How to Repair a Gasoline Starter on a Chainsaw. Fuel supply system
How to assemble the starter on a chainsaw
An indispensable tool when cutting firewood and felling trees is a chainsaw. Following the manufacturer’s recommendations and taking the necessary preventive measures will ensure a long “life” of the unit. But even the most reliable mechanism over time malfunctions, most of which can be corrected with your own hands without the help of specialized centers. One of these malfunctions may lie in the chainsaw starter motor, which can be repaired by yourself if you follow a certain sequence of operations.
After using the chain saw for a long time, the starter mechanism becomes unusable. After one or more pulls on the starter rope, the crankshaft will not turn. This problem can be caused by the following reasons:
Before beginning work on diagnosing and repairing the starter mechanism, you must prepare the necessary tools and accessories that will significantly reduce the time of the operation. These include:
- A set of locksmith screwdrivers and a specialized set of brand-name tools included with the chainsaw.
- Sturdy cord for replacing a worn starter rope.
In the first phase of chainsaw starter repair it is necessary to identify the nature of the problem. To do this remove the side cover on the side of the starter mechanism, removing just a few screws. Depending on the manufacturer, a specialized or common locksmith screwdriver will be needed for this operation.
Next, we make an inspection of the inside of the guard. If there are no cracks and chips of plastic, proceed directly to the diagnostics of the ignition assembly. Unscrew the central bolt of the starter and remove the spring. There should not be any cracks and tears on its surface. To find yourself a similar force and the number of coils of the spring is problematic, so you need the help of specialized centers.
After removing the chain saw starter clamp and spring, the pulley with the wound cord is available for disassembly. The integrity of the cord indicates that each of the parts of the starter mechanism must be carefully reviewed.
The most common breakdowns of the tool include the following:
- Problems in the ignition system;
- stopping the chainsaw while it is cutting;
- loss of power during operation;
- Wear on some of the chainsaw’s structural components (brake band, drive sprocket, anti-vibration parts)
- Problems in the fuel supply system;
- Faults connected with the starter motor.
In addition, it is necessary to make a visual inspection of the chainsaw before starting work and preventive measures. These include chain lubrication, controlling the amount of fuel mixture, and presence of the required amount of oil.
The spark plug is unscrewed to check the condition of the spark plug.
Each of the malfunctions is corrected by a different technique. For example, the repair of the fuel system of a chainsaw should begin with the inspection of the appropriate filter. After that, check the correct adjustment of the carburetor, which is carried out with the help of screws. The clearances have to be set in strict accordance with the manufacturer’s manual that comes with the chainsaw.
Let’s try to repair the chain saw starter with our own hands
The chainsaw is an indispensable tool not only for the dacha owner, but also during construction work. If you need to stock up on firewood for the winter, then going to the woods without a chainsaw makes no sense at all. With proper use of the tool, it can last a long time, but in any case, sooner or later different types of malfunctions will occur. One of these malfunctions is a breakdown of the starter, resulting in difficulty starting the engine. In this situation, it is advisable to repair the chain saw starter with your own hands. How to do it, we will learn in the material.
Design and principle of operation of the starter chain saw
All types of chainsaws, both Chinese and European-made, are equipped with starters of identical design and operating principle. The universal design of starters allows to use these devices on branded chainsaws, as well as on the semi-official tools that come from the Celestial Empire. It is important to note only that some distinctive features have domestic tools.
The chain saw starter is an uncomplicated mechanism consisting of:
The principle of operation of such a device is also quite simple. When pulling the handle, which is connected through a cable to the drum of the ratchet mechanism, it moves. The drum moves and engages with the splines of the other drum on the shaft.
The chainsaw crankshaft is moved by hand and makes several revolutions. As soon as the crank returns to its original position, which is assisted by a return spring, the spline connection is lost, bringing the shaft to a halt.
With each movement of the crankshaft in the cylinder increases the amount of fuel-air mixture, which eventually contributes to its ignition.
The more power the tool has, the more jerks the starter motor has to make to start the engine. For acceleration of the return of the drum in its original position is responsible return spring, which are made using steel with high elasticity.
Over time, with constant use of the tool, there are problems with engine starting, or more precisely, with the functioning of the starter. If these problems occur, the starter can always be repaired. If you know the principle and design of the starter, then to carry out its repair with your own hands is not very difficult.
Typical breakdowns and chain saw starter repair
Before carrying out repairs, it is necessary to find out the causes of the breakdown. As the product is constantly exposed to dynamic and other kinds of loads, it does not exclude its failure. Common causes of starter breaks are a broken cord, frayed or chipped splines in the crank pulley, a damaged spring, cracked sheaves, and others. To determine why the saw won’t start, you’ll need to do a proper revision of the starter mechanism. Let’s look at the main types of faults, as well as find out how to properly repair the product.
Replacing the cord
The starter cord is a strong rope, which is sufficiently resistant to wear, but even its technical properties do not save it from damage. The rope rubs against the housing of the starter cover each time the tool is started, which causes it to gradually fray and wear out.
If there was a chafing of the cord, then to replace it you will need to disassemble the body of the assembly. After removing the cover, it is necessary to raise the drum, but only in such a way that it does not slip out of its seats. It is recommended to do such work together with your partner, who will fix the spring, and you will replace the rope. Remains of the old rope should be removed, then secure the new product in the handle and in the groove of the drum. The cable should then be wrapped around the roller, and finally the body should be assembled.
Good to know! Before fixing the cable in the handle, you should pass it through the appropriate hole in the starter cover.
How to replace the chain saw starter spring
If there is damage to the spring, which is often the case with Chinese tools, then the mechanism can only be repaired by replacing it. But if it is damaged at the connection point, that is, the ear is cracked, then it can be repaired.
Repair of the spring is to heat the place of destruction up to 600 degrees, then slowly cool it down to 100 degrees, in which case you should wrap the end in the form of a fragment. Thus, it will be possible to avoid the loss of elasticity of the product, which will prolong its service life. Although most specialists simply replace the product with a new one.
The process of replacing the spring is carried out in the following sequence:
- Initially the cage or drum of the mechanism is removed.
- There is a spring inside the drum. To remove it, you will need to fix the upper part, and then pull aside the starter handle.
- When the old spring has been removed, a new one should be installed. At the same time it is necessary to carry out cleaning of the housing.
- When installing a new spring, it is necessary to insert it into the starter, and then catch the tendril in the groove.
- At the end of the work you can put the drum and install the starter cover in place.
A detailed process of replacing the spring is shown at
Handwheel catches replacement
If it is necessary to replace the handwheel pawls or tabs, it is also easy to do. To do this you will need to remove the flywheel, and then remove the pawls. Install new dogs should be only those that were originally (plastic or metal). This is very important, since the replacement of plastic dogs on the metal, will lead to an accelerated wear of the handwheel. The details of replacing chainsaw starter cogs are discussed in the video below.
It is important to note that you do not need special skills or experience to repair the chain saw starter. All work can be done by yourself if you treat the repair process with responsibility. Timely preventive maintenance of the chainsaw will avoid breakdowns when working in the field.
The chain saw starter
The starter motor is one of the most important mechanisms in any modern chainsaw. It is the starter that determines the start of the engine tool in all weather conditions. chain saw starter has a simple design, it can be easily serviced and repaired by hand. However, in order to fix the failure, you must first find its cause. This most often requires complete disassembly of the original mechanism.
Most chainsaws have the same starter motor. That’s why some stores offer customers universal starters, which are suitable for mounting on models from STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner. Nevertheless, some differences from most have domestic chainsaw starters Ural or Lesnik.
As standard, the chainsaw starter consists of a number of parts.
On top of all the elements of the starter is installed a protective cover. The original principle of operation of most starting mechanisms is also almost the same. In a special groove in the chain saw’s body there is a handle that holds the cable. When the handle is raised sharply, the latter is understood to be. At that moment, the ratchet is triggered, which through the drum transmits the force to another drum with splines, located on the shaft of the engine.
When pulling the regular cable, the chainsaw motor shaft begins to rotate, which leads to compression of the existing fuel mixture, located at this time between the cylinder head and the regular piston.
Husqvarna chainsaw fuel line check and replace
As the volume of the engine cylinder increases, the amount of fuel mixture required for its future ignition increases at the same time. Accordingly, the operator of a high-powered saw needs to make more jerks than the owner of a low-powered household tool. To increase the rate at which the drum returns to its original position, manufacturers of heavy-duty chainsaws use resilient return springs.
Комментарии и мнения владельцев 38
thought, looked, chose, and bought a Huska, but not the one that is “newer”, and an order of magnitude older model, the so-called American, my neighbor has one that is newer, but a hundred percent even though the Swedish, but Chinese, so even the sound they differ, his even somehow I would say rings, as mine just ferrrrari.So far in one year I’ve burned five liters of already (oil), drove the whole bar into the acacia, without even a hint of breath. Works until the man himself gets tired, how glad I am that I did not take this Chinese garbage. I have a grass mower, Chinese, I don’t start it, it’s a gearbox or carburetor, if it wouldn’t start I’d kick it the hell out and take a manual mower.
When 13-14 years ago I was involved in the firewood was my Oleo-Mac 936, at that time a strange machine (compared to Husky Stilyamii Partners), a real Italian.It worked its way through without a hitch.And what serious demand can there be, from a Chinese saw.And the starter spring broke on the Oleo-Mac several times.
I was offered, but I turned it down, because for me, he too, “strange”, then feared to run to the spare parts, I did not know what they eat it.
How To Repair Chainsaw | Starting Problems | ChainSaw Repairing Video
great! I have the same shit only Patriot garden.Has been running for three years, made a pile of firewood for heating seasons.and I had the exact same breakdown. the tip of the return spring broke.I rebent it and it’s fine. I guess it’s a universal bug.
Chainsaw starter cord replacement
Starter for chain saw. Let’s learn how to self-repair
For a sharp start any chainsaw requires a starter. The accelerated cranking of the tool’s crankshaft compresses the fuel-air consistency supplied to the engine and ignites it. That’s why chain saw starter mechanism defines normal functioning of the whole mechanism.
Chainsaw starter device
Virtually all of the leading chainsaw manufacturers equip their products with starters of similar principle of action. It is no coincidence that specialized stores offer universal designs of starters, which are ideally suited to both chainsaws STIHL, Husqvarna, Makita, and the Chinese semi-official imitations of the brand-name. Some features have only starters for chainsaws made in Russia (Lesnik, Ural and others).
Main faults of the grass trimmer starter
It is not difficult to determine the cause of the starter unit failure. There are several basic options:
Specified parts are shown in the photo below.
It could happen that the starter mechanism is accidentally broken. The consequences will be dire if the torn rope gets wrapped around the flywheel of a running engine: then the spring will burst and the pulley will be torn. But such cases, when a complete replacement of the starter unit is required, are extremely rare. In most cases, to fix the mechanism, all you have to do is put a new spring or replace the cord.
How to Properly Put a Starter on a Chainsaw
How to start a chainsaw: a couple of effective ways
Chainsaws vary in design features, but in most cases the principle of assembly follows two standard schemes. Many devices in the manual contain information about the need to turn on the emergency brake before starting the on/off procedure.
First it is necessary to master the device of the plant and learn the basic ways to fix failures, then the person will have the ability to fully control the device.
A brief overview of the plant’s design
The chainsaw is powered by the. This is a simple device, the design of which has no special bells and whistles. It usually works fine even in harsh conditions.Read about the device of the plant Functionality is provided by the structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see. Adjusting the carburetor).
- Centrifugal clutch.
- Ignition system, virtually contactless in all units.
- A carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter, and gas cylinder, but sometimes it also has additional parts.
- Chain (see How to Sharpen a Chain (see How to Sharpen a Chain)). Chain oil).
- Tensioning mechanism and chain brake (see., How to sharpen the chain).
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so it is also safer and more convenient to engage the gear without using brake equipment.
If one is not confident in one’s knowledge and accuracy, then the brake should be activated in reverse. If the procedure is correct, the device does not start, the mechanism does not make it dangerous for human action.
1 diagram of the standard mechanism
- Before you start the chainsaw, you need to move the choke, which acts as a control lever, to the bottom, compared to the optimal position. First press the button in charge of the throttle. Only if this condition is met, you can normally move the damper to the bottom stop.
The starter knob is jerked again then until the system starts. When the device begins to work actively, the high speed is immediately noticeable, because the throttle is at a high level. It should be remembered that sometimes chainsaws are delivered without a starter, then all the actions are made with this element.
In our rating, chainsaws by quality, you will find all chainsaws with an optimal price to quality ratio.
Also our article will help you make a choice in favor of this or that brand of chainsaw.
The chainsaw is made in Russia. Low price and reasonably high quality.
2 diagrams of the standard mechanism
- The ignition is on. To do this, move the toggle switch to the desired position or move the switch.
- You usually need to push the primer to pump more than twice. Gasoline is poured into it, after which the device must be pressed more than three times.
You need to take the starter crank and tighten in a sharp motion until the ignition process is heard. It is marked by the establishment and almost instantaneous shutdown of the engine. The flap should then be withdrawn to its original position, checking that it reaches the stop.
Again, the starter knob is jerked to the location of the device. Before carrying out this action, you need to make sure that this is the way to get the chainsaw. Some devices have a new ignition system.
Chainsaw starter repair. With your own hands.
How to make a starter motor on a chainsaw yourself? How to bend the spring on the chain saw starter? How to wind the spring
Repairing your chainsaw starter with your own hands
starter motor for chinese chainsaw 5 piece link-
When the machine stops all the time, you need to restart it systematically (see the section “Restarting the machine”)., What to do when a chainsaw stops when you press the gas). After a while the motor gains momentum and is able to maintain active operation without interruption.
For more information, see.
if it fails
When all the actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start working, then there are failures in its mechanism.
Common and easily correctable problems, such as no spark. clogging of the air filter are common causes of this phenomenon. To start your chainsaw, you will need to find the cause and take the necessary steps to fix it.
Only the right steps need to be taken. If one does not know what to do, one does not need to commit rash. Disassembly of the device is forbidden, especially care should be taken with the carburetor.
Do not loosen the screws on it as if its device caused a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
Lists the actions that must be performed in strict order. Only when moving from one activity to the next can you determine the exact cause of the problem and fix it quickly without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions to be performed in the event of a chainsaw failure:
- First of all, it is enough to keep the device. This is especially true for saws that have been in use recently. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, because during this time the mechanism will cool down, and in the absence of other breaks it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that during the establishment of the device is poured on the candle. If this unpleasant property has occurred, it is enough to wait for a very short pause and repeat all the steps for winding the motor.
- The cover of the housing is unscrewed from the device for removing the air filter. The landing process is done in the absence of the device. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is a dirty filter. If ignition has occurred without it, that is the cause. To eliminate these problems, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water with soap and then dry. You can also replace the old element with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. There is a spark test. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. This usually helps, and a spark appears, but in some cases, and when the mixture is replaced, there is no spark.
How to Repair a Starter on a Chainsaw
The cause of malfunction of the chainsaw starting system may be:
- Drive pulley. This part is subject to high axial and radial loads, so it is advisable to inspect the pulley for damage and cracks on the back of the housing before starting work. If necessary, repair the part or replace it with a new one.
- Spring mechanism. If it has lost its properties or if there are cracks or breaks in it, this element must be replaced. It is also recommended to inspect the attachment points for defects.
- The starter system rope. Inspect the rope for wear and tear and damage. If necessary, replace the part and install it on the pulley.
To diagnose the starting system of the tool, proceed as follows
- Unscrew the fastening screws and remove the cover.
- Remove the screw that secures the mechanism to the protective cover.
- Softly start the starter by removing the spring and clamps.
- To inspect for wear and defects, dismantle the coil with the rope.
- Check the fuel system for water. If there is water inside the system, the fuel fluid must be replaced.
- Inspect the power unit for overfilling with fuel fluid. In this case, you need to unscrew and dry the spark plug, pull the starter, removing the air damper.
- Check the spark plug for spark.
See ” How to make your own snowmobile and other homemade Druzhba chain saw
Rerouting the cord
In order to make the replacement of the cord, you will need the following tools:
Replace the starter cord as follows:
- It is necessary to unscrew the fixing screws that hold the side cover, using a screwdriver.
- Then remove the starter from the tool body.
- After that, it is necessary to turn the cover and conduct an inspection.
- Then remove the clamp and spring.
- It is necessary to untie the knot on the cord.
- It is necessary to pull out the pulley, on which the cord is wound. Remove the cord and replace it with a new one.
- Then put the pulley in place and tie the rope into a knot. Install the clamp and spring.
- Then screw the cover with the fastening screws.
- Replace the starter and fasten the retaining screws.
Repair the spring
Procedure for repairing the starter spring:
- Remove the starter from the tool body.
- Remove the cover plate.
- Wrap the cord around the end of the pulley to avoid turning the mechanism.
- Insert the other end of the cord through the opening of the protective cover.
- Extend the cord by 17-20 cm to check the pulley rotation of the spring mechanism.
- Check the spring action after pulling and releasing the mechanism.
- Unscrew the pulley circle from the side of the alternator by removing the 3 mounting bolts.
- Dismantle the pulley and cord.
- Check the condition of the parts for wear and damage and breaks. If the breakage of the spring is small, the defect can be repaired by welding.
How to install the spring
In order to install a new spring, you need to do the following steps: