How to remove the spool from the lawnmower. How to remove the spool from a grass trimmer?
How to Replace the Spool Lever on a Black and Decker String Trimmer
Grass trimmer spool repair with their own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the line for the trimmer, assemble and install back
In this article, we will describe in detail the procedure of how to remove the grass trimmer spool. The step-by-step instructions with the attached video will help the beginner and experienced user to remove the element of the system on their own and clean it or replace it with a new one. Before you remove the coil trimmer for grass it is imperative to muffle. for gasoline models or turn off the power. for electric trimmers. We’ll demonstrate one traditional disassembly scheme, but different trimmer models may have different ways of attaching the spool to the tool. With your own hands you will not only be able to remove the old coil sample, but also to replace it with a new one, if the need arises. So, step by step scenario:
- Disconnect the tool from the mains or turn off the engine (for chain saws).
- Carefully remove spool cap that holds coil spring in place.
- Press down on the locking devices symmetrically located on both sides with one hand and carefully remove the cover with the other.
- Look for the hole in the gearbox cup on the side or top and align it with the same hole in the shaft hub.
- Using a hexagonal key or a metal rod put it through the gearbox hole, excluding possible rotation of the shaft.
- Remove the mowing bobbin, on which the line for the trimmer is wound.
- At the bottom you will see a slightly sunk screw. It can be unscrewed with a Phillips or slotted screwdriver.
- Hold the housing of the mowing head with one hand and unscrew the screw counterclockwise with the other.
- Lightly jiggle. remove the mowing head. Even if it is a bit jammed, gently pull it out with the same amount of twisting and unscrewing. Often the movements are made in the hand of the clock, but there are also reels that are unscrewed in the other direction.
- Reassembly takes place in the opposite order.
To remove the bobbin it is necessary in cases of its damage, winding the line (which is undesirable and indicates an illiterate choice of tackle), as well as when you need to wind a new cord on a new spool or replace the cutting tackle. The “KosiKosa” store will always offer you an inexpensive reel for grass trimmer.
How to choose a line for the trimmer. length, diameter, limitations
You can use lines from different manufacturers for any electric or gasoline grass trimmer. Nevertheless, the best option is still the same brand consumables as the tool. It is believed that in this case it will benefit the longevity of operation and even reduce consumption.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line for the grass trimmer or metal cords. This replacement is ineffective and dangerous. A rope can injure a mower operator and others.
As for the length, you should count on the anticipated frequency of use of the grass trimmer. The more often, the more you should stock up on consumables. Information on the possible line diameter can be found on the body of the grass trimmer reel. There will most likely be a range indicated there. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the right option, taking into account the peculiarities of the area to be trimmed. The bigger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tougher grass.
How to remove the reel from a grass trimmer and retrieve the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you can tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel, it must be removed from there. The reel or guide is the device that is inside the mowing head, reel or drum. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with the fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!Changing the line can be done directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, you can perform the replacement work on the trimmer brushcutter or gasoline mower. The instruction on how to untwist the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it. Grasp the cover catches (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After gently pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to perform the replacement. Consider such nuances when disassembling:
- It is advisable to periodically remove the head to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it will be difficult or even impossible to do so if necessary
- If the screw has a square bore head, a screwdriver or bit of the appropriate size should be used to unscrew it to prevent the facets on the head from sticking
- When reassembling the system, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant, e.g. grease or machine oil
- If the edges of the screw are worn out, you can use special pliers to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require prior disassembly. To disassemble them, you should take hold of it, and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Is it possible to make a coil on the grass trimmer with their own hands
This homemade mowing head is attached to the shaft with a nut. Screw or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft can not. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
It is also possible to make a mowing head from a sheet of metal to fix a fishing line on it. How to do this, you can understand from the following video.
Determining the causes of the malfunction
If the grass trimmer engine does not start or stops right after starting, if the gearbox overheats or if extraneous noises are heard and vibration is clearly felt during the operation of the device, it is important to perform a visual inspection and identify a non-working unit
To optimize preparations, a simple diagnosis and a step-by-step check should be carried out before the repair:
- The presence of fuel in the tank and grease in the main nodes;
- serviceability and serviceability of the spark plug;
- The fuel and air filter of the brushcutter is clean;
- clogged exhaust duct and breather of the device;
- quality of combustive and lubricating materials used.
To determine if the lawn trimmer’s ignition is functional, you should determine if the spark plug is working by testing the appearance of a spark when it contacts the body of the functional device.
The spark plug itself can be replaced with a new one, pre-drying the spark plug channel, if necessary, the old element is also dried, cleaned with special devices and returned to its place.
Grass trimmer coil arrangement
Mower heads for trimmers come in different designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows a semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in a complete set the majority of gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The structure of the mowing head is simple enough. It includes the following parts:
How to Replace the Spool and Line on a Bosch Grass Trimmer
- Base of the mowing head;
- button for semi-automatic filament feeding;
- Bobbin (spool) in which the trimmer line is threaded;
- eyelets. through them the line for the trimmer comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line for trimmer (cord).
Preparing to change a fishing line
Before replacing the fishing line, you need to pull out and then disassemble the head. It usually includes a shroud, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with fishing line, a cover. It is necessary to unplug the electric grass trimmer (or shut off the gasoline one), and then proceed to remove the spool. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first, it is necessary to completely disassemble the head, and in the second, it is only necessary to remove it from the gearbox shaft to which it is attached.
- under the cover is the bobbin, it must be carefully pulled out of the housing (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully put aside so as not to lose it);
- after removing the bobbin, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes visible in the center of the housing, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- after removing the fasteners, it is necessary to take off the spool from the gearbox shaft by rocking and lifting it by holding it by the body.
The second method involves the following steps. The head of the reel is attached to the gearbox shaft. To disconnect it, it is necessary to block the shaft. Usually in the mowers, for example, “Champion” or “STIHL” brand, for this purpose, a hole is made, into which a nail, rod or screwdriver is inserted. After fixing the shaft in a fixed position, you need, holding the body, start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually applied to the left.
Now that the head is removed and disassembled, it is necessary to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the appropriate diameter for your grass trimmer by looking in the user manual or on the bobbin itself, this information is usually indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole where it comes from. If the bobbin runs smoothly, you can use it for work.
As a side note! To understand how much fishing line to wind for the bobbin, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the height of the skein was not more than the diameter of the sides. If the cord protrudes over the edges, you will not be able to hide the spool.
Design of the trimmer head
In the Russian market the most popular are considered semi-automatic trimmer heads. A typical representative of mechanisms of this type is a universal semi-automatic head, which is equipped with electric grass trimmers and lawnmowers of such well-known brands as Bosch, Huter, Husqvarna, etc. shown in the illustration: body (pos.
- body (pos.6) with a cover (pos.1), equipped with special eyes (pos.5), through which the cutting cord comes out;
- bobbin (pos.3) on which the trimmer line is wound (pos.7);
- the clamping spring (pos. 4).
There are other, simpler heads.
Replace the line for the trimmer with a disc or knife
When trimming gardens, park areas, and other places where you need to mow different types of plants, you often need to change the cutting tool in your trimmer. This is because the standard cord installed in the head of the lawnmower can only handle grass. But when a bush or a young tree sprout appears on the path of the worker, the line for the trimmer does not cope with this task and must be replaced with a more effective cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen similar situations and have supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with multiple “petals” or in the form of discs similar to circular saws.
If you replace the line for the trimmer with a knife with several “petals”, then this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the trimmer line on the disc, the user is able to trim bushes or small trees with the mower.
Blades and wheels are installed according to the following algorithm.
- First remove it by securing the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the nut and shoe, if the machine is not already in use.
- Install the saw or cutting blade so that they are positioned on a small ledge (bushing).
READ Grass trimmer gear lubrication STIHL Fs 55
- Install the attachment cover on the blade and screw the nut to the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten nut (counterclockwise) using a pipe wrench.
You can watch this video to get a better understanding of how to change the tool.