose ends protrude from the head. The trimmer line may not come out when hitting the ground, if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (not long enough). Here, the centrifugal force is not enough to make the line for the trimmer stretch. Because it is required to suspend the unit (turn off the engine as it is also called disconnect trimmer elektrichesky for grass from the network) and pull the line for the trimmer manually, having previously pressed the button.
Option 3. line trimmer brazed inside the mowing head. this causes the spool to freeze and does not spin on pressing the button. In the main, this is due to several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating the coil during prolonged use of the unit, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- In the beginning you will like the cords of other manufacturers are made of low-quality and fusible materials that do not hold the mechanical and thermal load. You should therefore give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- If you did get the line for the trimmer unknown properties, and it often soldered in its time of operation, it is possible to follow the example of some users, who after filling the cord in the coil or lubricate it with silicone grease (from a spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure is much less likely to solder to each other turns of line.
- Also, the line for the trimmer may melt if it bumps into a hard object (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.) while mowing.д.). Once this is done, it stretches a little and retracts back into the head at high speed. The friction warms the cord, and the coils stick together. The only thing to do to fix this problem. is to open the grass trimmer spool and rewind the line for the trimmer.
Mowing string head. this is one type of the executive mechanism of the garden trimmer for grass. It is intended for mowing the grass and represents by design a special reel (bobbin) from which the cutting cord (string, line for a trimmer) stick out in different directions. The filament is a consumable item that must be replaced during use. Based on the design and operational features of the grass trimmer, manufacturers equip their products with a variety of head types. from simple manual reels to complex automatic reels. The more complex the device of this mechanism, the more likely it is to break down. What to do if the spool does not spin, the string is not fed or broken, as well as with other malfunctions. the material below.
The main faults of a spool
Users of electric trimmers and lawnmowers often encounter problems with the semi-automatic mowing head. Malfunctions of the spool may be as follows:
If the grass trimmer’s line does not extend when the grass trimmer’s reel button lightly hits the ground, the reasons may be.
Option 1. a jamming fault occurs, i.e.е. entrapment of the filament between the coils. This problem usually occurs if the user has wound the trimmer line unevenly, with overlapping coils, or with insufficient tension on the spool. In the last case, when rotating the mowing head at high revolutions, centrifugal force causes the filament to be caught and, as a result, the filament may be caught between the coils. To correct the problem you will need to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the filament correctly, i.e. with even coils and good tension.
Variant 3. the line for the trimmer has soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the spool to freeze and does not rotate when the button is pressed. Basically, it happens due to several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the reel during prolonged operation of the machine, the line hitting hard objects.
- In the first case, the third-party cord may be made of low-quality and fusible materials that cannot withstand the mechanical and thermal stress. You should therefore give preference to “brand-name” lines.
- But, if you still bought a line for a trimmer of unknown quality, and it often solders during work, then you can follow the example of some users who after filling the cord in the reel wet it either with silicone grease (from a canister) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the chance of the line strands soldering to each other.
- A line for a trimmer may also meld if it hits a hard object while mowing (a rock, a fence, a dry branch, etc.).д.). This causes it to stretch slightly and retract back into the head at high speed. The friction heats the cord and causes it to stick together. The only thing you can do to fix this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the trimmer line.
There are situations when the user of the grass trimmer notices a very fast consumption of the line. And it never hits the ground with a button to extend the line. The reason that the line for the trimmer spontaneously lengthens, being cut on a special knife on the hood of the machine, can be the absence of a spring in the mowing head.
How to make an eternal trimmer coil with your own hands! Everything is brilliant, I’ll just show you
We suggest you read Greenhouse for seedlings (58 photos): a mini greenhouse for villas, portable greenhouse with their own hands, greenhouse and micro greenhouse with their own hands
Comparison of gasoline-powered equipment
The Makita EM2500U lawnmower is a more practical and convenient tool, because this gasoline grass mower has several advantages over the Husqvarna 128R and STIHL FS55 lawnmowers. The Makita Grasshopper has a much higher maximum operating speed of the cutting attachment, which means it can handle demanding tasks, such as mowing dense thickets of tough weeds, faster.
Makita lawn mower
STIHL grass trimmer manufacturer countries: Germany, USA, Brazil, Switzerland, Austria, China.
Interesting! Makita grass trimmer is made in China, Japan, UK, Germany, Romania, Switzerland and USA. As for the Husqvarna grass trimmer, it is made in the USA.
The Makita has a higher tank capacity than the STIHL FS55, which means more work can be done on one fill and less time is saved without having to pause for refueling.
Important! The Makita is more maneuverable and less mobile due to its lower weight (half a kilogram compared to the Husqvarna 128R and STIHL FS55). The Makita EM2500U will be more comfortable due to lower noise levels, which is important for both the operator and others
Unfortunately, Makita does not indicate the exact data regarding the level of vibration, assuring that the value of this parameter is quite low due to the equipping of trimmers effective anti-vibration system (in the handle are built in special elements that provide damping vibration). So there is less discomfort to operate the tool, even during extended periods of mowing. The device is easily adjustable
The Makita EM2500U will be more comfortable due to its lower noise level, which is important for both the operator and others. Unfortunately, Makita does not provide exact data on the vibration level, assuring you that the value of this parameter is quite low thanks to an effective anti-vibration system on the brushcutter (special elements are built into the handle that provide vibration damping)
That’s why there’s little discomfort when working with the tool, even over extended periods of mowing. The device can be easily adjusted.
Preparing for line replacement
Before replacing the fishing line, pull out and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a guard, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or muffle the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case you need to completely disassemble the head, and in the second. just remove it from the gearbox shaft to which it is attached.
- under the cover is the bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the housing (sometimes under it hides a spring, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- after removing the bobbin, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes visible in the center of the housing, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners, you must, holding the body, with a rocking motion remove the reel from the gearbox shaft.
The second method involves the following steps. The coil head is mounted on the gearbox shaft. In order to disconnect it, you must lock this shaft. This is usually done by inserting a nail, bar or screwdriver into the hole in Champion and STIHL brushcutters. After locking the shaft in a stationary position, you need to hold the body and start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually left-handed.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, you need to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the appropriate diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the user manual or on the bobbin itself, this information is usually indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the cord goes without difficulty, it can be used for work.
Side note! To understand how much fishing line to wind for the bobbin, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the skein was not more than the diameter of the sides. If the filament protrudes over the edges, the coil cannot be hidden in its sheath.
Design of the trimmer head
On the Russian market, the most in demand are considered semi-automatic trimmer heads. A typical example of mechanisms of this type is the universal semiautomatic head, which is included in electric grass trimmers and lawnmowers of such famous brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. Its design is shown in the picture.
- body (pos.6) with a cover (pos.1), equipped with special lugs (pos.5), through which the cutting cord is led out;
- bobbin (pos.3), on which the line for the trimmer is wound (pos.7);
- the clamping spring (pos. 4).
There are other, simpler heads.
What can be used instead of fishing line
Many trimmer users are wondering what can replace the default cord used in such a device? They start doing dangerous experiments by installing metal or copper wire, metal cables or strings, and regular trimmer fishing line in the mowing head.
If a metal cable is installed instead of a fishing line, then the grass trimmer becomes a dangerous device not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the machine, the steel rope will gradually work, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
And if you accidentally touch your own or someone else’s foot while working with the steel rope (wire), it will provide a strong and deep cut of tissue, and in some cases amputation of toes. It is not surprising that the manufacturer uses nylon for this purpose, as it is quite light and strong, and when disconnected it does not fly out and cannot cause injury.